Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Ah poo poo, thanks for the correction. I know more about fake punchmen then real one, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It's somehow crazy to me that Hogan was only 43 in 1996. He looked middle-aged for most of his career. Must be the 'stache.

And the baldness. I think he was already or mostly balding in 1982, even.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If I have to see that loving Piper/Hogan confrontation one more time... They played it in full on the Nitro following Havoc (but the recording cut off) and then played it in full again the next week. It was terrible the first time!

I was also amused by this quote in that new Observer back issue:

quote:

As best as anyone can tell, the story on Randy Savage and Hawk from Japan on the July tour went something like this. Savage's music was playing, I believe for the match with Jushin Liger. But he never came out. After everyone waiting, the ring announcer nervously called for an intermission. When they found Savage, he was on the ground. As best anyone knew, apparently Hawk's current girlfriend, who was a friend of Hulk Hogan and his wife Linda and he was set up with her through them, also knew Savage and Savage must have said something and Hawk popped him. That isn't exactly the first time Hawk has popped someone in Japan (or the United States for that matter).

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

quote:

As best anyone knew, apparently Hawk's current girlfriend, who was a friend of Hulk Hogan and his wife Linda and he was set up with her through them, also knew Savage and Savage must have said something and Hawk popped him.
I forgot how terrible Meltzer was at structuring sentences. This hurt my head to read.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

The FCC does in fact have authority to regulate cable, but it is less regulated by the FCC than broadcast and you almost never hear them exercising their editorial power. However cable systems still must comply with a number of regulations, especially regarding political candidates, advertising, endorsements, etc. It'd be tough for Warrior to pull off, but he could do it.
Where did you hear this? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I recently took classes in both copyright law and multimedia studies and both were pretty clear on the fact that cable people were only beholden to advertisers and the only reason the FCC regulates over the air television is that the airwaves belong to the public.

Edit: Nevermind. You already answered this.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 30, 2013

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Chris Gaines posted:

I forgot how terrible Meltzer was at structuring sentences. This hurt my head to read.

The fact that someone who gets paid to write was responsible for that is a goddamn travesty.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Q_res posted:

The fact that someone who gets paid to write was responsible for that is a goddamn travesty.

This has kinda been gone over before, but Meltzer has never had an editor (as far as I know) and is basically covering the entirety of wrestling/MMA results and dirt every single week.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/15/sports/wrestling-reporter-dave-meltzer-tries-to-keep-it-real.html

quote:

Meltzer said his workweek often exceeds 110 hours, but his home office in San Jose, Calif., allows him to spend pockets of time with his wife and two children. He has no employees, and he prints his newsletter — in single-spaced 7-point type — at a local copy shop. He declined to specify either the number of subscribers or how much he makes, but he agreed with an assessment of his income as being in six figures.

Everyone in wrestling is weird.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Scott Williams is sort of an editor and Vinny cleans up obvious typos and such when he posts the newsletters.

Back in the hard copy only days the newsletter often used to include random strings of text and sentences that made no sense. It's very different now.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

On a similar note to Joe Silva writing into WON, I recall reading old DDT Digest show reports and randomly coming across this in the mailbag of a 2000 Thunder report.

quote:

Brock L. writes in:

I wrote you once last week. I have to say however that I disagree with your view of how Thunder was so hard to watch. Reason being....Jeff Jarrett saying "Hey Kevin, looks like we must be in Slapnuts Country" makes it all worthwhile. Kinda funny how the only thing that has ever put Jarrett over is the use of the word "slapnuts". Oh well.

Nitro ruled too. Reminded me of an old episode of WWF Prime Time Wrestling from the mid 80s, but hey.

Wow, there's someone else who liked WWF Prime Time Wrestling!

Lesnar as Internet commenter is kind of an amusing thought. And hey, it can't be that common a name...

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
There's no way that's Brock Lesnar, he hated wrestling when he was the top guy, why would he ever put up with watching Nitro?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He grew to hate wrestling because the travel was murdering him. Doesn't mean he always did.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Brock Lesnar using a computer amuses me.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It's pretty obviously Brock Landers you dummies.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What about his partner Chest Rockwell?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

They're legally married now, you can say "wife".

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Odd that Lesnar took "Marvelous" Marc Mero's finishing move, his wife, and the gym shorts ring attire.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Here I was making a Boogie Nights reference and I get two wonderful replies.

*waits for someone to bring up Disco Inferno*

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.

Red posted:

Odd that Lesnar took "Marvelous" Marc Mero's finishing move, his wife, and the gym shorts ring attire.

