Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bottles and cans
Oct 21, 2010
So I've just got my first job offer for a position outside of the service industry. For two years I've been working in a hospital's kitchen, delivering trays to patients. Five years before that, I was short-order, cooking cheesesteaks at a family-run joint.

If I take this job, I'll be working a tech support line at my university, for a business that does Networking around the Maine area. I'll be taking a ~3 dollar pay decrease and losing medical benefits. As far as cons go, that's it. In exchange, I'll be gaining experience on a career path that more closely resembles my actual long-term plans and getting a schedule that'll let me breathe while I attend college.

The hospital job hasn't challenged me in more than a year, and the corporate way it's run drives me nuts.

Still can't help but wonder if it's a big mistake, though.

bottles and cans fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Are you making GBS threads me? Of course it's not a mistake.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

dino. posted:

Are you making GBS threads me? Of course it's not a mistake.

This. If you're ever strapped for cash, get a part time job as a server at some lovely chain where they literally expect nothing from you and you'll make more per hour than you do currently anyway.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

bottles and cans posted:

:getout:

$3 an hour is six grand a year. If you can't get medical coverage for yourself for six grand a year, something is horribly wrong. Take it and run like the wind.

reserve
Jul 27, 2009

You are part of a long tradition
of needless self-sacrifice so that
dickbags can eat overpriced foie gras.

bottles and cans posted:

So I've just got my first job offer for a position outside of the service industry. For two years I've been working in a hospital's kitchen, delivering trays to patients. Five years before that, I was short-order, cooking cheesesteaks at a family-run joint.

If I take this job, I'll be working a tech support line at my university, for a business that does Networking around the Maine area. I'll be taking a ~3 dollar pay decrease and losing medical benefits. As far as cons go, that's it. In exchange, I'll be gaining experience on a career path that more closely resembles my actual long-term plans and getting a schedule that'll let me breathe while I attend college.

The hospital job hasn't challenged me in more than a year, and the corporate way it's run drives me nuts.

How old are you?

bottles and cans
Oct 21, 2010

reserve posted:

How old are you?

Twenty-three.

Thanks dino. :3:

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

:getout:

$3 an hour is six grand a year. If you can't get medical coverage for yourself for six grand a year, something is horribly wrong. Take it and run like the wind.

Its -6000

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Ah, I see the edit now. That's a harder one.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Black August posted:

It appears you need to either be a very savvy and determined human, or a very gross and loving stupid one, to run a restaurant.

My last boss strutted into the kitchen during an increasingly rare dinner rush since he ran the place into the loving dirt, coked up to the eyeballs, and started grilling us about how service was proceeding (its loving busy, kindly leave and let us make you some loving money, TIA) while we answered him he apparently got jittery and awkward and reached for the prep bowl containing three pieces of chicken destined for a milanesa, tossing them in the fry-dredge in an awkward up-and-down motion instead of a shoveling motion but whatever it seems to make him happy. After the twenty second or so interrogation he dumps the whole loving thing raw chicken included back into the pan containing the rest of the dredge. Luckily, his inept tossing of the chicken meant there was still a lot of juice to get wicked up by the rest of the dredge creating little cat litter clumps.

I am still not entirely sure what he thought we were doing, tossing the chicken in flour and breadcrumbs before frying it. He saw us doing this a hundred times and somehow it just... never penetrated his mind.

In summary: agreed, friendo

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
On a related note, Papi Tino's Authentic Mexican Cantina LLC is now open for service only two days a week (friday and saturday) because on considered analysis the owner saw most of the money was made on friday and saturday and--are you ready for this brainwave?!--realized he could lower overhead by only being open those two days! Now he can "concentrate on those two days," and not spend every day "worrying if we have enough tomatoes."

What a... smart loving guy.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The food truck's done for the season now, and we somehow posted great profits trying to serve authentic Mexican food in rural PA. It's a boost, but now I have to find an off-season job. I'm thinking of either hitting up a temp agency, or just taking a season off with some old inheritance money I kept stashed away.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Plan Z posted:

The food truck's done for the season now, and we somehow posted great profits trying to serve authentic Mexican food in rural PA. It's a boost, but now I have to find an off-season job. I'm thinking of either hitting up a temp agency, or just taking a season off with some old inheritance money I kept stashed away.

I'd recommend trying to find something. Better to have that old inheritance money when you need it, than spend it for no good reason.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Honestly, invest the money, find a job you don't hate for the off season but won't miss you terribly when you have to go. Boom.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
Look into some of the bigger catering companies in the area. I made a ton of money when I 'took a couple months off' this summer by just being another set of chef hands at catering events. Saw a ton of awesome food and was able to work with some pretty awesome people, too.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

https://online.missouri.edu/degreeprograms/hospitality-management/index.aspx

Good idea, great idea or horrible idea? I already have three years worth of undergrad credits from MU, so it's not like they won't take my transfer credits, and the might take some from my AAS, too. But out of state tuition is stupidly expensive. On the upside, I wouldn't be hosed if we had to move. I hate hate hate the idea of taking out more loans, but I really need to finish my Bachelors if I ever want to get a good paying job.

