Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

jBrereton posted:

Warriors of the Five Elements, because they won't use up all of your gems. Of the summonables, Celestial Soldiers. Really good unit. But you don't get all that many of any of the summoned ones just because of the cost.

...oh. I didn't think to look at normally recruitable units, and I kinda overlooked the warriors of the five elements because I was too busy churning out endless archers and footmen. I'll give them a shot. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Has anyone experienced routing from just commander damage before? I was in a test game just brainlessly expanding (commander mixed in with infantry in a large square) and the enemy fired some arrows which hit the commander for 10 damage out of 11 hp and the army immediately routed and he died of a disease.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

if all your commanders rout your army will rout, commanders make a morale check if they are damaged so if you only have one commander leading a bunch of dudes it's a bad idea to put him in harm's way unless he's real tough

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Flavahbeast posted:

if all your commanders rout your army will rout, commanders make a morale check if they are damaged so if you only have one commander leading a bunch of dudes it's a bad idea to put him in harm's way unless he's real tough

Thanks. I didn't know commanders made their own checks, I had just assumed the 75% rule was all I had to worry about in a situation like that.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
If you had another commander, even without any leadership, they would not have routed immediately. But the guys would have still be stuck in that province afterwards without anyone to lead them out.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
loving capital forts, worst Dom 4 feature. Glad I'm only playing an MA game. LA, where nearly everything is strength 10/11 against 1100 defence forts? Eugh.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

jBrereton posted:

loving capital forts, worst Dom 4 feature. Glad I'm only playing an MA game. LA, where nearly everything is strength 10/11 against 1100 defence forts? Eugh.

Pillage it to uselessness and move on until it's the last thing left.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Could you give a commander 2 brass arms and have him use four shields?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ataxerxes posted:

Could you give a commander 2 brass arms and have him use four shields?

Give a four armed commander a brass arm and have him use five

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Pillage it to uselessness and move on until it's the last thing left.
You can't. The two commands normal commanders have in a fort province are Maintain Siege and Move.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

jBrereton posted:

You can't. The two commands normal commanders have in a fort province are Maintain Siege and Move.

I am bad at videogames :downs:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I want to do a Crone Disciple with F9, 4 slots of copper arms, and 3 bows of war.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
So has anybody found any neat quality of life mods yet? I know the game's only been out for a bit but Dominions modders are an industrious bunch.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The Debug mod is the biggie.

I made also made a fort thing which made everyone use EA Fortresses, but that's maybe missing the point, and in any case has taken off about as well as the Challenger shuttle.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
There's really just not enough data or experimentation with the new rules for balance mods to be useful yet. Dom4 is radically different from Dom3 in terms of the extended Dom3 midgame and that games will end much more quickly because of thrones.

About the only thing I'd love to see is some way to make national commanders more powerful and worth using. I'd like for it to be a good idea to recruit a strong cap-only or slow to recruit melee (no magic paths) commander and thug him out with gear for nations other than giants. It'd make armies feel a bit more like Warhammer Fantasy, where the right commander with the right gear in the right place can make a huge difference, but can't dominate the entire field on his own. I think a very simple way to do this would be to buff the hp on some of the cap-only national commanders - maybe 20-40hp would let them take a few hits and allow them to be put on the front lines. You'd end up with incentives to take more than one commander in an army, put more people on the front lines, and to use lots of really cheap gear.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

jBrereton posted:

I made also made a fort thing which made everyone use EA Fortresses, but that's maybe missing the point, and in any case has taken off about as well as the Challenger shuttle.

I like the tougher forts, personally. Though it would be nice if the additional upgrades were actually worth it, in terms of extracting more income from your provinces. I wonder if those are moddable. . .

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Can Hydras be Enlarged or does it only work on size 5 and lower?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Asehujiko posted:

Can Hydras be Enlarged or does it only work on size 5 and lower?

That's actually a really good question, can enlarge bump you up to size 7?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The enlarge item only works on size 4 or less and I wouldn't be surprised if the spell was the same way.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

amuayse posted:

I want to do a Crone Disciple with F9, 4 slots of copper arms, and 3 bows of war.
Remember to name her Katyusha.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Dirk the Average posted:

There's really just not enough data or experimentation with the new rules for balance mods to be useful yet. Dom4 is radically different from Dom3 in terms of the extended Dom3 midgame and that games will end much more quickly because of thrones.

About the only thing I'd love to see is some way to make national commanders more powerful and worth using. I'd like for it to be a good idea to recruit a strong cap-only or slow to recruit melee (no magic paths) commander and thug him out with gear for nations other than giants. It'd make armies feel a bit more like Warhammer Fantasy, where the right commander with the right gear in the right place can make a huge difference, but can't dominate the entire field on his own. I think a very simple way to do this would be to buff the hp on some of the cap-only national commanders - maybe 20-40hp would let them take a few hits and allow them to be put on the front lines. You'd end up with incentives to take more than one commander in an army, put more people on the front lines, and to use lots of really cheap gear.

