Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

hollylolly posted:

:( Clockblocker :(

The body count in this story is staggering.

I haven't seen this much death since the Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
You're at Clockblocker and you think the body count is staggering.

Just you wait, it gets worse.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

You're at Clockblocker and you think the body count is staggering.

Just you wait, it gets worse.

"Hey Game of Thrones"
-- yeah?
"Why are you keeping so many people alive" :cheeky:

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times, but I read the OP and didnt see it and I didnt want to take the chance of seeing spoilers in the thread. I just got a new paperwhite and would love to read Worm on it, do I have any option for that?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

loudog999 posted:

Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times, but I read the OP and didnt see it and I didnt want to take the chance of seeing spoilers in the thread. I just got a new paperwhite and would love to read Worm on it, do I have any option for that?

Worm does not currently have any ebook versions. Da web page is the only place to read it at the moment, there are plans to release some digital book formats once the story wraps up.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

loudog999 posted:

No. Something like Instapaper or Readability makes it a little more user-friendly for readying, but there isn't an ebook option ATM.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Roundboy posted:

"Hey Game of Thrones"
-- yeah?
"Why are you keeping so many people alive" :cheeky:

And it does it while being so much better written as well. Gurm is such a loving hack.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

NecroMonster posted:

And it does it while being so much better written as well. Gurm is such a loving hack.

And having a production rate that puts any writer (let alone Martin) whose name doesn't rhyme with Sandon Branderson to shame.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'm reasonably sure Wildbow's writing rate is CURRENTLY outstripping bransan, but I'd assume WIldbow won't keep this rate up past the end of Worm. Though, he does say he's planning to start a new series afterwards, so...

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I doubt he's outstripping Sanderson's writing rate, maybe matching it, but, thanks to not relying on traditional publishing, he's got Sanderson's publishing rate eating god damned dust. It's eating the second cloud of dust the first cloud of dust kicked up by moving so fast.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

>1.5 megawords in 2 years - I'm just not sure. I'd be interested to find out, though.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
I just want Wildbow to publish something so I can buy it up. Hardcovers, paperbacks, comic books, kindle versions, I don't care. I just want to own this epic.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
How big a book would Worm be if published?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

veekie posted:

How big a book would Worm be if published?

It would probably be multiple books. I dunno, 9 or so?

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

He's outstripped most of them:

http://www.cesspit.net/drupal/node/1869

Pretty much on par with GRRM up to date, in a fraction of the time.

Fellwenner fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 1, 2013

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Well, as I said, it's over 1.5 megawords already - for comparison, I believe an individual mistborn book is around 300 kilowords. So, you're talking 5 or 6 volumes the size of an individual Mistborn book. And it's not over yet.

Fakedit: Fellwenner: only including Way of Kings under Sanderson is like only including Fellowship of the Ring under Tolkein... Way of Kings is a big book, but even within that universe, there's probably 5 or 6 times that much material already.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 1, 2013

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
What's Worm's wordcount for comparison?

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Well you got me there.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

veekie posted:

What's Worm's wordcount for comparison?

The last metric someone took was ~three story arcs ago, (if I remember correctly,) and pegged it at 1.5 million words.

That's 27 Story arcs, each including 6-12 chapters on average (which, coincidentally includes the shortest of arcs), ringing in at 1.5 million.

I'm pretty sure the most recent couple (not included in the above total) are some of the longest, too, but that's just a gut feeling.

[Edit] Ok, just went and checked the numbers.
The count was as of arc 29, chapter 4, and put the story that far at 1,535,255 words. Roughly 2/3 were from the main character (Taylor's) perspective, while ~ 1/3 of which were interludes (written from other characters perspectives).

