Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
What is even the deal there? Someone running from the police?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
She was apparently at someones house and they didn't want her there and called the cops. Then when they spotted her vehicle, they turned on their lights and she ran, driving into the side of a train. Then the second train finished what the first had started.

As for the Reading diagrams, I will get them as soon as I can. The book is currently at my Mom's in storage. I also have diagrams for a proposed Reading Steam Turbine.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I almost turned that video off after about a minute. That would have been a mistake :catstare:

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Good job, p-way mushroom installers.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

jadebullet posted:

She was apparently at someones house and they didn't want her there and called the cops. Then when they spotted her vehicle, they turned on their lights and she ran, driving into the side of a train. Then the second train finished what the first had started.

As for the Reading diagrams, I will get them as soon as I can. The book is currently at my Mom's in storage. I also have diagrams for a proposed Reading Steam Turbine.

Wow that's pretty messed up. There has to be more to that story, I can't imagine someone would run from the cops at those speeds over something so minor.

I'd love to see the steam turbine as well. The ones that actually got built were crazy enough, I'd love to see a design that never made it.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Ryand-Smith posted:

Yep, thats point read operate method of operations, which forces one to see, acknowledge, and understand.

They do a little bit of this on the NYC subway. Conductors are required to point at the striped sign in the station before opening the doors.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

quote:

Diesel-Pneumatic
This 4-6-4 diesel-pneumatic loco was designed to solve the problem of power transmission between a diesel engine and the wheels. Time has shown that diesel-electric is the way to go, but in earlier years it was by no means obvious that dragging around a heavy generator and lots of electric motors and associated control equipment was a good idea.

The diesel-pneumatic locomotive was planned in 1924, an order being placed on the 18th September 1924 in response to a quotation made on the 11th April 1924. Construction took five years rather than the planned single year, which indicates some pretty serious technical difficulties had to be overcome.

Completed in 1929, V3201 was the first high-performance Diesel loco on the Deutsch ReichsBahn. It used the MAN Lo6 Vu 45/42 engine, originally developed for use in U-boats. (surprise, surprise) It was a six-cylinder 1000/1200hp engine direct-coupled to a MAN 2-cylinder double-acting single-stage air compressor. Air was delivered at 7 Bar. (102 psi) The design speed was 70 km/hr and the weight in operating condition 70 tons; the maximum axle loading was 18 tons.

More Here

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I almost turned that video off after about a minute. That would have been a mistake :catstare:

I watched that and thought that the second cop was a lazy, fat useless lump as he sat on his rear end while the other guys did all the dangerous, hard work.

Turns out that he was the brains of the operation.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So I just found out today that a girl I went to college with had an accident in which she lost one foot. I thought maybe it was a car or motorcycle accident, but nope:

http://www.wvec.com/my-city/norfolk/1-injured-after-being-hit-by-train--220041741.html

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Wilford Cutlery posted:

So I just found out today that a girl I went to college with had an accident in which she lost one foot. I thought maybe it was a car or motorcycle accident, but nope:

http://www.wvec.com/my-city/norfolk/1-injured-after-being-hit-by-train--220041741.html

Remember kids, don't drink and sleep (on busy rail lines).

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Wilford Cutlery posted:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
https://www.uprr.com/newsinfo/community_ties/2013/october/1016_portraits.shtml

That was just a big thing at our work. Trains are not things to gently caress around with folks.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Here's some black and white archive newsreel of the very first British Rail Class 81 (or E3001 for the pre-TOPS era), featuring some amazing voiceover work: http://www.aparchive.com/metadata/BRITISH-RAILWAYS-LATEST/c2a6d93686f9475d8aa12a15bbc26be1

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The ZigZag railway in New South Wales has been burnt in bushfires yesterday.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zig_Zag_Railway

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-19/fire-causes-millions-in-damage-to-zig-zag-railway/5033444

quote:

NSW bushfires: Blaze causes millions of damage to Lithgow's iconic Zig Zag Railway

Lithgow's Zig Zag Railway has been left with a damage bill as high as $4 million after devastating bushfires ripped through the Blue Mountains on Thursday.

Director Alexander Robinson-Mills says trains, carriages and equipment have been completely destroyed.
Mr Robinson-Mills says he expects the damage bill will run into the millions.

"We do have some insurance for the things that were destroyed. We are unable to make exact estimates, but we are estimating between $3 million and $4 million," he said.

The railway, which is run by a not-for-profit cooperative, runs trains on the original Zig Zag railway, which was built in 1869.

Safety and financial issues could have seen the railway close permanently last year.

The site was on the verge of restarting passenger services when the fire hit.

Mr Robinson-Mills says he is hopeful the railway will be able to rebuild.

Burnt out carriage at Zig Zag Railway Photo: One of the carriages damaged in bushfires at the Zig Zag Railway at Lithgow. (Supplied: Zig Zag Railway)

RIP Thomas the tank engine (and others) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kASUPa3qiBs

Edit:
hahah...

quote:

In 2003 the railway was used in the production of the Hollywood film Stealth.[7] The area stood in for mountainous regions in North Korea and locomotives were specially painted with Korean Chosongul (Hangul) characters.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Oct 19, 2013

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Going back a couple of pages but this little fellow was nuclear powered for a while.

