Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

At the time, it didn't really stick out because when someone says "Eren's not there!" the logical follow-up should be "then where is he?" and he was second in the class and built like an ox to boot. I just wanted to believe. :smith:

If you're subscribed to Crunchyroll's simulpub thing, go read the AoT chapters. Ymir says some really strange things in chapter 46, page 29: "That ape, or the 'Beast Titan' is the cause of this recent mess. It caused Titans to appear inside the walls. I guess its aim is to test how we react? These two are trying to go to where it is. Because if you do, you'll be able to go back to your hometown, right?" Emphasis mine.

Also, it's Berwick. :v: And she confirms that she ate him five years ago ("No? I don't remember but...that would have been five years ago"), so the titan trio are probably the age they appear.

At the end of chapter 50, it says "Continued in the December issue," which I don't recall in the online scanlations but it's totally possible that they forgot to translate it. If so, I guess that means we're not getting anything in November?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
So I had a thought. What if there are other walled cities/countries similar to the one we have seen so far (encompassed by Wall Maria). Anyone seen the recent film Oblivion?

If they were distant enough apart that the survey corps couldn't reach them on an expedition, there could be hundreds of other walled city-states.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

flowinprose posted:

So I had a thought. What if there are other walled cities/countries similar to the one we have seen so far (encompassed by Wall Maria). Anyone seen the recent film Oblivion?

If they were distant enough apart that the survey corps couldn't reach them on an expedition, there could be hundreds of other walled city-states.

That idea gives me serious Nightland vibes. Actually a lot of this franchise gives me Nightland vibes since they are both about the last of humanity surviving inside of a huge walled fortress-compound while the world outside has become too hostile for survival.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Personally I love the idea that the rest of the world is fine, but they've just written off Germany because they're surrounded by giant monsters.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

flowinprose posted:

I originally thought that one twist would be the titans were sent by a larger group of disparate society that needed the resources the walls were surrounding, as I thought the "here are the available resource-rich areas inside the walls" infographic was rather Chekov's gun-ish. An Oblivion-like idea that there were a ton of city-states out there seemed like an equally interesting idea but when someone put up that graphic of how big the "city-state" actually is, that seems less likely on any large/interesting scale. Would be less surprised if there was just 1 other one out there, though.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

change my name posted:

Personally I love the idea that the rest of the world is fine, but they've just written off Germany because they're surrounded by giant monsters.

And there's a fourth wall keeping them all in.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

change my name posted:

Wow. Yeah so do I. That would be an outstanding twist, I think.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 1, 2013

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

At the very least, there's gotta be a "this is the year 2500" twist which explains why the tech inside the 3DMG and other equipment is a "black box" full of secrets.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

change my name posted:

I find it really funny/interesting, but it wouldn't actually work well because it would in practice just end up like the ending of an M Night Shyamalan movie and there wouldn't be many places for the plot to go after the big reveal.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
You wouldn't think a world with as much terror and death as Titan's would celebrate Halloween, but you'd be wrong. For some reason, I love the fact Hanji is dressed as a witch.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Sylphid posted:

You wouldn't think a world with as much terror and death as Titan's would celebrate Halloween, but you'd be wrong. For some reason, I love the fact Hanji is dressed as a witch.

Now I can only interpret Bert kicking down the gates as trick-or-treating. If you pick "trick" the Titans eat you, and if you pick "treat" the Titans eat you.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

DaveKap posted:

At the very least, there's gotta be a "this is the year 2500" twist which explains why the tech inside the 3DMG and other equipment is a "black box" full of secrets.

3DMG are a black box because the author has no idea how they could possibly work. I can't work out if they're powered by gas pressure, or if they actively combust or react the gas to generate power. And just how do you aim the hooks, they seem to swivel around in the direction which you press the sword handle's trigger, but how does the belt even know which direction to aim in?

They're as realistic as titans but really, it doesn't matter.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Autumncomet posted:

At the end of chapter 50, it says "Continued in the December issue," which I don't recall in the online scanlations but it's totally possible that they forgot to translate it. If so, I guess that means we're not getting anything in November?

Nope, December issue comes out November 9th. Just like most magazines in the US, the issue comes out the month before it's dated (I assume this is to keep it on the shelves as long as possible, but don't actually know).

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Sylphid posted:

What is this? Peppermint? You disgust me...

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Phobophilia posted:

And just how do you aim the hooks, they seem to swivel around in the direction which you press the sword handle's trigger, but how does the belt even know which direction to aim in?