These numbers are not exact or official.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 1, 2013

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
Ok, so, for Gurm-to-Worm comparison:

Gurm began writing his first book, "A Game of Thrones," in 1991, and published it in 1996[1], and it totaled ~398,000 words[2]. Since it may have taken him time to find a publisher or whatnot on this first manuscript, a problem Wildbow has not yet attempted/solved, let's use the average words-per-book and time-per-book between all the rest of Gurm's novels as a comparison.

"[2 posted:

"]
A Clash of kings: ~326,000
A Storm of Swords: ~424,000
A Feast for Crows: ~300,000
A Dance with Dragons: ~422,000
Average words per book: 368,000

"[1 posted:

"]
A Game of Thrones (1996)
A Clash of Kings (1998)
A Storm of Swords (2000)
A Feast for Crows (2005)
A Dance with Dragons (2011)
Average time taken per book: (1998 - 1996) + (2000 - 1998) + (2005 - 2000) + (2011 - 2005) = 15years / (the last) 4 books = 3.75 years per book.

If we assume that Worm fan in the comments is accurate, that puts Wildbow's work on Worm at 1,535,255 words for the period of June 11, 2011 through September 26, 2013. A period of roughly 2.25 years.

Gurm:
368,000 words per book / 3.75 years per book = 98,133 words per year.

Worm:
1,535,255 words / 2.25 years = 682,335 words per year.

Gurm appears to write at 14% of the rate that Wildbow appears to.

Disclaimer: This is, of course, considering only the author's major work, ignoring any other projects they are taking on during that time, and is not meant as an attack or critique on either author or project.

[1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Song_of_Ice_and_Fire
[2]http://www.cesspit.net/drupal/node/1869

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 1, 2013

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Blasphemeral posted:

Ok, so, for Gurm-to-Worm comparison:

Gurm began writing his first book, "A Game of Thrones," in 1991, and published it in 1996[1], and it totaled ~398,000 words[2]. Since it may have taken him time to find a publisher or whatnot on this first manuscript, a problem Wildbow has not yet attempted/solved, let's use the average words-per-book and time-per-book between all the rest of Gurm's novels as a comparison.

Average words per book: 368,000

Average time taken per book: (1998 - 1996) + (2000 - 1998) + (2005 - 2000) + (2011 - 2005) = 15years / (the last) 4 books = 3.75 years per book.

If we assume that Worm fan in the comments is accurate, that puts Wildbow's work on Worm at 1,535,255 words for the period of June 11, 2011 through September 26, 2013. A period of roughly 2.25 years.

Gurm:
368,000 words per book / 3.75 years per book = 98,133 words per year.

Worm:
1,535,255 words / 2.25 years = 682,335 words per year.

Gurm appears to write at 14% the rate that Wildbow appears to.

Disclaimer: This is, of course, considering only the author's major work, ignoring any other projects they are taking on during that time, and is not meant as an attack or critique on either author or project.

[1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Song_of_Ice_and_Fire
[2]http://www.cesspit.net/drupal/node/1869

Now compare wildbow and Sanderson

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Piell posted:

Now compare wildbow and Sanderson

:science: That is left as an excercise for the reader. </copout>

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008
I've been doing some re-reading of earlier chapters and I found this nice snippet:

quote:

“Regent couldn’t use his power against Leviathan. Can you imagine him getting Leviathan under control?”

“I’d rather not,” I admitted. ”There’s a sweet spot as far as rep goes. Having a pet Endbringer puts us in the ‘too scary to be allowed to live’ category.”

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Hey, as a follow up to the how do I get this on my Kindle question, in case anyone else would be interested in doing this I found a way through Instapaper, just sign in and follow the steps here

http://www.instapaper.com/user/kindle

Im now reading on my paperwhite and it is pretty great.

Cytokinesis
Aug 18, 2008

He sees the power of a god behind it. A power that has bested him!

loudog999 posted:

Hey, as a follow up to the how do I get this on my Kindle question, in case anyone else would be interested in doing this I found a way through Instapaper, just sign in and follow the steps here

In another forum Wildbow requested that people not spread around ebook copies, as it could seriously hurt his ability to publish/make money from Worm (and make future stories).