It was one of two Andrew Barcley fireless steam engines that worked on Heysham Nuclear power station for a while in the 70's.

They use high pressure steam from the power station in order to run around the sidings

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There's been an update about the two people killed by a BART train. According to reuters they were investigating a dip in the track when they were run over by an automated train.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
We had a guy in a backhoe fatally injured after a train hit him. Stay safe out there everyone.

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009

Strawberry posted:

We had a guy in a backhoe fatally injured after a train hit him. Stay safe out there everyone.

Where are you working at now?

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why

Rabid Anti-Dentite! posted:

Where are you working at now?

RP18, San Bernadino sub, getting close to Pico Rivera.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Last page someone promised drawings of a proposed oversized steeplecar. Now in Europe those design is called Krokodil-style, after the famous swiss heavy fright steeplecar.
I was at the libary today and picked up a book about those, and there are a few drawings of unrealized designs.
The Swiss boilt a lot of articulated fright locomotives to get those heavy fright trains around the tight corners of the Gotthardbahn.

Here are three steam based steeplecars:

Remember we are talking about people who seriously built this:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

tonberrytoby posted:

What the gently caress is going on here.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

BrokenKnucklez posted:

What the gently caress is going on here.
The pantograph powers a heater that heats the boiler to make steam.

I'm not joking. There's a whole article on it here: http://www.aqpl43.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/swisselec/swisselc.htm

One of them is still in service apparently but without the electric components.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

tonberrytoby posted:

At first I looked at it and thought "What's so weird about a little steam locomo... OH. WHAT?".

My initial conclusion was that it was a dual mode locomotive, like an FL9. I mean, electric locomotives have been around longer than diesels, so why wouldn't there be a steam-electric dual mode?

I'm happy that the actual reason is even crazier.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
That steam thing is a steam locomotive that was "cost effectively" refitted for electric power when Switzerland was low on coals during the war.

Here are two more fun drawings:

A design from 1931 by Maschienenfabrik Oerlikon with C+C+C drive. Each 3-axle-group is coupled by a rod and driven by 4 motors.

Here is the one that I actually remembered. Turns out I remembered wrong, it is a diesel-electric not an electric lok.

1934 designed by Sulzer.
The frame has five units (the motor-blocks are separate units as with a classic Krokodil ).
In the floating cabs are diesel motors.
Each of the wheel-cabs has a single e-motor driving the wheel group with rods, like in the classic.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Zeether posted:

The pantograph powers a heater that heats the boiler to make steam.

Seems so foreign to me.... But in the US, the GG1 used fuel oil to power the steam generators on them.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

tonberrytoby posted:

Ok this is probably one of the coolest loving things I have ever seen. I bet it is/was badass to see in motion.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 21, 2013

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
As promised, here is the diagrams I was talking about.

Also, an added treat, and the reason for my delay in posting them. My one friend is actually working on making it for Trainz.

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009

Strawberry posted:

RP18, San Bernadino sub, getting close to Pico Rivera.

Right on your kinda close to me. Stay safe out there.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx6hmSclbRE

Youtube video of a Steam Locomotive being built.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

CommieGIR posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx6hmSclbRE

Youtube video of a Steam Locomotive being built.

Seeing that video made me miss my grandfather. He worked for the Lima Locomotive Works before WWII building steam locomotives. Unfortunately he died when I was 5 so I never really got to talk to him about the trains that he helped build.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I went out to Winter Park today and got some shots of an Amtrak service pulling in. They're building a new station because of SunRail.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
One of the new locally built E-Class trams went down my street half an hour ago, driver training/testing :3:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-class_Melbourne_tram
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgqXeZ2DYZ0
Pretty darn quiet trams, just wish they had the old bells like on the W/Z/B classes.
Sadly, they probably won't run on this route until around 2030. We get all the old trams, not even the last two new classes in the early 2000's run here except for late at night driver training.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Speed camera and train related for total AI goodness
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=398_1382782728

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Wind happened

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Did the old fat sleeping guy die?

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Apparently the guy driving it survived! Bastard trees, they stay in the same place for 100 years then jump out at you.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yowsers. That's pretty freaky.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Zeether posted:

I went out to Winter Park today and got some shots of an Amtrak service pulling in. They're building a new station because of SunRail.

Where is it in relation to the old train station / current farmer's market in Winter Park? That's where my brother got married, and it's a beautiful space but a bit rustic.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Where is it in relation to the old train station / current farmer's market in Winter Park? That's where my brother got married, and it's a beautiful space but a bit rustic.

Right on top of it/across the street from it respectively. If that's shot at the angle I think it is, the farmer's market is behind the train.

Also, sup fellow Orlando goon. :respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ExplodingSims posted:

Also, sup fellow Orlando goon. :respek:

Miami, actually.