Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

KATY PERRY posted:

Are the US clothes sizes just freakishly huge when compared to european? The Homestuck hoodie I bought is gigantic when compared to my regular XL clothes

Pretty much. Also there's no standard sizing. I can wear jeans anywhere in size from a 3 to a 9 depending on the brand which is a HUGE difference if you compare a 3 and a 9 from the same brand.

I'm looking at you, Old Navy. Trying to make me think I'm a size 3 when any other brand's size 3 is too small for me to even get one thigh into, let alone pull them all the way up and button them.

The same goes with shirts, and some brands are REALLY bad about deceptive sizing. I am convinced that Hollister is a store for midgets since my 4'11 friend says shopping there makes her feel "normal", but I have to wear a large there when I'm normally a medium-small. But at Aeropostale (which is another trendy mall store like Hollister) I can comfortably wear their small and sometimes even x-small shirts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Install Windows posted:

Recuva is a free and easy to use utility that will turn up all things you've deleted and have a chance of recovering, but be warned it's likely that the files will have been overwritten:
http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Ignore the "buy now" beg. The free version works perfectly fine.

This is great, thank you. Seriously this is awesome.

E: Unfortunately I was unable to find the files.

So, as a followup. Is there a way to search a drive for all files of a certain type. Example; is there a way to search all .doc/.docx files in Drive C?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 30, 2013

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

This is great, thank you. Seriously this is awesome.

E: Unfortunately I was unable to find the files.

So, as a followup. Is there a way to search a drive for all files of a certain type. Example; is there a way to search all .doc/.docx files in Drive C?
Set your view properties to show file extensions, then search for ".txt?"

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Cakefool posted:

You want a camera case, comes in a million sizes, padded inside, any outside finish you want.

I would have never thought of this. Thanks!!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Thanatosian posted:

Set your view properties to show file extensions, then search for ".txt?"

And in one fell swoop, Thanatosian has helped a goon accomplish his goals. You are a great goon, and I thank you. For reals, thank you.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

Someone filled in the ACH on one of the posters. I wish!!

razz posted:

Pretty much. Also there's no standard sizing. I can wear jeans anywhere in size from a 3 to a 9 depending on the brand which is a HUGE difference if you compare a 3 and a 9 from the same brand.

I'm looking at you, Old Navy. Trying to make me think I'm a size 3 when any other brand's size 3 is too small for me to even get one thigh into, let alone pull them all the way up and button them.

Wait, women's (pants at least) clothes are really that different in sizing compared to men's? I suppose I'm lucky in that, for pants, I just need to know waist size x hip height and that super skinny jeans will not fit me.

Smarmy Coworker fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 30, 2013

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ARACHNOTRON posted:

Wait, women's (pants at least) clothes are really that different in sizing compared to men's? I suppose I'm lucky in that, for pants, I just need to know waist size x hip height and that super skinny jeans will not fit me.

Unfortunately, it's not always that easy for us guys, either. I went to buy some new jeans this past weekend, and looked for the same measurements as the pants I was wearing. Both jeans I tried on were considerably longer than what I was wearing, and I had to bump up an inch in the waist. Granted, that's a far cry from fitting into a 3 or a 9, but I wish it were still "I wear WxL always".

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

ARACHNOTRON posted:

Yes and it sucks, especially since women's pants sizes are completely arbitrary and it is up to each brand to decide how big a particular size should be. There is no standard. So yes there is a HUGE difference in women's pants size compared to men's. I really would love it if you could buy women's pants in actual measurements (in inches, like men can) but according to the media/apparel industry/whoever, that would make women "insecure" somehow, by knowing exactly how big they are I guess, instead of just being able to claim they are some arbitrary number size which is supposedly somehow "nicer".

And as hooah pointed out, men's clothing makers are jumping on this bandwagon as well. There's a picture somewhere on the internet (can't find it right now) of a "38 inch men's belt" or something like that from different brands, and none of them are the same length. My husband often has to go up/down a couple inches on his pants size which is ridiculous because you think a 34 would be a 34 across the board but nope.

razz fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 30, 2013

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

ARACHNOTRON posted:

Wait, women's (pants at least) clothes are really that different in sizing compared to men's?

Yes, and not just between clothing brand and clothing brand---sometimes different colors of the same style from the same clothing brand will differ widely in sizing, presumably because they're made at different factories. This is famously true of Old Navy clothes, where a size 10 pair of Rockstar mid-rise skinny jeans in blue can be the exact same dimensions as the size 6 pair of Rockstar mid-rise skinny jeans in red, but it's true of higher-priced lines like Ralph Lauren as well.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
Dear god

Well at least fitting rooms exist, though some places don't have them for some reason.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

KATY PERRY posted:

Are the US clothes sizes just freakishly huge when compared to european? The Homestuck hoodie I bought is gigantic when compared to my regular XL clothes

US sizes are not reliable. It depends on manufacturer, product line, season, moon phase and the dollar/yen conversion rate. Not all European sizes are the same either, though.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

poopkitty posted:

US sizes are not reliable. It depends on manufacturer, product line, season, moon phase and the dollar/yen conversion rate. Not all European sizes are the same either, though.

I can vouch for this. I recently bought two pairs of pants made by the same manufacturer. Same style, same color, same listed size. One pair was slightly larger than the other.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How long should your run-of-the-mill water heater tank last these days? A relative of mine just had to get his replaced, and the plumber said that they're only good for 8-10 years on well water nowadays. My relative says the first one in his house lasted 20 years, and the second about 15. If this is true, why are they lasting less time now?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

razz posted:

My husband often has to go up/down a couple inches on his pants size which is ridiculous because you think a 34 would be a 34 across the board but nope.

Not near as bad as what you ladies face it sounds like. I buy 34 or 36 waist depending on brand but all my belts are 38 or 40. wtf? (all my belts are from walmart though)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

hooah posted:

How long should your run-of-the-mill water heater tank last these days? A relative of mine just had to get his replaced, and the plumber said that they're only good for 8-10 years on well water nowadays. My relative says the first one in his house lasted 20 years, and the second about 15. If this is true, why are they lasting less time now?

That depends on whether you replace the anode or not.

You can get plenty of time out of one if you do, but most people don't even know that's a thing.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Plus the longevity can also be high dependent on your water quality, what kind of minerals are in there, do you do maintenance and drain the thing occasionally, etc.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

FCKGW posted:

Plus the longevity can also be high dependent on your water quality, what kind of minerals are in there, do you do maintenance and drain the thing occasionally, etc.

Sure, but these are all in the same place, with basically the same water quality (although his well did get sand in it some years back), and I would think the same (lack of) maintenance.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Can anyone identify the music that starts at 39:16 in this episode of American Pickers? http://www.history.com/shows/american-pickers/videos/american-pickers-london-calling

I know its got to be from a movie I've seen a hundred times.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

razz posted:

Yes and it sucks, especially since women's pants sizes are completely arbitrary and it is up to each brand to decide how big a particular size should be. There is no standard. So yes there is a HUGE difference in women's pants size compared to men's. I really would love it if you could buy women's pants in actual measurements (in inches, like men can) but according to the media/apparel industry/whoever, that would make women "insecure" somehow, by knowing exactly how big they are I guess, instead of just being able to claim they are some arbitrary number size which is supposedly somehow "nicer".

And as hooah pointed out, men's clothing makers are jumping on this bandwagon as well. There's a picture somewhere on the internet (can't find it right now) of a "38 inch men's belt" or something like that from different brands, and none of them are the same length. My husband often has to go up/down a couple inches on his pants size which is ridiculous because you think a 34 would be a 34 across the board but nope.

This drives me crazy as well. I thought sizing was supposed to be 20+ the number on size tag. Eg: a 6 would be a 26 inch waist. But noooo each store has to have thier own version of it so it's a try it on guessing game.
I wonder if it was the popularity of the hip hugger jeans that did it? You could be a size 7 waist but to fit your hips you'd have to buy a size 11 and they thought poo poo, nobody wants to 'be' that size.
...deep thoughts.

Optimus Prime Ribs
Jul 25, 2007

Does anyone know how those old-timey (i.e. before any form of remote control technology existed) land mines were buried without them being set off? I can only think of two possible explanations:
  • The mine has a long wire attached to it, one end of which is not buried, and cutting the wire arms the mine (kind of like pulling the pin on a grenade).
  • The mine were designed in a way such that the dirt would push the pressure gauge down to the point it is just about to go off, and is basically a hair trigger.
I know next to nothing about how really old land mines worked, so both of those could be way off.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
They take a good bit of weight to set off. A couple inches of dirt isn't close to how much a person weighs. Ideally they wouldn't explode if a rabbit or bird decides to hop on top of it.

Optimus Prime Ribs
Jul 25, 2007

For some reason I had it in my head that they were buried over a foot underground or something stupid, but that makes much more sense (and Occam's razor holds true once again). Now that I think about it, it would be pretty damned ineffective to have mines be that sensitive since they could be set off by heavy rain, or, to use your example, wild animals.

:ms:

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

FogHelmut posted:

Can anyone identify the music that starts at 39:16 in this episode of American Pickers? http://www.history.com/shows/american-pickers/videos/american-pickers-london-calling

I can't check that specific episode because it redirects me to the Canadian History site, but I can tell you most of the songs come from a service called Jingle Punks. They often use "sound alike" songs too, so it might remind you of something without being exactly the same song.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

When someone refers to "buying a house in cash" or a business having "$1B cash assets" are they really referring to "buying a house with five thousand in currency and a wire transfer" and business having "about a billion in fairly liquid assets?"

Let's say I wanted to literally buy a house with cash. I mean empty out a checking account with $250,000- and leave carrying currency. Exactly how hard would this be?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Mescal posted:

When someone refers to "buying a house in cash" or a business having "$1B cash assets" are they really referring to "buying a house with five thousand in currency and a wire transfer" and business having "about a billion in fairly liquid assets?"

Let's say I wanted to literally buy a house with cash. I mean empty out a checking account with $250,000- and leave carrying currency. Exactly how hard would this be?

