Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Effexxor posted:

A fire alarm came on at 1:00 when I was coming back from lunch, so I got to go outside to eat my burrito in the rain with my coworkers. Then they told us to go back in. For the last hour and a half, the fire alarm is still on because they can't find the key to shut it off.

And they're having us take calls. With the alarms blaring.

"I'M SORRY I'M HAVING A HARD TIME HEARING YOU, CAN YOU REPEAT THAT?"

Do you know, if you say that in response to every single thing a customer says, they will eventually get mad and hang up? I do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

It's even better because on most of the calls I get, there's a third party trying to make sure the person will be brought current so they can get a resolution. So not only can no one hear anyone and no one wants to be on the phone, but there's one person in particular who is fighting like a lion to keep the call going so they can somehow get a resolution.

My coworker is actually filling out an OSHA complaint at the moment because of the noise levels, and I'm handing out coloring book pages and crayons so we don't all go insane in my department. That being said, I have never been more grateful for my decision to keep a pair of noice cancelling headphones at my desk.

Edit: The alarm was on for a grand total of 3 hours before it finally got shut off. I'm going to die when the fire alarm goes off and everyone, so accustomed to the constant fire drills from some idiot crossing some wires in our old, old building, doesn't move and just gets roasted alive.

Effexxor fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 23, 2013

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Gotta love when a fire alarm goes off. "Sorry I'm going to have to call you back the fire alarm is going..." "Oh okay but can you first do this and this and what about this? My sister/brother/mother/father/whoever told me I could do this-" "THE BUILDING MIGHT BE ON FIRE I WILL CALL YOU BACK".

Yesterday I sat with Sales for a bit. Jesus, those guys have it rough.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

I've been rereading through this thread and man, for as annoying as call center work can be, I'm still really lucky with my job. And I'm saying this after having spent 3 hours listening to a fire alarm. A friend of mine who was working in my old department, the escalations team, moved to another department that's a bit more of a specialty department but more importantly, has the best supervisor and people working in the team, but it's so small that no one really knows about it. Once I found out I would be paised the same and not have to get screamed at everyday, I put my interview in and was basically knew I was hired from the moment I put in my application.

The work is still taking calls, and that is still draining to me. However, there's still work off the phones, which is nice. But honestly, the best parts about working in this department are all these little things. No mandatory overtime, we got asked for ways to improve certain things and with a week, those changes were being put in place, our supervisor comes in and personally checks in on every single person on the team before heading out and is that incredibly rare mix of relaxed, but also a boss when he needs to be. I mean, I saw that another positioned opened up of the phones and told our TL that I was thinking of applying and my supervisor pulled me aside and told me that he didn't want me to go and that I hadn't worked for the 6 months that I needed to in order to apply elsewhere but that if I wanted it, he would fight to get the 6 month waiting period waived for me. Needless to say, after he said that, I didn't want to go to a department that's notorious for bad administration but is off the phones because I realized that I am never going to find a sup this good.

One issue I am having is getting out of escalation mode. You know how people have 'bitch face', where they're really nice but they always have a sour expression? I have that, only with my voice. I'm a nice person, I swear, but the reason I did well with escalations was because I pitch my voice down and have a stern, business like tone that is not super friendly and customer service-y. Granted, in escalations, I was one of very few people who managed to not escalate people further and everyone would basically have a heart attack when I actually got heated/snippy on a call. My goal was to let them vent, then be calm, quiet and professional until they started to return the favor, and to never take the bait that they were dangling, because they won the second that I stooped to their level. Plus, most of the time, I would be mad in their position too.

Anyway, my voice is pretty stern. Combine that with the fact that I hate when our que is busy and want to take my calls, get everything taken care of and send them on their way with no muss, no fuss in the lest amount of time, and I'm basically a call taking robot. However, I know that this job really needs you to be perky and sunshiney and I... I just can't. I've been throwing myself into doing things that play to my strengths, i.e. research, off the call work and always being ready to bust through calls and clear the que when it's busy, but still. It's getting downright stressful to not be able to sound as perky as I was when I was fresh into call center work.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Effexxor posted:

It's getting downright stressful to not be able to sound as perky as I was when I was fresh into call center work.

