Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Atlas Hugged posted:

People spend money on Line?
Not that I know of; everybody I've seen either gets the free packs only on iOS, or gets coins somehow through Android(click on ad banners or something? I dunno) to get free packs. I'd put it up there as being popular, but I don't know in terms of generating revenue; maybe it can do it through its side projects like some of the freemium games or the LINE character goods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Line is basically God. Like 7-Eleven (IIRC) was offering Line merch as giveaways even. And yeah, people spend money on line. Mostly dumb people, but they're basically what the "freemium" model is built on the backs of anyway.

Also I don't know about Puzzles & Dragons, but Candy Crush is everywhere.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

In Japan LINE makes hundreds of thousands (USD) a day, I know LINE is more popular in Taiwan than Weixin so I was curious.

I'm really wanting to know what people in Taiwan are doing to outspend every European country except Germany when they have like a third to a half the population of most of these countries. I guess it could have a lot to do with the fact Taiwan is [url="http://www.techinasia.com/2g-nearing-death-taiwan-continues-rapid-3g-growth/"]one of the most 3G/4G connected places on the planet.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Magna Kaser posted:

In Japan LINE makes hundreds of thousands (USD) a day, I know LINE is more popular in Taiwan than Weixin so I was curious.

I'm really wanting to know what people in Taiwan are doing to outspend every European country except Germany when they have like a third to a half the population of most of these countries. I guess it could have a lot to do with the fact Taiwan is [url="http://www.techinasia.com/2g-nearing-death-taiwan-continues-rapid-3g-growth/"]one of the most 3G/4G connected places on the planet.

4G my rear end. :argh:
this is both a statement and a request

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Taiwan doesn't have LTE? :what:

Yeah I wouldn't pay for line stickers but I do spend money on this internet forum, then the archives, and then platinum. Oh and bought people forum custom titles....

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

caberham posted:

Taiwan doesn't have LTE? :what:

Yeah I wouldn't pay for line stickers but I do spend money on this internet forum, then the archives, and then platinum. Oh and bought people forum custom titles....

If you could pay money to change other people's icons on LINE or Weixin people would totally do this.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Is poker on indefinite hiatus or something? I'd like to do it again sometime.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
LINE isn't just "more popular than Weixin", it's basically the be all and end all of apps here. I never see people use any other messenger and LINE is probably more popular than even Facebook (even for features such as sharing pictures despite Facebook obviously being more efficient in this regard)
Not sure how things are outside of the student bubble though...

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Wasn't Whatsapp popular for a bit?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

quadrophrenic posted:

The venue owner was on hiatus or something; it's looking to start up again next week I think.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yeah, because it was pretty much the first one to do cross-platform messaging I think. It's still in use, but it just doesn't have :siren:stickers:siren:.

My personal thought is that Whatsapp is really slow to evolve too though; it used to offer stuff like share location and audio before LINE, but then LINE had stuff like sending multiple photos at the same time and it also has a desktop client. Add to this that they now want a yearly fee(a dollar) for service, and welp

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

LINE is doing pretty well in Taiwan and Japan and a bit of SE Asia. Taiwan's residual love of all things Japanese/Hate of all things mainland is always interesting for me :allears:

No one knows what Tencent is going at not monetizing Weixin for so long despite having like 110% of mainlanders and a lot of SEAsians using it. Apparently WeChat is starting to take off in the US because it which is the most :psyduck: thing of all.

I've had friends in the last couple months who live in the US and have no real connection to China tell me they're switching from WhatsApp to WeChat and it's freaking me out.

WhatsApp costs money to use even to basically chat, which is why it's steadily losing ground in everywhere and changing it's whole model around. It was popular in Japan and Korea for a hot minute as well.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yeah there was like a year or so there where MSN had fallen off and WhatsApp was the new hotness, but poo poo got stone cold murdered by Line. WeChat had a go for a few months, what with Rainie Yang and Show Lo as spokesmanniquins for it, but I don't think that really got any traction longer term.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Whatsapp is still dominant in Hong Kong, I think. But WeChat is gaining ground and LINE has a massive marketing campaign going on. 7/11 here is offering LINE stickers or something and I just today saw that LINE bought like the entire Kowloon Tong MTR station.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
When I was still in Taiwan everyone I knew was using Line. The only competition was Facebook, and honestly most used Line over Facebook for chatting.

WeChat isn't really taking off in the US from what I can tell. I've logged on a few times here, and all the Chinese locals will be on, but you don't see many Westerners on there.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

LINE is everywhere. I told my family back home about LINE, we started using it instead of Skype. It also worked when I went on vacation to China, which was nice.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I'm not sure if chat apps will ever take off in the US as long as all carriers offer unlimited inter-network SMS with just about every plan.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I think chat apps will eventually take over regular sms because chat apps handle chat logs and group messenging in a much better fashion compared to old sms. Sure, you can argue that US carriers offering free text/video/picture is a big draw, but people in the states also tend to use lovely phones. So they don't really see the merit in getting a smart phone, I wouldn't blame them when US data plans are so drat expensive. Heck, an empty sim card can cost you $15 USD when that's already 1GB of data and 500 minutes of Voice.

hitension posted:

LINE isn't just "more popular than Weixin", it's basically the be all and end all of apps here. I never see people use any other messenger and LINE is probably more popular than even Facebook (even for features such as sharing pictures despite Facebook obviously being more efficient in this regard)
Not sure how things are outside of the student bubble though...

Depends on what kind of "efficiency" though. All these chat apps make sharing pictures/contacts/things much easier through specific lists and contacts where as facebook is more permanent when you post things to your wall. facebook messenger app isn't that great compared to LINE.

It's funny how everyone likes LINE "because it's Japanese" when it's actually run by a Korean company.

LINE is my favourite chat app, with its :catdrugs:stickers:catdrugs: Wechat is a buggy piece of crap.

caberham fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 1, 2013

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Kakaotalk is the best, praise Banao.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I have a sticker of a 60s-style comic dad slapping his kid with a word bubble "SHUT UP, BOY"

You can't really top that.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer
I'm putting together an introductory game of Dungeons and Dragons 4e for some friends here in Tainan. If anyone around the area wants to join, that would be cool. Details aren't set in stone yet but so far we only have three players, and the more the merrier.

Any other cool dudes wasting their lives down here are more than welcome to join. It is as much an excuse to get drunk and ruminate on how goblins and hobgoblins are different as it is a serious game.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Oh. My. Zeus. posted:

I'm putting together an introductory game of Dungeons and Dragons 4e for some friends here in Tainan. If anyone around the area wants to join, that would be cool. Details aren't set in stone yet but so far we only have three players, and the more the merrier.

Any other cool dudes wasting their lives down here are more than welcome to join. It is as much an excuse to get drunk and ruminate on how goblins and hobgoblins are different as it is a serious game.

Good luck with that. Remember that if you need more books, just take a pdf to a print shop and you can get it printed (black and white) and soft bound for like 1nt/double sided page. I ran 4e a few years ago, then got annoyed with the system and changed my group over to 2e. Ran that for a few years, ending it a few months back because I'm leaving Taiwan finally.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I was having a lot of fun doing some DND NEXT with some friends of mine. I should really get back on that.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hey guys did you know that Hong Kong politics is under heavy influence from Taiwan? It's true! Just look at all the signs:

An enlightening article posted:

the reality is that Hong Kong's post-handover political development has witnessed some degree of "Taiwanisation".

...Hong Kong people participate in politics show striking similarities with Taiwan's political culture.

...Hong Kong's political parties and candidates have utilised Taiwan's campaign methods, where loudspeakers and colourful flags are the enduring hallmarks. ... also imitated Taiwanese politicians by recruiting singers and celebrities for their election campaigns.

...political scandals have emerged as the hallmark of Hong Kong's district, legislative and chief executive elections...

In Taiwan, the use of scandals to blacken the image of electoral candidates has been commonplace since the early 1980s, when the predecessor of the DPP competed fiercely with the ruling Kuomintang in local elections.

...the polarisation of Hong Kong's political ideology into right- and left-wing factions is in parallel with the wide political spectrum in Taiwan, where political parties range from pro-reunification to pro-independence.

...conflicting views can easily lead to violent confrontation between citizens and the police - another trait shared by the two societies.

...the emergence of strong nativism in Hong Kong is increasingly similar to the anti-mainland identity of many Taiwanese people. In Hong Kong, it also carries a strong anti-mainland tone, with people seeing Hong Kong's economic integration with the mainland in a negative light, and the influx of mainland immigrants and tourists as detrimental to local society.

...if populism can be defined as elevating the importance of public opinion to a level that has to be respected and followed by the government, then Taiwan and Hong Kong are converging politically.

In Taiwan's Western-style democratic system, populism was translated into the capture of political power by opposing parties.

...The most "dangerous" aspect of the Taiwanisation of Hong Kong is not the visit by some pan-democrats to a DPP activist in Taiwan. Rather, unlike in Taiwan, there is no safety valve for the surge in populism in Hong Kong, which can channel populist movements into the political institutions.

The result is that Hong Kong police will, in all likelihood, have to deal with more confrontations with citizens in the near future.
Well that just sounds awful! Look at all those ways that Hong Kong politics is exactly like Taiwan! We're doomed! :allears:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

quote:

Hong Kong people participate in politics show striking similarities with Taiwan's political culture.
No, Hong Kongers give way more of a poo poo.

quote:

conflicting views can easily lead to violent confrontation between citizens and the police - another trait shared by the two societies.
Horseshit, the cops and Taiwanese almost never get into violent confrontation. There was a little around Dapu, but that even that small amount was mostly the cops being violent toward the people and not the other way around.

All the rest of that is "democracy is scary".

e: Oh no poo poo, that's from the SCMP? Man, I remember when that paper was good....

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

quadrophrenic posted:

As Duckfarts mentioned the owner of the venue was in shanghai at short notice for an extended period.
She returned mid-last week and is expecting us to rock up tomorrow evening.

Be nice to see some familiar faces.