That would be a terribly dumb thing to do. What if you get mugged? How is the realtor going to verify -- count out your $250k by hand? Hope you've got several hours to kill, and you better hope he doesn't miscount or lose track.

Yes, it's a wire transfer or a cashier's check.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

KATY PERRY posted:

Funny story, my father was about my size (6'0", 150 lbs.) in his mid 20s and he still has a Schwan's uniform from that time. It is a size large and fits me perfectly (I am 27). There are size small items that I buy now that are way too big... I think US mens sizes have inflated quite a bit in the last few decades.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

razz posted:

This is one of those things I learned from having sisters.

It is practically impossible to buy a woman clothing as a surprise present. Because it will never fit right, so they'll just have to return it to get something that actually fits. So it just saves everyone a lot of hassle to just say 'gently caress it', and just give a gift card for a present.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

With arbitrary sizing where they don't specify what it means, I can see how "size 6" can vary between different items or brands, but when clothes are advertised according to actual real measurements, but they do that "vanity sizing" thing where they actually give the wrong measurements, how is that not false advertising?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

It's this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDYfJNcVW-o

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Tiggum posted:

With arbitrary sizing where they don't specify what it means, I can see how "size 6" can vary between different items or brands, but when clothes are advertised according to actual real measurements, but they do that "vanity sizing" thing where they actually give the wrong measurements, how is that not false advertising?

Depending on the cut, jeans even of the same size can vary between making you sing Soprano from wearing them, to the crotch is somewhere around knee level. And since the people in charge of prosecuting false advertising usually wear tailored suits, I don't see a big push to punish people.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Mescal posted:

Yes. "Buying something with cash" is usually contrasted with taking out a loan or a mortgage in order to afford it. "Cash assets" of a business are currency, rather than having $2 million worth of raw coffee beans sitting in warehouses around the globe.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Ah, so I've heard it a hundred times but probably not in a movie. Thanks.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I can vouch for this. I recently bought two pairs of pants made by the same manufacturer. Same style, same color, same listed size. One pair was slightly larger than the other.

This is an issue even with major manufacturers like Levis. I noticed I had two pairs of same wash of 514s that fit completely differently.

With 511s the cut varies between colors.

There is a manufacturer code inside them I use as a reference to know which is the one I like.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
I'm an American needing to get a passport to leave the country. Couldn't find much in the Travel section of ask/tell and I'm a huge dumb baby who is overwhelmed by the millions of google results charging different prices for different methods. Even a helpful link would be nice or at least someone to point me at something "official". Some information on Visas would be nice to but the passport is step one.

Edit: Haha, was reading the megathread travelling sticky and "How do you get a passport? You Google for "How do I get MY COUNTRY passport." How do you know how long it takes? You Google for "How long does it take to get a MY COUNTRY passport." Dumbass."

Ok I guess I'm big boy enough to figure it out but I'll leave my question up in case anyone has anything to add. Thanks.

Rap Music and Dope fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 31, 2013

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Rap Music and Dope posted:

I'm an American needing to get a passport to leave the country. Couldn't find much in the Travel section of ask/tell and I'm a huge dumb baby who is overwhelmed by the millions of google results charging different prices for different methods. Even a helpful link would be nice or at least someone to point me at something "official". Some information on Visas would be nice to but the passport is step one.

Larger post offices do passport stuff. You'll need passport pictures though, and an appointment. (And $$$)

https://www.usps.com/shop/apply-for-a-passport.htm

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Rap Music and Dope posted:

I haven't done this for years, but I remember getting the form for one at a post office. I think bigger/more major post offices have a special passport office that handles these things, but for starters, you could just ask at any post office if they can give you info on getting a passport.

People who charge you money for it (other than the official government fee) are running a business where they do the annoying work for you, which is only an issue if you (a) need a rush job, or (b) can't bother to wait in the post office for half an hour.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Get your photo taken before you go. Lots of places do it... really anyplace that develops film or prints digitals will generally have a passport photo service (eg. FedEx/Kinkos, some CVS locations, etc).

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Also the visa information depends on your destination rather than the US. This site is, like all Wiki* sites, of wildly varying quality but at least a halfway decent place to start:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Main_Page

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

ARACHNOTRON posted:

Dear god

Well at least fitting rooms exist, though some places don't have them for some reason.

Related, does anyone know why more and more places are taking mirrors out of the fitting rooms? Where the fitting room itself is just a enclosed box with maybe a hook or two on the wall, and you have to step into the hallway to use a mirror at the end of the hall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I am looking for either software or a method using something like photoshop to take an image and plot it into squares as if you were going to turn it into a mosaic. I recently received some tiles from the Dwarven Forge kickstarter that have a built in blank 14x30 mosaic pattern into them, and I thought it would be great to take some images, turn them into 14x30 blocks and then more or less paint by numbers transfer that to the tiles. I am not finding much though on doing this beyond several tools for creating a mosaic of an image from hundreds of other images. This one tool, Mosaic Creator, looks promising but something free (the editor in the free version of this tool is locked) or that uses software I already have would be preferred.

This is what the physical piece I want to transfer an image to looks like: