Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Five Spice
Nov 20, 2007

By your powers combined...

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'm looking for a long lasting dairy delivery method for my coffee at work. I've tried bringing a small coffee cream package and keep it in the company fridge, but it gets pilfered by coworkers (apparently they drink it black but if I bring cream they'll use it) so I've been thinking about powdered creamer that I can keep in my desk drawer instead. Is there any such product that is not vile?

Could you make your own perhaps from milk powder?

I actually was looking at whole milk powder on Amazon the other day, and a lot of the reviews mentioned using it in coffee:

http://www.amazon.com/Peak-Whole-Milk-Powder-900-Grams/dp/B004K0862K

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Hello old friends,

So I'm flying out to Boulder for a weekend right before Thanksgiving. I've never stepped foot in Colorado before. Where should I eat? I'll have transportation and such.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

https://www.amazon.com/Land-OLakes-Mini-Moos-Half/dp/B003S6ONQA/

The half and half in the little sealed containers stays fresh without refrigeration. You can usually find them at the supermarket.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Gonna roast me a chicken this weekend. Normally I've done keller's brine from ad hoc and cooked it that way but his ingredient list for the brine seems pretty ridiculous.

Anyone got suggestions for an easier brine?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

nwin posted:

Gonna roast me a chicken this weekend. Normally I've done keller's brine from ad hoc and cooked it that way but his ingredient list for the brine seems pretty ridiculous.

1. Salt
2. Water

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Turkeybone posted:

Hello old friends,

So I'm flying out to Boulder for a weekend right before Thanksgiving. I've never stepped foot in Colorado before. Where should I eat? I'll have transportation and such.
I could give pointers in Denver, not so much boulder. All I can say is avoid black cat grille in boulder, appetizers were actually pretty good but holy poo poo the entrees were mediocre to bad and the desserts were worse. For a place that grows their own produce, raises their own meat, etc, etc. the place was horrendously disappointing.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

nwin posted:

Per gallon of cold water, I like 1c kosher salt, and 3/4c of brown sugar--dissolved in about two cups of (additional) hot water first.

To the hot water you can add whatever kind of flavorings float your boat--peppercorns, bay leaves, ginger, orange peel, any herbs--whatever. Pick a couple flavors you want to highlight. I like to let them steep in the hot water for a little while before mixing with the cold water, so the flavors come out. Cut out the sugar entirely and use a gallon of apple cider instead of water if you want something a little fruitier and different. Use maple syrup instead of sugar and pair it up with peppercorns and orange peel. Or use honey and pair it with ginger and orange peel. Do a traditional bird and use the Simon and Garfunkel herbs.

Brines cam be as simple or as complicated as you want them to be, but even if you just stick to water, salt, and a sugar product, your bird will still be delicious.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

^Thanks Alistair.

Casu Marzu posted:

1. Salt
2. Water

That's loving awesome. Is that a pound of salt to 1/4 cup of water or what?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

^Thanks Alistair.

That's loving awesome. Is that a pound of salt to 1/4 cup of water or what?

Clearly you misread the instructions

It's 1 lb of salt to 1 teaspoon of water.

Senior Scarybagels fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 1, 2013

Behold! A Elk!
May 12, 2009
I was doing some shopping today and I noticed something strange. Does anyone know why every shape of pasta has 16oz of pasta in the standard box but farfalle only has 12oz for most of the major brands? The only theory I have is that maybe there is a more complicated process involved in making farfalle and that's how they even up the costs.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Behold! A Elk! posted:

I was doing some shopping today and I noticed something strange. Does anyone know why every shape of pasta has 16oz of pasta in the standard box but farfalle only has 12oz for most of the major brands? The only theory I have is that maybe there is a more complicated process involved in making farfalle and that's how they even up the costs.

Really? I seem to remember farfalle being the same weight as regular pasta, but the tri-color rotini being 12oz. But maybe I'm not remembering right. I really do love farfalle though. I admit I usually buy the store brand pasta so maybe that's why?

Edit: I had to go to the store for some medicine so I stopped by the pasta to see and it looks like you were right. The store brand was in 12 oz, but the name-brand (barilla) was in 16 oz, so maybe I've been duped the whole time!

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 1, 2013

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
I want to make Foie Gras Royale.

Does anyone know if using canned foie versus lobes will impact the results?

Also there seems to be dozen variations, does anyone have a particular recipe they recommend? I am looking on that is on the more delicate side.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Five Spice posted:

I actually was looking at whole milk powder on Amazon the other day, and a lot of the reviews mentioned using it in coffee:

http://www.amazon.com/Peak-Whole-Milk-Powder-900-Grams/dp/B004K0862K

This looks like the best solution yeah, thanks I'll go looking for some of that.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Turkeybone posted:

Hello old friends,

The long pig out in boulder is pretty good. Free range, sustainable and usually fed an organic diet.

Best part is, most of it comes already smoked. Might be difficult to find a place that serves it, though.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm categorizing some recipes in an app and need some help on their taxonomy. I'm trying to keep things accurate but not too overly specific.

Pancakes: Griddle cakes?

Dutch Babies aren't really griddle cakes because they're baked. Is there something that covers pancakes, crepes, and Dutch babies, or are Dutch babies in some other category with things like popovers?

Is a lasagna a casserole?

Are tortillas a bread? I don't feel like it they're a bread, but I could be wrong. Are they in the same category as something like dumplings? Are dumplings in their own category, like biscuits, or can they be breads?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah, lasagna is a casserole.

Tortillas are bread.

Dumplings, I would classify more as a pasta.

Biscuits are bread.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I would say tortillas are a flatbread, yes. Unleavened flatbread, like matzo, lavash, and roti. (note, this makes tacos a sandwich)

pancakes are quick breads. biscuits are also quick breads. One can tell by the use of baking soda/powder as leavening.

lasagna is a casserole.

Dumplings are not breads nor sandwiches. The wrapper was never intended to be eaten by itself, and in some cases isn't even eaten at all.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

What about chicken and "dumplings"? I would argue those dumplings qualify as quick breads. Then you have steamed dumplings, which in some degenerate forms have no filling so are closer to yeast bread while still being derived from dumplings. I guess what I'm arguing is that there is always a food you can go say "yeah but..." when you try to categorize things.

So I would say tortillas are dumplings (since a lot of the time we fill them)
Lasagna would then obviously be a large dumpling, since it's a wrapper filled with stuff, but the topology is different from classical dumplings.

Just eat more dumplings I guess.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
How do I make mustard greens tasty? I tried cooking them last night with red onions and it just came out really bitter. I cooked them in a skillet using olive oil, cooking them until they wilted, but they still came out pretty drat nasty.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

You gotta cook hardy greens longer. Also use acid.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

You gotta cook hardy greens longer. Also use acid.

When you're watching your shadow melt upward off the ground and become a laughing fire hydrant that's shooting rainbows into a bleeding unicorn-wolf, mustard greens just taste better?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Dutch Babies are popovers then?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Yes Dutch babies are popovers

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Eeyo posted:

What about chicken and "dumplings"? I would argue those dumplings qualify as quick breads. Then you have steamed dumplings, which in some degenerate forms have no filling so are closer to yeast bread while still being derived from dumplings. I guess what I'm arguing is that there is always a food you can go say "yeah but..." when you try to categorize things.

So I would say tortillas are dumplings (since a lot of the time we fill them)
Lasagna would then obviously be a large dumpling, since it's a wrapper filled with stuff, but the topology is different from classical dumplings.

Just eat more dumplings I guess.

Dumplings are filled raw then cooked which tortillas are not. Tortillas are also eaten as a side accompanying dishes like a bread. They are most certainly flatbreads not dumplings.

Dumplings are also enclosed. Wherein I can see the argument of a coordinate transform for sandwiches to wraps, one of the traits of dumplings is the full enclosure and since there is no such thing as an infinite lasagna, one cannot make the transform from spherical to Cartesian so lasagna is not a dumpling.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 1, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But once you fry a tortilla and make a taco with it it becomes a sandwich.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Drifter posted:

When you're watching your shadow melt upward off the ground and become a laughing fire hydrant that's shooting rainbows into a bleeding unicorn-wolf, mustard greens just taste better?

I just snorted out loud in a meeting.

Also, someone answer my question about Foie, please.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Now that I have a good cast iron pan I am definitely making a dutch baby tomorrow morning

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Was PRADA SLUT referring to dumplings as in the filled kind, like gyoza, or in the "chicken and dumplings" kind, which are basically strips of dough? I assumed the latter, which is why I lumped them in with pasta.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Dumplings are filled raw then cooked which tortillas are not. Tortillas are also eaten as a side accompanying dishes like a bread. They are most certainly flatbreads not dumplings.

Dumplings are also enclosed. Wherein I can see the argument of a coordinate transform for sandwiches to wraps, one of the traits of dumplings is the full enclosure and since there is no such thing as an infinite lasagna, one cannot make the transform from spherical to Cartesian so lasagna is not a dumpling.

They're not talking about Asian filled dumplings. They're talking about Southern throw-it-in-some-soup dumplings. The sort that are just dough, and which get flavor by absorbing broth. Those are probably a quickbread.

E: :argh:

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

I have two sheet pans worth of pumpkin seeds, ive dried them for 24 hrs but I wanted to ask if anyone has a good recipe/method for roasted pumpkin seeds before i give it a go. The last time I tried making some they were just dissapointing.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Toss them with sesame oil and sea salt, and whatever spices suit your fancy. Toast in the oven at 300 until they just start to brown.

This year I did cinnamon, cloves, allspice, and paprika on my pumpkin seeds and they are awesome.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I found chicken livers and want to make pate. Anyone have a good recipe?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I like to think that they were in between the couch cushions or under the bed. :) I've always seen them in the normal grocery store, but never tried them.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

I found chicken livers and want to make pate. Anyone have a good recipe?

http://www.gourmet.com/recipes/diaryofafoodie/2007/01/chicken_faux_gras

http://frombellytobacon.com/2010/08/20/charcuterie-chicken-liver-mousse/

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2013/01/chicken-liver-pate-recipe-schmaltz-michael-ruhlman/

http://smithratliff.com/2012/03/26/julia-childs-chicken-liver-mousse/

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 2, 2013

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What are some good ideas for a non-traditional thanksgiving meal? I'd like to stray away from turkey/goose/duck. Birds in general and see if I can't "wow" some people with something different this time around.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
An amazing leg of lamb?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Make green bean casserole but make it with fresh beans, mushroom béchamel, and deep fried onion rings.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Volume posted:

What are some good ideas for a non-traditional thanksgiving meal? I'd like to stray away from turkey/goose/duck. Birds in general and see if I can't "wow" some people with something different this time around.

By far the best Thanksgiving I've had was a big pile of Indian food.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Volume posted:

http://woodsidekitchen.wordpress.com/2013/01/09/river-cafes-slow-roasted-shoulder-of-pork/

This is great. Adjust cooking time based on weight and if its bone in though. Do it for less people with a standard pork shoulder/butt that doesn't take as long to cook first for practice though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Scott Bakula posted:

http://woodsidekitchen.wordpress.com/2013/01/09/river-cafes-slow-roasted-shoulder-of-pork/

This is great. Adjust cooking time based on weight and if its bone in though. Do it for less people with a standard pork shoulder/butt that doesn't take as long to cook first for practice though

Oh, that reminds me, you should do a porchetta. Now that is an impressive hunk of meat to place on a Thanksgiving/Christmas dinner table.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pork-recipes/gennaro-s-stuffed-porchetta

edit: or this one http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/12/the-food-lab-how-to-make-all-belly-porchetta-the-ultimate-holiday-roast-italian-roast-pork.html

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 3, 2013