Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

baka kaba posted:

Well the reason I mentioned the wound G is that Tele has the vintage 3-barrel bridge, right?

That's correct, and that's a good point I had forgotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

CitrusFrog posted:

Help. I bought an 8-string guitar earlier this year but I am in dire need of motivation to play it. It sits there taunting me for my inadequacy. Mainly I'm in need of suggestions for songs to listen to/practice without having to tune the thing to some really strange open tuning such as used in Monuments - The Uncollective. I know the last 2 Deftones albums were done on 8s and the whole djent genre is based around 8s but there are so many ridiculously complex arrangements I wouldn't even know where to start. For the most part when I have noodled around on it I've almost exclusively used the thing as a replacement for my downtuned 6-string (tuned to B Standard or Drop A depending on mood) and a little bit for attempting stuff like Nevermore.

Agoraphobic Nosebleed?

That's about the only band I listen to that uses them. Transposing stuff to low F#/E/whatever is fun too. For a while I was jamming with a drummer tuned to drop D without a bassist, but he had to go back to prison. Total drummer move.

iostream.h posted:

I played Ernie Ball regular slinkies for around 20 years until I recently tried Dean Markley Blue Steel and have wondered what the hell I was thinking. I had started using the EB cobalts on my PRS CU24 to brighten it up a bit but now that I put the Burstbuckers in it I'll probably switch it to the Blue Steels as well.

I like Blue Steels a lot, but they seem to die a lot quicker on me than D'Addarios, even though pretty much everyone thinks D'Addarios die right out of the pack.:iiam:

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 29, 2013

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

comes along bort posted:

Agoraphobic Nosebleed?

That's about the only band I listen to that uses them. Transposing stuff to low F#/E/whatever is fun too. For a while I was jamming with a drummer tuned to drop D without a bassist, but he had to go back to prison. Total drummer move.

I'll give them a listen, thanks for the suggestion.

Transposing Judas Priest tracks down an octave or so has produced some interesting-sounding results in my general noodling when looking for inspiration, and one of the benefits of the 8-string's tuning has been playing Carcass and Crowbar without any downtuning, but that F# loves to just start resonating with the slightest provocation meaning I've had to adopt the wraparound thumb technique to mute it a lot of the time, which on an 8-string guitar even with my large hands can feel really unwieldy and distracting.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

If drop D on a six string is good enough for Page Hamilton, it's good enough for you, you whippersnappers!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Man I still want that brushed aluminum Page Hamilton ESP. It's so sick

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

jwh posted:

If drop D on a six string is good enough for Page Hamilton, it's good enough for you, you whippersnappers!

I won't be happy until I can make people poop themselves with a triple-octave-dropped twenty-four string tuned to "brown note"

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

So I borrowed Rocksmith from a friend. Man I suck at it. I thought I was alright at guitar but I'm rubbish at Rocksmith. I think I'm not really a visual learner because once I know the progression/melody/riff I can get it fine but translating those dots to notes? My brain doesn't like it.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

So I borrowed Rocksmith from a friend. Man I suck at it. I thought I was alright at guitar but I'm rubbish at Rocksmith. I think I'm not really a visual learner because once I know the progression/melody/riff I can get it fine but translating those dots to notes? My brain doesn't like it.

I hate the Guitar Hero style of notation too. The colour coding of the strings messes me up and all poo poo flying everywhere makes it hard for me to see the fret numbers.

I haven't played the new version, but the original's 'Riff Repeater' sucks. There's no metronome. It only plays whole sections of the song so if you're trying to decipher what's happening in the last bar of that section it's a huge pain. Everything is slow to navigate around.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

CitrusFrog posted:

Transposing Judas Priest tracks down an octave or so has produced some interesting-sounding results in my general noodling when looking for inspiration, and one of the benefits of the 8-string's tuning has been playing Carcass and Crowbar without any downtuning, but that F# loves to just start resonating with the slightest provocation meaning I've had to adopt the wraparound thumb technique to mute it a lot of the time, which on an 8-string guitar even with my large hands can feel really unwieldy and distracting.

I haven't had that problem. Usually my palm's resting on the bottom couple strings if I'm playing the higher ones, but it might also be because I use a bass string for the low F# since almost no regular string is long enough to fit the reverse headstock Agile uses. The B string barely makes it through and you don't quite get two wraps around the post. What gauge strings are you using?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

comes along bort posted:

I haven't had that problem. Usually my palm's resting on the bottom couple strings if I'm playing the higher ones, but it might also be because I use a bass string for the low F# since almost no regular string is long enough to fit the reverse headstock Agile uses. The B string barely makes it through and you don't quite get two wraps around the post. What gauge strings are you using?

The bog standard ones that came with the guitar. For some reason ESP in their infinite wisdom(?) tell me that the thickest string the tuning post on the H-308 will accept is .068. Rather weird seeing as most 8-string sets I see have a bottom end in the .80/.84 range. I need to get a new set of strings on it, ensuring the bottom end is fat enough to properly support the lower standard tuning without getting all flappy and bending too easily (which that under-gauged F# does all the time).

