Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Fix posted:

e: Oh, sweet. Followed by Red Shoe. :negative:

I'm going to put him on ignore so I don't see his soul crushingly good paint jobs :smith:

TheBlobThing posted:

I'm painting up my last model right now (and the base on my second-to-last model), and I was just wondering: can I claim last month's jurnal this month in addition to this month's jurnal?

Not a judge but going to butt in here:

You can do it just for shits and giggles, but you'll only get 2 points for this months Jurnal. Not 2 points for this months jurnal AND 1 point for last months jurnal.

If you haven't already claimed the 'double the something or other' one off bonus point, then two jurnal entries would be valid for that for 1 point in addition to your 2 points from this months jurnal.

Sorry judges if I'm stepping on your toes! :v:

I so want the final months jurnal entry to be 'incorporate all 11 previous jurnal entries on one model' - that'll be a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

enri posted:

Not a judge but going to butt in here:

You can do it just for shits and giggles, but you'll only get 2 points for this months Jurnal. Not 2 points for this months jurnal AND 1 point for last months jurnal.

If you haven't already claimed the 'double the something or other' one off bonus point, then two jurnal entries would be valid for that for 1 point in addition to your 2 points from this months jurnal.

Thanks for the input. I'll just go for the double bonus, since I kind of ended up with both jurnals on my last model.

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
Oath Complete!

Linked for topless Medusa.
:nws: http://i.imgur.com/AqWzJmK.jpg :nws:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Bucnasti posted:

I love the end of the month when all the complete oaths roll in at once.

I've said this in the past as well, it's just the best time of the month! The start of the month is interesting to see everyone's projects but the last week is when it all comes together :)

TheBlobThing posted:

Thanks for the input. I'll just go for the double bonus, since I kind of ended up with both jurnals on my last model.

Yeah I'm pretty sure enri nailed it with his explanation.

I know the rules and everything can be confusing - I've been pondering if the OP should be updated or whatever for the 6-month anniversary but I'm afraid I would just make things worse! I think I might just try 'rebooting' things on the various miniature gaming threads to get more people involved.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:siren:OATH COMPLETE:siren:

Linked for a booby, I guess. Apologies for the lovely phone pic, I'm moving house right now and haven't had much time or sanity lately.

http://i.imgur.com/5Q6Fp4X.jpg

Of course there is a good amount of pink involved, plus I'd like to claim Fly Your Flag on the icon bearer. It's kinda riffing on a design I tried to paint when I was 12 or something and ended up looking pretty blobby. This is a new attempt, trying to portray captured souls swirling across the surface of the banner.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Germ posted:

Also, I don't know if 3 Ogre-sized 28mm models is big enough for a themed group.

That's a good question. Technically, they're 28mm models which means you need at least 5. But, they're mounted, and it'd make sense to me to count the mounts as additional 28mm models. This would also mean stuff like Matgash's three mounted space marines on bikes this month would count. Although those models are a bit smaller, I think.

I'll leave it up to Ineptmule to make the interpretation, though, and if he wants to keep things simple, it'd be OK to just go by the scale and that's it.

Mmtheblue posted:

And since I did the Jurnal and Backstory, I think that qualifies for Double the Fun?

Yup!

OneTrueBru posted:

I've not been painting much of late, but I've decided to start de-rusting, and managed to complete my alternate universe oath:

Congrats! You're just the third person to finish an Alternate Universe oath. Just a reminder to everyone that there's a special prize from Zhent that you can win if you do an Alternate Universe oath.

Fix posted:

Pink-hair there should suffice for my jurnal point. Also, it is a themed group.

Yup. But, no username in photo? There's still time to 'shop one in, if you like.

Red Shoe posted:

:siren:Oath Complete!:siren:

Hi Red Shoe. I have a special request for you. This is not a requirement, there's no rule about it, it's just an informal request. Since you tend to oath a fuckton of different models, it'd be awesome for me if you could use the specific labels you used in your original oath, to label your various photos?