Also, that last gig knocked a screw loose in my brain and the idea of "just" going to school and working part time as a fine dining server/bartender/pizza delivery girl/whatever sounds so nice...

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Any chance of getting a more general management degree instead? It might be more useful to have something that's applicable outside the industry for the inevitable day when you just can't face another kitchen.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Any chance of getting a more general management degree instead? It might be more useful to have something that's applicable outside the industry for the inevitable day when you just can't face another kitchen.

Gonna echo this opinion. BBA in Management can go pretty much anywhere. Ever. You've already hospitality experience on your resume, so even the middle management bullshit that a business management degree has will be applicable, and it opens up other 'white collar' management positions for exactly what Liquid Communism said.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Warmachine posted:

Gonna echo this opinion. BBA in Management can go pretty much anywhere. Ever. You've already hospitality experience on your resume, so even the middle management bullshit that a business management degree has will be applicable, and it opens up other 'white collar' management positions for exactly what Liquid Communism said.

How much do you think one's major matters? I did some more research and I can attend a Virginia state school for way less money than the program I posted- the downside being that I would be hosed if we had to move before I finished. If I do go to school here, the easiest thing would be to get a Bachelor of Music Performance. The nearest school to me doesn't have a large core curriculum (Mizzou did) so going for a management major would add several semesters. Also, there is the small matter of re-learning how to sing after 8 years and remembering music theory.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm talking out of my rear end but I think a Bachelor of Music Performance will be about as useful as my BA in History.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
I feel like any degree with the word 'business' in the title will give you better options than music performance, but I could just be jaded towards the arts and their useless degrees.

Lt Greatsocks
Nov 4, 2009
I've been working at a cool lunch and breakfast place (with a bitchin bakery as well) since march or some other month. Started bussing, now I also host, wash dishes, sell ice cream, and do a tiny bit of prep work. It's the most popular place in a little rear end town on the east coast of Florida. The owners are cool, the money is good, I get along really well with everyone, and weekends are always packed.

About a month ago we talked about server training and nothing came of it but today they told me that one of the cooks is leaving soon and they want me to take his place. This would come with a raise, followed by another raise in three months, and according to one of the owners and 25 more hours a week (currently working 17-25). The station I'd be taking over is eggs (eggs Benedict is our specialty kinda), salads and wraps, and flat grill which entails home fries, hash browns and other breakfasty sides. I know I need to learn the menu as much as possible, but is there anything else I can do to prepare for line cook training? I'm mad nervous about being on the line since season is coming up real soon.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Wroughtirony posted:

How much do you think one's major matters? I did some more research and I can attend a Virginia state school for way less money than the program I posted- the downside being that I would be hosed if we had to move before I finished. If I do go to school here, the easiest thing would be to get a Bachelor of Music Performance. The nearest school to me doesn't have a large core curriculum (Mizzou did) so going for a management major would add several semesters. Also, there is the small matter of re-learning how to sing after 8 years and remembering music theory.

State school credits will generally transfer, as will state school tuition and acceptance to programs if you are a military spouse.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Roxy Rouge posted:

State school credits will generally transfer, as will state school tuition and acceptance to programs if you are a military spouse.

Yeah, that's the thing. I don't think I explained it very well. I'm not just starting from the beginning choosing a major.

I went to school for three years as a music performance major at the University of Missouri. As such, I have about 70 credits from there- mostly music and core curriculum. All of these will transfer to the Virginia state school I plan to attend.

Problem: This school has very little core cirriculum. Most of your courses in any degree program are "in your major." So, I could finish my music degree in maybe three semesters, or start over in business/management and it would take at least 6- and I can't be sure I'll be living here past the summer of '15.

Obviously a business degree is better than a music degree or my line of work. However, I also have an AAS in culinary arts and 10 years industry experience. This degree is so that I don't get screwed when upper management jobs require a Bachelors. (I've seen this happen more than once to very well-qualified people.) What I'm trying to decide is if it's worth it to spend twice as much time and money to change one word on my diploma. I'm leaning towards no, but there's a lot that remains to be seen.

Also, the military spouse tuition assistance program only applies to "portable careers" which they define as Associates or certificate programs. They'd pay for me to go to school to be a nail technician but not a restaurant manager. Fuckers.

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god
Don't go to college. You'll be surrounded by bratty children and hate yourself every semester. Instead, leave your husband and move to Paris. Get a cute, somewhat dykey haircut, makeout with shaggy haired part-time poets and trust fund thirty-somethings, get a job at a really nice coffee shop that slings macchiatos and plays 60s bebop all day.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr
Well well, so I quit my line job at one restaurant, then got promoted to kitchen manager at my other kitchen. Then a bunch of cooks were fired, quit, or were injured, so I was gradually taking on more work and more hours. All while getting paid less than the line cook position!