It amuses and boggles me that my M-10 is strung with heavier gauge steel than my H-308.

Apparently I'll need to find either tapered strings or have the tuning post bored out.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 29, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
You can also just unwind the bit of the string that goes through the post.

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.
A bit late for String chat, but if you are in the UK give Rotosound's a try. Much better than Ernie Balls and D'addarios. They also give you an extra high e string for when you inevitably gently caress up and snap one.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Sadsack posted:

A bit late for String chat, but if you are in the UK give Rotosound's a try. Much better than Ernie Balls and D'addarios. They also give you an extra high e string for when you inevitably gently caress up and snap one.

Not in Blighty any more but that would have saved me so much money a long time ago when I used to restring my guitar without owning a tuner/knowing anything about guitars.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Sadsack posted:

Also adding that they're available in Canada through L&M (though I guess that doesn't really matter if you have a seething burning hatred of them). I like them better in general than D'Addarios (always found them too bright), EB's (never really 'got' them outside of the Cobalts), and DR Pure Blues (they sound great, just not always with everything).

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Sadsack posted:

Been meaning to try those since I saw Guthrie Govan using them on a youtube, they're actually a lot easier to get here in Japan than DRs.

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

CitrusFrog posted:

Not in Blighty any more but that would have saved me so much money a long time ago when I used to restring my guitar without owning a tuner/knowing anything about guitars.

I used to have a Squier Mustang whose bridge ate B strings like a fat man eats Haribo. Having a spare high e string hanging around saved me from having to buy a complete new set so many times

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Sadsack posted:

I used to have a Squier Mustang whose bridge ate B strings like a fat man eats Haribo. Having a spare high e string hanging around saved me from having to buy a complete new set so many times

My Epiphone lived on a hearty diet of high E's and B's, but it was more to do with the fact that my guitar wasn't actually tuned properly and I had no idea what the hell I was doing short of "ok, next string should sound like the last one on its fifth fret." When I go home to visit my parents I'm going to attach a tuner to the old girl and see exactly what the gently caress each string was tuned to.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Torabi posted:

I bet this will sound stupid and all but I'm new to the whole guitar playing thing. Why are tabs seemingly "upside down?" I mean, it doesn't make sense to me that the first string on my guitar is at the bottom of tabs.

You're a beginner, right? So often you have to bend and look over your guitar at your fretboard to see where to put your fingers? What string is on the bottom? What string is on the bottom on a tab? What do you use the tab for? To see where to put your fingers. The tab matches what you see and have to do.

I don't know why Rocksmith does it wrong by default.

quote:

I hate the Guitar Hero style of notation too. The colour coding of the strings messes me up and all poo poo flying everywhere makes it hard for me to see the fret numbers.

I haven't played the new version, but the original's 'Riff Repeater' sucks.

Not coincidentally both of these were massively improved in 2014. Fret numbers are put next to notes and the riff repeater is way more flexible.

As for the notation, you get used to it pretty quickly. I've always used tabs before Rocksmith, but the scrolling tabs display that Bandfuse seems to use does not look user-friendlier to me to sight-read than what Rocksmith does.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

baka kaba posted:

Well the reason I mentioned the wound G is that Tele has the vintage 3-barrel bridge, right?

Just to be clear, the reasoning here is to get a wound G so intonation is easier since both strings on the saddle would be wound?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I just gave up after maybe 10 hours. Between tab, bass clef, treble clef there's plenty of notation I'd rather be investing my time in.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

havelock posted:

Just to be clear, the reasoning here is to get a wound G so intonation is easier since both strings on the saddle would be wound?

I think so. All I know is that most vintage bridges are designed to be used with wound G strings and you should get a compensated intonation bridge if you want to use any lighter gauge string (or you can get a bridge with individual saddles for almost any type of guitar but I kind of like to set-it-and-forget-it)

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
A while back I made a foot pedal setup to work with my Roland Cubes. I hate stringing three stereo cables across the floor to it, so I did some tinkering.

Now I have three stereo cables and 9V power going into one cable to run out to the pedal board with the ability to give juice to some Boss units.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

havelock posted:

This is just stuff I've heard, I was honestly hoping someone else would jump in with an explanation :thumbsup: and I was on my phone anyway, but here goes. Best have a look at this too:
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-technical/371084-wound-g-why-intonation-better.html

Basically yeah what you said, when you have a three-saddle bridge you're sharing each intonation adjustment between two strings, which is a bit of a compromise, so sharing between two wound strings is better than one wound and one not. Some saddles have compensated contact points too, like this

See how on each barrel one edge is further forward than the other? That's because generally as you go down from higher pitched strings to lower ones, the string needs to be longer, so the edge needs to be set further back. There's a difference between wound and unwound strings too, so the thinnest wound string's saddle is usually further forward than the thickest unwound one. That's why when you see individual saddles they're usually in that typical stepped shape.