It will never come back. Answering the phone will never be light hearted again.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

You will also spend the rest of your life with 'phone voice'. My friends always laugh when I talk on the phone because I automatically slip into it. I recommend replacing perky with a higher-pitched neutral tone with a tinge of eternal sadness.

foobyfooby
Aug 2, 2006
sploight!

Effexxor posted:

It's getting downright stressful to not be able to sound as perky as I was when I was fresh into call center work.

Today I learned that my perky, sunshine-and-rainbows phone voice leads some individuals to believe that I am either stupid, or a child with nothing better to do. This motherfucker called me "kiddo" today. I really don't know why it pissed me off so much. I'm doing my opening line, telling him who I am and why I'm calling, and he interrupts me with the most :smug: poo poo: "Listen, kiddo, I'm at work right now and I really don't have time to play along".
Instant. Rage. Yeah, douchenozzle, I'm at work, too. You don't really think that boring surveys are the new wave in phone pranks, do you?

Like, okay. I know that the calls I'm making are sometimes (always) annoying. I get that. I totally do. But I don't have any control over when we call you, or at what number. At all. I didn't intentionally call during your nap, or while you were performing cataract surgery or watching the World Series or whatever. If you don't want to talk to me, fine! Just say so. I'll accept that you're busy or not interested, I swear. I'll even code the call so we won't bug you ever again, if you bother to just loving say so.

Most people aren't like that, though. It's surprising, really, how many people I talk to in a day that are perfectly happy to share some fairly personal information with a total stranger, just because I asked. Whoa. I thought it'd be like pulling teeth to get this info out of people, but its totally not. The snotty ones are only maybe a tenth of the people I talk to that actually answer the phone. The vast, vast majority don't answer when we call, so I get to hear some excellent voicemail greetings. My favorite one was delivered in this totally flat, deadpan old-lady smoker voice:

"Yes. You've reached Mary Mar'gret. Obviously. I don't feel like answering. Leave a message if you really want to. I probably won't call you back. Leave me alone. God bless you."

But I also really enjoyed this exasperated guy who informed the caller that:

"This is Tim. This is not Nancy. This is no longer Nancy's number. We don't know Nancy, we don't care about Nancy, we don't know anything about Nancy. We don't know where Nancy is. We don't know what she's doing. We don't care if Nancy's alive or dead. We have no information whatsoever concerning Nancy. If you want to leave a message for Tim or Sharon Smith, great. If you wanna talk to Nancy, you have. The wrong. Number. Okay? Okay."

If any of you are responsible for those two messages, thanks.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

foobyfooby posted:

Today I learned that my perky, sunshine-and-rainbows phone voice leads some individuals to believe that I am either stupid, or a child with nothing better to do. This motherfucker called me "kiddo" today. I really don't know why it pissed me off so much. I'm doing my opening line, telling him who I am and why I'm calling, and he interrupts me with the most :smug: poo poo: "Listen, kiddo, I'm at work right now and I really don't have time to play along".
Instant. Rage. Yeah, douchenozzle, I'm at work, too. You don't really think that boring surveys are the new wave in phone pranks, do you?

That reminds me of the time I sent someone into a rage because I was too calm. My phone voice is pretty chill. It helps to not escalate/de-escalate people when they get nothing but calm measured words back. This woman lost it, just went bananas because I wasn't emotional about her problem like she was. "Ok lets reboot the modem." *wait 20 seconds* HELLO! WHAT ARE YOU DOING! WHATS GOING ON! WHY ARE YOU SO CALM! I KNOW YOU DON'T CAAAAREEEE!!! She basically hung up in a frothing rage. Funniest poo poo ever.

foobyfooby
Aug 2, 2006
sploight!

jassi007 posted:

That reminds me of the time I sent someone into a rage because I was too calm. My phone voice is pretty chill. It helps to not escalate/de-escalate people when they get nothing but calm measured words back. This woman lost it, just went bananas because I wasn't emotional about her problem like she was. "Ok lets reboot the modem." *wait 20 seconds* HELLO! WHAT ARE YOU DOING! WHATS GOING ON! WHY ARE YOU SO CALM! I KNOW YOU DON'T CAAAAREEEE!!! She basically hung up in a frothing rage. Funniest poo poo ever.

