Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

omnibobb posted:

I'm having issue with the "Idol Fight" level.

I've got my Laharl to level 40, and my other guys to about 20-30.

I've done a couple of runs through the first 10 levels of an item world (keep having to leave to go to work or something). I guess I could go back and do more levels?

A couple of questions:

Does my character or my enemy need to be standing on the +Exp panel? I've been having my guy stand on it, but I can see how it'd make sense to have the enemy on it.

Also, the bonus at the end of the level, if it's +1000 Exp (or whatever) does it effect every character? Every character that's exited the panel?

I thought Idol fight was pretty tough. A good way to level for it is to go back to the stage where you battle Sicily (2-6 maybe?) and use the cheat shop to increase the power of those 4 dragons to the point where you get good xp for killing them but they don't one shot you. Then stack your whole team into a tower and kill them all. After doing that a few times I managed to beat the level.

The good thing about grinding levels as a tower is you get a strong team instead of the main character carrying everyone else through the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Enemies have to be standing on the EXP+% (or Mana+, or HL+ for that matter) panels, to gain the reward.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Thanks!

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Man, now after 6-2 D2 is freezing literally so much I can't even beat a level, it's straight up unplayable. Is there any word for a patch or anything?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

goldjas posted:

Man, now after 6-2 D2 is freezing literally so much I can't even beat a level, it's straight up unplayable. Is there any word for a patch or anything?

I haven't had this problem and don't have the download version, so take this with a grain of salt, but if I might make some suggestions..

The problem apparently happens when using certain skills, so you might note what skills are causing it first. If it's always the same skills, but the lockup is inconsistent, you can turn off spell animations in the menu; they'll still play the first time, but you could just keep trying the skill, resetting if it locks up, until it manages to get through the animation once, then you won't have the problem with that skill again.

If the lockup is inconsistent on which skills it happens for, you can still turn on animation skip, save as frequently as is reasonable, and at least know it will resolve over time as you see more and more of them.

If it's so consistent you can't even get past a particular skill once.. well, maybe it's different skills causing it for everyone, in which case a re-download of the game might reset which ones have the problem?

If it's always certain skills, consistent for everyone, across all downloaded copies.. killing whoever uses those skills as fast as possible might get you through the main game, but I wouldn't even attempt the item world without a patch. At least that level of consistency should make the problem easy to patch.. but then why there still isn't one yet I don't know.

Alternatively, renting/gameflying the disc copy until there's a patch might help too. Hell, just rent it long enough to see all the locking skills.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 2, 2013

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The most consistent lock-up causer for me is Fire spells, and it happens whether skipping is on or not. In fact, I've heard leaving animations on and manually skipping (with triangle) avoids the freeze. Naturally it would just so happen that Tera Fire is the best spell to use in the best grinding map, so that's gonna be fun. Plus you can't control whether an enemy will use it and freeze everything.

Either way I've mostly taken to just using Star spells instead as I've never had Ice/Wind/Star cause any freezes, and I save before every level. I'm not saying this is something I accept, and I hope to hell they patch it, but that's the workaround that's worked for me. Try the various things that have been suggested and see if anything helps.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Smello posted:

Alternatively, renting/gameflying the disc copy until there's a patch might help too. Hell, just rent it long enough to see all the locking skills.

The disc copy isn't safe from lockups either. I haven't been able to make myself spend time playing the game because I know it might lockup and make me lose a ton of progress when my playtime is limited. I even submitted a support ticket to NISA about it and haven't heard a thing. They HAVE to be aware of this, right?

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

I just had my first lockup, triggered by a skipped fire spell animation, playing from a disc. Since I spend most of my time item world diving, the game pretty much is dead to me until they patch it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

At the risk of sounding dense, how do I get one of my units to learn another's spells in D2? :sweatdrop:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Lizard Wizard posted:

At the risk of sounding dense, how do I get one of my units to learn another's spells in D2? :sweatdrop:

Units can share spells between them if they are Apprentice/Mastered to each other - you can change apprentice relationships in your base whenever you want. If the unit who doesn't know the spell uses it enough to level it up to the next skill level, they get it permanently.

They may need to stand next to each other on the map as well to share spells, but I forget if that is just the older versions.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Devor posted:

They may need to stand next to each other on the map as well to share spells, but I forget if that is just the older versions.

