Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I accidentally shot some Tri-X 400 at 100. Massive Dev chart gives me anywhere from 4:45-6:45 for ISO 200 (HC-110, Dilution B), or 7:30 for ISO 400. Normally I use Dilution H (half of Dilution B), but it only gives me 9:00 for ISO 400, no push/pull times. How long do you recommend I leave it in for Dilution H? I was thinking probably 6-7 minutes and just deal with any overexposure. I don't think what's on there is super important to me... actually don't even know what the hell is on the roll it's been sitting in my fridge so long (all I wrote on it was that I hosed up and exposed it at 100).

Kodak's fact sheet doesn't have any on it either. Do you have any other developer? Diluted D-76 should work well for pulling it this much...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snolliemonsters
Dec 25, 2007
My old man got me all of this for the equivalent of about $50 us on a South African auction site.

I've really had a blast and mostly carry this with my digital since i'm scared of missing shots since i'm still pretty slow at manual focusing.
Here is a few of the good shots from my first 6 rolls of film.
http://mamiyazm.tumblr.com/

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Primo Itch posted:

Kodak's fact sheet doesn't have any on it either. Do you have any other developer? Diluted D-76 should work well for pulling it this much...

You don't need published times to develop at a certain EI just take off 25% per stop pulled. I tend to add more time when I push (up to 100% per stop when doing stand) and stick to 20-25% when pulling film. Frankly, I haven't actually shot a film at less than box speed in years so I don't have any recent experience but it should work just fine to just do HC-110 "H" @ 5.75-7 mins.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

snolliemonsters posted:

Here is a few of the good shots from my first 6 rolls of film.
http://mamiyazm.tumblr.com/

You gotta post the cat one here. Dorkroomers love Catte pics

snolliemonsters
Dec 25, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You gotta post the cat one here. Dorkroomers love Catte pics

Do I win catpoints? :radcat:

edit:resized before I lose catpoints

snolliemonsters fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 22, 2013

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

snolliemonsters posted:

Do I win catpoints? :radcat:

Yes, but you lose table breakage points. Quick! Fix it before SoundMonkey sees it.
Width better is 800px or less.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

edit:nm

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!

Spedman posted:

It sounds like you're dealing with "Bromide Drag" which has nothing to do with the fix (that stuff should take AGES to exhaust) and everything to do with not enough agitation during the development stage of the process. How much/often were you agitating/inverting during development?

Also, I'm pretty sure it's impossible to get this problem with Rodinal/R09/Adonal. (I think).

Still unsure of that, but I refixed the two rolls for 10 minutes each and it went away.

I think I'm going to talk with my professor to volunteer as a monitor for the labs. I get full run of the place, and unlike the other monitors, I'm an actual photography student. I could take as long in the darkroom as I want.

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela
Some half frame action with an olympus pen 3 and some local Dutch film (hema).

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Everyone seems pretty keen on using DSLR's for film scanning, so has anyone seen or used one of these before?
http://www.macodirect.de/digital-duplicatorbrus-version-p-751.html

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Spedman posted:

Everyone seems pretty keen on using DSLR's for film scanning, so has anyone seen or used one of these before?
http://www.macodirect.de/digital-duplicatorbrus-version-p-751.html

I haven't even heard of this sort of thing but if anyone has any good things to say, let me know, please let me know.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

I haven't even heard of this sort of thing but if anyone has any good things to say, let me know, please let me know.

quote:

The built-in-close-up lens allows you to transfer slides into video and digital movie cameras with relative ease.

Relative to performing a heart bypass armed only with a spoon.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Some multiple exposure fuckery.

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela
I love those. What was the exposure like (over or under) and do you shoot the portraits first?

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

I'm gonna steal that idea. It looks too much fun.

Looks like the portraits were first, probably on a darker background.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite

ZippySLC posted:

Relative to performing a heart bypass armed only with a spoon.

You're in NJ right? What are you doing for developing? I used Taylor Photo in Princeton for my 1st test roll and it is not a sustainable option for my wallet.
PM if you don't want to junk the thread up.

Speaking of, favorite shot in terms of exposure.

00500011 by Bud_lish, on Flickr

edit: PMed you VVV

Bud fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 25, 2013

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

Bud posted:

You're in NJ right? What are you doing for developing? I used Taylor Photo in Princeton for my 1st test roll and it is not a sustainable option for my wallet.
PM if you don't want to junk the thread up.

I work at the University so I also got my first roll developed at Taylor. They whacked me pretty hard for some crappy scans, but their processing seemed alright. I was thinking about trying to find a place online that I can send the film to to see if that is more cost effective.

nop
Mar 31, 2010
Here's a weird question (and I may want to take it to the scanning thread) but how would I go about digitizing Ektar? In particular removing the cyan cast? Right now I'm trying to use my digital camera with a macro lens. I've been able to use this setup for B&W and portra with no problems but for Ektar I just can't get rid of the cyan cast. Does anyone have any experience doing this? If all else fails would be I able to correct it with a colour enlarger?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

nop posted:

Here's a weird question (and I may want to take it to the scanning thread) but how would I go about digitizing Ektar? In particular removing the cyan cast? Right now I'm trying to use my digital camera with a macro lens. I've been able to use this setup for B&W and portra with no problems but for Ektar I just can't get rid of the cyan cast. Does anyone have any experience doing this? If all else fails would be I able to correct it with a colour enlarger?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_qeZOWqchM

I set RGB channel white/black points in curves, but otherwise what I do is pretty similar.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

Miike posted:

I love those. What was the exposure like (over or under) and do you shoot the portraits first?