It's all in the hips. More than strength, more than skill, it is :slick: that makes a true soldier of the Scouting Legion.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Mary Annette posted:

It's all in the hips. More than strength, more than skill, it is :slick: that makes a true soldier of the Scouting Legion.

Everyone in the Scouting Legion knows how to twerk it like it ain't no thang.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

So when the SnK wikia says that Bert was first in his class in using the 3DMG... :stonk:

Kusaru posted:

Nope, December issue comes out November 9th. Just like most magazines in the US, the issue comes out the month before it's dated (I assume this is to keep it on the shelves as long as possible, but don't actually know).
Awesome.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Autumncomet posted:

So when the SnK wikia says that Bert was first in his class in using the 3DMG... :stonk:

Oh god, I'm not gonna do it I'm not gonna do it. I'm not gonna link it. Fuuckkk :gonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KllXOCYv_U

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Autumncomet posted:

Awesome.

So this is canon?
http://youtu.be/_UESD9fV5O8?t=45s

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Repostin dis

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I'm wondering exactly what role Reiner and Berthodt will play after failing to capture Eren and revealing their Titan identities to the Scouting Legion. What more can they do if they aren't killed off? Kick down another gate of Wall Rose or something?

I'd be interested if they returned to wherever they came from, defeated.

change my name posted:

I'm not sure about this one, though, or else why would have Mikasa's Asian ancestors have fled all the way to be holed up in a few walls in Germany?

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Nov 1, 2013

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I'm wondering exactly what role Reiner and Berthodt will play after failing to capture Eren and revealing their Titan identities to the Scouting Legion. What more can they do if they aren't killed off? Kick down another gate of Wall Rose or something?

I'd be interested if they returned to wherever they came from, defeated.

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if "We can't go home without completing the mission" is a figurative or literal statement. They might attack the Utopia district next, thinking Annie is there.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Doflamingo posted:

And there's a fourth wall keeping them all in.

The fourth wall has been breached by the Meta-Titan.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I'm not sure about this one, though, or else why would have Mikasa's Asian ancestors have fled all the way to be holed up in a few walls in Germany?

Maybe they just happened to be living in Germany? Germany is not just full of white folks, it is an international country nowadays!

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Maybe they just happened to be living in Germany? Germany is not just full of white folks, it is an international country nowadays!

Yeah. A lot of stuff has been 'covered up by the military' already, it's not inconceivable for them to bully Mikasa's family into saying "we fled here from Asia" instead of "we happened to be here when poo poo went down."

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
If this takes place in our world, then I'm not even sure they are even in Europe, though they may have started there. Remember there is an ocean between the walled territory and the place they came from (Edit: since we where talking about government coverups, I suppose this part could be lie under that theory).

Thinking about it, off the top of my head here's about all we know regarding the geography of the territory:

-A number of mountainous regions throughout.
-A river flowing southward from near the center.
-Highest elevation is in the center.
-Giant trees located in at-least the southern and eastern regions.
-Large patches of difficult to farm land (referred to as "the wastelands").
-A number of lakes, possibly with the largest near the center (I think it's mentioned in one of the info dump things about 3DMG, the gas is mined from there).
-Seems to have a temperate climate for the most part.
-Coastline is at-least 25 Km from wall Maria (That's the distance to the horizon from on top of the walls)
-The walls are not perfect circles.
-The average radius of the outermost wall is 250Km.

Is there anywhere on the planet you could put this thing and get all of that to fit?

The short story from episode 25 makes me wonder if the entire region encompassed by walls being artificial is a possibility, since it implies that the walls are not just around it, but under it too. Of course we no idea right now if anything in the setting has (or had) the resources required to go about pulling something like that off.

Pensive fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 1, 2013

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Pensive posted:

If this takes place in our world, then I'm not even sure they are even in Europe, though they may have started there. Remember there is an ocean between the walled territory and the place they came from (Edit: since we where talking about government coverups, I suppose this part could be lie under that theory).

Thinking about it, off the top of my head here's about all we know regarding the geography of the territory:

-A number of mountainous regions throughout.
-A river flowing southward from near the center.
-Highest elevation is in the center.
-Giant trees located in at-least the southern and eastern regions.
-Large patches of difficult to farm land (referred to as "the wastelands").
-A number of lakes, possibly with the largest near the center (I think it's mentioned in one of the info dump things about 3DMG, the gas is mined from there).
-Seems to have a temperate climate for the most part.
-Coastline is at-least 25 Km from wall Maria (That's the distance to the horizon from on top of the walls)
-The walls are not perfect circles.
-The average radius of the outermost wall is 250Km.

