Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

powderific posted:

I'm bit saying your wrong on the adapter bit being workable, but the two adapters I looked at were clearly not optical. The descriptions must just be wrong about maintaining infinity focus.

Unless they're somehow getting the lens 3mm recessed behind the flange, in which case I hope you didn't like your mirror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks like it does recess or something, found a few posts about people adapting to Nikon and this guy mentions the lens hitting the mirror at infinity: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=54503

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

that link posted:

some were lost in space

Apparently NASA is like that one guy earlier who posted "lol, you guys and your heavy cameras and neck straps."

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 23, 2013

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

evil_bunnY posted:

D7k+35/1.8 is probably my favorite DX combo ever. You'll love it

Pretty much this, it's such a great performer and the 1.8 has been a life-saver in some situations. I also like the vignetting it produces.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
So more info about the D4 Retro seems that they are saying the price will be 3,000 for the body and 3,300 with a 50mm kit lens

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
New rumors say that it does have a hybrid optical EVF viewfinder, and that it will have video mode after all, just not when it's in some special low power mode.

Edit: if it does have video, an EVF, and fixes the crazy soft video issues on the D4 I might buy one.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
I am about to spend $3k on a camera body.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

powderific posted:

New rumors say that it does have a hybrid optical EVF viewfinder, and that it will have video mode after all, just not when it's in some special low power mode.

Edit: if it does have video, an EVF, and fixes the crazy soft video issues on the D4 I might buy one.

It can shoot properly in the mirror lock up mode with old lens. I am impressed.

I guess Nikon is too good to compete with Sony on price.

edit: Panda version too. Nikon is taking the MF guys to the bank with massive demage.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
My wallet...:negative:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Dread Head posted:

So more info about the D4 Retro seems that they are saying the price will be 3,000 for the body and 3,300 with a 50mm kit lens
ALRIGHT FINE NEVERMIND

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
For that kind of money I think I'd go fill a freezer full of real film and enough alcohol to finish scanning it. I mean you can get a FM2 lookalike, or you can get a Mamiya 7 and also a high end Nikon film scanner for the same money.

$2k would be a lot more realistic price.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

$3k is more than a D800, which kills a lot of the appeal.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I'm not sure who this camera is marketed to but $3k is pretty laughable. Yeah you'd get a much better value by going with a D800.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

I see the appeal. Smaller, more rugged body with tactile controls. More manageable RAW size. More fps than d800. EVF/OVF sexiness.

I'm not turned off at 3k but that's definitely reaching my limit.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

1st AD posted:

I'm not sure who this camera is marketed to but $3k is pretty laughable. Yeah you'd get a much better value by going with a D800.

First, shut up dad.

Second, its this or $7k Leica when discussing full frame coverage in a non-dizzzlr body type. Its gonna sell like hotcakes. This price is well within reach for most folks who are looking for a full frame camera in a retro style.

To me, that price is a steal. I actually enjoy shooting my Nikon FG and if this turns out to honestly be an exact clone of the FM2, I know I will end up with one. I expect the used AI/AIS glass market to inflate.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Musket posted:

First, shut up dad.

Second, its this or $7k Leica when discussing full frame coverage in a non-dizzzlr body type. Its gonna sell like hotcakes. This price is well within reach for most folks who are looking for a full frame camera in a retro style.
There's also the A7. The lens lineup is trash, but Sigma will probably start putting out decent stuff when Sony screws the pooch *again*. Right?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

There's also the A7. The lens lineup is trash, but Sigma will probably start putting out decent stuff when Sony screws the pooch *again*. Right?

I dont recognize that abortion as a retro styled camera. APSM and recall feature dial, instead of just shutter speed dial. Sony missed the ball, but i understand they are trying to keep Nex owners, not lose em.

Its current line up is junk and maybe sigma will be great on this camera. I hear good things about the 35mm Fmount they make. I was excited for the A7 for a hot minute before the lens reality sank in.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Good cameras don't have shutter speed dials.

e. bad cameras sometimes don't have shutter speed dials either.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mr. Despair posted:

Good cameras don't have shutter speed dials.

e. bad cameras sometimes don't have shutter speed dials either.

I have no idea what you're talking about, tactile controls own, touch screens and tons of fiddly joysticks and electronic poo poo suck.

Y'all are taking the "retro styling" a bit too seriously. I can't imagine the internals will actually be mechanically timed, at the absolute most it will be an electronically controlled mechanical shutter (like the EM/FA or Pentax ME), meaning if Nikon has a lick of sense they will let you have aperture-priority mode (plus probably P and A modes too I guess).

It's almost certainly just a compact form factor DSLR.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 24, 2013

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

powderific posted:

I'm bit saying your wrong on the adapter bit being workable, but the two adapters I looked at were clearly not optical. The descriptions must just be wrong about maintaining infinity focus.

That was Amazon, right? Could be, a lot of that data is pulled in in bulk by random third-party vendors on Amazon and they gently caress it up a lot on obscure poo poo no one buys. I once bought a random Chinese "intervalometer" that was just a cable release. Wrong picture, wrong description. They probably just imported some electronic factory's catalog and there was a mistake.

Yeah, something is wrong here, either the register chart, the description, the picture, or it's sticking into the mirror box a bit.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I posted an update once I found a thread from someone who actually had one of the adapters. They had a Schneider 135 on a D700 and said that the back of the lens impacts the mirror at infinity focus. Too bad, I was kindof excited about trying it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about, tactile controls own, touch screens and tons of fiddly joysticks and electronic poo poo suck.

Y'all are taking the "retro styling" a bit too seriously. I can't imagine the internals will actually be mechanically timed, at the absolute most it will be an electronically controlled mechanical shutter (like the EM/FA or Pentax ME), meaning if Nikon has a lick of sense they will let you have aperture-priority mode (plus probably P and A modes too I guess).

It's almost certainly just a compact form factor DSLR.

The me super has a pair of buttons for shutter speed :ssh:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mr. Despair posted:

The me super has a pair of buttons for shutter speed :ssh:

To be quite honest the buttons are harder to get used to than an actual knob (or the dial on the ME). And the meter is usually pretty drat accurate at 1x anyway.

What I'm saying here is man up, you don't need buttons unless you're trying to trick a ME into going faster than 1600 or boost exposure in extreme low light. :ssh:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Musket posted:

Its current line up is junk and maybe sigma will be great on this camera. I hear good things about the 35mm Fmount they make. I was excited for the A7 for a hot minute before the lens reality sank in.

Almost the sole reason for me jumping ship from 4/3 (only to end up using m4/3 later) was that the lens selection was absolute loving garbage (and, third parties aside, appears to still be). If every lens I use is an adapted Nikon lens, I may as well just buy a loving Nikon.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
More Nikon cock teasing :dong:

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/microsite/purephotography/movies/movie02.html

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

1st AD posted:

Raw is never really superfluous regardless of where the image will be published.

I've stopped using RAW since I only got my tiny acer netbook and lightroom runs like poo poo on it, don't have the space to store everything on it either. Maybe now that we live in a bigger place I can pack up my desktop and get back to normal.

Is there some lightweight and free alternative for handling RAW images otherwise?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

evil_bunnY posted:

D7k+35/1.8 is probably my favorite DX combo ever. You'll love it

It's weird but I tend to use the 18-55mm kit lens more than the 35mm on my D7k because IMO the 35mm FOV is always too narrow, with the kit lens I tend to keep it at 18mm 99% of the time.

TinyHooker2600
Mar 24, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

Is there some lightweight and free alternative for handling RAW images otherwise?

You could give Nikon's View NX 2 a try. It may not have enough lightroom-esque features for you and is a little unwieldy dealing with large numbers of files but it might be enough to fit the bill.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

I've stopped using RAW since I only got my tiny acer netbook and lightroom runs like poo poo on it, don't have the space to store everything on it either. Maybe now that we live in a bigger place I can pack up my desktop and get back to normal.

Yea, shooting jpg and editing in windows paint.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Process them on the camera :smug:

(You can do some really basic color balance fixing or slight exposure boost-y things, but yeah it's more or less an emergency thing IMO.)

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
This is also why you should shoot in raw though, because the camera can process and export a JPG.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
I'm thinking about selling all my Nikon gear and going mirrorless. Convince me this is a bad idea and I should man up and carry my heavy rear end D200 and 80-200 f/2.8 everywhere and maybe buy this thing.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

copen posted:

I'm thinking about selling all my Nikon gear and going mirrorless. Convince me this is a bad idea and I should man up and carry my heavy rear end D200 and 80-200 f/2.8 everywhere and maybe buy this thing.

Dump all that poo poo and get a Fuji XE1. I did. gently caress them haters.

OOC with the "kit" lens:

South East, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

:snoop:

copen
Feb 2, 2003
You make a convincing argument.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

copen posted:

If weight is the issue for you, I'd try one of these:
http://joby.com/camera-straps/ultrafit-sling-strap-for-men
I'm a bit of an ape, but I regularly walk around with about 10lbs. on one of those with no discomfort.

Nikkor glass is great and Nikon's newer camera bodies are pretty amazing. I couldn't fathom switching, but I guess it's all about getting the tools that work best for you.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Lucky for him a small D4-sensored camera is coming out in a week or so.

You never said anything about money, though.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
That nikon DF looks sweet and I would love to go with one but isn't it going to be manual focus or do we know? I would have to replace all my autofocus lenses then. also money..

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

copen posted:

I shot with a XE1 and a Canon EOS M in the wood over the weekend. I have to say after post processing them and uploading them, a modern sensor without the low pass filter gives you so much more color detail in the same scene. I just couldn't get the color back in Photoshop with the Canon.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

copen posted:

That nikon DF looks sweet and I would love to go with one but isn't it going to be manual focus or do we know? I would have to replace all my autofocus lenses then. also money..

It's going to have AF and be over 2k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My D600 was out on a shoot the other day and started producing an ERR error message on the screen and refusing to work. Eventually just pressing the shutter button a few times got it to work again. It's already shipping out to Nikon today to get it's stupid sensor cleaned and I've asked them to take a look at that too, but of course there's no obvious signs of anything.

Is that likely just shutter malfunctions?