That's loving ridiculous. That she would be mad at you for being calm, that is. When I call tech support, I want them to be calm. Why wouldn't someone want that?

On Tuesday, a guy called us back. He'd seen our number on his wife's cell phone caller ID and called back all kinds of pissed, demanding to know who THE gently caress had DARED to call HIS WIFE on HER CELL PHONE. When I told him who I was and why we called, he was all smiles and gave the phone to her to answer my questions. I think he thought his wife was having an affair or something. Amusingly enough, we'd actually called to speak to him.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Hey call centre Goons. I just found this thread and have been reading through it enjoying all the stories. My centre is relatively decent- inbound tech support. But I just got called in for an interview for an installer position in the same company. They only hire once every 5 years or so but it's a pretty sweet gig. I am super nervous about the interview. My job is ok but there's no way I can be a lifer.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

cuntvalet posted:

So I won a $25 gift card for making the most customers happy in a set amount of time. So I made a joke to my boyfriend "just watch in a week or two they'll find a reason to give me poo poo for something."
"Some places are like playing a game tetris- all of your successes disappear, and all of your failures pile up."

melon cat fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 4, 2024

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
The most upsetting thing for me was when a customer called with an attitude. At this point I was on antidepressants to help manage the call center stress, and I also just refused to reward her by acting afraid or upset, and it felt like she acted meaner and meaner, hoping to get a response. The one thing that *did* get to me though was when she (presumably) turned to a friend and said "I swear, it sounds like everyone here is on HAPPY PILLS."

Ugh. It wasn't enough to be rude, she had to then get mad at me for not being rude back? Awful.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

The worst thing for me is when people are condescending. My worst escalations were all with people where you could just hear how much better than me they were. The crazies, the screamers, the ones who just couldn't understand, the furious, I could and can handle them just fine because they would (generally) eventually run out of steam and start to listen to me. We had a chance to get some common ground and even if they were screaming at me at the top of their lungs, that anger usually dissipated pretty quickly. The condescending ones? There is nothing you can say escept for what they think is right and if you can't lie to them and say what you want to hear, there is no amount of understanding and calm language or sternness and bluntness that will make them look past their scorn of you. You can call me a bitch or you can insult my family or hell, you can even threaten to physically harm me. But don't be condescending. Don't go reeeal slow when you're repeating yourself again, don't talk about how I'm overpaid or how dumb I must be to work at a call center or insult my intelligence consistenly.

I'm so glad I got out of escalations. I was really good at it, still am, and there's a part of me that misses being able to take someone who is completely irate and make them do a 180 and love me, and the satisfaction of just getting it all fixed, but the other part of me does not miss going home every night completely brain dead.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~
It's hilarious that my post about the gift card was quoted, I just won another one ($10) today for...something. I think it was having a high compliance with the lovely troubleshooting tool we have. Hey, I'll take it. Wonder what they'll yell at me for in two weeks time, again.

I had my favourite (I say this loosely) type of caller today. He had escalated an issue previously and the call back team contacted him to try something, but couldn't get a hold of him.

Me: "Okay, sir, so what our call back team would like us to do is, on your phone, please go to settings..."
Him: "No. I've done this before, time and time again, lady, and it DIDNT FIX ANYTHING!"
Me: "Sir, how do you know you've done it already? I've only given you one step...?"
Him: "You're going to tell me to go to settings and to restore to factory default."
Me: "Actually, sir, I'm not. I want you to change some settings and would be happy to walk you through this, but if you're going to refuse the troubleshooting steps, I'm afraid we won't be able to re-escalate the issue."
Him: (In a very mousey-like tone) "Oh. Well uhm, I'm in settings, where would you like me to go from there?"