Is there anywhere on the planet you could put this thing and get all of that to fit?

The short story from episode 25 makes me wonder if the entire region encompassed by walls being artificial is a possibility, since it implies that the walls are not just around it, but under it too. Of course we no idea right now if anything in the setting has (or had) the resources required to go about pulling something like that off.

It could easily fit within Europe, provided the right terrain is there. There are also parts of America that fit the other descriptions and could possibly fit the area requirement.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Oh god, I'm not gonna do it I'm not gonna do it. I'm not gonna link it. Fuuckkk :gonk:

Oh my god. I'm hyperventilating. Why was this made?

On the topic of other safe human settlements possibly existing, I honestly hope not. It sounds cool at first, but it really cheapens the whole "fighting for humanity's survival" aspect of the story.

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 15, 2013

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Saagonsa posted:

Oh my god. I'm hyperventilating. Why was this made?

On the topic of other safe human settlements possibly existing, I honestly hope not. It sounds cool at first, but it really cheapens the whole "fighting for humanity's survival" aspect of the story.

Yeah but it possibly fits into the "big secret" the Wallists are keeping from everyone. There's a good chance it would completely destroy their society if people found out that there were other human civilizations out there.

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012
I've figured out the only dramatically satisfying place for surviving humans to live outside of the walls without cheapening the threat of Titans:

Kame House.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

flowinprose posted:

Yeah but it possibly fits into the "big secret" the Wallists are keeping from everyone. There's a good chance it would completely destroy their society if people found out that there were other human civilizations out there.

I don't know, "Closed off society that is kept in the dark by elders/nobles due to fear of collapse when introduced to the outside world" seems a little bit cliche. Not to mention they're facing problems a whole lot bigger than the destruction of their society if things continue.

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 15, 2013

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Abitha Denton posted:

I've figured out the only dramatically satisfying place for surviving humans to live outside of the walls without cheapening the threat of Titans:

Kame House.

I have to say, titans is a way cooler direction for the Red Ribbon Army to go instead of loving Cell and those other horrible not-androids.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
The series ends with all of the titans being sent to Namek, while Eren is horrified at all of the animal-headed people outside the walls.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
More posing "titans"

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
I just caught up in the manga after 3 months of not reading it. I completely didn't realize Eren took control of a titan. I thought he spawned his own titan while remaining outside of it to distract the other titans so he and Mikasa could escape.

Heh, oops.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I'm not quite willing to buy that Eren took control of those titans just yet. I have no proof though, just suspicion.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
It's not like he shot lightning out of his face while dramatically screaming commands at the titans or anything... wait...

Seriously, what other possible explanation could you have for the events of the last chapter? Chuckles was secretly incredibly delicious and the titans just noticed it at the exact right moment?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Cuchulain posted:

It's not like he shot lightning out of his face while dramatically screaming commands at the titans or anything... wait...

Seriously, what other possible explanation could you have for the events of the last chapter? Chuckles was secretly incredibly delicious and the titans just noticed it at the exact right moment?

The Titans just saw a way to be incredible dicks and rip Eren's mom that got stuck in Chuckle's teeth out and eat her in front of him a second time.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Cuchulain posted:

Go back and look. Lightning doesn't shoot out of his face, he doesn't command the titans to do anything, and the only vaguely supernatural thing going on at the time was his fists smoking. He yells aaaa real loud and punches a titan and then the other titans jump that one. I would not be surprised at all if it was someone else controlling the titans and that was just clever timing. Which I hope is what happened since giving Eren even more power is boring.

All that said, it's like, 95% chance it's Eren. I am just paranoid.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Failboattootoot posted:

Go back and look. Lightning doesn't shoot out of his face, he doesn't command the titans to do anything, and the only vaguely supernatural thing going on at the time was his fists smoking. He yells aaaa real loud and punches a titan and then the other titans jump that one. I would not be surprised at all if it was someone else controlling the titans and that was just clever timing. Which I hope is what happened since giving Eren even more power is boring.

What do you mean "even more power"? All Eren has going for him so far is being a shifter, and that's gotten him pretty much nowhere. If anything, it's caused him way more trouble than if he wasn't and just fought normally. That's honestly one of my favorite parts of the series so far, what appeared to be a shonen power-up turned out to be lovely. Having it end up useful (via controlling other titans) would be nice and might actually let Eren stop being a damsel in distress.