That's just older versions. In D2, they can stand anywhere. The master can even stay in the base panel if you want. Level 0 spells have really lovely range instead.

An apprentice can also learn their master's weapon skills in D2, which was never a thing before.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 4, 2013

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
They don't. The Master doesn't even need to be deployed.

Also, unlike previous games, it's impossible to lose skills through reincarnation. They can lose all their skill experience and drop to rank 1, but as long as they are at least rank 1 they'll stay in the list (unless they're unique to the class, like Sea Angel buff spells). So you could in theory level up a single generic through every class with a spell and teach them every weapon skill, then apprentice everyone else to them and have them be able to use every spell and weapon skill (although until they learn them permanently they're going to kind of suck).

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Devor posted:

Units can share spells between them if they are Apprentice/Mastered to each other - you can change apprentice relationships in your base whenever you want. If the unit who doesn't know the spell uses it enough to level it up to the next skill level, they get it permanently.

So is it the master that learns, or the apprentice? Or does it go both ways?

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Lizard Wizard posted:

It's one way. Only the apprentice can learn abilities from the master, not the other way around.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Lizard Wizard posted:

I thought I wandered into a self help topic for a while, deep stuff.

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012
A few days ago, I was asking about post-game strategies for that lull after you kill Pringer X for the first time. As it turns out, the gap between when your characters can handle Land of Carnage at max strength and Rasetsu Mode + LoC at minimum strength is much smaller than I realized.

Land of Carnage + Rasetsu works by taking what an enemy's stats would be in plain Land of Carnage mode and adding a flat number to each statistic. On the easiest difficulty, the enemies' base stats are so small compared to this rasetsu bonus (5 million for stuff that's not HP & SP) that Land of Carnage 6 is not more difficult than the very first tutorial stage. In fact, Cave of Ordeals 6 is actually easier than the first tutorial stage, because if you move behind the base panel, the enemies won't respond to your attacks.

As soon as your character can do any sort of damage to enemies with stats in the five million range, it's worth it to turn on Rasetsu+LoC100 and do Cave of Ordeals 6 for a huge bonus to your character's HP and SP. Over the course of an evening, I went from having 25 million HP to 100 million, and over the next few days my character hit Rasetsu+LoC300 and now has around one billion HP.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Nakar posted:

manually skipping (with triangle)

Holy poo poo Ive played tons of disgaea but didnt know you could do this. This is fantastic. I want to watch most animations but not when 4 zombies surround my character and start doing long winded attacks.

No freezes or glitches for me so far but I'm only about 10 hours in and I have the retail disk. It sucks that theyre dragging their feet about patching the digital release, losing saved progress is annoying on any game but it would completely kill disgaea for me.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Dj Meow Mix posted:

It's one way. Only the apprentice can learn abilities from the master, not the other way around.

Okay, cool.

I may have misread the tutorial text when playing D2 for the first time a few weeks ago. :blush:

DjinnAndTonic
Jun 1, 2010

"I don't have the energy to put up with idiots. She makes me want to punch kittens."
So I just got my copy of Guided Fate Paradox. It is less "zany" than Disgaea D2, but I'm gonna go ahead and say that it's got a better story going on. The art is apparently done by the artist who made Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and the main character is basically Kyon. Depending upon your opinion of these things, it's either the best NIS story, or the worst.

Gameplay is basically ripped wholesale from ZHP if you've ever played that, but with a few quality-of-life upgrades and a "partner character" with variable AI you can customize. So far a great roguelike as of the beginning of Chapter 4.

Your main character suddenly becomes God and learns he has to grant the prayers of those who believe in him. The best part was granting the prayer of zombie.

Oddly enough, it was a pretty serious moment. :colbert:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Speaking of Guided Fate Paradox anyone know the requirements to get the HP Boon level up? I can't figure out what tiles it wants me to have down to get back to the +50% HP I had at one point, which was extremely nice. I don't think its a 1:1 ratio on all of the tiles. I originally thought it was tied to your Class name but that doesn't seem to be so, unless the ma amount goes down as you gain total levels.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Oh poo poo, I didn't even realize the release date was so soon. I've got too many other games to play and I haven't even scratched the surface of D2.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Anyone try it yet and know if it's any good? I thought the Darkdeath Evilman game was pretty hilarious story-wise or whatever but the gameplay was pretty meh as far as roguelikes go.