I just got the game because I'm working on a spider mod I've been putting on hold until this came out (Really, where are all the giant spiders and spider gods?), but with the nature of the extended mid game a good idea might be to give a lot of nations a 20hp level one priest with decent combat skills. This could open up a meta game for nations that have no reason to bless. You'd have to ask yourself "Do I want my mid game to be thug bless heavy with limited mage support, or go full on chaff plus battle spells?" Of course nations with already good blessable troops would miss out on those thugs because it would be an obvious buff for them. Jaguar warriors I'm looking at you.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I figured out what the problem is with hydras: Their limited numbers mean that their commanders keep getting killed every 3rd province and my army routs and then dumps a single hydra in every province where there is nobody to herd them back to the capital.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Well GoR a hydra then!

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Just for curiosity's sake: A quickened crone with flaming arrows and three bows of war.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Can someone confirm the paths/level for soul contracts for me?

I swear they were 1F6B and construction 2. Made a test game with Abysia and it worked fine, made another game with the same paths on my pretender and don't appear to be able to forge them.

My game crashed, wondering if something is corrupt or if I'm just being an idiot.

Edit: I'm an idiot, it's 1F7B! Note to self: the Dominions 3 wiki might not be entirely accurate in regards to Dominions 4, you loving doofus.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 1, 2013

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well, I thought I had that battle in hand, then lost half my army in exchange for 19 units. Turns out I have no idea what to do about elephants! I'm Ermor, so I don't have archers to fall back on. Should I just set everyone to fire at large monsters and let their army come to me?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Which Ermor, and what's your research?

This thread is quite old, but lots of it probably still applies. You should have access to frighten/terror, mind burn, paralyse and stellar cascades right?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Oh hey here's something I've wanted to ask! So nation-specific items are now A Thing, but I haven't noticed any in the single player games I've played so far. Does anybody have examples of cool new unique items?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Pomp posted:

Well, I thought I had that battle in hand, then lost half my army in exchange for 19 units. Turns out I have no idea what to do about elephants! I'm Ermor, so I don't have archers to fall back on. Should I just set everyone to fire at large monsters and let their army come to me?

what age of Ermor? If you're MA/LA I wouldn't bother trying to use fire orders, just park your army in the rear of your side of the field and let the elephants charge into your blob to get slayed without priest or infantry support. If you're EA I recommend buying a bunch of gladiators: vs 15+ elephants you have to expect a lot of friendly casualties and gladiators are perfect for the job

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
EA, hesitant to talk about research where other players in the game can see it :ninja:

That's super helpful though, thanks!

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

How are u posted:

Oh hey here's something I've wanted to ask! So nation-specific items are now A Thing, but I haven't noticed any in the single player games I've played so far. Does anybody have examples of cool new unique items?

All I can remember is the hat that makes the Ashen Empire better at summoning lictors from dom3.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That Laurel still exists.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
There blood sac boosting dagger thing is now Mictlan only.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

amuayse posted:

Just for curiosity's sake: A quickened crone with flaming arrows and three bows of war.

This rules and should be in the OP. The only thing i'd want more would be a monolith with two bronze arms and a Trident of the Champion.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

amuayse posted:

Start a disciple game and give your pretender an f9d9a4-8 bless for maximum murder

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

The enlarge item only works on size 4 or less and I wouldn't be surprised if the spell was the same way.

No ive seen the spell used on larger things to get them up to size 5 or 6 though i doubt anything goes up to 7.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
I applied to the game service thing as thewindupman, it told me to post here

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kenlon posted:

I like the tougher forts, personally. Though it would be nice if the additional upgrades were actually worth it, in terms of extracting more income from your provinces. I wonder if those are moddable. . .
They aren't.

As it currently stands, the only things you can mod about forts is their cost on a nation-by-nation basis, what 'era' each faction has, and how much of a resource bonus they give you.

You can create sites with certain fort types and upgrades, but you can't override a capital fort, outside of hand-crafting a map.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 1, 2013

Cheneybeast
Dec 19, 2012

I have a Q about resources to forts.

A multiplayer game I'm in just started turn one. My capital is adjacent to only three land provinces, and only ONE of those is accessible - the other two are blocked by a river (they have the blue fade lines instead of the solid yellow). Can my capital draw the resources from the across-the-river provinces once I conquer them, or am I pretty much hosed? Asphodel is less resource dependent than a lot of nations, but having only a single province adjacent to my capital seems like its going to suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Tulip posted:

Dom4 meta comes down to C'tis vs. Mictlan.

Well they were able to kill like 17 out of the 30 W9B9 jags. Only took 120 slingers.

• Locked thread