Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Do you (or does anyone) know if the adapters from MD or FD mount to Fuji X mount will auto aperture? Couldn't find any info on the Metabones site or really anywhere. I've been seriously eyeing an XE1 or pre-ordering an XE2 but I'm most interested in mounting some MF legacy glass on it. It would suck nuts to still have to do stop down metering.

They won't because there's no electronics in the adapters or anything to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

spankmeister posted:

They won't because there's no electronics in the adapters or anything to do that.

Unless I'm mistaken, fuji lenses have aperture rings and aren't electronically controlled, right? I might be misunderstanding that. I seem to remember reading that this was the reason that they don't make EF to X-mount adapters.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Unless I'm mistaken, fuji lenses have aperture rings and aren't electronically controlled, right? I might be misunderstanding that. I seem to remember reading that this was the reason that they don't make EF to X-mount adapters.

Oh okay, well the fotodiox ones I've seen don't have anything in the way of transfer bar or anything but maybe there are better ones.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Fuji X is electronically controlled, the aperture rings are not mechanically coupled.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Putting aperture ring on lens is an ergonomic decision, thereis no mechanical aperture control. Cheap Fuji lens doesn't have aperture ring.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
There's no such thing as an adapter that does auto aperture on vintage lenses.

Fuji lenses have an aperture ring, but they're all electronic still.

The only exceptions I can think of are the metabones EF to NEX adapter that does auto aperture/IS/AF for EF lenses on NEX but that's it. Also the the first party adapters for like A to E, or F to 1 mount. Oh also the Tamron Adaptall system was clever in that it adapted multiple auto aperture systems into interchangeable mount adapters.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Yep, guess I misunderstood how the aperture worked on the X mount. It sucks no one has come up with a solution for this. poo poo, it would be nice just to have an adapter that had a push button on it that would operate the aperture lever. At least that way you wouldn't have to move the a-ring around constantly.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Mightaswell posted:

Fuji lenses have an aperture ring, but they're all electronic still.

The only exceptions I can think of are the metabones EF to NEX adapter that does auto aperture/IS/AF for EF lenses on NEX but that's it. Also the the first party adapters for like A to E, or F to 1 mount. Oh also the Tamron Adaptall system was clever in that it adapted multiple auto aperture systems into interchangeable mount adapters.

I had an m42 to x adapter that did auto aperture.

It was fujica-x though :buddy:.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Tbf I've never had problem with adapted lenses and metering/exposures.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Are there any recommended settings for the X-E1? Later on I will go shoot some tests with each mode but for tonight I would like to hit the ground running. Would love to hear what you guys set your noise reduction/sharpness/etc in the menus to.

Also, this 18-55 is a pretty drat good lens. I think I will still sell it and get the 35mm instead, but it is the first zoom lens that I did not instantly hate. :unsmith:

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

With my X-E1, I use:

Velvia w/ Color 0
Auto ISO 6400 w/ Noise Reduction 0
Highlights -1, Shadows -1, and DR200
Sharpness +1

I like punchy, saturated colors, and Velvia is good for that. The camera is really clean at high ISOs, and what noise is there has a nice grain to it; no need for extra noise reduction (note that 0 is "standard", not none). By softening the highlights and shadows a bit and using DR200, I get a bit of extra dynamic range without an HDR look. Finally, I like a bit of extra sharpness.

Here's two examples of how this looks. These are essentially straight from the camera JPEGs, I believe the only post processing was a bit of straightening. For those of you who asked a couple of weeks ago, these were shot using the new 23mm f/1.4.

f0678400 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

f2196736 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 27, 2013

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Bob Socko posted:

With my X-E1, I use:

Velvia w/ Color 0
Auto ISO 6400 w/ Noise Reduction 0
Highlights -1, Shadows -1, and DR200
Sharpness +1

I like punchy, saturated colors, and Velvia is good for that. The camera is really clean at high ISOs, and what noise is there has a nice grain to it; no need for extra noise reduction (note that 0 is "standard", not none). By softening the highlights and shadows a bit and using DR200, I get a bit of extra dynamic range without an HDR look. Finally, I like a bit of extra sharpness.