That top picture is actually for a unwound G, because you can see the G saddle is further back than the D one on the same piece, so that's obviously the transition from unwound to wound. The bottom picture is the same, but you can see it easier - two groups of three. With a wound G you'd have this kind of pattern

Anyway bla bla check your saddle situation and just bear it in mind. A lot of people hate wound Gs (I've never even tried one :catstare:) so yeah

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

CitrusFrog posted:

The bog standard ones that came with the guitar. For some reason ESP in their infinite wisdom(?) tell me that the thickest string the tuning post on the H-308 will accept is .068. Rather weird seeing as most 8-string sets I see have a bottom end in the .80/.84 range. I need to get a new set of strings on it, ensuring the bottom end is fat enough to properly support the lower standard tuning without getting all flappy and bending too easily (which that under-gauged F# does all the time).

It amuses and boggles me that my M-10 is strung with heavier gauge steel than my H-308.

Apparently I'll need to find either tapered strings or have the tuning post bored out.

I was gonna say you should be able to string something thicker but I looked at the ESP tuner set I pulled from my Viper and turns out they are just a little larger than 1/16". Welp there's always aftermarket tuners. Wilkinsons are pretty cheap and the holes are big enough. And the H-308 is 25.5" scale too, right? That must be rubber band city.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Everyone should buy a Stewart-McDonald string action gauge. I received mine yesterday and had tears of joy running down my face when I found out it fit in my wallet. It's the best thing.

coolbian57
Sep 27, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pocket Billiards posted:

I just gave up after maybe 10 hours. Between tab, bass clef, treble clef there's plenty of notation I'd rather be investing my time in.

screw music notation and just learn by ear? Just play everything by ear, mayne.

also, 10 hours? Got 5 minutes a day for the next year? That's 30 more hours right there. It takes work, to get good at anything, but there's no pressure here.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Mastering Rockband video game notation is pretty far down my list of priorities.

Developing me ear is an ongoing thing. If I wanted to work on ear training with Rockband songs, I wouldn't be doing it in Rockband, navigating around in the riff repeater is pain in the arse.

For me personally, reading and transcribing to the stave really helped me with my ear training. I'm not talking pitch, but hearing a phrase or rhythm and being able to think about it in terms of subdivision of the beat.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

Coonskin_Cap posted:

Axemusic it is then :stonk:
I just put in an order at Axe, race you to the Post pictures of your next or newest instrument/gear purchase(s) thread.

PS: It'll beat my order from LA Music placed Oct 11 I bet. But I need to wait for a new strap from Couch before posting anyhow...

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Going to head over to the local music store before their store-wide 15% off sale and try out some Wah pedals.

Any suggestions for one with a decent range? I've only ever screwed around on a Dunlop CryBaby, so I don't know what is actually better/worse out there. Just some ideas of particular models that stood out to you guys.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I like the Dunlop 535Q these days but I used a Morley Bad Horsie for a long time and really dug it.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Sockington posted:

Going to head over to the local music store before their store-wide 15% off sale and try out some Wah pedals.

Any suggestions for one with a decent range? I've only ever screwed around on a Dunlop CryBaby, so I don't know what is actually better/worse out there. Just some ideas of particular models that stood out to you guys.

I use an AMT Japanese Girl when I use a separate wah instead of just rolling with my G5; I like how compact it is but I don't know that you'd be able to find it in a store.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm rolling with a Dunlop MC404 CAE. I've had a huge struggle trying to find a wah I like and this one is the only one I've liked using. It gives you a boost and the ability to quick switch between a snappy stratty sound and a deeper fat throaty one. It's not perfect (still have to get in there and adjust the trim pots) but it's true bypass, covers a good range of usable sounds, and feels sturdy. I'd replace it if I could find a wah with tb, just on/off controls, and a very usable even movement the entire distance.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Took this big panoramic picture last night of my favorite guitar shop and place to hang out, a place called Luthier's Coop in Easthampton, Massachusetts.

They have a lot of nice instruments, and they also built a bar inside, so you can stop by and chat and drink a beer.

It's really great.

http://imgur.com/2elnCgH

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

jwh posted:

They have a lot of nice instruments, and they also built a bar inside, so you can stop by and chat and drink a beer.

It's really great.

This is a genius idea. That place looks amazing.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm not much of a wah guy, but what I've heard of the Jerry Cantrell Crybaby is just so loving sick. The Vox wahs sound nice too.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

jwh posted:

Took this big panoramic picture last night of my favorite guitar shop and place to hang out, a place called Luthier's Coop in Easthampton, Massachusetts.

It's really great.

Aaand I just happen to be in Mass at the moment, awesome!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

jwh posted:

It's really great.

Never been a bar type but I could lose so many days there. So cool.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I assume the wall by the tables is all Epiphones and Squiers?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

iostream.h posted:

I like the Dunlop 535Q these days but I used a Morley Bad Horsie for a long time and really dug it.

I've owned a couple Morley switchless wahs. Why more companies don't make them is a mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I really like the idea behind morley's switchless pedals but I've never tried one because I don't use wahs or volume pedals. Give me a morley whammy then we'll talk.