Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Daimo posted:

You are only protecting the resale value of the device. And that just shows you're cheap.

What other point could there be? People like to keep their phones devices in tip top shape so they don't have to spend as much on their next phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Daimo posted:

I never understood the point of screen protectors anyway. Do you replace them after every scratch - if not then why not? You are only protecting the resale value of the device. And that just shows you're cheap.

Im OCD about display scratches, If i get one i cant not see it. I can get 4 screen protectors for a dollar or so and swap them out whenever I need too.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Daimo posted:

You are only protecting the resale value of the device.

And you consider this a criticism? Oh, Android threads. :allears:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Even with the poetic case I had on my 2012 N7 I still got a shitload of tiny little scratches on the screen from dust getting between the cover and the screen, so I put a protector on my newer one to keep that poo poo from happening. :shrug:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Daimo posted:

I never understood the point of screen protectors anyway. Do you replace them after every scratch - if not then why not? You are only protecting the resale value of the device. And that just shows you're cheap.
I've got an offer of $240 on my N4 as soon as the N5 comes out. No screen protector, just a case (probably go naked on the N5, its not greased like the N4 is. I swear it slides on level surfaces just for fun). With the phone costing $10 per month and the $30 T-Mo plan, I pay $40/month. I can live with that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

mr. stefan posted:

Even with the poetic case I had on my 2012 N7 I still got a shitload of tiny little scratches on the screen from dust getting between the cover and the screen, so I put a protector on my newer one to keep that poo poo from happening. :shrug:

This is why you keep your devices naked!

Most of the "damage" on my old Galaxy Nexus was caused by attempts to protect it (dirt getting inbetween the case and the device.)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The stuff that Zagg and (i think) best drat screen protectors, that "helicopter blade tape" stuff, is for the most part self healing and ever so slightly gooey, it does not leave permanent scratches from normal use unless you physically cut through the stuff.

As opposed to the hard screen protectors which do leave visible scratches, etc

Zagg is a bit of an acquired taste, it's more sticky than glass by a wide margin and refracts light slightly differently and doesn't have 99%+ light transmission, but it's very, very good at keeping your keys from ever leaving scratches on the screen.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 30, 2013

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Maybe i'm lucky but i've never had a single scratch or crack on any smartphone or tablet screen. I hate screen protectors, never use em. And i'm not especially careful when handling devices either. But I don't do dumb things like leave it in the same pocket as my keys.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

This is why you keep your devices naked!

Most of the "damage" on my old Galaxy Nexus was caused by attempts to protect it (dirt getting inbetween the case and the device.)

I took the case from my Nexus 7 2013 and its REALLY nice to hold...

I'm wondering if I should just get a screen protector and that's it.

As for scratches, I got minute scratches on my Nexus S 4G but they were on the oleophobic layer... I felt as if they gave the device character. :colbert:

Though, I have a screen protector on my Nexus 4 with a Diztronic case.

The N7 has no screen protector.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

ilkhan posted:

I've got an offer of $240 on my N4 as soon as the N5 comes out. No screen protector, just a case (probably go naked on the N5, its not greased like the N4 is. I swear it slides on level surfaces just for fun). With the phone costing $10 per month and the $30 T-Mo plan, I pay $40/month. I can live with that.

What $30 T-Mobile plan is this? Mine's $40 and I only get like 500mb data before throttling.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Screen protectors made sense on resistive touch screens that you had to really ride with a stylus, but with capacitative glass screens that seems pointless, I don't even have a single scratch on my original HTC Desire and I just stick it in my pocket. Although I'll probably get a cheap case for my Sero 7 just for the keyboard and kickstand functionality.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Barracuda Bang! posted:

What $30 T-Mobile plan is this? Mine's $40 and I only get like 500mb data before throttling.

Someone needs to head over to the prepaid mobile thread!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

mobby_6kl posted:

Screen protectors made sense on resistive touch screens that you had to really ride with a stylus, but with capacitative glass screens that seems pointless, I don't even have a single scratch on my original HTC Desire and I just stick it in my pocket. Although I'll probably get a cheap case for my Sero 7 just for the keyboard and kickstand functionality.

Gorilla Glass screens can be scratched. My wife's iPhone5 has a scratch even though she takes good care of it. If you install a screen protector well, you don't even notice it.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

So no one is talking about the new Yoga tablets in here?

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/landingpage/yoga-tablet/?iPromoID=bannerYogaTablet&

Looks pretty sweet, price seems pretty good as well. 8 and 10 inch versions.
$10 for a 16GB upgrade after rebate, what the hell?

The battery cylinder seems to be a smart move at first glance.
1GB RAM is on the shy side and I can't properly gauge the CPU right now.
Oh, ok, 1280x800 only.

Having Kutcher push it after that Jobs movie is kind of adorable.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 30, 2013

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Neat physical gimmick, but a MediaTek CPU, 1gb of RAM, and 1280x800 displays make these complete non-starters now.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Neat physical gimmick, but a MediaTek CPU, 1gb of RAM, and 1280x800 displays make these complete non-starters now.

$299 msrp for a 10", that's not too bad. Assumedly within a month or two they'll be on sale for 20% less. I'd be interested to see what those mediatek SOCs can handle. At least the aesthetics are pleasing.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

SB35 posted:

I'd be interested to see what those mediatek SOCs can handle. At least the aesthetics are pleasing.
This should give you an idea.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7160/asus-memo-pad-hd7-review/2
(they're poo poo)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

SB35 posted:

$299 msrp for a 10", that's not too bad. Assumedly within a month or two they'll be on sale for 20% less. I'd be interested to see what those mediatek SOCs can handle. At least the aesthetics are pleasing.

By why bother with the 10" at all when it's the same resolution as the 8"? It's also only 16gb. With an imminent release of the Nexus 10 2, the 16gb Nexus 10 will likely hit all new lows and be only marginally more expensive for MUCH more device.

The MediaTek 8125 is a Cortex A7 SoC. So, basically, the main system CPU is the same tech as the LITTLE companion cores in the Exynos 5 Octa big.LITTLE architecture.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Am I totally missing something, or is there absolutely no way to advance video on a stock Nexus 7? I'm playing movies I have saved in a Dropbox folder, so that may be part of the problem. But I get no on-screen scroll bar or controls or anything, and touching the screen just pauses. I have a Galaxy S4 and I can jump around in movies just fine on that.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

New Leaf posted:

Am I totally missing something, or is there absolutely no way to advance video on a stock Nexus 7? I'm playing movies I have saved in a Dropbox folder, so that may be part of the problem. But I get no on-screen scroll bar or controls or anything, and touching the screen just pauses. I have a Galaxy S4 and I can jump around in movies just fine on that.

Are you using the gallery to play the video? Try another app, like MXPlayer.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Well poo poo.

It would appear that my 2012 N7 has decided to shuffle off this mortal coil. Bootlooped on me (Google logo) on Tuesday morning. Assuming the battery had gone flat, I forced it off through the bootloader menu and let it charge for 36 hours. Absolutely no response to any stimulus whatsoever. Any combination of buttons for times from 15 to 90 seconds yield zero response.

So now I'm debating on its replacement. I was thinking about stepping up to the 9-10" space, but the market is such that I need to wait a bit.

Considering a Note 2(3?) 10.1 for the stylus input (old coworker has a Note 2 10.1 and it's quite nice), but the price:performance ratio is a bit off for my taste.

Considering a Nexus 10, but I'm guessing a new one is launching in the very near future, so I'd want to hold off for either new gear or lower pricing.

I thought about Kindle Fire, but I prefer the stock Android experience and don't want to invest the time/effort loving about to get it that way.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So, after playing around with my Nexus 7 a bit more, I realized that it is totally passable for doing PDF reading, since I don't mark up my articles anyways (I take notes on separate paper).

I have a 2012 one - how much of an improvement is the 2013 one over it? Is it worth the ~$125 I would have to pay after selling my N7?

edit: I could probably get those cost different down to $70 if I buy used.

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 31, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

So, after playing around with my Nexus 7 a bit more, I realized that it is totally passable for doing PDF reading, since I don't mark up my articles anyways (I take notes on separate paper).

I have a 2012 one - how much of an improvement is the 2013 one over it? Is it worth the ~$125 I would have to pay after selling my N7?

edit: I could probably get those cost different down to $70 if I buy used.
I've had both, and (to me, at least) the screen alone was well worth the upgrade. If your PDFs have lots of text they will look much nicer.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Nexus 7 2013 is a gigantic upgrade over the 2012.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The 2013 Nexus 7 is amazing for PDFs. It has really high pixel density and you can always just turn it sideways and zoom in if you have to.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
As others have said the screen alone is worth the upgrade.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name
I've been looking at the ASUS TF701t which has a Tegra4 1.9 GHz quad-core. How are these processors stacking up in the tablet market? I mean I'm currently using a HP DM1 netbook with something like a 1 GHz single core so at least it will be better than that. But how does it compare to the other new processors?

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

Cojawfee posted:

The 2013 Nexus 7 is amazing for PDFs. It has really high pixel density and you can always just turn it sideways and zoom in if you have to.