I'm still waiting for a patch for the crashing/freezing on D2 before trying it again, unfortunately.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

goldjas posted:

Anyone try it yet and know if it's any good?

It's not bad and thankfully (at least so far) not as skeevy as the trailer would suggest. The more lewd jokes are about Digaea 1 level. It's also simply not as funny as most NISA games. The story is mostly played serious which I didn't expect.

Gameplay wise it's pretty close to ZHP from what I can recall (though I didn't play much of ZHP since I only borrowed a PSP.)

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

goldjas posted:

Anyone try it yet and know if it's any good? I thought the Darkdeath Evilman game was pretty hilarious story-wise or whatever but the gameplay was pretty meh as far as roguelikes go.

I'm still waiting for a patch for the crashing/freezing on D2 before trying it again, unfortunately.

Not funny at all story-wise and somewhat better gameplay-wise than ZHP. If you didn't like the gameplay in ZHP then skip it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'm probably going to pick up D2 in the next little while, especially if Amazon Black Fridays it. Are people still getting the horrible game-freezing bugs a lot or have those largely been patched out?

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

I don't think we've seem a patch since the freezes came out, at least not for the physical version of the game.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I thought the freezing problems were with the digital download version of D2? Or maybe they were more common with the digital version. No problems with my disc copy so far after about 15 hours. Its bullshit if they still havent fixed the download copy though.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Haven't experienced any freezing problems myself, and I'm at like Chapter 6 or something.

Though Desco's Evility doesn't seem to be working for some reason. Do I need to re-incarnate her for it to work or something?

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

I have a physical copy and I have experienced the fire spell crash.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

counterspin posted:

I have a physical copy and I have experienced the fire spell crash.

It's not just that spell, it happened for me with Flonne's Love Knuckle.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Does disabling friendly spell animations prevent the crash bug? Can you even do that (I've not played any of the PS3 Disgaeas, but figure they would have brought that over from handhelds by now). Also as someone who has played a ton of all three D1 ports and D3 Vita, should I be able to pick up all the mechanics pretty quickly or is everything so new my head will melt?

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Haven't had any lock-ups yet, but the thing with Laharl starting a new map at 1HP is particularly annoying in the Item World. Gotta spend one character's action healing him every time a new map shows up (not far enough into the game to give him an Evility that'd mitigate the issue yet).

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

XkyRauh posted:

Haven't had any lock-ups yet, but the thing with Laharl starting a new map at 1HP is particularly annoying in the Item World. Gotta spend one character's action healing him every time a new map shows up (not far enough into the game to give him an Evility that'd mitigate the issue yet).

Yeah, why's this happen? It's annoying as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 22, 2013

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Did they give an ETA on that patch? My digital version of the game froze up so much that it stopped me from playing entirely.

GFP gave me a scare when it froze in the middle of a dungeon, but it only happened once (also digital)

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I've been keeping an eye in the NIS thread about it. They're aware of the issue, but have no ETA.

http://nisamerica.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13386&start=120#p673979

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

omnibobb posted:

Yeah, why's this happen? It's annoying as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

This actually seems to happen when you deploy absolutely everyone out of your Base Panel. When I had enough people that I wasn't deploying everyone every fight, the issue went away.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 22, 2013

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
Don't break tables with single long words. Thanks guys.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Zoolooman posted:

Don't break tables with single long words. Thanks guys.

My b, g.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

Does disabling friendly spell animations prevent the crash bug? Can you even do that (I've not played any of the PS3 Disgaeas, but figure they would have brought that over from handhelds by now). Also as someone who has played a ton of all three D1 ports and D3 Vita, should I be able to pick up all the mechanics pretty quickly or is everything so new my head will melt?

If you're having trouble with Fire spells even the shortened animation with attacks off can freeze the game. You can turn off animations, but the main problem is that the first time a skill that's never been used before is used, the animation plays no matter what (since there's an achievement for seeing them all). This is the main problem, since using the triangle button with skills on to skip them mid-animation nearly always works, but you have to see a skill once before you can do that.

And the actual gameplay is basically Disgaea 1 with a few things from other games like the variation in Geo Symbols, so you should be fine on that at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
I stopped grinding when I unlocked Baal. I can't do it anymore. Guys, I'm starting do doubt my dedication to sparkle motion. :negative:

• Locked thread