Wildbow posted:

I should stress that I am going to monetize it, it's in the cards, and only extreme circumstances would prevent me from doing so. At the very minimum, an ebook is nigh-inevitable, with a print book if I can get the funds together (I should stress it's in the order of tens of thousands of dollars to get an editor, covers and to get it printed - 60k at a minimum, going by what I've looked at). It would likely involve a kickstarter, a series of kickstarters, or a few exceedingly generous donators.

For the record, I'm not not super duper happy with the print/fake ebook copies being put together, but I do accept that it'll happen, and as you say, I'd be very much appreciative if you didn't circulate them, because all it really takes is the wrong person getting ahold of said copy and getting a rough edit done before putting it on amazon, and getting the legit version out becomes 200x harder (with me having to seek legal recourse, among other things).

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Cytokinesis posted:

In another forum Wildbow requested that people not spread around ebook copies, as it could seriously hurt his ability to publish/make money from Worm (and make future stories).

I did see that, but he never mentioned that he didn't want people to use instapaper/pocket to read it. This is all that is, it just sends your instapaper articles to your Kindle, there is no sharing or altering the content involved.

Cytokinesis
Aug 18, 2008

He sees the power of a god behind it. A power that has bested him!

loudog999 posted:

I did see that, but he never mentioned that he didn't want people to use instapaper/pocket to read it. This is all that is, it just sends your instapaper articles to your Kindle, there is no sharing or altering the content involved.
Ah, well I don't have a kindle. Anyway, I mostly wanted to put that out there so people are aware of it.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Cytokinesis posted:

Ah, well I don't have a kindle. Anyway, I mostly wanted to put that out there so people are aware of it.

No worries, I understand. Since I need to visit the page to save it to my Instapaper before I push it to my kindle I hope I'm ok. Anyways, happy reading all, I really am enjoying this

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Worm - Teneral e.1 God drat Wildbow you magnificent bastard. There wasn't anything at all about that chapter that wasn't fantastic, unless we count the messed up formatting before he fixed it anyway.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Someone said the description of the liar was basically describing a trollface. Just an Easter egg or a clue? I kinda feel like there's something going on we don't know about after reading that update. Maybe Valkyrie collected Weaver?

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 2, 2013

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah no, seriously now. If loving Nilbog gets a second chance and Taylor is left in the lurch I will be legit furious. How adorable that all the petty, insane and selfish monsters get a shot at redemption. But the one monster that actually sacked up and got something worthwhile accomplished? Left for dead in the middle of nowhere. Awesome. At the very least I won't settle for anything less than Contessa being horribly murdered for the staggering amount of hubris she displayed.

Ugh, every one of these epilogue chapters is just going to make me more and more angry about how 30.7 ended.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah no, seriously now. If loving Nilbog gets a second chance and Taylor is left in the lurch I will be legit furious. How adorable that all the petty, insane and selfish monsters get a shot at redemption. But the one monster that actually sacked up and got something worthwhile accomplished? Left for dead in the middle of nowhere. Awesome. At the very least I won't settle for anything less than Contessa being horribly murdered for the staggering amount of hubris she displayed.

Ugh, every one of these epilogue chapters is just going to make me more and more angry about how 30.7 ended.

It's totally possible that the message of this work isn't going to be a positive one. It might very well be "humanity is totally poo poo except this one girl that they abused the hell out of but then they killed her".

I didn't get the impression that this was where the work was heading from reading it, but it's totally possible, humanity really isn't treated in a super positive light in most of this work. I'll remind you that the only truly good people would be a computer program and a girl who made herself into a monster as part of her attempt to be that sort of "good" in the first place.