Wanna see Lesnar as Johnny B. Badd

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
There is no way the Beast Incarnate Brock Lesnar would ever use a compu-

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Who the hell doesn't like Prime Time Wrestling? Monsoon/Heenan, man!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Brock was being recruited heavily by WCW and WWE at the time, I doubt even he is surly enough to send negative feedback about a suitor to the dirt sheets.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Cactus Jack posted:

There is no way the Beast Incarnate Brock Lesnar would ever use a compu-

He looks so much like my former roommate it's scary...

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Perigryn posted:

He looks so much like my former roommate it's scary...

He doesn't look like anyone I know, and he's still terrifying.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
We watched the August 2nd, 1999 edition of WCW Monday Nitro on TNT! and oh god it was very bad. End-of-term Bischoff 99 was just dull more than anything.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Thick McRunfast.

Wait, wrong show.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Stagger Lee Marshall was never on the road at wild Nitro Parties, was he :smith:

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

John Cena posted:

Stagger Lee Marshall was never on the road at wild Nitro Parties, was he :smith:

He had to be--in one of his WCW articles he mentioned getting ready to leave one at the end of Nitro, and the partiers were surprised he wasn't sticking around for the replay!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't DirecTV have their own broadcasts of Nitro that would have Nitro Party footage instead of commercials? I remember a tape-trading website was offering a set of those episodes a few years ago.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tonight's Nitro has two notable lucha debuts, Ciclope and La Parka (at least their Nitro debuts.) Come check it out in half an hour: http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling We're also up to the nWo recruiting DDP, the storyline that made him a star.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
IMAGINE WHAT WE ALMOST HAD (from the 9/2/96 Observer)

quote:

Jerry Flynn, a Florida indie wrestler who lost at the WCC PPV show and has done Pro Wrestling Fujiwara Gumi matches in Japan, got a try-out to be part of the Blood Runs Cold martial arts team, working once as a face against Ned Brady, and once as a heel against Mark Starr, and didn't look impressive either time.

in other, less interesting news...

quote:

Guerrera debuted on Nitro the next night and had a very good match against Billy Kidman, however they made a huge mistake in putting him out there to do an interview since he barely speaks English at all, and they attempted to get him to say something about NWO. The interview was a disaster, made only worse by Gene Okerlund pulling an Ed Whalen and walking from Guerrera while he was talking leaving him standing there like an idiot. Even though he worked as a face, the fans booed him as he spoke Spanish. I recognize in some circles Okerlund has a reputation for being great at handling interviews because he's got the wit, but in reality he's absolutely horrible in his job which should be to allow the wrestlers to get over, particularly new ones, and not for him to be the star of the television show.

quote:

Another report is that WCW has continued to make a play for Hart, and while he hasn't responded to whatever unofficial offers had been thrown his way to this point, the latest offer included both pro wrestling and a three movie deal from Turner and he's said to be considering this latest offer because it would give him a jump start on the inevitable life after wrestling than any 39-year-old athlete has to consider.

quote:

Dusty Rhodes is trying to work himself into the role as coach of the WCW team to counteract DiBiase.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Now I want to see Chikara booking a compelling feud between Jerry Flynn and Glacier.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So this is the offer the Hart turns down initially from WCW and gets a great deal from WWF that Vince then can't pay?

Also, they're hyping up Hart / Austin even though they don't know Brett will be around.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

MassRafTer posted:

"" posted:

Guerrera debuted on Nitro the next night and had a very good match against Billy Kidman, however they made a huge mistake in putting him out there to do an interview since he barely speaks English at all, and they attempted to get him to say something about NWO. The interview was a disaster, made only worse by Gene Okerlund pulling an Ed Whalen and walking from Guerrera while he was talking leaving him standing there like an idiot. Even though he worked as a face, the fans booed him as he spoke Spanish. I recognize in some circles Okerlund has a reputation for being great at handling interviews because he's got the wit, but in reality he's absolutely horrible in his job which should be to allow the wrestlers to get over, particularly new ones, and not for him to be the star of the television show.

Barely speaks English you say? Hm, better put him on colour commentary :russo:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

He's right, Gene Okerlund sucked.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Okerlund looks really good after all the dogshit interviewers we've had for the past decade.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Okerlund doubted El Dandy. gently caress him.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I suspect the problem is Gene just didn't care anymore, kinda like Bobby Heenan. WCW didn't exactly inspire maximum effort from the talent.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I suspect the problem is Gene just didn't care anymore, kinda like Bobby Heenan. WCW didn't exactly inspire maximum effort from the talent.

At a certain point its pretty obvious that Gene is drunk a bunch.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 6, 2013

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

bobkatt013 posted:

At a certain point its pretty obvious that Gene is drink a bunch.

That point was the mid 1980's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Numero6 posted:

Now I want to see Chikara booking a compelling feud between Jerry Flynn and Glacier.

ive got some bad/good news for you