That's right, buddy. A lot of secrets are kept in the settings menu, maybe you should listen to what I'm explaining before spazzing out on me.

I've had to be on Tylenol with Codine and muscle relaxants for a lower back issue that started up a week or so ago, and is only getting worse from sitting. Taking calls when stoned out of my mind on pain killers is really weird and feels a lot like when I don't get much sleep...I'm very calm/monotonous and just kinda power through things. Makes the day somehow go faster too. :iiam:

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

melon cat posted:

Employee related stuff

See, that's the thing. It's not my coworkers that piss me off. It's not so much the corporate bullshit that pisses me off. It's being trapped between the corporate bullshit (Things I can and cannot do), and not being able to fix massive fuckups by other people in the company (Namely our contractor techs, they give the most problems). And most of the not being able to fix poo poo comes from corporate policy. It's just not fun getting screamed at and not being able to fix the problem, knowing it's our company's fault for most of it.

My coworkers are fine. Hell, one got his mother to get me on the list for some good bourbon. I caused some drama by going work at home. Over, of all things, the cubicle I was sitting at. But again, that's management's fault for getting too goddamn many people up there and not enough seats, and forcing people out of their seats so their seats can be used as "nesting" (Basically where they get 2 people to hover over them and answer questions while they take live calls for a month). I know most of the drama from work because the girl that used to sit beside me is the gossip queen. But overall the work atmosphere is pretty laid back. It's just lovely policy and lovely customers and it's all my fault.

Which brings me to my favorite line from customers: "I know it's not your fault, and you can't do anything to fix it, but I am pissed because <30 minute rant>".

e:

Cuntvalet, I get that poo poo all the time. Get people to go their modem for phone issue to check the phone line connection, and I immediately get "I HAVE ALREADY DONE ALL THAT" meaning they've rebooted. A lot of that comes from wording though, and I keep testing different lines out to keep people from going stupid from having to check the piece of equipment for something different.

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 25, 2013

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Had a lady call in the other day who had been transferred from another department and was really upset about something. Let her rant for a bit and then say "ok, let me just..."

"NO IT'S NOT OK. I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR HOURS! YOU PEOPLE DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMERS, HOW CAN YOU SAY IT'S OK BLAH BLAH BLAH"

I tried to talk her down for a few minutes (I'm usually pretty good at this), and after some more screaming she hung up on me.

Her account notes are filled with stuff like "CX became angry I used the word 'wonderful' and hung up" and "CX screamed that 'yeah' was not an appropriate word, swore at me, and disconnected the call."

I've saved the account number just to see what happens next.

Honestly people who are angry about nothing just make me laugh now. There's nothing you can do for them anyway. People who are pissed about something legitimate are way harder to deal with but at least I can usually make them realize that I don't have a magic fix everything button.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Blisster posted:

Had a lady call in the other day who had been transferred from another department and was really upset about something. Let her rant for a bit and then say "ok, let me just..."

"NO IT'S NOT OK. I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR HOURS! YOU PEOPLE DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMERS, HOW CAN YOU SAY IT'S OK BLAH BLAH BLAH"

I tried to talk her down for a few minutes (I'm usually pretty good at this), and after some more screaming she hung up on me.

Her account notes are filled with stuff like "CX became angry I used the word 'wonderful' and hung up" and "CX screamed that 'yeah' was not an appropriate word, swore at me, and disconnected the call."

Honestly people who are angry about nothing just make me laugh now. There's nothing you can do for them anyway. People who are pissed about something legitimate are way harder to deal with but at least I can usually make them realize that I don't have a magic fix everything button.