For example, this is what I have this month for your oath: "a Remorhaz, 5 Infernals, 10 Boomhowlers, and Sorscha; added 1 Stormblade Captain, Strangewaves, Jonas Murdoch, a Hunter, and a Squire; added 12 Iron Fang Pikemen, an Extreme Destroyer, and an Elf Warrior"

But looking at your Oath Complete, I'm not sure which is the five infernals and which is the other group of five things that might be those dudes Jonas and the Hunter etc., and is that the elf warrior up front, or maybe it's Sorscha?

I did a total model count and I'm sure you actually did your whole oath, but it'll be much faster for me to confirm things if you use consistent labels.

This applies to everyone, really, but for you in particular because you tend to post a dozen photos with different models in them, and you also do models from games I'm not familiar with.

Illudere posted:

Oath Complete!

Linked for topless Medusa.
:nws: http://i.imgur.com/AqWzJmK.jpg :nws:

I'm assuming no Theme this month, right?

Ok one more thing.
:siren:HEY EVERYONE:siren:
The deadline is tomorrow! And time zones and daylight savings time and poo poo is weird. In the UK, they've already fallen back for the fall, but we don't fall back here in the US till this weekend. Some countries are on the UK scheme and some the US scheme. Don't miss the deadline by an hour! That would suck.

Here are the deadlines in the OP:

quote:

Deadline Times
To make it super-easy to figure out when the cut-off time for new oaths is, as well as to know when you have to post your completed oath, here are the deadline times:

Cutoff Time
US Pacific time: 5 PM
US Mountain time: 6 PM
US Central time: 7 PM
US Easter time: 8 PM
UK time: 1 AM
Central EU time: 2 AM
Perth, upside-downland: 8AM (the morning of the 1st, if it's the start of the month)
Australian Eastern Time: 10AM Saturday (the morning of the 1st, if it's the start of the month)
...but, this month only, some of these times are wrong. The single point-of-truth is the time in the UK. I suggest using a time zone viewer like this one to make sure you're not late, but an even better plan is to just plan to finish up early. It's Halloween, anyway, you should be handing out double-ended paintbrushes to trick-or-treaters, not stuck in your basement frantically trying to get the basing done on your space marine.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

...but, this month only, some of these times are wrong. The single point-of-truth is the time in the UK.

Wait wait wait... just to clarify, the UK time you've quoted is BST (British Summer Time), we're now in GMT with the hours change so the 1am quoted should be midnight.

But in hindsight I get the impression you weren't referring to the quoted time when you said the one time that matters is the UK time and you did mean that when it hits midnight here, we're done for October.

I'm confused :v:

I also like to stick my oar in and be a pain in the arse for you judge types :3:

edit: totally didn't see your link, sorry leperflesh :3:

enri fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 30, 2013

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
OATH COMPLETE

THEMED GROUP

DETEKTUV's JURNAL

I like how the back of Yamaziko turned out but the front.. I re-did the front several times and could not get it to look nice and ran out of time.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Yet again its great to see another month's worth of work coming in from everyone. Good stuff!

Leperflesh posted:

Ok one more thing.
:siren:HEY EVERYONE:siren:
The deadline is tomorrow! And time zones and daylight savings time and poo poo is weird. In the UK, they've already fallen back for the fall, but we don't fall back here in the US till this weekend. Some countries are on the UK scheme and some the US scheme. Don't miss the deadline by an hour! That would suck.

Here are the deadlines in the OP:

...but, this month only, some of these times are wrong. The single point-of-truth is the time in the UK. I suggest using a time zone viewer like this one to make sure you're not late, but an even better plan is to just plan to finish up early. It's Halloween, anyway, you should be handing out double-ended paintbrushes to trick-or-treaters, not stuck in your basement frantically trying to get the basing done on your space marine.
Hmmm. In the OP:

quote:

Make sure you are posting before the end of the calendar month - remember we’re using GMT this time!
GMT never changes (I know because I live in a country that is GMT all year around, and it beats living back in the UK when I get screwed up twice a year!) So nothing should have changed for anyone who isn't in the UK (unless their own time has changed relative to GMT).

