Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
It's late, and I've still got some some highlights and major weathering to do, but here she be:

Better pics on my next day off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

enri posted:

Did anyone specifically use a pink paint?! I used a red wash over a bone basecoat then had a few highlights with the same bone colour later on.

I do have some pinks, just didn't fancy using them :D

I use Carnal Pink from p3.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I use Carnal Pink from p3.

I used Reaper's Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Paint, to paint pink on a Reaper's Bones miniature for the breast cancer awareness jurnal. Fitting, no?

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

krushgroove posted:

I'll give this to ya - I don't like mice in real life but these are just too cute.

Why hasn't anyone made kitty adventurers?

Thanks! ...And yeah, why is that? (Dark Sword might have a cat-venturer in their anthropomorphic series, but that line is mostly various random critters like "Mole Alchemist.")

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Tadhg posted:

Who's got two thumbs, doesn't own any pink paint, and has a pot of white that dried up because he's to busy to paint regularly and shake that poo poo up?

I'll make this work, somehow...

I did a red wash over silver to give my theme model pink armour as well as her pink cloak. It looks pretty good.

E: On a personal note, can we go back a couple of years to a simpler time, when the oath thread wasn't crammed with people with amazing talent? (Not making GBS threads on people from the old threads, but people are really stepping up their game this year.)

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 31, 2013

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

enri posted:

Did anyone specifically use a pink paint?! I used a red wash over a bone basecoat then had a few highlights with the same bone colour later on.

I used the Vallejo Model Color pink (the exact name escapes me right now; it might be just "Pink"); it's medium- to light-pink, but very pigment-rich and does good coverage. On my Jurnal model, I was able to get decent highlights & shadows on it using PPP Ryn Flesh and Reaper Red Ink.

Summary: VMC Pink may have limited uses, but it's worth picking up, especially if you have, say, a Chaos Helbrute sitting on my desk around waiting to be painted.

Edit: Okay, just got home; it's VMC 70958 Pink. Works really well with GW's Warlock Purple (or whatever they're calling it now).

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 1, 2013

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
I used Emperor's Children pink, to paint some...Emperor's Children.

And a big worm.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Oath Complete:

I'll try and take some better pictures when I get home, but it might be after the cutoff time. Should I edit them into this post, or make a new one?

EDIT: Some better pictures added!

Themed Group, the Viktorias box set.

The Viktorias themselves. Decided to paint them up like Vergil and Dante from Devil May Cry.

This Viktoria is also the completion of my conversion for this month.

Taelor is my Jurnal for Breast Cancer Awareness month.

Here are a pair of Objective Markers

And here is my completed Infinity conversion.

Signal fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 1, 2013

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Signal posted:

Oath Complete:

I'll try and take some better pictures when I get home, but it might be after the cutoff time. Should I edit them into this post, or make a new one?

If you just want credit you're good to go, if you're going for judge's points (and want to get best lighting, background, etc.) make a new post and ADD your new photo to the TOP of your original complete post. That makes sure I grab that first so it's the first of your pictures that the judges see, and I'll ignore your original image. That goes for everyone, if you want to make the deadline but don't have time to get a kick-rear end picture. I will check if the original picture is really sloppy and the 'good' picture is perfectly cleaned up though!

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

enri posted:

I used a bottle of Reaper's Entrail Pink that they included in with one of my orders, washing it red on my bard's hair and purple-ish on the mutant.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TheBlobThing posted:

Jurnal & double the trouble for her pink hair, and the leopard print on her loincloth (freehand).

It's fine to do it again of course, but you already earned a point for Double the Fun back in May, so I can't give you another one.

Signal posted:

Oath Complete:

Is this a themed group? Also did you do the jurnal?

krushgroove posted:

If you just want credit you're good to go, if you're going for judge's points (and want to get best lighting, background, etc.) make a new post and ADD your new photo to the TOP of your original complete post. That makes sure I grab that first so it's the first of your pictures that the judges see, and I'll ignore your original image. That goes for everyone, if you want to make the deadline but don't have time to get a kick-rear end picture. I will check if the original picture is really sloppy and the 'good' picture is perfectly cleaned up though!

It's actually OK with me if you edit new photos into your original Oath Complete post, if that's all you're doing. In the spreadsheet, I link to your Oath Complete post, and I assume Krushgroove uses my link to find the photos, so that works. The one reason to post a new post is if you're pointing out something that wasn't there before, that I need to put into the spreadsheet. For example, Signal, if you're adding a photo that shows one of your models has some pink, you need to let me know so I can give you 2 points for the Jurnal this month; you can do that by posting a new Oath Complete post, OR by editing your old post and also posting to say "hey I edited my oath complete post to show the Jurnal, please gimme 2 points sir" and then I'll check and do that.

The only no-no is editing your Oath Complete post after the midnight deadline, unless I or Krushgroove explicitly tells you to do so.

nathonicus
May 2, 2013
I must declare OATH FAILED for October.

I just got lazy these last few days. (Also, the drat Odalisques are some of the most complicated models to paint I've ever tried... overlapping armor plates, small patches of exposed flesh... yeesh)

Anyhow, I plan on saving Da Wales next month.... can I still get the bonus point for pink if I save the wales? I actually have finished the model that has pink on, but no pics.

I feel so...empty....

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

enri posted:

I used Reaper's HD Entrail Pink for my worm's belly. I pretty much have to use paints from the pot for pink and purple (though I can mix with white, as I did, to lighten them with confidence), since I'm colorblind as poo poo.

e: Well, either that or ask my fiancee. Which I did when mid-way through painting the (grey) rocks, I ran into the living room to ask if I'd just painted them all pink (I hadn't).

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 31, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

nathonicus posted:

I just got lazy these last few days. (Also, the drat Odalisques are some of the most complicated models to paint I've ever tried... overlapping armor plates, small patches of exposed flesh... yeesh)

Anyhow, I plan on saving Da Wales next month.... can I still get the bonus point for pink if I save the wales? I actually have finished the model that has pink on, but no pics.

I feel so...empty....

Savin' da Whales does not earn you points. What it does do is:
1. You get an entry into a contest to win something
2. You "count as" finishing the oath of the month you saved, for the purpose of qualifying for the Consistency Bonuses. (The consistency bonuses are extra points everyone gets at the end of the contest, for finishing lots of oaths; 1 point each for finishing three, six, nine, and twelve oaths in the year.)

You also can't earn partial points for partially completing an oath. Such is the danger of Oathing Too Much!

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
:hist101:Oath Complete!:hist101:

Quick and dirty again this month: Paymaster and bodyguard, the start of a much bigger unit for my Dogs of War army.

Jurnal gimmick this month is the pink buckler on one of the hauler's backs.

Also, never mix a color using white gesso. That stuff is going back into the cabinet of shame.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Oath Complete!

First up, the Ryushi ships from Spartan Games. These guys are well-detailed and a drybusher's dream. Not since BFG has there been so much stuff on a starship model.

This next shot is rotated and at a high angle, so you can see the interior hangar deck behind the plastic "forcefield".

Next up, photography hell...white Starfleet ships! There's a load of washing and highlighting on those saucers that the camera completely fails to pick up, alas. I have decals coming to give these bad boys their names and registration numbers. You may have to take my word for it that the saucer radials are inked in.

I'm claiming Themed Group for the Star Trek ships. Is it kosher to claim boxart for the Constitutions if the decals for the markings haven't arrived yet?

Either way, the Gettysburg-class was a horror and a half to paint so here's some fluff to claim the one-time background point.

Captain Al-Hadir expected to find complete incompetence or rampant dockyard corruption when Starbase 7 sent him to resolve USS Retaliator's runaway construction delays.

What he actually found was far worse - there had been no exaggeration in the reports at all, and the fabled
wundercruiser was proving a nightmare. The new phasers wouldn't focus their beams properly, the old phasers couldn't draw any power without rupturing their conduits, the shiny next generation warp engines threatened to melt through their shiny new nacelles...except the saucer warp unit, which threatened to melt either down through the primary hull or up through the impulse reactors, depending on their mood and the phase of the local moon. A total lack of commonality of parts with other Constitutions made repairs more art than science.

After months of backbreaking work it was a miracle the ship even moved clear of the drydock - and when she cleared the yards and went to warp for the first time without mishap, the ship's (Vulcan) chief engineer wordlessly handed his deputy a 50-credit note to acknowlege his lost bet.

He had to take it back later that afternoon when the saucer warp unit fell out of sync and dumped the ship into a wormhole, eventually tossing the
Retaliator back out six light-years off course and 2 hours before she left.

The
Retaliator has precisely one combat engagement to her short record, when she used her tempremental engines to chase down a fleeing Orion fast raider and very melodramatically powered up all her torpedo tubes whilst holding Warp 7. This was enough to scare the pirate into overloading his own engines and exploding.