I love poo poo like this. Sometimes if they're really bad I'll put the account aside and look at the notes in my down time in some morbid fascination.

I am really not having a good time at work lately. I'm finally getting to do what I want in regards to coaching, but they totally changed that role now, and the stuff I'm doing is what they used to do. They're also getting really lovely with the metrics, starting to make "referrals" and the like into things we'll be rated on. They've increased our workload so loving much that we have no idea what the vision is anymore past "Tell/sell the client SOMETHING after you've helped them."

I'm not dumb and I can see how this is going, but this is a top employer and I'm damned lucky to get some of the stuff I do. I need to find something else in the company, I just hope it's not going to be too painful while I work towards it.

That said, the people I work with are great, my manager is supportive as hell, and I just don't want to disappoint anyone including myself. And having client's tell you you're appreciated sure does help. :unsmith:

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I'm stunned (maybe not really) that irrationally super pissed people are able to function in society at all. The other day I had someone call about a balance owed on their account. It was valid for sure, but they just yelled and yelled whatever dumb nonsense they believed that wasn't true to reality, then said "you better fix this and get it off my credit report" and then slammed the phone down.

The whole exchange solved nothing, and will never solve anything. Their life tools are weak and useless.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
People like that often use people like us as targets for abuse because they can vent on us and they know that 90+% of the time our bosses don't care enough to do anything about it.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
We're not even supposed to offer to transfer to a supervisor even if the client is screaming and carrying on unless they specifically request to speak with one. When I was a fresh faced employee I would sheepishly take it until they asked; now I just listen for a few minutes, offer what I can, and when it's clear I can't help I ask them if they want to speak with my supervisor because they've made it pretty clear they don't have the mental faculty to actually form a sentence without a threat or a swear. Hasn't done me wrong yet (and I sit at a 98% customer satisfaction rating ytd).

Unfortunately I had a really bad start to this year and my bad metrics from them are gonna kill me when we do our yearly reviews. My old supervisor was giving me veiled threats that she would have me terminated if I didn't get my numbers up, but as numbers are driven by calls and if I'm not getting the calls I need for that, the hell am I supposed to do? Luckily she moved out of that position and I got a new supervisor (who I am meeting with in the morning) so we'll see what happens next.

I just want to go to school full time so I can move out of the industry I'm in and out of this line of call center work, but I can't (mentally) afford to do school full time and work full time, and I can't afford my bills if I drop to part time to go to school. :sigh:

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Blisster posted:

I had a woman call a few weeks ago. "Hello, my mother has just passed away (like... yesterday or something. Very recently) and I really don't know what to do with her house insurance."

"Okay well what we-"

"-it's not okay my mother has just died and yosdkalfnfsfs"

:argh:

This past week the higher-ups had the brilliant idea of telling everyone in service and sales to refer to service team leaders Tuesday/Thursday and sales team leaders Wednesday/Friday due to some course or training or something that was going on. According to them, this would help everyone "learn" and "develop", agents and TLs alike, and would have no impact on service levels or anything.

What actually happened was that service TLs were able to manage (barely), but the sales TLs a) didn't know anything about service jobs and b) didn't have the right access to do things we needed to do. It also meant today, thanks to some dumb scheduling, there was exactly one TL available, at the opposite end of the building, so we had to walk past the four service TLs, past 6 empty sales TL desks, to reach her. During lunch, one of the busiest times of the day. loving brilliant planning that.

EvilHawk fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 25, 2013

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

EvilHawk posted:

I had a woman call a few weeks ago. "Hello, my mother has just passed away (like... yesterday or something. Very recently) and I really don't know what to do with her house insurance."

"Okay well what we-"

"-it's not okay my mother has just died and yosdkalfnfsfs"

:argh:

This past week the higher-ups had the brilliant idea of telling everyone in service and sales to refer to service team leaders Tuesday/Thursday and sales team leaders Wednesday/Friday due to some course or training or something that was going on. According to them, this would help everyone "learn" and "develop", agents and TLs alike, and would have no impact on service levels or anything.