I finally got sick of the unending bullshit a year after my first job in a kitchen, so I quit the kitchen manager position too and I am moving away from Nola and I am going to school!

Isaac Asimov fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 4, 2013

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

bottles and cans posted:

Don't think twice.

I turned 30, managing a cocktail bar / thai restaurant working the worst hours for a non vampire.

Now (four years later) i'm in IT security in government, great co-workers and i work 10-6 then leave work.

I drink less, I sleep (not more) but better hours and my life is so much better.

I miss the lifestyle until I walk into one of places my friends work in/run/own and the nostalgia dies pretty quickly.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'm jealous, that's what I'd -like- to be doing.

Remember a while back when I said I finally escaped 3rd shift? Not so much. It turned out that it's apparently hard to find someone competent who'll work these hours reliably. Who'd have guessed, right?

A week and a half back in, and I remember -exactly- why I wanted off this shift. I spend all my not-working time punch drunk from the sleep schedule, and half of my working time wishing a bus would hit me so I can get out of coming in for a sixth day this week. :smith:

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 4, 2013

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The Midniter posted:

I'd recommend trying to find something. Better to have that old inheritance money when you need it, than spend it for no good reason.

I know I shouldn't. I've just been working in kitchens continually since I was 16 to help pay for some of dad's medical bills. The only vacation or time I've spent off for more than 3 days in a row was when I was unemployed for two weeks following a detox-induced walkout of one job. I'm only talking like a short trip using like, some of a $5,000 inheritance in a Money Market.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
So yeah, Charlie Trotter died.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah. Great man.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Sucks.

Somehow unsurprised that a chef keeled over with a heart attack in his 50's, though.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr

Liquid Communism posted:

A week and a half back in, and I remember -exactly- why I wanted off this shift. I spend all my not-working time punch drunk from the sleep schedule, and half of my working time wishing a bus would hit me so I can get out of coming in for a sixth day this week. :smith:
This is why I'm getting out. I was very :smith: and my chefs knew how lovely I was doing and why, but we were down 3 cooks, so they convinced me to stay, take on more responsibility, longer days...

I had a gradual burnout over a month, fueled by an existential/quarter-life crisis. I'm already feeling like a new man though, free from my kitchen cage.

I found out the other day that now that I'm gone, my chefs hired 3 college girls to be trained as cooks! gently caress! And that my friend said chef had told him he could get a raise once I left the kitchen(I had been waiting the last month for a raise that chef told me to expect).
I certainly learned a lot from this whole ordeal.

Anyway, I'm washing my hands of this! Soon I'll be hiking around Colorado, going to school, and living as stress-free as possible.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

That sounds like a hell of a lot more fun than this. I should probably start working on an exit strategy, five years of living just above the poverty line is likely enough, and I really don't want it badly enough to move to someplace bigger on cooking wages.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
If you're going to work in this industry and aren't going to manage in the Beard/Michelin circuit, work for a luxury hotel, or get out ASAP.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

If you're going to work in this industry and aren't going to manage in the Beard/Michelin circuit, work for a luxury hotel, or get out ASAP.

When I worked in the industry, my hands down favorite and more rewarding job was at a small, private country club. I watched a 19 year old server get yelled at to the point of tears by the head chef because he managed to gently caress up an order of tuna twice :allears:

Nitram2.0
Dec 29, 2012
I work at an upscale wood-fired pizza restaurant, and last night an order came in for two gluten free crusts, with the third pie having a nut allergy note. What an unlucky group of people. :rolleyes:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Nitram2.0 posted:

I work at an upscale wood-fired pizza restaurant, and last night an order came in for two gluten free crusts, with the third pie having a nut allergy note. What an unlucky group of people. :rolleyes:

Maybe this industry isn't for you if relatively normal orders make your eyes do that.

Nitram2.0
Dec 29, 2012

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Maybe this industry isn't for you if relatively normal orders make your eyes do that.

I take nut allergy notes very seriously but I just thought it was funny combined with everyone else requesting gluten free.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Is gluten-free restaurant pizza a thing now? Do you have a separate oven, or just fire away and hope? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitram2.0
Dec 29, 2012

Splizwarf posted:

Is gluten-free restaurant pizza a thing now? Do you have a separate oven, or just fire away and hope? :psyduck:

We buy in frozen par-baked gluten free crusts specially made just for this restaurant, but by no means do we sell them as "gluten free" since there is flour everywhere. They go in the same oven. I think they taste like nothing and have no texture but the gluten intolerant and fad diet trend hopping customers love them.

:Edit:

The last pizza place I worked had gluten free pizza crusts too. They fared better in the conveyor style pizza oven but still sucked to work with since they warped while cooking, stuck to the pan, or arrived shattered in the box.

Nitram2.0 fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 8, 2013

• Locked thread