Captain Al-Hadir was very thankful. He is still not sure what would have happened if he had actually given the order to fire.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Oath complete!

These guys have pink on their shoulder pads as part of the journal. Also claiming themed.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

:frogsiren: Oath Complete :frogsiren:

Claiming Detektuv's Jurnal and themed group for my Dreadball team of 4x Guards and 6x Jacks, the Ashworld Thunderorx - named and painted for the most dangerous creature on their world, a pink airborne hunting invertebrate known as the Thunder Squid. Or possibly for my local team.

My showy glowy Yme-Loc army rolls on with a squadron of three War Walkers

gently caress Infinity minis forever what kind of masochist paints these things voluntarily :wtc: I tried to box art for both of them but fully understand if it isn't paid, I think I'll sit those on a shelf as a reminder to not buy any more until I'm a million times better at painting

Convergence of Cyriss Cipher heavy Vector

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Germ posted:

I used Reaper's Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Paint, to paint pink on a Reaper's Bones miniature for the breast cancer awareness jurnal. Fitting, no?

I used a probably 20-year-old pot of Tentacle Pink.

Android
Apr 20, 2012

Beep Boop Zorp
Oath complete!

Jurnal is the pink squig-mass in one of the katapults.

Plenty of room for the actual embarked models.

Avenger_Mullah
Dec 28, 2008
Varnish still not dry, but oath complete

The small ones are 5-8 mm tall. There are 12 so they should count as a group.

Oh, and jurnal is every god drat miniature.

Avenger_Mullah fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 31, 2013

FoulWeatherFriend
Apr 10, 2006

Huh, okay...
Oath Complete

Jurnal is the pink ribbon tattoo on the ogryn.

The wash isn't dry on the big guy yet but whatever. I really gotta learn to paint my stuff earlier in the month.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

oath failed

I succumbed to apathy. Maybe next month.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
:siren: Oath complete! :siren:

This is also my Diorama entry

Jurnal entry

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
^^^ fantastic! I love the pink-ribbon-and-a-bird-on-his-head guy, I can almost hear his terrible singing just from the pics :)

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I used the Vallejo Model Color pink (the exact name escapes me right now; it might be just "Pink"); it's medium- to light-pink, but very pigment-rich and does good coverage. On my Jurnal model, I was able to get decent highlights & shadows on it using PPP Ryn Flesh and Reaper Red Ink.

Summary: VMC Pink may have limited uses, but it's worth picking up, especially if you have, say, a Chaos Helbrute sitting on my desk around waiting to be painted.

Vallejo GC Squid Pink was my weapon of choice for this month. I probably didn't need to buy a bottle just for three little mushrooms, but I'm sure I'll find a use for the rest of it someday.
Come to think of it, I'm starting a new marine army and haven't decided on a colour scheme for it yet...

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Oath Failed.

I have only really got as far as the basecoat colours on these 7 models. I was probably ambitious to try for 7 infinity models in 10 days. I have not painted them in such a large batch before and my customary attention to detail when doing these makes it too slow. More than that, I really felt that my painting skills have gotten very rusty (haven't painted since december). Must try harder. I will not oath anything for next month as I am away for work most of the time. But I will try and finish these 7 models over the weekend.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Oath Completed!

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/WvVfwhF.jpg :nws: (click to see poorly painted pewter boobies!)

Time really got away from me this month. I had lots of gutters to clean, cats to put down, and overtime to work. But I wasn't going to fail another oath and pretty much did all three of these figures in the last week. I chose the two women because last month I did a platoon of GIs and needed to do something more feminine. However, aside from practicing some painting techniques I really had no use for either of them. I don't play Malifaux (yet) and when am I going to have a topless French maid on the gaming table? So I really lacked motivation to do them. Also I did them both twice because my first attempts looked like five pounds of dogshit in a three-pound bag. Overall, I'm a lot happier the second time around, even if I did forget to paint the eyes on the maid. Which probably isn't bad because, holy poo poo, look at those eyes on my GI captain. :barf:

Anyways, they're done and I enjoyed doing them. I did learn a bit from working on them so that's good. I'm wondering what glass you awesome photographers are using for your minis? I have a D200 with a Tamron 18-50mm (I think) and couldn't get a decent shot. I have a lightbox on order. I don't need to get better glass, do I? :ohdear:

Edit: removed the original photos since they were awful, and I'd feel like a cad for not living up to Leperflesh's expectations of me. Better photos were taken and uploaded instead.

