Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Kyrosiris posted:

So the patch is out and yes, Plantera basically goes into a post-dawn Skeletron/Prime frenzy if removed from the Underground Jungle in the slightest, and the Rod of Discord does 100 loving damage if you use it within the 10s CD. :laffo:

gently caress, server meister left for work an hour ago and won't be back until midnight. Guess I'm not playing Terraria tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
There was no noticeable change as I led Plantera up to the surface, and even the VampKnives I was using were still doing normal damage, and then I touched the main body and immediately died. So, there you have it.

In other news, the Frozen Wings I quickly crafted to go retrieve my items came with the Warding modifier, so all in all a successful experiment.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

RatHat posted:

Sweet, Papyrus Scarab is probably Hercules beetle + Necromantic scroll.
Sparkfrost boots = Lightning boots + Ice skates?
Jellyfish diving gear = Jellyfish necklace + Diving gear.
Arctic diving gear = Jellyfish necklace + Ice skates?
Fart in a balloon is obvious.
Celestial stone = Sun stone + Moon stone probably.

I was mostly right for this. Arctic Diving gear is Ice skates + Jellyfish diving gear.

Also there's Sniper scope, which is Rifle scope + Destroyer emblem.

EDIT: The game doesn't stop you from killing yourself with the Rod of Discord by the way.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 31, 2013

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Didn't see it mentioned anywhere else, but Heart Lanterns can be placed for a health regen bonus, with an area of effect of about one screen wide.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

So, where can I find these patchnotes? Steam is unhelpful and a quick google search yielded me nothing.

Edit: \/\/ Thanks!

Ssthalar fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 31, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ssthalar posted:

So, where can I find these patchnotes? Steam is unhelpful and a quick google search yielded me nothing.

Here

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I don't understand the change to the Rod of Discord. It was already a pretty rare item to begin with, why not just give it a small manacost like 5 or something, rather than making it basically useless for anything except (excruciatingly slowly) exploring underground terrain?

Moreover, is the "you can't teleport into the jungle temple" is fine, but does that mean with non-player placed jungle temple walls, teleporter platforms won't work, or you just can't rod of discord in? THAT I at least understand, but making Plantera harder to make an arena for is just sort of mind boggling. You can make a skybridge arena for twins, platforms upon platforms for skeletron/destroyer/whatever, but now we can't make basic arenas for plantera without clearing massive areas of jungle, oh and by the way it has to be close to the bulb, and if you die, tough luck? Plantera now stretches above-ground higher and when enraged shoots seeds at you at 10x the pace, and not even vampire knives with full turtle armor and a full set of warding accessories can save your rear end.

I was happy to see the 1.2 update, but these recent patches have made me want to uninstall permanently and just wait for Starbound.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

DelphiAegis posted:

Moreover, is the "you can't teleport into the jungle temple" is fine, but does that mean with non-player placed jungle temple walls, teleporter platforms won't work

Correct. Hilariously, if you hammer out the walls (doable with the Pwnhammer), they function just fine.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Can anyone figure out what the trees are made of in this pic?

At first I thought it was just slime blocks painted brown, but it turns out there is no brown paint. It's not deep orange/red either.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Is that living wood?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Cicadalek posted:

At first I thought it was just slime blocks painted brown, but it turns out there is no brown paint. It's not deep orange/red either.

Looks like pumpkin blocks and walls.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Cicadalek posted:

It was made before pumpkins were introduced, so not that. The person who made it called it "Slime World" so presumably it's slime painted something or other.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
Is it actuated slime?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Does anybody know if the recent update killed the ability to farm souls and grind for key molds with meteorite ore? I've been afk killing meteor heads in underground crimson for like four hours and i haven't gotten a single soul drop.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Got back to my hardcore char after a few days break. Was happily exploring the jungle and suddenly BOOM, TNT trap. Survived with ~100 HP. :aaa:

One of those killed my previous char, at least it was very early on. I guess I need to walk with the wrench active all the time.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Verviticus posted:

Is it actuated slime?
Yeah, it looks like orange slime that's been actuated into the background to appear darker and thus browner.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

DelphiAegis posted:

making Plantera harder to make an arena for is just sort of mind boggling. You can make a skybridge arena for twins, platforms upon platforms for skeletron/destroyer/whatever, but now we can't make basic arenas for plantera without clearing massive areas of jungle, oh and by the way it has to be close to the bulb, and if you die, tough luck? Plantera now stretches above-ground higher and when enraged shoots seeds at you at 10x the pace, and not even vampire knives with full turtle armor and a full set of warding accessories can save your rear end.

I was happy to see the 1.2 update, but these recent patches have made me want to uninstall permanently and just wait for Starbound.

Really, this isn't as terrible as people seem to be making it. When my friend and I were getting ready for Plantera I found a decently sized cavern in the Jungle and made a house of to the side a little way. Made a couple extra rooms and moved the nurse over from our main base. Then we went looking for a Plantera bulb, made a simple path between it and the cavern (which is no different than making one to the surface and likely easier too), and went to town. We got horribly murdered the first time, but that's not really too surprising for a first try on a new boss paired up with me forgetting to check my mana potions and running out 20 seconds in to the fight. :downs: Second try we cleared out the cavern a little more, made a little more space in a couple areas, and we were good to go. Killed it the second time, my friend running a melee build with Frost Armor, I forget his weapon, and I was running magic with Chlorophyte, a Magic Knife with a good enchant and an okay Book of Skulls.

For a single-player run I would look for maybe two caverns close to each other and do a little modification to make them one, have full Hallowed gear at minimum, preferably Cholorphyte or Turtle armor and the good weapons of course. If you can get the Frost set, it seemed the Frostburn debuff kept Plantera from despawning after my friend and I had both died, so you might take a look at that as well. No idea if that's just a thing, a bug or if other DoT effects will do the same. If you're running Vampire Knives, then the fight is hardly any different than doing it above ground, you just have to prepare a little like every other boss fight in the entire game.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
It was pointed out to me just a moment ago, but... if you were wanting to play The Story of Red Cloud for whatever reason, it apparently works again.

http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/adv-dark-souls-mod-the-story-of-red-cloud.87617/

All you need to do is install an older version of Terraria that apparently comes packed with tConfig now.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

The Pumpkin Moon music box seems bugged, my blank one turned into an Ankh Charm instead. Guess it beats grinding for the components if you still need one.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How does the hoverboard compare to wings? Is it at least as good as Flame/Frost/Leaf/Ghost?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

RatHat posted:

How does the hoverboard compare to wings? Is it at least as good as Flame/Frost/Leaf/Ghost?

It goes slightly higher than those four and is faster horizontally if you hover, worse vertically than Spooky / Dark Fairy or w/e.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Hoverboard seems to be the clear "best" flight accessory just for zooming around long distances. Also if you have a cloud in a balloon equipped you can do a bug where you jump while holding S and A or D and hover around infinitely!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I have full Titanium gear, and my main weapons are a Phoenix Blaster and a Golden Shower. How hosed would I be if I activated a Pumpkin Moon?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

SirSamVimes posted:

I have full Titanium gear, and my main weapons are a Phoenix Blaster and a Golden Shower. How hosed would I be if I activated a Pumpkin Moon?
So hosed.

For reference, the PM is supposed to be a challenge for people who have the best gear in the game. You've just entered Hardmode.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

Hahahaha.

(You would just chain deaths repeatedly at your spawn until the event ended)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

SirSamVimes posted:

It'd be like fighting Wall of Flesh in copper armor. Except replace him with hundreds of scarecrows, dogs, trees and pumpkings.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Sounds good, I'll give a trip report once I do it.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

SirSamVimes posted:

Sounds good, I'll give a trip report once I do it.

The many deaths of SirSamVimes.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Nevermind, I need Ectoplasm and I haven't killed Plantera yet so the Dungeon doesn't have monsters that drop it. :saddowns:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

SirSamVimes posted:

Nevermind, I need Ectoplasm and I haven't killed Plantera yet so the Dungeon doesn't have monsters that drop it. :saddowns:
Do you at least have 400 HP?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Leper Colon V posted:

Do you at least have 400 HP?

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

need more gold

Fun tip: you can use the hammer on metal bar stacks to make them half-height!

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
And that's why we need a gold-coin liquid craftable from gold bars/coins.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Anony Mouse posted:

need more gold

Fun tip: you can use the hammer on metal bar stacks to make them half-height!

There needs to be a way to put objects in front of other objects, like a secondary background object. Metal bars and wooden beams are perfect for adding a bit of detail in bases, but since they prevent other object placements, I can only utilize small batches of it.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I just had a ridiculous string of drops - first a rod of discord off of a chaos elemental I bumped into then 2 sequential eclipses with a total of 5 broken hero swords. I also killed skeletron prime in the daytime, had him mostly whittled down then he instakilled me and the return damage from my turtle armor popped him.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

How the hell do you have full Titanium armor and those are your best weapons?

I have barely gotten enough Titanium to make a drill and I have like 5 or 6 way better weapons.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The Golden Shower can easily carry you through 70% of Hardmode, so I'm guessing he/she just never bothered getting anything else because there wasn't much need.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Tried to fight Plantera underground yesterday, it's absurdly easy if you make a decently-sized cavern. Like, two screens big, not much more. Find an already existing underground jungle cave and clean it up a bit. The only boss I sort of needed an arena for was my first Golem kills, and I only flattened the room floor a bit and made a tunnel to walk under him.

The trick to most bosses is just to keep moving, always.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Is there a way to assign another item to right click diablo II style? Switching items quickly during a fight is hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

andrew smash posted:

Is there a way to assign another item to right click diablo II style? Switching items quickly during a fight is hard.

Dual wielding and the ability to change the time at will are the two things that Red really needs to steal from the Red Cloud mod.

• Locked thread