What actually happened was that service TLs were able to manage (barely), but the sales TLs a) didn't know anything about service jobs and b) didn't have the right access to do things we needed to do. It also meant today, thanks to some dumb scheduling, there was exactly one TL available, at the opposite end of the building, so we had to walk past the four service TLs, past 6 empty sales TL desks, to reach her. During lunch, one of the busiest times of the day. loving brilliant planning that.

Honestly, you should be expressing your condolences to these callers rather than opening with, "OK." Like, "I'm so sorry to hear about that. I can" blahblahblah.

Dick Holden
Jul 18, 2003

Purple!
Next week I will start training for a call centre job where I'll be answering inbound calls concerning payroll for employees of some large corporation or another. I've had a job in a call centre before, taking calls for customer support concerning cell phones. That job was pretty awful (except for interrupting Paris Hiltons cell service once a week), as I'm sure I don't need to tell you fine people. I'm just curious if anyone here has dealt with corporate employees rather than straight up public customers, what I should beware of, if it's more or less difficult than the standard CSR job, the basic low-down. Any information would be super helpful!

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Dick Holden posted:

Next week I will start training for a call centre job where I'll be answering inbound calls concerning payroll for employees of some large corporation or another. I've had a job in a call centre before, taking calls for customer support concerning cell phones. That job was pretty awful (except for interrupting Paris Hiltons cell service once a week), as I'm sure I don't need to tell you fine people. I'm just curious if anyone here has dealt with corporate employees rather than straight up public customers, what I should beware of, if it's more or less difficult than the standard CSR job, the basic low-down. Any information would be super helpful!
The thing about dealing with corporate employees (in my experience anyway) is that they are accountable to their managers and acting like a child on the phone is completely unacceptable.

At my desk we were encouraged to go to our manager and report it if someone was being completely unreasonable on a call because the company we were serving had a pretty big interest in knowing that their employees were representing them in a professional manner. So our managers would talk to our contacts at the other company and report poo poo and give them recordings when incidents came up, and callers would actually get in trouble for it when their bosses found out.

That took like, 90% of the stress right out of the job for me, because I knew if someone was being a complete rear end in a top hat all I had to do was not engage with them because it was their own job they were risking treating me like that.

A huge majority of my callers were completely polite and just calling because they wanted their poo poo fixed so they could get back to their own work.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Shout out to the guy who terrorized frontline reps so much he got his own corporate update from a multi billion dollar company, by name and policy, to hang up on him, loving lol.

Dick Holden
Jul 18, 2003

Purple!

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

The thing about dealing with corporate employees (in my experience anyway) is that they are accountable to their managers and acting like a child on the phone is completely unacceptable.

At my desk we were encouraged to go to our manager and report it if someone was being completely unreasonable on a call because the company we were serving had a pretty big interest in knowing that their employees were representing them in a professional manner. So our managers would talk to our contacts at the other company and report poo poo and give them recordings when incidents came up, and callers would actually get in trouble for it when their bosses found out.

That took like, 90% of the stress right out of the job for me, because I knew if someone was being a complete rear end in a top hat all I had to do was not engage with them because it was their own job they were risking treating me like that.

A huge majority of my callers were completely polite and just calling because they wanted their poo poo fixed so they could get back to their own work.

Sweet, this is kind of what I figured but it's nice to get a first hand account. Looks like this job won't be so bad! Also includes 1.5x OT, matching RRSP contributions, and full benefits starting immediately.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I miss overtime. I was pulled from my old desk in August and my new desk hasn't even started yet. I get my 40 hours every week but there's absolutely no possibility for OT when I literally don't get given enough work to do on a daily basis, even when I ask for more.

I haven't taken a call in like three months, aside from like a week in September when I was helping out on a temporary thing.

For example, yesterday I played dwarf fortress for about five hours then got bored and watched a bunch of youtube videos. I did zero work because there was absolutely no work for me to do.

