Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

y_3 posted:

Yeah and it's still faster with the macho brace. Really good stuff.

Nah, you want Power Items.

Macho Brace will net you like, 40 EVs at most, 20 minimum. Power Items give you 50 minimum, 60 maximum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

HoneyBoy posted:

Nah, you want Power Items.

Macho Brace will net you like, 40 EVs at most, 20 minimum. Power Items give you 50 minimum, 60 maximum.

Well, yeah. I meant faster than super training.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Ok, how do I add someone as a friend in the PSS? I entered his friend code in the home screen, he said he did the same with mine, but I don't know how to make him appear in the friend section in game to trade and interact with. Thanks

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

Fried Chicken posted:

Ok, how do I add someone as a friend in the PSS? I entered his friend code in the home screen, he said he did the same with mine, but I don't know how to make him appear in the friend section in game to trade and interact with. Thanks

Dumb question, but are you sure the PSS is connected to the internet and you don't just have the wireless switch on?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
They should show up automatically. Be sure that you are connected to the Internet within Pokemon by pushing the button at the top. Just because the wireless switch is on and it shows you're on the Internet on the home screen doesn't mean you're connected within the game.

e:fb

Also, question: what determines the points you get for hitting in power training? I've noticed that the game can be super easy with some Pokemon but practically impossible with others?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I am connected, but I still don't see them.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Fried Chicken posted:

I am connected, but I still don't see them.

go back to Home and then to your friends list again. Make sure it says that they were added to your friends list. Then go back and turn the PSS Online Function on. I've also had it display new friends in the Passerby section.

VVV That just blew my mind.

Unbound fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 31, 2013

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Dexie posted:

I just ran into Dugtrio in the badlands area.

Now, maybe I'm Slowpoking like hell on this, but when did they change Dugtrio's design? He used to have angry eyebrows and be a darker shade of brown than Diglett, but in X/Y he's the same color and doesn't look mad. He lost his eyebrows. This is new to X/Y, right? Why on earth did they change him?

He's never been a different color than Diglett and he only has the angry eyebrows on odd-numbered generations. No, really. Look it up.

LAY-ZX fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 31, 2013

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

So, if pokemon above 50 are downleveled to 50 for online battles, does that mean it's totally fine for me to not level my battling pokemon above 50? (Aside from when I need to get certain moves above 50 of course).

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

BattleCake posted:

So, if pokemon above 50 are downleveled to 50 for online battles, does that mean it's totally fine for me to not level my battling pokemon above 50? (Aside from when I need to get certain moves above 50 of course).
They're levelled up as well as down, so you can stop when they have all the moves they need.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Bloop the Malamar: Contrary is so much fun!
Polukranos the Dragalge: Great coverage with thunderbolt, he was killing fairies before they could touch him.
Eiffel 65 the Tyrantrum: Horrible nature, horrible IVs, but he's shiny and still hit like a truck.
Ser Pounce the Pyroar: I was a little disappointed with his overall performance, but he destroyed the steel trainer without taking a single point of damage.
Noibert the Noivern: Took out the Dragon trainer and Champion solo. In my heart, he is my original starter.
Stumpy the Trevenent: Meh. Probably would have been better served with an ice or fairy type.

Now the hunt for dittos begins in earnest.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Crosscontaminant posted:

They're levelled up as well as down, so you can stop when they have all the moves they need.

I went into Free Battles today and the first thing I sent out was a level 47 Scolipede.

I know you can change the rules when you challenge someone on the PSS, and you can go in and it'll make your team flat 50, but that didn't work using Battle Spot. I must've done something wrong, but it's kind of lame that I send out my level 24 Pinsir and forfeit once I realize how dumb that is.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
I wonder how Game Freak chose which Pokemon to give mega evolutions too. How could they skip giving one to Lapras? It makes so much sense.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
And ruin my precious Lapras by giving it blonde hair or something? No thanks.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

MustelaFuro posted:

I wonder how Game Freak chose which Pokemon to give mega evolutions too. How could they skip giving one to Lapras? It makes so much sense.

Clearly only the coolest pokemon deserve mega evolutions. Maybe Lapras just isn't cool??? Not as cool as Garchomp, Mawile, and Pinsir that's for sure.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Garchomp gets a mega-evolution. People hate him for being OP enough. This is something to celebrate to me.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
Several uncool Pokemon got mega evolutions. I don't know why they gave pseudo-legendary Pokemon mega evolutions. It just seems redundant. Oh well. Maybe next game.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

5er posted:

Garchomp gets a mega-evolution. People hate him for being OP enough. This is something to celebrate to me.

His mega evolution is kind of worse, except for the turn where you mega evolve him.

His speed drops, but turn order is decided before you mega-evolve. So he has MEGA ATTACK with his good old Base 102 speed for that first turn.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Someone suggested at one point that they gave a whole bunch of really popular good Pokémon Mega Evolutions so they could trumpet the concept - now that it's no longer new they can start quietly adding Mega Evolutions for underpowered Pokémon which really need it, like they already have with Mawile.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I've thought about it and come to the sad realization that Farfetch'd will most likely never get a Mega-evolution. The whole point of Farfetch'd is that he sucks. He's the Don Quixote Pokemon.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I was already pretty bad at making good team compositions, can people with more experience/better sense suggest some more pokemon to fill out a team?
Currently I think I want to use Breloom, because I've always liked it and apparently it picked up Technician since I last used it, which is pretty cool.
I'm thinking something like

Breloom @ Choice Band
Adamant
Technician
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
- Mach Punch
- Low Sweep
- Bullet Seed
- Stone Edge / Rock Tomb

This is pretty standard as far as I know, the only adjustment is considering Rock Tomb over Stone Edge, since Rock Tomb got a buff to 60BP, technician makes it very comparable to Stone Edge: it trades 10 base power for a +15% boost in accuracy while also lowering the speed (like low sweep). Choice Band for pure power.

I think I'd also would like some variation of Gengar (maybe even mega gengar). I know Gengar is a fairly versatile pokemon so maybe It'd be better to figure out the rest of my team before it.

Starmie has been one of my favorite pokemon since Gen 1, so if I can fit that in that'd be cool. Back when I played on the old battle simulator I liked running a boltbeam starmie, with some kind of choice item, but my understanding is Starmie is very popular as a rapid spinner right now.
Taken from smogon:
Starmie @ Life Orb
Timid
Analytic
- Hydro Pump / Surf (Surf might be a little better with power nerfs)
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

I still need three other pokemon I guess.

e; Also, there is the obligatory Scizor to consider, but he can't learn superpower yet. Are there good sets that don't use super power? Probably some variation of a swords dance once I'd imagine.

RME fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 31, 2013

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

noirstronaut posted:

Maybe shiny Elekid doesn't exist?

The Masuda Method guarantees nothing. My little brother went through an entire week of hatching chikorita eggs in his spare time and got nothing for it. Breeding for a shiny seems akin to banging your head against a wall to me.

On the other hand, I think that transition to 3D helped Electivire since his animations are great, so I guess it will feel worth it if you do get a shiny one a month from now.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I was mostly kidding and like all those pokemon. The concept of mega evolution is fine by me and i hope a lot of lame pokemon and cool pokemon get it. Its an interesting shake up for playing other people I just wish they used it more in single player.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

RME posted:

Breloom @ Choice Band
Adamant
Technician
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
- Mach Punch
- Low Sweep
- Bullet Seed
- Stone Edge / Rock Tomb
Low Sweep isn't good for Breloom anymore - it got nerfed from 60 to 65 damage. If you're going to go with Techniloom, go with Wake-Up Slap or Force Palm, and Spore for the fourth slot. Poison Heal Breloom is still good, you could try SubPunch with a Toxic Orb, or just an all-out attacker with either Life Orb or Choice Band.

Crosscontaminant fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 31, 2013

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Crosscontaminant posted:

Low Sweep isn't good for Breloom anymore - it got nerfed from 60 to 65 damage. If you're going to go with Techniloom, go with Wake-Up Slap or Force Palm, and Spore for the fourth slot. Poison Heal Breloom is still good, you could try SubPunch with a Toxic Orb, or just an all-out attacker with either Life Orb or Choice Band.

How about Mach Punch / Force Palm / Bullet Seed / Rock Tomb
Rock tomb retains the -Speed effect that low sweep had and hits for the same power, unfortunately lacks STAB. Spore is cool but I'd switch to life orb for that. Force Palm is kind of a gamble to get that Paralysis, but it's absolutely crippling if it lands.
SubPunch is an option, but I already have a technician breloom to start breeding from.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Rock Tomb is too inaccurate for its power, to be honest. You're better off with Stone Edge. Other than that, looks good.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Crosscontaminant posted:

Rock Tomb is too inaccurate for its power, to be honest. You're better off with Stone Edge. Other than that, looks good.

Rock Tomb is 95% and 60BP (90 w/ Tech) compared to Stone Edge's 80% and 100BP, sure you're not thinking about Gen V?

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

RME posted:

Starmie has been one of my favorite pokemon since Gen 1, so if I can fit that in that'd be cool. Back when I played on the old battle simulator I liked running a boltbeam starmie, with some kind of choice item, but my understanding is Starmie is very popular as a rapid spinner right now.
Taken from smogon:
Starmie @ Life Orb
Timid
Analytic
- Hydro Pump / Surf (Surf might be a little better with power nerfs)
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

I still need three other pokemon I guess.

e; Also, there is the obligatory Scizor to consider, but he can't learn superpower yet. Are there good sets that don't use super power? Probably some variation of a swords dance once I'd imagine.

How is Starmie without recover? Rapid spin does seem helpful if your team needs it but life orbed rapid spin has always felt bad to me.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

RME posted:

Rock Tomb is 95% and 60BP (90 w/ Tech) compared to Stone Edge's 80% and 100BP, sure you're not thinking about Gen V?
I didn't know Rock Tomb got a buff. Carry on.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Dexie posted:

Braviary for Independence Day.

Luvdisc for Valentine's Day.

Kangaskhan on Mother's Day.

poo poo, Dia de los Muertos already passed, didn't it?

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I might seriously have a heart attack if I continue to play with Budew in Amie :3:

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Gonna give a Smeargle a Power Herb and start Baton Passing Geomancy to things that should never ever have it.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

^^^Good luck getting a pass off without a Focus Sash.

GeckoMissingo posted:

How is Starmie without recover? Rapid spin does seem helpful if your team needs it but life orbed rapid spin has always felt bad to me.

I've never liked Recover on Starmie. Starmie has pretty lovely bulk and tends to bring in Ghosts looking to spin block, who hit it super-effectively. If you don't want to Rapid Spin you might as well just use Greninja, who is faster, hits slightly harder and has Protean to make up for a worse movepool.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Level Slide posted:

You have another couple of days. October 31 to November 2.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

WrightOfWay posted:

^^^Good luck getting a pass off without a Focus Sash.

I'll figure it out. :colbert:

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Level Slide posted:

Nah it's the next three days. Speaking of, it's almost Halloween, post Ghosts.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

LAY-ZX posted:

I'll figure it out. :colbert:

Mat Block. Speaking of which, why do I have a feeling Mat Block is going to singlehandedly bring Feint into the realm of usability?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Goddamnit, I keep forgetting that online battles are six on six. Second time in a row I've sent 3 out out of habit :saddowns:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

LAY-ZX posted:

He's never been a different color than Diglett and he only has the angry eyebrows on odd-numbered generations. No, really. Look it up.

Surely you're joking. I'll just go and look that up, and...

...huh. How about that. What a weird bit of trivia.

(Could have sworn he was a darker shade of brown though. Guess that just shows how little I care about Dugtrio.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]
Have they changed how TM moves are inherited? My understanding was that if the father knows a TM move that the child is also capable of learning by TM, then the child will get hatch knowing the move. I'm breeding Phanpies with a Piloswine father that knows Earthquake and Ice Shard, but the babies are only getting Ice Shard. Serebii says that Phanpy can learn Earthquake from TM26, so I don't know what's up.

• Locked thread