Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WienerDog posted:

Not anymore. All plans (post-paid anyway) will give you LTE now. I've never come across a grandfathered plan that couldn't access LTE, even old BIS and BES plans.

Oh poo poo, really? I guess I should just try it first, then call them if there is a problem. At the very least I'll still have the 3G/4G on my plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm getting a Nexus 5, upgrading from a Galaxy Nexus. Is there anything I need to do to enable LTE on my Rogers account? I have the 6GB/$30 plan from years ago.

You'll need an LTE SIM which are basically all of them now. Just make sure to buy a SIM instead of cutting your current (likely non LTE

Your plan should be fine too, I have the old grandfathered plan with no issue

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Godinster posted:

You'll need an LTE SIM which are basically all of them now. Just make sure to buy a SIM instead of cutting your current (likely non LTE

Your plan should be fine too, I have the old grandfathered plan with no issue

I didn't even know the SIM would be different, that's why I'm here, thank you!

Seeing as the Canadian Google Play store is extremely sold out and there is a rumour Rogers stores might be getting the Nexus 5 in, I maybe just pick one up there instead as it would likely be way faster.

vvvv Of course they're not :( gently caress carriers. I'll wait for the Google store stock I guess.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 1, 2013

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Carriers most likely won't be selling the Nexus 5 for $349 off-contract, the current rumor is $500. If you want the Google price you'll probably have to buy via the Play Store.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Telus' bid to buy Mobilicity was rejected, again.

Christ, would T-Mobile please buy Mobilicity? This poo poo is ridiculous. And despite their ridiculously cheap plans, Mobilicity is losing 5,200 subscribers per month, down below 200,000.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

eXXon posted:

Telus' bid to buy Mobilicity was rejected, again.

Christ, would T-Mobile please buy Mobilicity? This poo poo is ridiculous. And despite their ridiculously cheap plans, Mobilicity is losing 5,200 subscribers per month, down below 200,000.

Slow down there comrade! You wouldn't sell our water to those filthy yanks, you can't possibly want to sell our precious electromagnetic waves!

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

CLAM DOWN posted:

I didn't even know the SIM would be different, that's why I'm here, thank you!

Seeing as the Canadian Google Play store is extremely sold out and there is a rumour Rogers stores might be getting the Nexus 5 in, I maybe just pick one up there instead as it would likely be way faster.

vvvv Of course they're not :( gently caress carriers. I'll wait for the Google store stock I guess.

The store keeps getting more stock, just check back after a few minutes until it shows up as available. You're looking at 3-4 weeks now before it arrives though.

Mr. Zour
Aug 1, 2006
Ummm so I feel like I have screwed myself by insisting that American Express is good enough because I now can't get the nexus 5 at the google store. I reserved one from Fido instead, anyone know how long before Fido will get these? I'm pretty close to the front of the line...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zarkov Cortez posted:

The store keeps getting more stock, just check back after a few minutes until it shows up as available. You're looking at 3-4 weeks now before it arrives though.

I'm refreshing every 10-15min or so, I don't mind if it takes a month as I'm sure not paying a carrier $150 more.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I impulse bought one around noon today. I just kept clicking between black/white/16gb/32gb for a few minutes. The white one showed up in stock a couple of times, when I clicked on it it took me to the cart but then said my cart was empty. Eventually the black 16gig one showed up and I was able to get through the purchase process.

I didn't have to keep refreshing the page, just clicking between the options within the page itself. Though if you are really set on a particular colour/size I guess you'd have to do the refreshing thing.

Also, they were literally in stock for seconds at a time. I had it show up in stock, then changed to another option then back and it was gone.

Hardtarget
Mar 28, 2010

Rolls on Shabbos
Snagged a Nexus 5 this afternoon when stock magically re-appeared, I'm in the "ships by nov 8th" group so pretty happy

With that said we're hoping to get a Nexus 4 for my wife, anybody know of any Canadian shops still selling those guys?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Happened to refresh the Play store at the right time, and I have a 32GB black on order now! I'm very happy I won't be paying the ripoff $500 Canadian carrier price for the 16 GB.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Yeah they have stock right now, thanks for the heads up.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Happened to refresh the Play store at the right time, and I have a 32GB black on order now! I'm very happy I won't be paying the ripoff $500 Canadian carrier price for the 16 GB.

They are such cheeky bastards charging $500 for something with a retail price of $350 elsewhere.

I guess that's one way to get around device subsidy paybacks not being punitive enough to discourage churn - make the 'subsidy' a stupidly high, unrealistic amount that does not represent the device cost!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I was going to post that after tax and shipping the 32gb isn't that much cheaper than from Rogers but holy poo poo that is for the 16gb????

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Eej posted:

but holy poo poo that is for the 16gb????

Yup! God bless Canada.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

The shipping "info" for mine went from 3-4 weeks yesterday to 2-3 weeks, but no specific date.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
To be a little fair to our carriers pretty much no one else sells Nexus devices at the Play Store price, not in the US either. Google is at best breaking even selling them for $350.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

So there was a little bit of talk about maybe being able to get out of our contracts because of Bell's new (invading your) privacy policy. Any chance that's something that's doable?

I'm guessing that the opt-out they have gives them a bit of an out. They will probably be collecting and using all this data on everyone and simply not serving targeted ads to those who object, right? Language allowing them to collect data on me is probably already in the original agreement I signed, so I'm guessing I'm out of luck. Collecting and analyzing URLs and search terms is not something I'm crazy about though.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

odiv posted:

So there was a little bit of talk about maybe being able to get out of our contracts because of Bell's new (invading your) privacy policy. Any chance that's something that's doable?

I'm guessing that the opt-out they have gives them a bit of an out. They will probably be collecting and using all this data on everyone and simply not serving targeted ads to those who object, right? Language allowing them to collect data on me is probably already in the original agreement I signed, so I'm guessing I'm out of luck. Collecting and analyzing URLs and search terms is not something I'm crazy about though.

If there was any hope of people using this to get out of their contracts and never recover the money the spent on subsidizing phones, then Bell never would have done this.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

That's a good point. My contract is almost over so I could switch providers, but everyone probably is going to be doing this poo poo anyway, right?

Telus just became available up here, so I might drop by and see what they have going on.

I already have access to a VPN service, so I might try to set it up to be always on on my Android phone for cell data. I wonder if that would add a lot of overhead / connection time.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I know this is wishful thinking dialled up to 11, but is there any possibility of using this sort of thing (on my latest Rogers statement) to get out of a contract? Mainly curious...

Rogers posted:

CORRECTION: IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT INCREASED US & INTERNATIONAL TEXT MESSAGE
RATES (effective date of September 17, 2013 was originally stated)
Effective December 9, 2013, the pay-per-use rate for wireless text messages** sent while in Canada will increase from $0.25 to $0.40/text* to a US wireless number and $0.35 to $0.40/text* to an International wireless number. Incoming texts remain $0.25/message*. Additional wireless text messages** sent from Canada to a US or International wireless numbers above the number included in your value pack or text messaging add-on will increase from $0.25 to $0.40/additional text*. Incoming
text messages received while in Canada will continue to be included in your price plan or add-on at no added charge. All
other aspects of your text messaging service will remain the same. To find out more or if you have any questions please contact business care or your Rogers Business account manager. If you wish to respond to this notice, please contact us in any way listed on page 2 of this invoice. Thank you. *Plus applicable taxes. **Excludes premium text messages.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

My 2-3 week shipping just turned into shipped today :)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zarkov Cortez posted:

My 4-5 week shipping just turned into 1-2 week today. I have no idea what is actually happening but I have a feeling it will ship sooner rather than later!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I ordered late on Thursday and I had 3-4 week shipping turn to 2-3 week shipping into "shipped" on Sunday (dated Monday, Nov 4th). Current estimated delivery time to Burnaby is Nov 12th so that's roughly where you'd be looking at for shipping time if it went out now.

Hardtarget
Mar 28, 2010

Rolls on Shabbos
yikes, my order shipped a couple days ago but won't actually get to Vancouver until next Tuesday! :( Stupid crappy shipping to western Canada.

In related news my Caseology Slim Fit case that some of us got in on when it was $5 bucks off finally shipped today!... it won't get here until anywhere from "November 12th - 20th"
:(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hardtarget posted:

In related news my Caseology Slim Fit case that some of us got in on when it was $5 bucks off finally shipped today!... it won't get here until anywhere from "November 12th - 20th"
:(

Hah, I got that same one that shipped today, have a Diztronic coming too.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Lexicon posted:

I know this is wishful thinking dialled up to 11, but is there any possibility of using this sort of thing (on my latest Rogers statement) to get out of a contract? Mainly curious...

Nope. Think about why they are doing this: their costs are going up and need to make more money to maintain their status quo. Implementing a policy that allows you to ditch them without recovering the money they spent to make you a customer is the opposite of what they want. Roger's lawyers would have gone over the legal ramifications of this with a fine toothed comb.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

OilSlick posted:

Nope. Think about why they are doing this: their costs are going up and need to make more money to maintain their status quo. Implementing a policy that allows you to ditch them without recovering the money they spent to make you a customer is the opposite of what they want. Roger's lawyers would have gone over the legal ramifications of this with a fine toothed comb.

I'm sure you're correct, but how does it not qualify as a material change to the contract I agreed to?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Lexicon posted:

I'm sure you're correct, but how does it not qualify as a material change to the contract I agreed to?

A million years ago, when I worked for them, this kind of thing did allow users to cancel with no charge. I can't vouch for the way they work now, mind.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Lexicon posted:

With enough hours spent on the phone arguing with managers and their managers you might be able to convince them to cancel your contract. Otherwise you'll have to take them to court and argue your case. Depends how much you care.

OilSlick posted:

I think it's not in one's best interest to assume that everything Rogers does is on the up and up, whether their lawyers think they can get away with this or not. They are most likely betting that people won't bother to do anything about this.

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 6, 2013

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I noticed my Nexus 5 tracking says it's coming from the US via UPS. I sure hope UPS isn't going to hit me with their crazy brokerage fees :ohdear:

Hardtarget
Mar 28, 2010

Rolls on Shabbos

Squibbles posted:

I noticed my Nexus 5 tracking says it's coming from the US via UPS. I sure hope UPS isn't going to hit me with their crazy brokerage fees :ohdear:

they shouldn't, it's ships world ease and you paid taxes to google canada in toronto

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Squibbles posted:

They won't, but they will leave it on your doorstep without notifying you if you're not at home.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Ah good to know. A retailer that actually knows how to handle cross border transactions, how innovative.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

eXXon posted:

They won't, but they will leave it on your doorstep without notifying you if you're not at home.

Will they? I hate that - Amazon stuff does this too. Why would I want my 500$ shipment of electronics left on a bloody doorstep for any opportunist to see?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

lags posted:

Will they? I hate that - Amazon stuff does this too. Why would I want my 500$ shipment of electronics left on a bloody doorstep for any opportunist to see?

Yep. When UPS delivered my N4, they entered the building without buzzing me and dropped it off right in front of my apartment door without any notification. Luckily nobody stole it.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

DarkJC posted:

I think it's not in one's best interest to assume that everything Rogers does is on the up and up, whether their lawyers think they can get away with this or not. They are most likely betting that people won't bother to do anything about this.

I don't think what they're doing is right, but I really don't think this can be exploited to escape a contract, especially since this particular change will affect only a very small amount of people and won't likely make them that much money. If word got out that even one person successfully escaped a contract because of this, then many others would too. Something as rarely used as pay-per-use texting to outside of Canada (especially when it can be done free with iMessage or BBM) seems a strange thing to risk millions of dollars in contracts over.

I'm pretty sure the only thing that they couldn't get away with doing is altering the actual base charge of your rate plan without you requesting a change, like raising a $25 plan to $30. They can raise the price of call display because they can fulfill the obligations of your service without giving you call display. Don't like it? Then don't get it. You can use a phone without call display. Or without texting overseas. You can't have phone service without a base rate plan, though, and that's the one price I've never seen passively raised.

Lexicon posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen the fine print state that they have the right to alter the prices of just about anything. As stated above I've never seen them raise the base rate of a rate plan but that's probably because they'd have a very hard time getting that poo poo to fly in court.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

OilSlick posted:

I don't think what they're doing is right, but I really don't think this can be exploited to escape a contract, especially since this particular change will affect only a very small amount of people and won't likely make them that much money. If word got out that even one person successfully escaped a contract because of this, then many others would too. Something as rarely used as pay-per-use texting to outside of Canada (especially when it can be done free with iMessage or BBM) seems a strange thing to risk millions of dollars in contracts over.

I think you vastly overestimate the competence of the average person in applying nuance of contract law to their cellular service. The majority of Canadians don't even realize that Fido and Rogers are run by the same company.

You're definitely right that they wouldn't do it if the expected value of the decision was negative, even factoring in wildly higher numbers of people complaining/cancelling. But I suspect they are relying more on consumer ignorance than on legal safety or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Hello! So lately I've decided to help my family upgrade their phones. We go to Future Shop, pre-order the iPhone 5S (for their $50 out-of-stock bonus), and then are shocked when the cheapest plan is for $70 ($20 more than what we are currently paying ... for a worse plan when it comes to data).

Suffice to say that since she's exactly 20 days out of contract, there's nothing exactly keeping her tied down to Bell. I was thinking that she'd take her current iPhone 4 to mobilicity, but I don't even know if they're like Wind and therefore don't accept them or what.

Any help? Price really is not an issue. I was considering even moving her to a Nexus 4/5 or similar on a no-contract carrier (which would mean she'd pay the same for buying a phone and less for the plan in the long run). What have other people been doing? Who has sane rates nowadays?

I am sorry if the new Bell rates have already been brought up and someone posted a logical conclusion somewhere. But I glossed this last page and found nothing.