Oxford Comma fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 1, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Your biggest issue is that the figures are backlit. You want them lit from the front in order to get a decent shot. Your D200 in macro mode should be able to take amazing shots with any reasonable lens, and the focus seems fine in the second and third photos, so I'm pretty sure your only issue is lighting.

Also: put your name in your photo = another point!

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

nathonicus posted:

I feel so...empty....

I hear you brother :smith:

Declaring OATH FAILED, and I'll also try to save the whales tomorrow :unsmith:

Germ
May 7, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

I used a probably 20-year-old pot of Tentacle Pink.

Man, I love those old pot designs. Paint would last FOREVER.

@Avenger_Mullah - Wicked! What are those models? I love the cartoony style. Well done!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
:siren:OATH COMPLETE:siren:

Themed Group:

Infinity Entry:

Fly your flag:

Jurnal Entry:

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!

Leperflesh posted:

Your biggest issue is that the figures are backlit. You want them lit from the front in order to get a decent shot. Your D200 in macro mode should be able to take amazing shots with any reasonable lens, and the focus seems fine in the second and third photos, so I'm pretty sure your only issue is lighting.

Also: put your name in your photo = another point!

Actually the D200 doesn't have a Macro Mode but my wife's 5100 does. Anyways, you're right about the backlighting. I'm going to blame all the cold medication I'm on today for that. New photos will be uploaded soon! :)

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Oxford Comma posted:

Oath Completed!

Time really got away from me this month. I had lots of gutters to clean, cats to put down, and overtime to work. But I wasn't going to fail another oath and pretty much did all three of these figures in the last week. I chose the two women because last month I did a platoon of GIs and needed to do something more feminine. However, aside from practicing some painting techniques I really had no use for either of them. I don't play Malifaux (yet) and when am I going to have a topless French maid on the gaming table? So I really lacked motivation to do them. Also I did them both twice because my first attempts looked like five pounds of dogshit in a three-pound bag. Overall, I'm a lot happier the second time around, even if I did forget to paint the eyes on the maid.

Anyways, they're done and I enjoyed doing them. I did learn a bit from working on them so that's good. I'm wondering what glass you awesome photographers are using for your minis? I have a D200 with a Tamron 18-50mm (I think) and couldn't get a decent shot. I have a lightbox on order. I don't need to get better glass, do I? :ohdear:

Canon EF-28-135MM
Sometimes the nifty fifty.

ForkBanger
Jul 19, 2007

:siren:Oath Complete:siren:

I oathed a themed group of 10 High Elf Seaguard-

I was feeling frisky, so I painted 15.

Why all the gems?
The Jurnal is their [st]pink[/st] peach unit sashes. Nobody wears pink to a war, not even elves.

I'd also oathed the [st]Viktorias[/st] Viktoria of Ashes and Viktoria of Blood-

They're Jurnal'd too, with pink highlights on their awful Skrillex haircuts.

I have hosed up the photographing, as usual. The greens on the Seaguard aren't that flat.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

:siren:OATH COMPLETE:siren:

Theme Group

Jurnal

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
:siren:OATH COMPLETE, 10 skinks and a pink horror:siren:

Themed group and pink for journal!

Namenlos
Oct 20, 2010
:radcat: Oath Complete :radcat:

Does this qualify for Fly Your Flag? Also I'm sure there was something about a themed group when you had 5 models+ of the same squad/army/etc but I can't find mention of it in the OP.
Also, Detektuvs Jurnal is the pink hair on one of the sisters.

Been messing around with artsy coloured back-lighting. The picture on the banner was bigger, but I made Celestine a bit too big. Never mind! I'm getting a bit bored of encaustic tiles, too....

Namenlos fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 1, 2013

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
OATH COMPLETE

Jurnal is the pink sword carrying jawa. I'm pretty sure the three crisis suits also qualify for themed group.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Leperflesh, I put up new photos in my OATH COMPLETED post above. I hope that was the proper way to do things. Also, keep an eye on what I will be oathing tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Oath Complete

For the detectuv's jurnal there's the pink daemonfire on Erebus's staff, and pink hoses all over Kor Phaeron.

Wish I'd spent a little more time on them, but we have some new additions to the family who are making their presence felt.

Introducing Gideon Ravenor

And Alizabeth Bequin Socks

Galaspar fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 1, 2013

• Locked thread