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Time advice.

Yeah, good idea. Since I've been confused by time zones once this month already, I've already finished my oath. I'm just waiting for some daylight to photograph the last 2 models.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Deanut Pancer posted:

Yet again its great to see another month's worth of work coming in from everyone. Good stuff!

Hmmm. In the OP:

GMT never changes (I know because I live in a country that is GMT all year around, and it beats living back in the UK when I get screwed up twice a year!) So nothing should have changed for anyone who isn't in the UK (unless their own time has changed relative to GMT).

Yeah, it's midnight GMT, which means some of the times quoted in the OP, which I quoted earlier, are wrong... because now instead of 1 AM in the UK, it's midnight in the UK. It may be an hour different in any country which has already stopped daylight savings time. But (for example) the deadline is still 5PM Pacific Daylight Time in California. If you use the slider on that time zone website to put it at 5pm PDT, like this, you'll see it's midnight in the UK.

So, as I said,

Leperflesh posted:

The single point-of-truth is the time in the UK.

enri posted:

Wait wait wait... just to clarify, the UK time you've quoted is BST (British Summer Time), we're now in GMT with the hours change so the 1am quoted should be midnight.
Correct.

quote:

But in hindsight I get the impression you weren't referring to the quoted time when you said the one time that matters is the UK time and you did mean that when it hits midnight here, we're done for October.

Correct.

quote:

I'm confused :v:

Correct!

quote:

I also like to stick my oar in and be a pain in the arse for you judge types :3:

Correct... :colbert:

quote:

edit: totally didn't see your link, sorry leperflesh :3:

Bingo. :)

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 30, 2013

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
Fix and enri, you give strange complements but thank you! I think.

Leperflesh posted:

Hi Red Shoe. I have a special request for you.

I can do that! Did you want me to edit this month or start next month?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Your miniature painting is real good, Red Shoe.

Leperflesh posted:

Yup. But, no username in photo? There's still time to 'shop one in, if you like.

There is a slip of paper with my username on it in both of those photos.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Red Shoe posted:

I can do that! Did you want me to edit this month or start next month?

I already got ya for this month, so just next month would be fine.

Fix posted:

There is a slip of paper with my username on it in both of those photos.

Ahh, so there is. It's blocked by models in both shots, but looking at them together, I guess it's legible! I'll give you the point. :)

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Dr. Clockwork posted:

October, here I come! :dance:

I, Dr. Clockwork, do hereby oath to paint the following:

A Combined Army Malignos (right) and Charontid (left) for 28mm Infinity the Game by Corvus Belli

6 Cataphract Cetratii and Tyrant Vorkesh, a Themed Group of Skorne from Privateer Press' Hordes 28mm

And under the Amnesty of October, A Skorne Mammoth from Privateer Press' Hordes 28mm

OATH COMPLETE!

Ok so this post might drive Krushgroove insane, but I'm going to attempt to claim a pile of bonuses! Let me know if any of this is no good.

Themed Group

Last month's Freehand Jernul on the unit leader's banner

Vorkesh isn't a bonus, but he needed some paint anyway

The Charontid is painted to emulate the Box art!

The Malignos is this month's Pink Jernul

My Mammoth took advantage of this month's Amnesty, and I finally finished him off after plugging away for several months off and on:

And here he is In Battle!

Rasheth demands more snacks! Forward, to their pantry!

Charging a foul trollkin warder, can the Mammoth prove himself in combat?

Yes.

I had a blast putting paint to models this month! This league is just the motivation I need and I can't wait until November (Friday!) :dance:

Dr. Clockwork fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 31, 2013

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Any chance of a preview of next month's theme? I wanna start thinking about how to fulfill it.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I think im going to fail my oath.
Ive had a rough month and i broke my mates airbrush, the parts only arrived this morning and i have something planned this evening. No time between now and tomorrow to paint.
I did waste a lot of time playing KSP and Bioshock Infinite.

