Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

BrosephofArimathea posted:

But seriously, keep Negronis on your list. Refreshing, tasty and *just* the right amount of alcohol to make the afternoon stretch into the evening.

Negronis really are great and worth a bottle of Campari on their own. And then you can try a Boulevardier (1.5 oz. Bourbon, 1 oz. each Campari and sweet vermouth) which I may like even more. The Americano is an awesome drink that can be a stepping stone to Campari and soda as you fall in love with bitters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

KWC posted:

Is this by weight? And any specific mulling spice blend?

By volume. Specifically, I did 1/2 cup water:1/2 cup sugar:1/4 cup mulling spice.

I used Williams-Sonoma brand. That specific brand isn't required, but I think it's important to note that it is the dried chunk kind, not the powder kind. I think if all you had was the powder type you would want to use less.

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

Klauser posted:

By volume. Specifically, I did 1/2 cup water:1/2 cup sugar:1/4 cup mulling spice.

I used Williams-Sonoma brand. That specific brand isn't required, but I think it's important to note that it is the dried chunk kind, not the powder kind. I think if all you had was the powder type you would want to use less.

Thanks. I guess I had only seen powdered mulling spice mixes before and was thinking that would be one intense syrup If that was what you had used.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Made a negroni with tequila instead of gin, and a splash of Cointreau. Delicious.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

rxcowboy posted:

Made a negroni with tequila instead of gin, and a splash of Cointreau. Delicious.

I have a suggestion:

Smokin' Barrel - 1oz each tequila, scotch, sweet vermouth, bsp Benedictine, 2 dash Angostura bitters. Stir/coupe/nutmeg.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Came in from the cold, rainy, over-eating decadence of trick or treating and decided to make a drink. An orange hanging over the counter needed using. Time for an Old Vermont:

- 1 1/2 oz. Gin

- 1/2 oz maple syrup (Real syrup, grade B is fine but you may want to scale back a bit if you use it)

- 1/4 ounce orange juice

- 1/4 ounce lemon juice

- Dash of Angostura

Shake with plenty of ice, strain, sip while lighting jack-o-lanterns.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Kenning posted:

You're almost certainly getting just about the same amount of drunk per dollar. Bars are businesses that get money by selling booze at X% markup from wholesale. If their standard pour is 1.5 oz, then that's how much gin you'll get in a G&T. If you order a Long Island that costs the same amount of money as a G&T, you're just getting like a quarter ounce of each liquor, which will add up to around 1.5 oz. total. The only difference is that now you're the rear end in a top hat ordering a Long Island.

This does not match my experience. At most bars I go to, if you order a whiskey on the rocks, they will use the same glass as they would for a whiskey and cola. In both cases, they fill the glass with ice, and then need to add enough liquid to make the drink look sufficiently full to satisfy the customer. Of course, the cola drink will always contain more liquid, but the mixer allows the bartender to use less whiskey without anyone noticing, maybe not even the bartender. They don't use the exact same amount of ingredients every time, as you can guess from watching them sample a bit of a drink with a straw. And every time I see a Long Island made, the bartender pulls out all the clear poo poo from the well, and holds the four bottles upside-down over the glass at once. I have never seen a bartender hold the bottles there only 1/4 of the normal time. You're definitely getting more liquor in a Long Island at many places, especially since the bartender is incentivized by tips to pour more than his boss might like him to. He knows what you want when you order a Long Island.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Butch Cassidy posted:

Negronis really are great and worth a bottle of Campari on their own. And then you can try a Boulevardier (1.5 oz. Bourbon, 1 oz. each Campari and sweet vermouth) which I may like even more. The Americano is an awesome drink that can be a stepping stone to Campari and soda as you fall in love with bitters.

Just drank my first Boulevardier. Think I might have another :D

Number 2: Slightly less Campari and vermouth. Float a wee bit of Ardbeg 10 on top. Wow.

angor fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 2, 2013

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!
drat you cocktail thread. Campari this, Campari that, Negroni, Negroni, Negroni.

I couldn't resist, I decided it was time to give it a shot.

First things first, the classic... a Negroni.

1 oz Campari
1 oz Tanqueray
1 oz Sweet Vermouth

gently caress. :(

It's so gross. It's just.. gross. I mean, I can power through some terrible stuff, but this just hits me in that perfect way, that just doesn't work for me.

