Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Great episode. A bit of a rough start but once it got going it didnt' stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

Honestly one of the reasons that I4H is so good to me is that, no matter who the players are, everyone's still beholden to the whims of Matt Besser. The Tim Tebow episode is one of my favorites because every minute of it is just tinted with one man's hilarious rage, and if the show were structured just straight scene-to-scene without his poo poo, it wouldn't be nearly as fun or unpredictable as it is now. I love that he'll occasionally walk in with a horrific story like that, or decide to just up and dominate an episode with debates about gay athletes and almost no improv. It's kind of a delight that he never holds back—even when it doesn't work, it's always interesting.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

Dark Weasel posted:

Honestly one of the reasons that I4H is so good to me is that, no matter who the players are, everyone's still beholden to the whims of Matt Besser. The Tim Tebow episode is one of my favorites because every minute of it is just tinted with one man's hilarious rage, and if the show were structured just straight scene-to-scene without his poo poo, it wouldn't be nearly as fun or unpredictable as it is now. I love that he'll occasionally walk in with a horrific story like that, or decide to just up and dominate an episode with debates about gay athletes and almost no improv. It's kind of a delight that he never holds back—even when it doesn't work, it's always interesting.

Yeah, Besser is an interesting guy. I kind of like how it is half talk-back radio rants and half long-form improv. His personality is definitely part of the show's appeal, even when he isn't being funny.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Conduit for Sale! posted:

The rest of the episode was really good though. Two great stories in one ep, both with even better scenes based on them, AND I learned a ton about mortgages!
I feel like I know a lot, but I've mainly picked it up from Improv shows.

The best part about Bessers rant is that at any moment during a livid debate or horrifying story (todays actually might be the worst, both for the crime but mainly for the Jurors just symnpathizing for the Nazi murderer) he can just suddenly go "alright let's do some scenes on that." and the whole show instantly turns on its head. That moment in itself always has me laughing.

And that time he was on the phone that guy from twitter who disagreed with him on a dumb point

"Okay, yeah bye. See yah. I'm right. ok bye."

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Holy poo poo that What's Bother You? segment was loving dark. I'm glad Besser brings up poo poo like this and tries to make something out of it because it really highlights what monsters some people really are underneath. Every time a clip from the documentary played I was loving furious, those people shouldn't be allowed to even be near kids never mind have their own.

I'm going for a run to burn off the anger because sweet christ those jurors :stare:

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Good god this last Who Charted? was tremendous. At some point during the show PFT just flipped a switch and was on the rest of the show. I think it started with him doing JFK as Captain Philips.

Also I figured Howard would like Lorde because that's the kind of thing he likes, but it's still shocking that he likes an actual good song. Also also I wish I weren't so poor so I could hear PFT and Scott Aukerman sing Royals on that live ep. :negative:

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Lugaloco posted:

Holy poo poo that What's Bother You? segment was loving dark. I'm glad Besser brings up poo poo like this and tries to make something out of it because it really highlights what monsters some people really are underneath. Every time a clip from the documentary played I was loving furious, those people shouldn't be allowed to even be near kids never mind have their own.

I'm going for a run to burn off the anger because sweet christ those jurors :stare:

It was horrifying but I completely saw the humor in everything they were saying. The jurors and teacher had such an absurd perspective and the only rational thing to do was laugh about it.

I've lived in the south, midwest, and west coast and it's always cracked me up how people on the coast think it's any different. There are terrible people everywhere, and it's just a matter of how comfortable they feel about expressing it.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

SunshineDanceParty posted:

It was horrifying but I completely saw the humor in everything they were saying. The jurors and teacher had such an absurd perspective and the only rational thing to do was laugh about it.

There was a certain humor to it, but for me it was overshadowed by being reminded that there are plenty of people in this country who would like very much to kill me, and (more terrifying) that there are even more people who would justify and defend my murder. It could've just been the mood I was in or the day I was having or whatever, but still.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Hayes and Sean's suggestions for potential Batmen is one of the best things.