Here's two examples of how this looks. These are essentially straight from the camera JPEGs, I believe the only post processing was a bit of straightening. For those of you who asked a couple of weeks ago, these were shot using the new 23mm f/1.4.

f0678400 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

f2196736 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

Thanks!

How do you have that lens? I thought it's coming out later next month?

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

DigitalRev got a few in at the beginning of the month.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Bob Socko posted:

DigitalRev got a few in at the beginning of the month.

How do you like it? I have high hopes for that lens, Can't wait to pick one up next month.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

It's a really fantastic lens. Optically, it's a match for the 35mm f/1.4 - good center sharpness wide open, nice color, and so on. It's larger and heavier than the 35, but not to the point of feeling unbalanced; it's comparable in size and heft to a well-made nifty fifty. While I'm not sure if it's a $900 lens, it's no more overpriced than the 35 or the rest of Fuji's lineup. If not for the fact that I like a little redundancy in my gear, I'd probably sell the 35.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Are there any lines on OM-D batteries that aren't $50+? Any 3rd party ones that don't suck?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DJExile posted:

Are there any lines on OM-D batteries that aren't $50+? Any 3rd party ones that don't suck?

Battery technology hasn't changed in 5 years.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mightaswell posted:

Objection: Metabones Speed Booster for EOS.

Literally the only exception that comes to mind.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Paul MaudDib posted:

Objection: Metabones Speed Booster for EOS.

Literally the only exception that comes to mind.

Does it really count as vintage when it's still a very active mount?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DJExile posted:

Whatever you do don't get the hahnel ones, they suck. I've heard good things about Jupio but don't have any personal experience.

I got rid of the hahnel and bought an original from amazon.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Is there something specific about their OM-D batteres? I have some of theirs for my 7D and have no complaints.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Pablo Bluth posted:

Is there something specific about their OM-D batteres? I have some of theirs for my 7D and have no complaints.

Yes, I've known Hahnel for a while and have never had bad experiences with their products but somehow they just screwed the pooch on this one.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

X100 Question: Did the new firmware get rid of the flash white balance setting? Or am I dumb and it was never there?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Bob Socko posted:

It's a really fantastic lens. Optically, it's a match for the 35mm f/1.4 - good center sharpness wide open, nice color, and so on. It's larger and heavier than the 35, but not to the point of feeling unbalanced; it's comparable in size and heft to a well-made nifty fifty. While I'm not sure if it's a $900 lens, it's no more overpriced than the 35 or the rest of Fuji's lineup. If not for the fact that I like a little redundancy in my gear, I'd probably sell the 35.

Nice. I think I will most definitely get it even though the 18-55 is surprising me with it's quality the more I use it.

Apparently there is a 56mm f1.2 coming out January next year as well. Though the price on that will probably be scary.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

keyframe posted:

Nice. I think I will most definitely get it even though the 18-55 is surprising me with it's quality the more I use it.

Apparently there is a 56mm f1.2 coming out January next year as well. Though the price on that will probably be scary.

TBF a 1.2 lens is expensive in most mounts. If you actually need a 1.2, on the cheap, the Nikon 50mm 1.2 AIS is still made NIB today and is pretty inexpensive.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
An f1.2 lens designed for a crop body will be cheaper to manufacture than one made for a full frame body. However, time will tell if it will actually be sold more cheaply than other ~50mm f1.2 lenses.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
At the very least it will cost about as much as the upcoming 24mm but I expect more.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I imagine it will be priced in line with the 23mm. And i'll want it. Gotta catch em all.

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

DJExile posted:

I got some Wasabi brand batteries dropshipped to me when I didn't have my Oly battery with me in Hawaii last year. Been using the same two batteries that came with this pack ever since. They seem to last a bit longer than the first-party OM-D batteries, in my opinion.

Sharizard fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 28, 2013

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Apparently there are a lot of rumors from reliable sources that Fuji will be releasing a fixed lens full frame camera next spring.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
Me want. I still love my x100 so much, but wish that cropped portraits were a bit higher resolution.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

keyframe posted:

Apparently there are a lot of rumors from reliable sources that Fuji will be releasing a fixed lens full frame camera next spring.

Well, now starts purchase anxiety because I would sell everything I own to buy this in a heartbeat. I love my X-E1 and yet I still miss the X100 tremendously.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
I've only ever took pictures with a point and shoot or a cell, and for a brief time a Nikon D90, now I'm looking at a compact system / mirrorless camera. Pictures will be mainly for travel and kids, so I want something better than a point and shoot but nowhere near the bulk of a DSLR. I'd even like to stay away from a big zoom lens kit if possible, just to keep the size down.

Are there any good budget or entry level options for mirrorless cameras, maybe around $500? Everything I've found that I liked (I love Fujifilm's style, the X100s seems like exactly what I'm looking for) was around $1,000. I'd really like to avoid spending that as I'm just getting into this hobby, but I also don't want to buy something and be disappointed in the image quality because I went cheap.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bird Law posted:

I've only ever took pictures with a point and shoot or a cell, and for a brief time a Nikon D90, now I'm looking at a compact system / mirrorless camera. Pictures will be mainly for travel and kids, so I want something better than a point and shoot but nowhere near the bulk of a DSLR. I'd even like to stay away from a big zoom lens kit if possible, just to keep the size down.

Are there any good budget or entry level options for mirrorless cameras, maybe around $500? Everything I've found that I liked (I love Fujifilm's style, the X100s seems like exactly what I'm looking for) was around $1,000. I'd really like to avoid spending that as I'm just getting into this hobby, but I also don't want to buy something and be disappointed in the image quality because I went cheap.

The two low-model NEX cameras (the 3 and 5 series) have essentially the same sensor in them as your old D90. The kit lens that comes with the 3N and the 5T (the 16-50, not the 18-55 that came with older models) is about as short with the power off as a pancake with a lens cap. I got my 3N as a refurb on Newegg for under $300, and have less than $500 so far in a bag, some accessories, and a manual focus 50/1.4. The downside of the NEX line is the controls are not as convenient and the UI takes some serious getting used to.

Other folks can speak to the M4/3 price side, I never really researched them that far when I was buying over the past month or so. Is there a good M4/3 for under $500?

You say you want a good carry-around for around $500 that's better than a point and shoot. Do you know much about the high-end P&S market? The Canon S120 is (almost?) out now and the Sony RX100 are both a lot better than what you may be thinking of when you say P&S, and will actually fit in your pocket (where basically no mirrorless will).

Neither one will stand up to the image quality of a mirrorless*, but they're generally considered amazing cameras and fit more closely in your price range and may meet your expectations.

*Having never shot an RX, but my 3N blows my S90 out of the water.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 31, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bird Law posted:

Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 and the best M43 body you can afford. When the bodies get refreshed, the older ones practically get given away (especially at the lower end of the range).

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 31, 2013

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Bird Law posted:

Personally I absolutely love my NEX-F3 and you can get the 3N with the PZ lens for around $300, but if you're really budget strapped the M4/3 bodies can be gotten for less than $100 used. Personally I've never had issues with my NEX using the graphic display mode, and you also get focus peaking for if you decide to buy into adapters and manual focus lenses.

If you really want to stick with point and shoots, the RX100 is just under $500 and is a lot more pocketable.

edit: I forgot, there's also the 16mm and 20mm pancakes, if you don't want zoom/the extra battery drain of the 16-50mm, though they're more expensive.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 31, 2013

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 and the best M43 body you can afford. When the bodies get refreshed, the older ones practically get given away (especially at the lower end of the range).

Based on KEH, that's probably $350 for the lens and either the Olympus EP2 or EPL2 at around $150 body only, which I do remember reading into a bit.

E: And the Panasonic Gs are down that low, too.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 31, 2013

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Pick up the K-01 for 250-300 and that's still enough left over for a kit zoom and a prime lens.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

keyframe posted:

An x100FF would be the tits!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I've wanted a camera for a while but I want to do as much video taking as photo taking, and last time I looked into cameras it was like $500 minimum for really bad video. I'm not looking for something high end I just want something that takes nice pictures and nice video. I got a k1000 and a bunch of lenses for cheap and even though they kinda suck i still wanna use em' ya know.

The nex 5 looks really nice cause used ones are pretty inexpensive, it takes high quality pictures and video, and you can buy k mount adapters. How bad is my thinking?