Ok, maybe I just need to go a little heavier on the booze to balance the bitterness.

Let's make another classic.. a Boulevardier. Went a little heavy on the whiskey, and a little light on the Campari to try and balance it a little more?

Still gross. This one actually went down the drain after trying a few sips. :(

I realized as I was drinking the Boulevardier, this hits me in the exact same way eating a stupid disgusting grapefruit does. I don't care how sweet and amazing people say they are, they taste like nothing but bitter nonsense to me.

Ah well, I'll make a Negroni for the wife when she get's home, maybe she'll like it.

Today wasn't a total waste though. I finally got around to buying a big rear end bottle of Carpano Antica. Hot drat. Now that's good stuff. Made a beautiful Manhattan to make up for the above hot mess.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Capt. Awesome posted:

I realized as I was drinking the Boulevardier, this hits me in the exact same way eating a stupid disgusting grapefruit does. I don't care how sweet and amazing people say they are, they taste like nothing but bitter nonsense to me.

Every grapefruit I have ever eaten tasted like pure bitterness, but I tried a classic Negroni and it has become one of my favorite drinks and I have gone through almost an entire bottle of Campari in a worringly short amount of time. Not sure what is going on there.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Capt. Awesome posted:

drat you cocktail thread. Campari this, Campari that, Negroni, Negroni, Negroni.

gently caress. :(

It's so gross. It's just.. gross. I mean, I can power through some terrible stuff, but this just hits me in that perfect way, that just doesn't work for me.

It took me a few attempts to get used to and love Campari, but once you do you can't get enough of it. Much like hoppy IPAs and such.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Capt. Awesome posted:

Still gross. This one actually went down the drain after trying a few sips. :(

Coming from a world where good booze is terribly difficult to find, and quite expensive, I hate you. But more so (and just barely, I might add), I pity you. I hope you find a good balance of Campari that you enjoy. It really is amazing. If you're having trouble combatting the bitterness, cut it with stronger flavours until you can appreciate the bitter note that the Campari adds, then build up from there.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
So I bought way too much fresh cilantro and I need to get rid of it. Can it go in any drink? I'm thinking something with gin or tequila.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

rxcowboy posted:

So I bought way too much fresh cilantro and I need to get rid of it. Can it go in any drink? I'm thinking something with gin or tequila.

Maybe muddle a few leaves in the bottom of a stinger in place of absinthe? Or replace some of the mint in a mojito or julep with some cilantro.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 2, 2013

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

rxcowboy posted:

Turista Smash

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

rxcowboy posted:

Muddle it with a slice or two of jalapeño and then a bit of lime here, some sugar there, and then a little tequila, and you've got what my restaurant calls a Cesar. It's good as gently caress too.

Capt. Awesome posted:

Today wasn't a total waste though. I finally got around to buying a big rear end bottle of Carpano Antica. Hot drat. Now that's good stuff. Made a beautiful Manhattan to make up for the above hot mess.

Carpano is cheating. Anything with Carpano is amazing.

As for Campari, you should make a Jungle Bird. If you juice your own pineapple it will be off the hook. If you get it in a can it will only be fantastic. If you don't like Campari in this there's no hope for you.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Kenning posted:

Muddle it with a slice or two of jalapeño and then a bit of lime here, some sugar there, and then a little tequila, and you've got what my restaurant calls a Cesar. It's good as gently caress too.

Carpano is cheating. Anything with Carpano is amazing.

As for Campari, you should make a Jungle Bird. If you juice your own pineapple it will be off the hook. If you get it in a can it will only be fantastic. If you don't like Campari in this there's no hope for you.

1: I just got some fresh jalapenos so I will do this on sunday. I also used the cilantro+tequila+lime in a marinade for some fish, and it was loving amazing. If anyone wants the recipe I'll be more than happy to share it.

2: I loving love Campari, even on it's own with club soda. I sort of pity anyone that doesn't like it, because god drat is it good in a cocktail.

3: Unrelated, but I don't think the Derby get's anywhere near enough love here, and it really should

1oz Bourbon (Rye works just as well if you like a little more spice like I do)
3/4 oz lime juice
1/2 oz Sweet Vermouth
1/2 oz Cointreau or Grand Mariner
Shake/Strain/Guzzle

Goes down smooth as poo poo, a great fall cocktail.

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!

rxcowboy posted:

3: Unrelated, but I don't think the Derby get's anywhere near enough love here, and it really should

1oz Bourbon (Rye works just as well if you like a little more spice like I do)
3/4 oz lime juice
1/2 oz Sweet Vermouth
1/2 oz Cointreau or Grand Mariner
Shake/Strain/Guzzle

Goes down smooth as poo poo, a great fall cocktail.

This is hands down my favorite cocktail. I love it with Rye, but thats because I love Rye. If it wasn't 9am, I'd go make one right now.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Capt. Awesome posted:

This is hands down my favorite cocktail. I love it with Rye, but thats because I love Rye. If it wasn't 9am, I'd go make one right now.

I'm going to try this with rye when I get home because I too love rye. What's your rye of choice for a good Derby? I've being using Rittenhouse in all my rye cocktails lately but I'm getting bored of it. I'm thinking of trying Russell Reserve or Knob Creek next.

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!

rxcowboy posted:

I'm going to try this with rye when I get home because I too love rye. What's your rye of choice for a good Derby? I've being using Rittenhouse in all my rye cocktails lately but I'm getting bored of it. I'm thinking of trying Russell Reserve or Knob Creek next.

My go to is Bulleit. It helps that Trader Joe's always has it for like $20/bottle. If I'm out of it, and happen to be at a liquor store that actually carries Rittenhouse for a normal price, I'll pick it up as a change of pace, as I like it just as much, if not a bit more than Bulleit. I really should branch out and try different brands, but man, when they're all like 10-15/bottle more than those two, which I already love.. I really have a hard time justifying it to my cheap rear end.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

rxcowboy posted:

What's your rye of choice

I agree with the Bulleit rec. The next bottle you get after that should be Michters.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Sazerac 6 year. It's a beautiful whiskey that I recommend all the time.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I too threw caution to the wind and bought a bottle of Gin (Beefeater), Campari and Sweet Vermouth and made both an Americano and Negroni.

Possibly two of the worst drinks I've ever had. So, so bad. It wasn't just me either, I tried like four friends and they all thought it was foul. How do you people drink this?!

I then proceeded to buy a familiar spirit (CC) and made an Old Fashioned. Which is brilliant. Very tasty, would drink again.

I think I have learnt that Campari and Vermouth both suck. A lot.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

syntaxfunction posted:

I too threw caution to the wind and bought a bottle of Gin (Beefeater), Campari and Sweet Vermouth and made both an Americano and Negroni.

Possibly two of the worst drinks I've ever had. So, so bad. It wasn't just me either, I tried like four friends and they all thought it was foul. How do you people drink this?!

I then proceeded to buy a familiar spirit (CC) and made an Old Fashioned. Which is brilliant. Very tasty, would drink again.

Please tell me that CC doesn't stand for Canadian Club, because if it does, I think I found your problem.

Also did you seriously just say Vermouth sucked, but earlier in the thread said you loved Martini's?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Aww yeah. FYGM, Malacca bottle 66993 of 100000 and Japan-only Chivas Mizunara edition

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

syntaxfunction posted:

I think you don't like the Negroni and Americano because of the bitter Campari, and not the vermouth. Try a sweet/perfect manhattan and see if you like that. That'll rule out the vermouth.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

rxcowboy posted:

Please tell me that CC doesn't stand for Canadian Club, because if it does, I think I found your problem.

Also did you seriously just say Vermouth sucked, but earlier in the thread said you loved Martini's?

Yes, Canadian Club. No, it's not the best spirit by a long shot but it was one of the better choices at the local store and I didn't want to pay for something better if I'm using it in Old Fashioneds when I don't even know if I'd like them. Also, I'd drink it straight but I was buying to share and everyone else drinks it with copious amounts of Coke, so no, I didn't feel like buying something nice for it to be used by that.

I thought my quote earlier was that I said Gimlets were better Gin cocktails than Martinis? Not that Martinis are bad, but the Vermouth:Spirit ratio is vastly different in a Martini that the Vermouth is just a slight tang really. But the amounts used in the Negroni I was not a fan. I guess I could have reduced it but that would have left me with Campari and Gin, not exactly tasty. But yeah, I guess saying Vermouth sucks is an exaggeration as I've had it in other things that weren't so terrible. I don't know, it's very confusing to me. All I know is that they weren't nice drinks.

angor posted:

I think you don't like the Negroni and Americano because of the bitter Campari, and not the vermouth. Try a sweet/perfect manhattan and see if you like that. That'll rule out the vermouth.

Perhaps. How long does Vermouth stay good for if opened? I left it at my friend's place and probably won't be there for another week. Actually, scratch that, I won't be there for a while, so I guess a new bottle is to be bought? They're only like $12 for a litre (Who the gently caress drinks a litre of this stuff?) so whatever. I will try a Manhattan. I'm relying on you guys to not lead me wrong, cause you all know way more than I do. I'm just following my nose (And tongue).

Sorry for words.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Buy 375 ml. bottles of vermouth, even if you have to get Martini rather than fancier vermouth, and keep them in the fridge once open. They will still last a good many drinks and your wallet won't hate you for constantly wasting half bottles like you do now. I generally try to use mine within two or three weeks. And dry vermouth is great for deglazing pans when it is a little past its prime for cocktails.

Do you like black coffee/tea and stupidly dark chocolate? Campari is very bitter and it helps to ease into it if your palate is not already set for bitter. Try a barspoon in a gin and tonic to start getting a feel for the flavor and work up from there. Pick up some Fernet Branca to mix with Coke like the Argentinians to help, as well and you may appreciate Fernet's mint-forward flavor. And remember that Campari is heavily sweetened to make it palatable at all and has strong flavor to begin with. A strong gin with Campari and already potent sweet vermouth can be a cloying herbal/sweet/bitter bomb to an un-prepared palate.

No shame in genuinely not liking Campari, but try using it in dashes at first and let your own taste buds guide you from there.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 4, 2013

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

E: Quote is not edit. My wife got into a bottle of moscato last night and I shook a few ounces with an ounce of home-made mango infused light rum and 3/4 of an ounce of lime juice. It came out pretty decent.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 3, 2013

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Ahhhh I think I solved the problem. If you are paying 12 bucks for a liter you either live on heaven or you are buying poo poo vermouth. I live in a state with really cheap booze, and my Noilly Pratt was nine bucks, Martini and Rossi is about 12. You absolutely can not buy cheap vermouth because it will ruin anything it touches.

And I'm a little shocked at all the recs for Bulleit. The reviews I've read have all been good but they say its a lot softer than Rittenhouse. Should I alter my mixing proportions when using it?

In other news I generally buy five or six bottles of booze a month. This month I am challenging myself to buy six new bottles I've never tried before since I get into a comfort zone. Here's what I'm thinking: Bulleit rye, Hayman Gin, Knob Creek Bourbon, Don Julio Reposado tequila, and what else? I need a good fall rum, and maybe a bottle of Lairds apple brandy?

Edit: Never buy Cc. Ever. You want cheap but good? My go to is Evan Williams Black Label. 18 dollars for 1.75 liters. Good for mixing, a little simple for sipping but still perfectly drinkable neat.

rxcowboy fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 3, 2013

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
My experience is that Bulleit bourbon is delicious but the rye is pretty uninspired and lacks a spicy punch. Then again, I have easy access to Rittenhouse 100 and never have to put up with anything less.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah Bulleit rye is just okay.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

marmot25 posted:

My experience is that Bulleit bourbon is delicious but the rye is pretty uninspired and lacks a spicy punch. Then again, I have easy access to Rittenhouse 100 and never have to put up with anything less.

I have Rittenhouse but it's the only rye I've ever had. And considering its 20dollars and some other ryes go up to 100, I have a hard time believing it's the best. Especially with High West, Russel Reserve and Whistle Pig in the game.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

rxcowboy posted:

I have Rittenhouse but it's the only rye I've ever had. And considering its 20dollars and some other ryes go up to 100, I have a hard time believing it's the best. Especially with High West, Russel Reserve and Whistle Pig in the game.

I'm just saying that Rittenhouse is the minimum that I put up with, that it's very good anyway, and that you shouldn't bother with Bulleit. I only have experience with ryes up to the price of Rittenhouse and usually prefer to spend my money branching out to try other, different liqueurs and bitters. I don't mean to dissuade anyone from going on the quest for the best rye money can buy, of course.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Long reply ahoy!