I don't understand corporate America but if they want to keep paying me for this I guess I can't complain.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Loving Life Partner posted:

Shout out to the guy who terrorized frontline reps so much he got his own corporate update from a multi billion dollar company, by name and policy, to hang up on him, loving lol.

This is amazing. Is his policy going to not be renewed, or is he going to remain a customer, just not one you'll ever talk to?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Volmarias posted:

This is amazing. Is his policy going to not be renewed, or is he going to remain a customer, just not one you'll ever talk to?

When I first peeked at the policy it said that he had to communicate with us through the mail from now on and wasn't allowed to call, lol. Last time I checked it said we're going to put him on an uninsurable risk list, non-renew him, and not do business anymore.

I guess he was making violent threats and using EXTREMELY FOUL LANGUAGE (verbatim from a note) with every rep. He's had dozens and dozens of call notes documented in the last 3 months, and most people don't even usually doc those.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

martyrdumb posted:

Honestly, you should be expressing your condolences to these callers rather than opening with, "OK." Like, "I'm so sorry to hear about that. I can" blahblahblah.

I haven't worked in a call centre for years, but this reminds me of my worst one. You know how you end up with those stock phrases that aren't scripted, it's just how you always do a call? Mine was "fantastic".
:v:"Hello this is Wootcannon at <bank> in <city>, how can I help you today?"
:geno:"It's not me that needs helped mate, I need to find out how to close an account as my mother-in-law's just died"
:v: "Fantastic!"

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Dick Holden posted:

If you are working directly for the company where you are taking the calls from everyone will be super nice, because you are a employee too. Shockingly people aren't assholes to people that work with them.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

Loving Life Partner posted:

Hah! We have someone that we have actually talked to the federal government (I work in a government contracted call center) about and got permission from them to block their number from our phone system. They were so bad that my supervisor had to leave their mother's birthday party to talk to this person. There are many people who watch that account like a hawk to see if they've called in with a new number.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
One thing this job has done for me is that I no longer say "uh" a lot. Listening to it on my calls, I hated hearing myself go "uh" all the time through the call. I think I've finally broken myself of that.

Numb Three Ers
Jul 7, 2007
What do you mean it's pronouced "numbers"?
I used to do Inbound support for Nintendo customers. It was a pretty nice gig, I got to play my DS while taking calls and the atmosphere was fairly chill. My absolutely favorite call was actually my first one. I had just finished training and my very fist call was an African american gentleman asking "How come animal crossing doesn't have any brothers? All I see is white people and vermin" then hanging up before I could respond.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
That's a legitimate question.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Starting a Part-Time Telesales job with Comcast.

Does anyone have experience in this job? I need advice on how to make the quota of two sales per day! I (foolishly?) consider this to be my big break into the Call Center field that I've been trying to get into for the longest time.

I know I have an excellent speaking voice, I just need advice on making a sale.

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 1, 2013

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

Be confident, sound conversational, don't be pushy but be firm, go into the call expecting that you're going to get the sale and when they break your heart and say no, don't carry that with you to the next call.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I work in the reporting department of a collections call center and someone else here pulled a list of reasons that customers have given for falling delinquent that contain the word "obama".

The results are just amazing. :allears: I wish I could share them but that would break a few rules. If you have access to the reources to do so at your company, you should try it too.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

SpartanIV posted:

I work in the reporting department of a collections call center and someone else here pulled a list of reasons that customers have given for falling delinquent that contain the word "obama".

The results are just amazing. :allears: I wish I could share them but that would break a few rules. If you have access to the reources to do so at your company, you should try it too.

Speech analytics stuff? Yeah, I wish we had that poo poo. It looks hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
New fascinating hatred:
People who can't wrap their heads around their billing, but especially people who freak if they have 2 payments "in the same month", even if one was delayed to like, the 2nd and their normal due date comes due again on the last day of the month.

WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TWICE IN THE SAME MONTH!? :argh: