Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

awesome-express posted:

Went to an Apple store to pick up the new 13" rMBP with a 256 gig ssd and 8gb ram. Genius dude told me they didn't have any at their store, and that all these models have been recalled because apparently there's a fault with the trackpad. Was he talking out of his rear end? Since he advised me to just order one online. Wtf.

Might be talking about this:
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/30/apple-preparing-update-for-unresponsive-keyboardtrackpad-issue-in-new-13-inch-retina-macbook-pro/

(so both "yes" and "no" on the "talking out his rear end" front)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
Probably recalling store models for a firmware / software update. Not a big deal.

Unless of course it's a hardware thing.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
All my local stores are out of the mid 13 too.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I am seeing the big lag spikes on my Haswell 13" MBA and the older generation Airport Express as a wireless bridge to my Buffalo gigabit router on the 5GHz band. No packet loss either. I plugged in via my Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit adapter and everything was sub 0.5ms like it should be.

Edit: terminal output

Terminal posted:

ping 192.168.2.1
PING 192.168.2.1 (192.168.2.1): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=86.550 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=1.699 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=1.739 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=155.778 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=1.723 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=1.147 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=6 ttl=64 time=0.943 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=7 ttl=64 time=0.982 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=8 ttl=64 time=66.736 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=9 ttl=64 time=295.130 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=10 ttl=64 time=0.959 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=11 ttl=64 time=135.603 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=12 ttl=64 time=57.956 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=13 ttl=64 time=0.989 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=14 ttl=64 time=1.133 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=15 ttl=64 time=127.457 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=16 ttl=64 time=46.945 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=17 ttl=64 time=241.970 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=18 ttl=64 time=195.838 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=19 ttl=64 time=116.600 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=20 ttl=64 time=35.853 ms
^C
--- 192.168.2.1 ping statistics ---
21 packets transmitted, 21 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.943/74.940/295.130/86.568 ms

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 1, 2013

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is it just me or is the command key in a really uncomfortable/unergonomic location considering its an extremely common modifier key in OS X.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
I think, just like the windows key, it's forced there out of necessity. Keyboards need to be predictable, all the other modifier keys (alt, control, shift) are down there in a convenient location, there's not much room to work with. I can't think of a better place for it really.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Considering it's right where Alt is on Windows keyboards it's not bad. Just move your left thumb from the space bar rather than trying to move a different finger down. BeOS actually used Alt instead of Control for keyboard shortcuts so it's not without precedent, either.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Shaocaholica posted:

Is it just me or is the command key in a really uncomfortable/unergonomic location considering its an extremely common modifier key in OS X.

I spent years on Macs and it felt totally natural. When I switched to Windows for the better part of a decade, I got acclimated and that felt natural. Going to back to Macs took another period of adjustment, but it feels completely comfortable now.

What's unergonomic about a large button right next to the spacebar? I have to tuck my thumb a bit but I don't have to contort my wrist like with alt+f4.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
But you don't get to Vulcan Mind Meld when you have to force quit apps in OSX.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Shaocaholica posted:

It feels perfectly natural to me on a laptop but it feels weird on a desktop. This is okay with me since I only use Mac laptops. Just use your thumb; I actually prefer it to Windows laptops.

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!
What's very annoying is that the CMD key is used in Safari for opening and closing tabs, but to switch between tabs you need to use the CTRL key. It always screws me up because I expect consistency. I also work on Windows systems half the time too, so that may play a role in my expectations but it still gets frustrating as hell.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Fiki posted:

What's very annoying is that the CMD key is used in Safari for opening and closing tabs, but to switch between tabs you need to use the CTRL key. It always screws me up because I expect consistency. I also work on Windows systems half the time too, so that may play a role in my expectations but it still gets frustrating as hell.

Safari is just weird. The undo key re-opens a tab? Dumb!

eames
May 9, 2009

Quick PSA for those who might be interested in using an external GPU via Thunderbolt 2 with the internal display in the future, you likely won’t be able to do this if you order the 15" rMBP with the built in 750m.
It should work fine with the Iris Pro-only 15". Apparently the built in proprietary Apple GPU switching breaks Optimus because you can’t boot windows without the 750m enabled.

I would love to be able to use the rMBP for work all day without having worry about the 750m activating and draining battery life for no reason, then go home and plug in an external GTX 780, boot windows and play the latest games at 2880x1800, ultra details and 60 fps.

All of this would be possible from a technology standpoint. Thunderbolt 2 is almost equal to PCIe x16, so any external GPU should perform roughly the same as an internal version (or maybe ~10% slower). Silverstone has an enclosure with the TB2 <-> PCIe ready to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYJoO4fAuho

The only problem is that Intel refuses to license/certify these types of devices because if everybody could buy an external GPU, not that many people would care about upgrading from GT3e anymore. The few companies that tried to get an external Thunderbolt GPU solution on the market were sued and forced to recall their products.

Silverstone still says that their solution will be available next year. We will see about that. :shrug:

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Hmm, a PC world near me has the 13" mid rmbpro. Is the malfunctioning keyboard/trackpad issue fixable via software update? Or is it a hardware bug?

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

awesome-express posted:

Hmm, a PC world near me has the 13" mid rmbpro. Is the malfunctioning keyboard/trackpad issue fixable via software update? Or is it a hardware bug?

nobody knows yet, but it looks like it's going to be a fix via software update.

either way, it's rare. I've only seen it twice in a week of having it now, and the workaround is easy to do

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Best Buy has a 2-day sale going on right now.
All Macbook Airs are $100 off.
13" MBP (non-retina) 8gb version is $250 off.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Bob Morales posted:

Safari is just weird. The undo key re-opens a tab? Dumb!

Truly, who would expect undo to undo your last action?

Also, command-shift-arrow key will also switch tabs if you prefer involving the command key.

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam
I'm looking to get a rMBP, and I'm skeptical about running modern screens at non-native resolutions. Can someone explain to me why, for the 13" model with 2560x1600, none of the supported scaled resolutions is 1280x800, which would be a simple pixel doubling/quadrupling? That would be the one resolution I wouldn't be skeptical about. I'm looking at this link: http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro

quote:

Native resolution: 2560 by 1600 pixels (Retina); scaled resolutions: 1680 by 1050, 1440 by 900, and 1024 by 640 pixels

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

busfahrer posted:

I'm looking to get a rMBP, and I'm skeptical about running modern screens at non-native resolutions. Can someone explain to me why, for the 13" model with 2560x1600, none of the supported scaled resolutions is 1280x800, which would be a simple pixel doubling/quadrupling? That would be the one resolution I wouldn't be skeptical about. I'm looking at this link: http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro

You can run whatever the gently caress resolution you want with stuff like QuickRes. Running 1280x800 would be dumb when you can run it that mode when you are 'Best for Retina'

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Choadmaster posted:

Truly, who would expect undo to undo your last action?

Well poo poo happens like when you're typing etc

eames
May 9, 2009

busfahrer posted:

The rMBPs render the picture at double the scaled resolution (3360 by 2100, 2880 by 1800 and 2048 by 1280) and then scale it down to 2560 by 1600.
I’m not sure what it does in the case of 1024, but chances are that you are legally blind if you use that resolution, so you probably won’t care anyway.

That’s why it looks perfectly sharp at any of the seemingly odd resolutions. I’d imagine "native" 1280x800 would look quite bad in comparison.

here, read this: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6023/the-nextgen-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-review/6

//e: oh, I just read it myself and it looks like I’m wrong and missed the point.

quote:

In the default “best for Retina Display” setting, the desktop, menu bar, icons and Finder windows are drawn at 2880 x 1800, but they are drawn larger than they would normally be at 2880. Apple draws everything at 4x the size to make the desktop behave exactly as it would on a 15.4-inch 1440 x 900 display - this is the backing scale factor (2.0) at work. This approach provides the best image quality as there’s integer mapping from pixels on the panel to pixels on the desktop. No interpolation or filtering is necessary.

eames fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 1, 2013

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

busfahrer posted:

2560 x 1600 scaled down to 1280 x 800 actually is the default/native resolution on the 13" rMBP, just as 2880 x 1800 scaled down to 1440 x 900 is on the 15". Apple just lists the specs in a weird way and only lists the non-integer scaling resolutions as "scaled".

The screens look fantastic at those resolutions, but it's not a lot of screen real estate. The non-integer scaled resolutions still look very good, even if it's not quite as sharp.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

busfahrer posted:

As others have said, when Apple says "2560 by 1600 pixels (Retina)" they mean EXACTLY what you said: "1280x800, which would be a simple pixel doubling/quadrupling." Not exactly clear, I'll grant you. In fact, IIRC you can't even do native 2560 x 1600 without one of the aforementioned resolution-control apps.

Bob Morales posted:

Well poo poo happens like when you're typing etc

You have to be opening/closing tabs in the middle of typing into a text box to run into that. Not saying it's not annoying, but I run into that far less often than mis-closing a tab. And really that's an issue with them not constraining the undo stack to each individual text field while you're in that text field - you get the same annoying behavior if you're typing, switch to another tab and type something there, then switch back. The undo manager just can't handle multiple tabs straightforwardly.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Some nice 2012 15" rMBPs in SA-Mart right now:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3576600
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3577570

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Do the old power cords with the slender connector work on the rMBP that come with the power cords with the block-ish connector?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you mean the right-angle MagSafe I believe they only came in a version 1 flavour, MagSafe 2 is thinner. There's adaptors available, you might get one in the box.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

How come they went back to the straight connectors again? I liked the right angle one...

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Shaocaholica posted:

Remap the useless Caps Lock key to command in the Keyboards perf pane. :getin:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Posted in the software thread, cross posting cause it involves hardware:
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/31/western-digital-warns-external-hard-drive-customers-over-mavericks-data-loss/

quote:

As a valued WD customer we want to make you aware of new reports of Western Digital and other external HDD products experiencing data loss when updating to Apple's OS X Mavericks (10.9). WD is urgently investigating these reports and the possible connection to the WD Drive Manager, WD Raid Manager and WD SmartWare software applications. Until the issue is understood and the cause identified, WD strongly urges our customers to uninstall these software applications before updating to OS X Mavericks (10.9), or delay upgrading. If you have already upgraded to Mavericks, WD recommends that you remove these applications and restart your computer.

The WD Drive Manager, WD Raid Manager, and WD SmartWare software applications are not new and have been available from WD for many years, however solely as a precaution WD has removed these applications from our website as we investigate this issue.
And according to the post it could affect other non WD drives too.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

japtor posted:

And according to the post it could affect other non WD drives too.

Translation: "We couldn't be bothered to update the crapware that comes with our drives and is the first thing any sane person deletes immediately after purchase, because we lost the source code. Therefore please uninstall it if you haven't already, thank you."

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

BobHoward posted:

Remap the useless Caps Lock key to command in the Keyboards perf pane. :getin:

Caps lock is for macros. :smug:

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Speaking of which: any UK goons managed to milk the Sales of Goods Act? How did it go?

My soon to be ebayed machine suffers from the following:

- Randomly disconnecting USB external hard drives
- One RAM slot is broken
- Battery capacity under 50% ("service battery")

Little update on this: Just came back from the fruit stand, and they took it in for a logic board replacement with minimal fuss :hellyeah::hf::britain:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Tossing the oh-ten iMac on Wednesday for a new 3.4 i5. Any known issues I should watch out for?

edit: no computer of mine is ever going to have no goddamn shared video memory, and I am in fact dropping an extra couple of bills for the GTX 780M.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 3, 2013

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
No dedicated video card.

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem
I'm biting the bullet and finally getting an rMBP, most likely the mid-tier 13-inch. Is it worth it to make the upgrade to either 2.6GHz or 16GB RAM if I'm using it for some coding and some light gaming? Which is more important if I only choose one?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
The 16 GB of RAM upgrade is more important. You can't run out of CPU.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

TransatlanticFoe posted:

I'm biting the bullet and finally getting an rMBP, most likely the mid-tier 13-inch. Is it worth it to make the upgrade to either 2.6GHz or 16GB RAM if I'm using it for some coding and some light gaming? Which is more important if I only choose one?

I'd say neither. If you're not really going to be doing anything that will make use of the performance, why bother? RAM is something where if you don't have enough, you're going to notice, but after that point you won't notice it and it will go to waste.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What practical applications do 16GB of RAM in a 13" have anyway? Games don't utilize that much and I thought things like video editing held files on the disk.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

PRADA SLUT posted:

What practical applications do 16GB of RAM in a 13" have anyway? Games don't utilize that much and I thought things like video editing held files on the disk.

Video editing software surely caches as much data in RAM as possible -- or the operating system's page cache does.

Running a virtual machine or two with "elbow room" is much more comfortable with 16 GB. Not necessarily necessary. It depends on what you're doing.

Compiling and linking Firefox (or was it Chromium? I forget) required over 8 GB of memory at some point, maybe it still does. And sometimes when compiling certain C++ projects each compilation process takes like 1, 2, even 3 GB of memory, and you run out if you've parallelized the build process 4 ways, which is what you'd want to do on a hyperthreaded dual-core CPU.

Say you've got a log file. Suppose it's 10 GB. You open it in a text editor. What happens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

shrughes posted:

Say you've got a log file. Suppose it's 10 GB. You open it in a text editor. What happens?

The text file opens, Mavericks will compress as much memory as possible and might have swap to the 800 MB/s PCIe-SSD.

(What does this have to do with the use-case that TransatlanticFoe described?)