Butch Cassidy posted:

Buy 375 ml. bottles of vermouth, even if you have to get Martini or Stock rather than fancier vermouth, and keep them in the fridge once open. They will still last a good many drinks and your wallet won't hate you for constantly wasting half bottles like you do now. I generally try to use mine within two or three weeks. And dry vermouth is great for deglazing pans when it is a little past its prime for cocktails.
The smallest I can find is 750mL unfortunately. Nowhere around here stocks Vermouth and if they do it tends to be 1L bottles.

Butch Cassidy posted:

Do you like black coffee/tea and stupidly dark chocolate? Campari is very bitter and it helps to ease into it if your palate is not already set for bitter. Try a barspoon in a gin and tonic to start getting a feel for the flavor and work up from there. Pick up some Fernet Branca to mix with Coke like the Argentinians to help, as well and you may appreciate Fernet's mint-forward flavor. And remember that Campari is heavily sweetened to make it palatable at all and has strong flavor to begin with. A strong gin with Campari and already potent sweet vermouth can be a cloying herbal/sweet/bitter bomb to an un-prepared palate.

No shame in genuinely not liking Campari, but try using it in dashes at first and let your own taste buds guide you from there.
I actually drink my tea and coffee black and gorge myself on super dark chocolate so bitter things aren't a problem for me. I also love orange, Peychaud's and Angostura bitters so it being bitters isn't the problem. I think it may be the proportions. Any drink suggestions for using tiny amounts of Campari?

rxcowboy posted:

Ahhhh I think I solved the problem. If you are paying 12 bucks for a liter you either live on heaven or you are buying poo poo vermouth. I live in a state with really cheap booze, and my Noilly Pratt was nine bucks, Martini and Rossi is about 12. You absolutely can not buy cheap vermouth because it will ruin anything it touches.
Is Martini and Cinzano no good? I can get a hold of Dry Noilly Prat but not the sweet one seemingly. Is it worth $10 more to get NP? If it is I'll buy it because gently caress it, I might as well judge it at it's best.

rxcowboy posted:

Edit: Never buy Cc. Ever. You want cheap but good? My go to is Evan Williams Black Label. 18 dollars for 1.75 liters. Good for mixing, a little simple for sipping but still perfectly drinkable neat.
Evan William's is only available about a half hour to 45 minutes away, and it's AU$34 for 700mL. So, the same as CC. I might have to pick some up when I'm in the area. You guys were right about Mount Gay, so why the hell not.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Evan williams will beat cc in quite literally everything ever. If it's the same price, you have no reason not to buy it.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Don Draper drinks Canadian Club, there's your reason

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

zmcnulty posted:

Don Draper drinks Canadian Club, there's your reason

If drinking cc got me anywhere near Christina Hendricks irl I would drink it. But it doesn't so.....

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

If you can find Templeton rye it's very nice. Rittenhouse is my gold standard for cocktails with a perfect quality to price ratio. When it's out of season, I usually go with Old Overholt. I've tried Whistlepig at a tasting and its awesome, but at that price I usually just buy Lagavulin or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

Long reply ahoy!
I actually drink my tea and coffee black and gorge myself on super dark chocolate so bitter things aren't a problem for me. I also love orange, Peychaud's and Angostura bitters so it being bitters isn't the problem. I think it may be the proportions. Any drink suggestions for using tiny amounts of Campari?

Is Martini and Cinzano no good? I can get a hold of Dry Noilly Prat but not the sweet one seemingly. Is it worth $10 more to get NP? If it is I'll buy it because gently caress it, I might as well judge it at it's best.

Campari tastes like furniture polish. It's great, but it may take some getting used to. Try a Jasmine, it's a common Campari starter drink.

If you are actually interested in getting the best vermouth, you need to try Dolin and Vya. I personally hold that Dolin Rouge is better than Vya Sweet, and Vya Extra Dry is better than Dolin Blanc, but those are really the gold standard vermouths out there. I'm very proud of Vya, as it's made in my hometown.

750 ml of those is usually like $22+, whereas half bottles are somewhere around $12, if you can find them. Honestly, it's worth the investment though, since those are seriously sippin'-quality vermouths.