My vote is for Elizabeth Smart because I can't imagine anyone tougher.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I agree with them 100%, she could easily go toe to toe with the Jokeman.

doetc
Jul 24, 2006
The Write Right Stuff was the funniest bit I've heard on any Earwolf podcast in a long time. Any time they make fun of engineer Cody is fantastic.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I started listening to How Did This Get Made? last week and I have been binging to the point where I am neglecting other podcasts. So great.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

The Berzerker posted:

I started listening to How Did This Get Made? last week and I have been binging to the point where I am neglecting other podcasts. So great.

It's awesome, I especially love the moment that happens almost every episode where June blows their minds with a theory or observation they hadn't thought of.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Eltoasto posted:

It's awesome, I especially love the moment that happens almost every episode where June blows their minds with a theory or observation they hadn't thought of.

But really...

what is a street fighter?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

The Berzerker posted:

Ugh, I wish I could listen to all of the live episodes fresh again. Say what you will about HDTGM, but they have the best audience questions/comments during live shows.

I also loving adore the moment during the Reindeer Games episode when Zooks realizes the meaning of the names 'Rudy' and 'Nick'

LockHeart
Apr 8, 2005

I'll make Coach Haribo proud!
This Adam Pally interview bit is amazing.

Follow Adam Twitter

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Eltoasto posted:

I wish Paul would record June watching one of the movies and make a highlight reel of it, it sounds like her reactions are even better than her post-movie analysis. The fact that they all seemed unimpressed with After Earth yet June still tossed her pen in surprise at one point is amazing.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Eltoasto posted:

I wish theyd do Jack and Jill already, June has talked about it so much, I cant wait to hear what she has to say about it.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Eltoasto posted:

June saying she thought the villain in Halloween III was going to turn out to be "a leprechaun who...went bad" was bordering on self-parody. She threw that out there before they talked about practically anything else!

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

JethroMcB posted:

June saying she thought the villain in Halloween III was going to turn out to be "a leprechaun who...went bad" was bordering on self-parody. She threw that out there before they talked about practically anything else!

I am worried that it'll become a gimmick. I love when June has these moments but only if it's natural. If it's forced it'll just get stale.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The Senator Giroux posted:

But really...

what is a street fighter?

This made someone in the next cubicle think I was choking because I was trying so hard not to burst out laughing like a lunatic in my silent office.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

I love Adam Pally blowing up and antagonizing people during improv.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Yeah, I'm digging Hollywood Handbook.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Something I only just noticed is that since Earwolf hosts their shows on soundcloud now, you can see how many people have listened to each episode. I've always been kind of curious about it, so here are the numbers from last weeks episode of each podcast in case anyone else cares:

How Did This Get Made? (Halloween III) - 126,634
Comedy Bang Bang (Todd Glass/Amber Tamblyn) - 98,330
BTW with Jeff Garlin (Sarah Silverman) - 65,631
The Cracked Podcast - 33,374
Professor Blastoff - 25,974
Sklarbro Country (Ed Helms) - 23,848
Who Charted (PFT) - 23,543
Nerd Poker - 21,597
Improv4Humans - 16,607
Kevin Pollak's Chatshow (Greg Proops) - 14,117
Rafflecast - 7,580 (Most recent episode was 5 months ago :smith:)
Fogelnest Files - 6,772
Ronna & Beverly - 6,139
Totally Laime - 5,840
Hollywood Handbook (Donald Glover) - 5,560
Yo, Is This Racist? - 2,767 (I think they put out five of these a week and they usually get a couple thousand plays each)
Owen & TJ Read the News - 2,568
Shots Fired - 1,647
Nocturnal Emotions (Rob Pope) - 1,486

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 31, 2013

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Which of you dummies doesn't listen to the Fogelnest Files?!

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

The Berzerker posted:

Which of you dummies doesn't listen to the Fogelnest Files Hollywood Handbook?!

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
I wonder if those are representative of the itunes #s? I have a feeling those make those numbers insignificant.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Hollis Brown posted:

I wonder if those are representative of the itunes #s? I have a feeling those make those numbers insignificant.

Yeah, I use the Soundcloud files to try out new series or listen to old favorite episodes at work. I'd guess (hope) that those are representative of the overall weekly subscriber bases.