I underexposed both shots by a stop. Divide your shutter speed by how many exposures you are going to take, in this case 2. So the portraits metered at like f 5.6 @ 1/15 so I shot it at 1/30. I actually ended up with some flat negatives but nothing that a boost in brightness and slight boost in contrast couldn't resolve. Shot the portraits first but I don't think it matters. Just as long as what you are shooting into has a background that is brighter than the portrait, you should get a similar effect. Ideally I would use some bright flashes with a white background on the portraits, that way I could shoot any texture that I want without worry of it bleeding over onto the rest of the frame. But until I can afford a decent flash setup, shooting into the sky is the best option.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Just developed a bunch of rolls. Its always a gamble. You are either overjoyed at the surprising results or hit depths of depression at the poo poo you made and spent time and money on.

Untitled by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more

MrBlandAverage posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_qeZOWqchM

I set RGB channel white/black points in curves, but otherwise what I do is pretty similar.

I wish there was a slide film version of this video. My scans always look so bad next to the slide :saddowns:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bobsledboy posted:

I wish there was a slide film version of this video. My scans always look so bad next to the slide :saddowns:

I always find slide scanning much easier than negative scanning, especially with Epson V models. My neg scans, no matter what the film, usually look like crap but it does justice to Ektachrome and Kodachrome.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I feel the same way - v500 has no trouble scanning slides and most of the time little post work is needed to make them look presentable.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Bobsledboy posted:

It's pretty much the same, except there's no orange mask to remove. You're still going to be setting white points and black points in the same way and changing the color balance in the same way.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

Santa is strapped posted:

I feel the same way - v500 has no trouble scanning slides and most of the time little post work is needed to make them look presentable.

I'm loving my new V600. I'm going to have to get a copy of Vuescan though.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Bobsledboy posted:

You might want to calibrate your scanner for slides because I don't even have to do any colour correction when scanning slides with my V700.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Slides are almost always disappointing to scan, because looking at them on a light table is just magic.

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

Turns out I had shot and was trying to scan stuff that was expired but I didn't realise, whoops. How does the colour look on this?

Edit: It's provia 400f

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Reichstag posted:

Slides are almost always disappointing to scan, because looking at them on a light table is just magic.

Definitely can't disagree with that.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Does fix go off like dev? What I have is opened and about two years old. I'm guessing stop is fine seeing as it's basically vinegar, and if not I'll just use water.

What's Fomapan 400 Action like? It works out over a Euro cheaper per roll.

Anything I should look out for with a Minolta X-300? (It's within my limited budget.)

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

Mrenda posted:

Does fix go off like dev? What I have is opened and about two years old. I'm guessing stop is fine seeing as it's basically vinegar, and if not I'll just use water.

You can test your fixer really easily by cutting off an undeveloped piece from the leader of a roll of film. Just time how long it takes for the piece of film to go clear, unless it never goes clear or it's ridiculously slow compared to the time you expect to fix for then it's probably fine.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Mrenda posted:

Anything I should look out for with a Minolta X-300? (It's within my limited budget.)
If you haven't got it yet, there's an X700 for $35 on Keh right now.

Yeehaw McKickass
Dec 15, 2004

TheLastManStanding posted:

If you haven't got it yet, there's an X700 for $35 on Keh right now.

Or the X570 for $59, with is arguably the better choice.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

Well, I did it. I'm the new weekend monitor for the school darkroom. That means free access to the black and white darkroom when I'm on, since NOBODY shows up on saturdays. Kinda bummed they dont have a color darkroom anymore. I really want to buy some color film next time I'm at b&h.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Yeehaw McKickass posted:

Or the X570 for $59, with is arguably the better choice.

Someone used the Buy It Now on the X-300/370.

I ended up getting an XG-M with the 50mm 1.7 for €40 including delivery. I decided not to go with ordering outside the EU as Irish customs are supposedly having a crackdown at the moment.

Now to bring my developing stuff to this new apartment and see if the local dark room would exchange one of my enlargers for free time in their room.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mrenda posted:

Irish customs are supposedly having a crackdown at the moment.

Oh for reals? Got any more details on this? Very relevant to myself.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Oh for reals? Got any more details on this? Very relevant to myself.

Just going on what's being said on Boards.ie. Apparently a lot of people are getting asked to fax/e-mail through their receipts (so no marking anything as "gift") and are getting hit with VAT once the item is more than €20. Less than about €200 means no customs though, just the 23% VAT. Supposedly it's something to do with them taking on a load of extra workers last Christmas and them not having anything to do at the moment. They took them on to hit stuff coming through Jersey (IoM?) and they've been at a loose end ever since.

There's nothing scientific to it, just that far more people are reported getting caught.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
:getin:

$250. Dirty and the heater isn't working, but I'm confident I can either fix it or rig up something with an aquarium heater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Minolta XG-1 5 by Execudork, on Flickr
I won this Minolta XG-1 with 45mm f/2 and some-brand-I've-never-heard-of 80-200 f/4 ("Kitstar") in an auction at the local Salvation Army thrift store.

The real reason I was willing to pay $75 for this was the sweet case it came in:

Minolta XG-1 2 by Execudork, on Flickr