Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Disco Salmon posted:

This is from some time back in the thread, but I made this recipe last weekend for us and it was a huge hit. I ended up adding some beans to it because, well, in this family chili has beans :( Anyway...to whoever originally posted this recipe, thank you! It was wonderful and much enjoyed by the family.

Beans are pretty cool to put in chili in my eyes.

Unless it's made by one of those bastards that puts in what must be 12 cans of beans holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Update on my chili: I mashed the pork into strings after a few hours and no more problems with dryness whatsoever! Rave reviews all around, and I have been enjoying it. Almost no heat, which I expected, despite a decent amount of cayenne powder, but that's what the family wanted. Next chili will be a polar opposite: Beef, oatmeal stout, dark chocolate, smoked chiles.

FamicomHeero
Dec 25, 2009

Retarded Goatee posted:

Oh man, I loving love chili. Made one loosely based on the old chili thread OPs recipe with a couple of friends.

I see that you based this on another recipe, but could you post your recipe? Thanks! This looks really tasty.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
My eyes were opened last night. Chipotles in adobo is the way if the lord.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Crazyeyes posted:

Yeah, amen!
I only recently found ways to buy chipotle sauce in my country, and now a real can of chipotle in adobo, and wow....
There's no real point in making chili if there's no addition of chipotle in adobo!!!

Also, just in case you've got some chipotle in adobo left:
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/03/spicy-dr-pepper-shredded-pork/

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm finally making chili again where I can make it as hot as I want. I don't have access to habaneros which are about as hot as I like but I can get scotch bonnets. Is there much difference? I think these will be on the weaker end for heat since its a supermarket in england

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Scott Bakula posted:

I'm finally making chili again where I can make it as hot as I want. I don't have access to habaneros which are about as hot as I like but I can get scotch bonnets. Is there much difference? I think these will be on the weaker end for heat since its a supermarket in england

Some Scotch Bonnets are preposterously hot. That being said they had a much more... .carribean flavor to them. I personally dont think Habaneros taste like much of anything, but scotches are delicious.

DrFrankenStrudel
May 14, 2012

Where am I? I don't even know anymore...

Scott Bakula posted:

I don't have access to habaneros which are about as hot as I like but I can get scotch bonnets. Is there much difference? I think these will be on the weaker end for heat since its a supermarket in england

They're similar in overall heat but they have different profiles. At least to my taste buds Habanero has something of a slow burn that builds and lingers while bonnets are more immediate and in your face. As far as the secondary flavors like the citrus of habanero vs the sweetness of bonnets you probably won't notice too great a difference nearly as much as you would on a chicken dish since you have all the other spices/meaty flavors thrown into the pot with them.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I really should have put the scotch bonnet in from a distance when I gave it a quick fry. Inhaling after putting it in ruined my lungs

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I made my favorite chili I've ever made:
Chili powder (Pasilla, Arbol, New Mexico, garlic powder, toasted cumin seeds, paprika)
Ninkasi Sleighr Double Dark Ale
Diced Sirloin
Onion, shallot, garlic
Tomatoes
Jalepeno and lil red chiles
Cocoa powder
aand black beans early on so they broke down to thicken the base

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I'm going to be making a new batch of chili soon. I have a rough outline but I want to know if you guys have any advice for not making a bowl of brown.

Meat:
3-5 lb stew beef
1-2 lb chorizo

Spices:
Dried chiles: negro, pasilla, ancho, mulatto, guajillo, unlabeled small red chiles from asian market (medium heat, IMO)
Non-chiles: fresh ground cumin, salt, pepper, cinnamon

Vegetables:
5-10 jalapenos
3-7 habaneros
small can of chipotles in adobo, blended
large white onion
4-6 cloves garlic

Liquid:
Beef stock
Bourbon to de-glaze
Liquid smoke

Basic plan is to sear beef and chorizo, de-glaze with bourbon, saute onions/garlic/peppers, then basically dump everything in. (Essentially Doom Rooster's process on page 5.)

I tend to eat the chili by itself, or with some sour cream/fresh onions/cheese. To that end, my goal is to create a brighter and spicier chili than I have been.

Any advice on the general plan here? Should I be adding lime juice? Is something going to be off without beer/coffee? Will any of the dried chiles add something unwanted?

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

This recipe for Carne Adobada is a good starting point if you're looking for brighter notes in your chili.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Looks really good to me. Just a couple of pieces of advice:

1) I like cinnamon in chili, especially with Chorizo, but be VERY sparing with it. A little goes a very long way.

2) Taste the finished product before adding the liquid smoke. The chipotles in adobo may be enough smokey flavor, especially if you want the brighter notes of the chili to come through. Liquid smoke is powerful, and can easily subdue the bright notes.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
That label on liquid smoke that says Shake Well is not a suggestion. It'll separate out into disgustingness. I know this from experience.:smith:

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

That label on liquid smoke that says Shake Well is not a suggestion. It'll separate out into disgustingness. I know this from experience.:smith:

Don't use liquid smoke. Smoke your own meat like a boss :black101:

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

paraquat posted:

Yeah, amen!
I only recently found ways to buy chipotle sauce in my country, and now a real can of chipotle in adobo, and wow....
There's no real point in making chili if there's no addition of chipotle in adobo!!!