I just recently started to check out Reality Show Show, way late after the fact, based on this thread's recommendations. You guys weren't kidding - they wrangled a good, consistently funny 15 minutes out of just the line "I have a BMW, a Porsche, a Monster Truck, a house and 30 companies! Suck my DICK!"

"He got the BMW, the Porsche, the house and the 30 companies and said, 'I need one more thing before this is a great soundbite.'"
"Something with 3 syllables - it can't just be a regular truck."

"It makes you wonder...What is he doing on this show?"

"CelebrityNetWorth lists him at $500,000...That's a lot, is that liquid? Probably not! It's tied up...in a Porsche, a Monster Truck, a BMW...A MURDERED OUT BMW..."

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 31, 2013

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

Yeah, I use the Soundcloud files to try out new series or listen to old favorite episodes at work. I'd guess (hope) that those are representative of the overall weekly subscriber bases.

I hope not because that would mean the outlook's pretty bad for holly would handbook and i4h compared to some of the worse podcasts that are higher up on the list

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Those numbers bum me out. I hope it doesn't include iTunes.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Besson posted:

Those numbers bum me out. I hope it doesn't include iTunes.

It doesn't, it's a very small slice, just good for looking at how they rank in listeners.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Interesting that How Did This Get Made is a cool 25% more popular than CBB.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

Interesting that How Did This Get Made is a cool 25% more popular than CBB.

Nah I think that was just a bad choice of episode, I forgot that it was a Thursday one. I think CBB usually gets 120,000-130,000 per episode on Soundcloud

E: But yeah it surprised me that HDTGM is pretty much on the same level as CBB. The other big surprise for me was I4H. I thought it was way more popular than that

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 31, 2013

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

I'm not surprised by HDTGM being that high up, it's a very easy show to get into for people who otherwise don't like the alt-comedy scene or even that much comedy at all. I know several guys who don't like comedy but loves movies and talk about bad movies. Case in point there's like a billion goon run movie podcast with the same premise.

Is the numbers for Hollywood a lot higher or about the same as RSS? I heard Shots Fired was being threatened and it seems to be outnumbering that one at least. Dong Lover should have been a huge get for them, and good timing with his instagram picture/drama thing.

Glad to see Cracked having huge numbers, I really really like their format. I guess I should have realized they'd get huge numbers from their fanbase, but when no-one was talking about it here...

The Berzerker posted:

Which of you dummies doesn't listen to the Fogelnest Files?!
I listened to the first couple of episodes when it was live with an audience because I love shows like that where they talk but still perform for a crowd (a big part of why I love Doug Loves Movies), but then it slowly became another studio show and I have enough of those to listen to :( I try to catch eps with guests I like from time to time.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Zsinjeh posted:

Is the numbers for Hollywood a lot higher or about the same as RSS? I heard Shots Fired was being threatened and it seems to be outnumbering that one at least. Dong Lover should have been a huge get for them, and good timing with his instagram picture/drama thing.

It's hard to tell without the iTunes numbers but each episode of RSS was getting 2,000-2,200 on Soundcloud by the time they stopped, so Hollywood Handbook is off to a good start I guess.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Amazing I4H today. Laughed doubly hard at the bullying part because I've been really tempted to buy the CBB poster for Christmas to furnish my new apartment but now with Matt Besser totally destroying me about it I don't know....and I also really like to drink milk :smith:

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

I really hope those Soundcloud numbers aren't representative of the iTunes ones because it hurts to see I4H so low down. I honestly thought it would've been just behind CBB and HDTGM. It's by far my favourite Earwolf podcast and by far the most consistently great.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Lugaloco posted:

I really hope those Soundcloud numbers aren't representative of the iTunes ones because it hurts to see I4H so low down. I honestly thought it would've been just behind CBB and HDTGM. It's by far my favourite Earwolf podcast and by far the most consistently great.

Best podcast in the universe.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
We're assuming, as long as the rest of the universe is like North America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Hayes just posted on the Earwolf boards that the next guest for Hollywood Handbook will be Paul (F.) Tompkiss. Tuesday can't come soon enough.