What's a good pdf program for tablets?

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

ArgaWarga posted:

What's a good pdf program for tablets?

I like ezPDF Reader but I mostly use it on my phone.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=udk.android.reader

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

Anyone have any experience with the Lenovo S6000? There's a groupon for it with the keyboard dock and protective case for £230 and I was thinking about getting that instead of the Asus T100 if it's okay for writing word documents and basic tablet stuff.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
So with the Nexus 5 released and no Nexus 10, the rumor mill has started about a Nexus 8

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

The Merkinman posted:

So with the Nexus 5 released and no Nexus 10, the rumor mill has started about a Nexus 8
It looks like the leaked renders of the 10. An 8 doesn't make sense, because there's already a 7. I hope it's a 9, the same size as the Kindle.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
An 8 would be silly.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

inkblottime posted:

I've been looking at the ASUS TF701t which has a Tegra4 1.9 GHz quad-core. How are these processors stacking up in the tablet market? I mean I'm currently using a HP DM1 netbook with something like a 1 GHz single core so at least it will be better than that. But how does it compare to the other new processors?
I'd wait a few weeks to see what the new Nexus 10 is packing, since it'll be made by ASUS and might be better priced. Unless you're really enamored with the Transformer dock/keyboard thing.

If it matters I have a TF700t which I basically hate because the performance is absolute poo poo even with a super tweaked out Type-R ROM and major overclocking on the kernel. The device is just severely bottlenecked at the hardware level.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

The Merkinman posted:

It's a 7 with a badly photoshopped KitKat interface on the front. They pasted a KitKat image that was larger than the actual 7's screen, causing the appearance of smaller bezels and a larger screen.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I don't believe the Nexus 8 either, not enough screen size difference from the Nexus 7. I do wonder why no Nexus 10 refresh though. Did it sell so poorly that Google isn't bothering? Maybe it's so good there is nothing to improve on :v:.

What advantages do tablets have over phones other than screen size? I was thinking about getting a tablet since reading/watching things on this 3.7" screen is a little tight. However, in a few days I'll have a 4.96" screen with the Nexus 5, so I don't know if it would be worth it at that point.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

The Merkinman posted:

I don't believe the Nexus 8 either, not enough screen size difference from the Nexus 7. I do wonder why no Nexus 10 refresh though. Did it sell so poorly that Google isn't bothering? Maybe it's so good there is nothing to improve on :v:.

What advantages do tablets have over phones other than screen size? I was thinking about getting a tablet since reading/watching things on this 3.7" screen is a little tight. However, in a few days I'll have a 4.96" screen with the Nexus 5, so I don't know if it would be worth it at that point.

On Android, very little because there are only a handful of apps that even format content for a tablet-sized screen. I'd say battery life is a plus, because a decent tablet will give you around 8-10 hours of screen time.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

I'd wait a few weeks to see what the new Nexus 10 is packing, since it'll be made by ASUS and might be better priced. Unless you're really enamored with the Transformer dock/keyboard thing.

If it matters I have a TF700t which I basically hate because the performance is absolute poo poo even with a super tweaked out Type-R ROM and major overclocking on the kernel. The device is just severely bottlenecked at the hardware level.

Fair enough. I'm not in any rush to get one so I can wait and see. My laptop still works, it just takes ages for it to boot and anything it runs is choppy.

I've had my eye on the Nexus for a while now but it seems like there are other tables that are out-performing it at the moment. It'll be interesting to see what they do with the next Nexus 10 since it looks like Samsung is giving Asus a run for its money.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

inkblottime posted:

Fair enough. I'm not in any rush to get one so I can wait and see. My laptop still works, it just takes ages for it to boot and anything it runs is choppy.

I've had my eye on the Nexus for a while now but it seems like there are other tables that are out-performing it at the moment. It'll be interesting to see what they do with the next Nexus 10 since it looks like Samsung is giving Asus a run for its money.
I can't imagine too many people who would want a tablet with a keyboard dock that wouldn't prefer a Bay Trail Win 8 tablet over anything with Android, frankly. Have you looked at any of those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

waffle posted:

I can't imagine too many people who would want a tablet with a keyboard dock that wouldn't prefer a Bay Trail Win 8 tablet over anything with Android, frankly. Have you looked at any of those?

Has Win 8 improved their app selection? That's the main reason I haven't considered it. I use things like Keepass, Google Drive, and eBook apps for Kobo, Nook, and Amazon. I already know Android has all the apps I need and didn't want to get stuck like I have with the iPad. Plus I like to play games occasionally and Android has a huge selection to choose from.