I'm shy on plat/archives atm, so I'll leave it to duckfarts or someone to trawl the thread for the details :)

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

TetsuoTW posted:

e: Oh no poo poo, that's from the SCMP? Man, I remember when that paper was good....

It's still probably the best paper in Greater China, unless Taiwan has some surprise good ones I've not heard of. And to be fair the column is by Some loving Guy from HKIEd, which isn't even a university.

Still, since Wang Xiangwei took over it's supposedly gone downhill (he's been in HK way longer than I have so who knows). He's been noticeably cleaning out the gweilos though. White people names really only show up in wealth and finance-related columns now.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Bloodnose posted:

It's still probably the best paper in Greater China, unless Taiwan has some surprise good ones I've not heard of.

Uh maybe you haven't heard of a little paper called The China Post which has an amazing copy-edit department which totally doesn't let two people who have only worked there a month handle copy-editing the entire paper on a weekday? Don't read Tuesday's edition. I actually like my new job a lot.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You work at a newspaper now Moon?

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer

Ravendas posted:

Good luck with that. Remember that if you need more books, just take a pdf to a print shop and you can get it printed (black and white) and soft bound for like 1nt/double sided page. I ran 4e a few years ago, then got annoyed with the system and changed my group over to 2e. Ran that for a few years, ending it a few months back because I'm leaving Taiwan finally.

Yeah I was just going to print off character sheets and anything necessary at 7-11. Otherwise I'm just using the rules compendium on an ipad and a notebook with campaign notes. Still working on making the maps out of whatever I can scrounge up.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
You may already know it, but a print shop might be a better choice than 7-11 for some things. Okay, you'd be splitting hairs over NT$1 a page versus NT$2, but as Ravendas mentioned, those print shops can bind stuff as well. I always preferred it much more to printing off stuff at 7-11. If you're near NCKU in Tainan, basically all of Shengli Rd. (near the Dasyue Rd. intersection) is littered with these print shops.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Oh. My. Zeus. posted:

Yeah I was just going to print off character sheets and anything necessary at 7-11. Otherwise I'm just using the rules compendium on an ipad and a notebook with campaign notes. Still working on making the maps out of whatever I can scrounge up.

I use this website to make grid paper: http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/

I use one size for dungeons and such, and another size for world/area map types where I need precise dimensions for zooming in. Then I sleeve them and slide them in a binder for easy lookup.

Just make the pdf's and go print them at a copy shop.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
http://roll20.net/

Check this out. It's an online implementation of DnD, it lets you make virtual maps and tokens for all of your characters and monsters and run the tabletop portion of the session over a net connection if you have to. Super useful if someone's going to be absent for a game but still wants to play remotely. Takes a bit of time to set up, but is totally awesome once you get going.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You can ask the Korean goons, they have a secret DnD kakao group. With google hangouts you guys can do live casting too!

But according to Bloodnose, That's just wrong and is against the spirit of RPG. Rolling actual dice creates tension and through this tension, a sense of accomplishment. Using an app, pressing a button, or some random generator just isn't the same. That's why it's time to use game science dice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2FZoc6HEcg

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

caberham posted:

You work at a newspaper now Moon?

Yeah I got a job copy-editing at The China Post. It's interesting work and I'm glad to get out of the English-teaching game. Definitely not as much free time now, though.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Okies poker details:

Zhongshan N Rd. Section 2, Alley 115 No. 15
中山北路二段115巷15號

Name of the place is 川娃子

If you Google Maps the address it will show the proper place, more or less. There's a big red and white sign with 川娃子 on it out front. If you're going north on Zhongshan Rd, take a right at the tiny alley in front of Mr. Onion and it's just a bit down that alley. Prepare to buy-in for at least 100NT. Beer and food are available for non-exorbitant prices. My number is 0970229902 if yo get lost/need me to LINE you a location.

This:

will be parked out front :)

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

caberham posted:

You can ask the Korean goons, they have a secret DnD kakao group. With google hangouts you guys can do live casting too!

But according to Bloodnose, That's just wrong and is against the spirit of RPG. Rolling actual dice creates tension and through this tension, a sense of accomplishment. Using an app, pressing a button, or some random generator just isn't the same. That's why it's time to use game science dice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2FZoc6HEcg

My favorite part is his disdain for those other dice from Taiwan.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Spanish Matlock posted:

http://roll20.net/

Check this out. It's an online implementation of DnD, it lets you make virtual maps and tokens for all of your characters and monsters and run the tabletop portion of the session over a net connection if you have to. Super useful if someone's going to be absent for a game but still wants to play remotely. Takes a bit of time to set up, but is totally awesome once you get going.

We used it and it worked well, but even with that it was near impossible to get people to actually 'show up'. Even when we all lived in Seoul, but this is the same place where a 20 minute subway ride is a long way.

Hopefully you guys have more fortitude than us. It's a nice system.

Is there any scuba programs in Taiwan worthwhile? I was looking at Bali or Thailand, but i kind of just want to go back to Taiwan.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I am really tempted to end up in Taipei from the 6th to the 18th. Anyone gonna be around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

url posted:

Okies poker details:

Shenme shihou?