Also, just in case you've got some chipotle in adobo left:
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/03/spicy-dr-pepper-shredded-pork/

I'd love to know where you found them!

I'll make chili tonight, pictures may follow.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Serendipitaet posted:

I'd love to know where you found them!

I'll make chili tonight, pictures may follow.

Well, assuming you live in Holland and you cannot find Chipotle in Adobo, I highly recommend finding the nearest "Amazing Oriental" to you.
The one near my place recently added Mexican products, and now I can get chipotle hotsauce and small cans of chipotle in adobo (amongst other things like refried beans, tomatillos, etcetera)
.....you REALLY want those cans of chipotle in adobo, they're amazing!

If you live in another country, and this was not helpful at all and you still cannot find them, try to buy them online....it´s really worth it, promise!

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Crazyeyes posted:

It really is fantastic.

This year, I'm definitely doing my own chili powder damnit. That texas chili by ironleg is really good early on, but I went to Rutts Hutt the other day, home of the greatest hot dog ever, and I forgot how much I love their chili with beans in it.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

paraquat posted:

Well, assuming you live in Holland and you cannot find Chipotle in Adobo, I highly recommend finding the nearest "Amazing Oriental" to you.
The one near my place recently added Mexican products, and now I can get chipotle hotsauce and small cans of chipotle in adobo (amongst other things like refried beans, tomatillos, etcetera)
.....you REALLY want those cans of chipotle in adobo, they're amazing!

If you live in another country, and this was not helpful at all and you still cannot find them, try to buy them online....it´s really worth it, promise!

Sorry, yeah, I live in Holland and noticed from some of your posts that you do too, so thanks a lot! There's an Amazing Oriental in my city, I'll see if they have it.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Serendipitaet posted:

Sorry, yeah, I live in Holland and noticed from some of your posts that you do too, so thanks a lot! There's an Amazing Oriental in my city, I'll see if they have it.

Ah, excellent and glad to hear there's an Amazing Oriental near you (you might want to run out and get some for the chili you're making tonight)

eet smakelijk!

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Doom Rooster posted:

Looks really good to me. Just a couple of pieces of advice:

1) I like cinnamon in chili, especially with Chorizo, but be VERY sparing with it. A little goes a very long way.

If you like cinnamon in chili, you will like garam masala in chili. Again, be sparing.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

YEAH DOG posted:

If you like cinnamon in chili, you will like garam masala in chili. Again, be sparing.

Will I like Trader Joe's Thai Red Curry Sauce in chili?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I've got a pot of chili going right now. One thing I've been doing lately is charring my poblanos on the stove (I use a stainless steel pan – I wish I had a comal so I could do it straight abuelita style) before chopping them and tossing them in. I'm hoping to get a good smokey flavor in this batch – I also deglazed my browing pan, which was super caked with char, and made up a chipotle-heavy chili powder

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Kenning posted:

I've got a pot of chili going right now. One thing I've been doing lately is charring my poblanos on the stove (I use a stainless steel pan – I wish I had a comal so I could do it straight abuelita style) before chopping them and tossing them in. I'm hoping to get a good smokey flavor in this batch – I also deglazed my browing pan, which was super caked with char, and made up a chipotle-heavy chili powder

Char those babies on the open flame.

I have an electric, so I have to broil them like a barbarian. Never used them in chili, but roasted poblanos should be their own food group.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Electric range, otherwise I would. I bought like 6 extra so I could make rajas and just snack on them all day.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Now that it's getting cold, my wife will actually let me make chili again. Gonna try roasting poblanos on my gas stove as suggested above.

I'm thinking I'm gonna do a cheap chili like the last one I made this past spring, using 50-50 mix of beef and pork stew meat. I've gone the gourmet route with top sirloin, bison steaks, and fresh pig heart, and besides the pig heart the other two didn't really come out. Either way the meat's getting cooked down to shreds, so I find the stew meat is just as delicious and a hell of a lot more cost-effective.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
The best way to char chilies is in a wood stove. Failing that, get a charcoal chimney going and stick a grill grate on top and use that.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

FaradayCage posted:

Char those babies on the open flame.

I have an electric, so I have to broil them like a barbarian. Never used them in chili, but roasted poblanos should be their own food group.

Nothin says cooking like a torch in the kitchen. Get one of these and blister some peppers.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm ready to make my own chili powder, but I'm not sure what to use! The local Mexican grocer has bags of dried anchos, chipotles, and something else.

Can somebody point me in the direction of making an awesome chili powder? Thanks!

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Phone posted:

I'm ready to make my own chili powder, but I'm not sure what to use! The local Mexican grocer has bags of dried anchos, chipotles, and something else.

Can somebody point me in the direction of making an awesome chili powder? Thanks!

This really needs to be in the OP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t0TtFrVA3k

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/abs-chili-powder-recipe/index.html

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What size dutch ovens do you guys prefer to use?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What size dutch ovens do you guys prefer to use?

I have 10, 12 and 14" ones. I use them all at one point or another. just depends how much room you need.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
How many quarts is that? We're thinking about asking for an enameled cast iron dutch oven for Christmas. Any recommendations?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

How many quarts is that? We're thinking about asking for an enameled cast iron dutch oven for Christmas. Any recommendations?

I got an 8 quart oval enameled DO from Costco for about $80 and it's been fantastic. I don't know that I necessarily always need the extra capacity as it's quite large, but it doesn't hurt when I DO need it.

Foxrunsecurity
Aug 10, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Le Creuset and Staub are fantastic and high quality but pretty expensive. Lodge is pretty good and cheap but they had issues with flaking enamel, though I've heard that's been fixed and they have pretty solid reviews.

Cerebellum
May 15, 2007

Foxrunsecurity posted:

Le Creuset and Staub are fantastic and high quality but pretty expensive.

You can usually find cheaper Le Creuset at HomeGoods or TJ Maxx (same parent company).

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
It's Chili season again, and today I thought that I'd take my hand at working on my own variation. You know, for science :science: Please forgive the fact that some of the photos are a bit out of focus, it was an arm day at the gym and I couldn't quite hold the phone steady.

Ingredient List
  • 6lb Bone in Short Rib
  • 1lb Ground Sweet Italian Sausage
  • 2 Sweet Onions, diced
  • 2-3 (Your preference) Carrots, diced
  • 3 Ancho chilies
  • 3 Pasilla chilies
  • 3 Guajillo chilies
  • 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
  • 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
  • 1 tablespoon coarse ground coffee
  • 1 qt Beef Stock, I used low-sodium and adjusted the salt to taste
  • 1 bottle red wine
  • 1 tin of Chipotles in Adobo sauce
  • 1/2 cup All-purpose Flour
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Couple sprigs of fresh rosemary and thyme
  • NO BEANS!

Procedure
Brown the sausage in a large pot, you'll use this for the entire dish. I used my enamel dutch-oven. As usual, don't worry too much about it sticking to the bottom, but rather you hear it crackle, not sizzle.

Pure glory

Season your beef with generous portions of salt and pepper. Then dredge in flour and sear all sides in batches.

Once finished, remove all the meat and let it rest.

Roughly dice your veggies and add them to your pot. Sweat your veggies until they soften.

Now we go into crazy town. Add the entire bottle of wine and bring to a boil. You'll want a fairly robust red wine. I also added in couple sprigs of thyme and rosemary.

Once it's boiling, let it reduce until you are left with a syrup.

While your wine is reducing, make the chili powder. I've found this is mostly a matter of personal taste. I chose the three chilies listed because I wanted to feature flavors that would complement the wine. All three of the chilies are fairly fruity and sweet. However, they rate fairly low on the scoville scale (the metric by which the amount capsaicin in the chili relates to heat to our senses).

Since I'm serving this chili to some co-workers who don't really have a tolerance for heat, I didn't really add anything to kick up the intensity. If you wish to increase the heat, add your preferred poison.

De-stem and de-seed, adding into a blender when finished. Also add the paprika, cumin seeds, and coffee. Blend until you get the texture you desire.

By this time your wine should be reduced.

Toast up your chili powder and add into the pot. Add the meat back in and fill with stock until covered.

I also chopped up half the tin of chipotle peppers. Turned out I needed to add more later, but I wanted to be conservative.

Bring it to a slow simmer and let it sit for hours.

About two hours in, the bones will begin to separate from the meat. I left them in until the end though, because flavor or something.

Four hours

Six hours. I finished here, pulled the bones out, and added several dashes of fish sauce and soy sauce.

The finished product!

It was insanely rich, warming your mouth without feeling heat from the peppers. The wine provided a fantastic body and color to the dish. It's a deep burgundy, not the usual red-brown you get. I love it, probably one of the best I've ever made or tasted for that matter.

WaterIsPoison fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Nov 18, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

WaterIsPoison posted:

The finished product!

That looks amazing, FYI.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

withak posted:

That looks amazing, FYI.

Thanks! Unfortunately, I should have drained off more fat after I seared the beef and pork. The end result today was a dish that was just drenched in grease. It was very difficult to eat, even though the chili itself was tasty. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Waterbed posted:

My chili recipe is loosely based off of Alton Brown's. I always think there's room for improvement (of course people can get into decade long arguments over chili too sooo) but it does me well, feel free to rip it to shreds.

2.5 pounds stew meat
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
12 oz of apple cider (no one in my family will TOUCH alcohol, can't use beer here).
1 can beef broth
1 tablespoon corn starch
2 chipotle peppers chopped
1 can tomato paste
1.5 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 lime worth of juice

salt to taste. sear meat, sweat onions, pour all that poo poo together (obviously not the corn starch directly), let it simmer for like 6 hours, eat.

The lime really does it for me.

I just made this with a few changes and additions and it came out amazing. Thank you for this recipe.

Alterations: Calpis juice instead of lime juice, 2 lbs ground lamb and 1 lbs beef sausage and used the whole can of chipotle peppers. :getin:
Additions: 1 can corn (sweet), 1 can green beans (fat), 1 can pinto beans, 1 can black beans and 1 can diced tomatoes.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 20, 2013