I'm two trees short and my minis are only on their top colour coat.

:smith:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

:allears:

Roll on November, I want to know what the jurnal's going to be :ohdear:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dr. Clockwork posted:

OATH COMPLETE!

Ok so this post might drive Krushgroove insane, but I'm going to attempt to claim a pile of bonuses! Let me know if any of this is no good.

Pff, he doesn't have to do the spreadsheet.

Anyway, since you're evidently going for points, you can earn another one by putting your username into a photo!

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Leperflesh posted:

Pff, he doesn't have to do the spreadsheet.

Anyway, since you're evidently going for points, you can earn another one by putting your username into a photo!

It's not just for points... :ohdear: it just happened to line up that way this month :haw:

I edited my name into the first In Battle! shot.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dr. Clockwork posted:

It's not just for points... :ohdear: it just happened to line up that way this month :haw:

I edited my name into the first In Battle! shot.

Alright, that'll do it! You have been bepointed.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

thespaceinvader posted:

Any chance of a preview of next month's theme? I wanna start thinking about how to fulfill it.

Hehe every month you ask... At least this time it's easy to figure out! What 13th letter of the alphabet is the first letter of a popular fundraising program aimed at men's health and rhymes with NOvember?

No one say the answer out loud!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Leperflesh posted:

That's a good question. Technically, they're 28mm models which means you need at least 5. But, they're mounted, and it'd make sense to me to count the mounts as additional 28mm models. This would also mean stuff like Matgash's three mounted space marines on bikes this month would count. Although those models are a bit smaller, I think.

I'll leave it up to Ineptmule to make the interpretation, though, and if he wants to keep things simple, it'd be OK to just go by the scale and that's it.

That's all good! Ogres are 'large' 28mm models, and 3 of them are ok therefore. The bike dudes are an edge case and I'm gonna say no - but if I've give an answer previously that contradicts that let me know and you're good.

Imazul
Sep 3, 2006

This was actually a lot more bearable than most of you made it out to be.
Oath Complete!

I wish I had a better camera, oh well. The jurnal are the highlights which are pink.

Haydrian
Sep 30, 2001
Paid way too much for what I do.
Oath Complete

The Detekive's Jurnal entry for this month is the pink magenta bars on the shoulder armor and on the helmet antennas.

And, for a bonus, we have some archival In Battle footage, from the archives of the Inquisition:

...Here is demonstrated four of the renegade Astartes "Reiley's Rangers", consorting with Xenos filth as they seek to plunder more archaeotech from an Ork world.

Mechanicus sources indicate that this particular unit is a millenia old comms device, possibly in working order.

Haydrian fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 31, 2013

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That's two themed groups, and the surfer dwarf's pink shirt is this month's Jurnal .

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

And for my jurnal entry, I gave the leader of the archers a pink feather and a pink-rear end cape. I also noticed upon taking this picture a massive blue spot on his arm, so I'll have to go over that and fix it.

More shots:

I think next month I'm gonna try to oath just 1 or 2 models and really try my hardest to spend a lot of time on them and try to put out a really impressive piece like so many of you guys do every month.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

:siren:OATH COMPLETE:siren:

Completed models, I dressed my name up for the holiday.

Eldar weapons platforms and spotters

Zhanshi side

Zhanshi back

Pinkerton the Awareness Squig (jurnal)

Had some lighting problems this month, just couldn't get pics bright enough.

There's a lot of people I'd like to say "Beautiful Stuff" on this month, but drat there are so many names. Good job everyone! I've probably PM'd you once or twice anyway to gush like a child if you're one of my favorite painters. :allears:

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
Who's got two thumbs, doesn't own any pink paint, and has a pot of white that dried up because he's to busy to paint regularly and shake that poo poo up?

I'll make this work, somehow...

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Prime white, paint thin coats of red. You know the score.

Mix with white primer if you have to.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I'd think you could use bone, light grey or maybe even tan with red to make some pink.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
:siren: OATH COMPLETE! :siren:

From left to right, that's: (6) Rats, (1) Spider, (6) Mouse Heroes, (8) Cockroaches, (1) Malifaux Mobile Toolkit, and (1) Centipede.
For my Detektuv's Jurnal entry, I present Pinky the Rat:

And for my Get Based Out! entry, the base on the Malifaux Mobile Toolkit, which I've bashed together from some discarded springs and pieces of dead office equipment (ink stamper and correction-tape dispenser):

Link to the full album: http://imgur.com/a/31vWh/all (Now featuring more, huger, table-breaking pics!)

Quick question for the judges: The box art for Mice & Mystics doesn't show any of the miniatures, but it does have pretty detailed portraits of the heroes on their character cards, which I used as the basis for their designs:

Could this count as the one-time Box Art bonus, or does it need to match the actual cover art for the game? (Just curious; if this doesn't work I've got others I could use in a future oath.)

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 31, 2013

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
Yeah, prime white! Prime white... White primer... White printer? Printer is low on ink, better remember to pick some up... Ink... Sink... Sank... Need to fix the seams in the boat so it doesn't leak... Fix... Fix... What did Fix say? Prime white? White primer... Wait, I have that lovely white gesso I tried a few times and then banished to the cabinet of shame! Use the white gesso that's inside the cabinet of shame to mix with red!

Fix, you're a genius!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I know, right?

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Oath complete!

TheBlobThing posted:

This amnesty is just what I've been waiting for!

I, TheBlobThing, oath the following minis:
1 Company Commander.
1 Company Master.
3 Kriegsmen. These are an attempt at saving da whales from my oath from June.
2 Tactical Marines.
1 Escher Necromunda gang leader.
10 Grave Guard.
10 Skeleton Warriors.

All from GW or Forgeworld.

Sorry for the insane picture dump, but this has been a productive month. I've cut down on nearly half my WIP section of my Kanban board, so I really hope you guys give us another chance for amnesty.

Jurnal & double the trouble for her pink hair, and the leopard print on her loincloth (freehand).

Themed groups.

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 31, 2013

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Quick question for the judges: The box art for Mice & Mystics doesn't show any of the miniatures, but it does have pretty detailed portraits of the heroes on their character cards, which I used as the basis for their designs:

Could this count as the one-time Box Art bonus, or does it need to match the actual cover art for the game? (Just curious; if this doesn't work I've got others I could use in a future oath.)

I'll give this to ya - I don't like mice in real life but these are just too cute.

Why hasn't anyone made kitty adventurers?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I mixed Vallejo GC Off White and MC Sunset Red to make my pink, because it was better than buying a pink I won't use much beyond this

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10
Oath Complete!

No Jurnal!

Pics are pretty bad cellphone ones, with hasty level fixes from an online Photoshop variant.

Happy with: red cloak, eye glow (I dislike painting eyes)
Not happy: the scarf, bandages- will have to play around some more with light tan colours in future months.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

I mixed Vallejo GC Off White and MC Sunset Red to make my pink, because it was better than buying a pink I won't use much beyond this

Did anyone specifically use a pink paint?! I used a red wash over a bone basecoat then had a few highlights with the same bone colour later on.

I do have some pinks, just didn't fancy using them :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

enri posted:

Did anyone specifically use a pink paint?! I used a red wash over a bone basecoat then had a few highlights with the same bone colour later on.

I do have some pinks, just didn't fancy using them :D

I don't really have a FLGS, I buy from Combat Company over the net, and I'd already made my order for the month when the Jurnal was announced and didn't feel like spending on another package for one paint, otherwise I might have. Only other pink I have is MC Light Flesh, which isn't all that pink!

• Locked thread