It wouldn't make the story a bad one, it'd just keep me from wanting to read anything Wildbow writes next, no matter how drat good a writer Wildbow is.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

quote is not edit. ugg

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

NecroMonster posted:

It's totally possible that the message of this work isn't going to be a positive one. It might very well be "humanity is totally poo poo except this one girl that they abused the hell out of but then they killed her".

Yeah I know. It would work as a logically consistent ending, just not as a good ending.

The entire story is about a lonely and depressed girl trying to make connections, figure where she fits in the world and generally find a reason to go on living. Having the ending be more or less her suicide is something you can do, but I'd argue whether or not it's something you should do.

NecroMonster posted:

It wouldn't make the story a bad one, it'd just keep me from wanting to read anything Wildbow writes next, no matter how drat good a writer Wildbow is.

Yes it wouldn't make the story bad, just the ending. And likewise I'd have zero interest in reading anything else Wildbow produces, for the same reason I don't tend to read much John Steinbeck or tend not to stare at pictures of dead puppies for hours on end.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I love the idea that Valkyrie (seriously, these names are so great) could possibly bring back the dead she has collected through Nilbog's creations. Transdimensional New York City is such an awesome concept as well.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I think that Khepri is probably going to come back in some manner, though perhaps completely broken. We still don't know Contessa killed her to begin with, and for all we know Ciara collected her in some way. She's also now considering the possibilities of resurrecting capes.

It's also worth noting that Ciara probably considered Taylor to be akin to a sister, considering Contessa's statements on the matter and Ms. Yamada's own observations of Ciara.

To be honest it'd be pretty rad if Khepri became a new S-class threat in the sequel. Not due to her actually being that big of a threat anymore, but due to the potential of it.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

If Eidolon didn't create the Endbringers, and who/what ever did create them is still around, Id expect another one to show up abusing either dimensional portals, or mind control, or both. What Taylor managed should easily be a show of power big enough to "inspire" a new one the way Phir-si's time loop weapon did, or the way the capes co-operation against Khonshu inspired Bohu and Tohu's forms and powers.

That is a scary thought.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NecroMonster posted:

If Eidolon didn't create the Endbringers, and who/what ever did create them is still around, Id expect another one to show up abusing either dimensional portals, or mind control, or both. What Taylor managed should easily be a show of power big enough to "inspire" a new one the way Phir-si's time loop weapon did, or the way the capes co-operation against Khonshu inspired Bohu and Tohu's forms and powers.

That is a scary thought.

poo poo, I didn't even think of Khonsu or Tohu Bohu that way. Did you notice that on your own?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Tollymain posted:

poo poo, I didn't even think of Khonsu or Tohu Bohu that way. Did you notice that on your own?

Nah, but I did come up with the explanation for Toho Bohu as being based on co-operation. The Khonsu thing has been pointed out in the comments before. Makes me wonder what inspired Behemoth, Leviathan, and the Simurgh.

Hell if I'm remembering it right, Taylor even thinks that Khonshu is basically using what was used to wound Behemoth against them during the time the Wards and her were watching the feed of the fight(s).

NecroMonster fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Nov 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thorf
Jun 26, 2013

NecroMonster posted:

Nah, but I did come up with the explanation for Toho Bohu as being based on co-operation. The Khonsu thing has been pointed out in the comments before. Makes me wonder what inspired Behemoth, Leviathan, and the Simurgh.

Hell if I'm remembering it right, Taylor even thinks that Khonshu is basically using what was used to wound Behemoth against them during the time the Wards and her were watching the feed of the fight(s).

Worm posted:

Wanton spoke, almost hesitant. “Is that- doesn’t that remind anyone of-”
“Yes,” Grace said. “The barrier, the time manipulation. It’s similar.”
Similar to what we did.

Wildbow's probably going to keep Taylor's fate ambiguous until the very end.

But if Fortuna killed Taylor, can we really blame her?
During the Echidna arc, did anyone else think, "They should have shot Noelle while they had the chance?"

thorf fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 3, 2013

• Locked thread