Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Any Information Security Workers, or really anyone involved on the Risk or Technology side of the healthcare industry might be interested in the new HCISPP certification from ISC2.

From the website: https://www.isc2.org/hcispp/default.aspx

quote:

(ISC)²'s new HealthCare Information Security and Privacy Practitioner (HCISPPsm) credential is designed to ensure that practitioners have the foundational knowledge, skills, and abilities to protect and keep vital healthcare information secure. The HCISPP is ideal for individuals who implement, manage, or assess security and privacy controls that address the unique data protection needs of healthcare information.

This thing is so new that it doesn't have scheduled classes yet, but it seems like it would be a good certification to leverage with all the changes going on in the healthcare industry. It also seems like the requirements are lower than a traditional CISSP, so it would probably also make a good entry or middle level certification before tackling the big ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'm wondering if I could get some advice here.

I'm getting really bored at my current job and I've been ramping up my job search because I want more responsibility and more money. I really would love to transition into some sort of position in the renewable energy sector but I don't really know where to start with the skills I have.

I've worked in IT for the last year (basic IT, all I have is a CompTIA A+ cert) and I have a BA in English from several years ago. I was thinking I could try to get into advocacy or something like that, as while I don't have a lot of hard skills, I'm fairly charismatic, I can communicate well and know an absolutely absurd amount of information about energy generation, since it's been a big interest of mine for a long time and I love to yammer on about wind turbines and solar plants and nuclear reactors and poo poo.

But I'm not really sure how I could fit into an organization, what with being an English major and a computer janitor. Any ideas?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I'm about to apply for an engineering position without an engineering degree. I have a science degree in a field completely related to the job but with out an engineering degree (or real experience mind you) am I just wasting my time?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

quote:

I'm not really sure how I could fit into an organization

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I know an absolutely absurd amount of information about energy generation, since it's been a big interest of mine for a long time and I love to yammer on about wind turbines and solar plants and nuclear reactors and poo poo.

answered your own question. Go for it!

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013

CMvan46 fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 13, 2013

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Question for anyone in a Marketing position --
How realistic is a move from technical writing (primarily B2B document edits and help guides) to marketing?
Looking at the job descriptions, and seeing what my company's marketing people do, I am confident I can handle any marketing responsibilities, but I am reluctant to spend a year taking continuing ed. courses just so my resume passes a first review.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

If you're interested in an internal move ask for shadow time with the marketing folks and talk to them about what you're interested in and what you'd like to learn. We even do long term loans/rotations so people can see what the job is like.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I'm about to apply for an engineering position without an engineering degree. I have a science degree in a field completely related to the job but with out an engineering degree (or real experience mind you) am I just wasting my time?

C'mon dude, what is the position, what is are your skills, how do you think you fit in?

Yes if they want someone to make CAD models of plumbing fixtures and you have a degree in material science then maybe you don't have the right skillset.

If you can give some info, I can throw in my thoughts. My credentials are having a Physics degree but working as a Quality Engineer.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Crazyweasel posted:

C'mon dude, what is the position, what is are your skills, how do you think you fit in?

Yes if they want someone to make CAD models of plumbing fixtures and you have a degree in material science then maybe you don't have the right skillset.

If you can give some info, I can throw in my thoughts. My credentials are having a Physics degree but working as a Quality Engineer.

I have a degree in food science and technology, and currently work as a Quality Assurance Technologist for a confectionary & Seasoning manufacturer.

The job is for Welch's Grape Juice, and is a Process Development Engineer II.

I've done scaling, and have a minor knowledge of processing equipment just from being on the floor but I can't imagine I have the amount of knowledge they require. I don't know a single ounce of manufactuing statistics used in engineering though...

My friend says that the job description is vague enough to apply ("C'mon man its basically just asking for a problem solver with food industry experience. Thats you!"). I might apply and just not expect anything.

Heres the job description: http://www.welchs.com/about-us/careers/job-listings/lists/job-listings/process-development-engineer-ii

E: I'm looking for a job with that has much more Product Development focus, so thats why I'm even considering this in the first place.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 1, 2013

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I have a degree in food science and technology, and currently work as a Quality Assurance Technologist for a confectionary & Seasoning manufacturer.

The job is for Welch's Grape Juice, and is a Process Development Engineer II.

I've done scaling, and have a minor knowledge of processing equipment just from being on the floor but I can't imagine I have the amount of knowledge they require. I don't know a single ounce of manufactuing statistics used in engineering though...

My friend says that the job description is vague enough to apply ("C'mon man its basically just asking for a problem solver with food industry experience. Thats you!"). I might apply and just not expect anything.

Heres the job description: http://www.welchs.com/about-us/careers/job-listings/lists/job-listings/process-development-engineer-ii

E: I'm looking for a job with that has much more Product Development focus, so thats why I'm even considering this in the first place.

This posting looks like it is more geared towards a PMO/PMP type of environment. Have you done any process improvement, scoping, planning, or anything like that. You may be able to leverage your experience in the background areas to get a foot in the door.

It also seems like it would be heavy on industrial engineering as well as what I said above. Again, do you have experience or education in leaning, expanding, or otherwise reworking large scale industrial production projects?

To be fair, I don't want to sound too negative, but if you don't have the math background you're going to get destroyed in the interview. I learned that the hard way during an interview that was otherwise going really well. Try calling the HR office first maybe?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

handbanana125 posted:

This posting looks like it is more geared towards a PMO/PMP type of environment. Have you done any process improvement, scoping, planning, or anything like that. You may be able to leverage your experience in the background areas to get a foot in the door.

It also seems like it would be heavy on industrial engineering as well as what I said above. Again, do you have experience or education in leaning, expanding, or otherwise reworking large scale industrial production projects?

To be fair, I don't want to sound too negative, but if you don't have the math background you're going to get destroyed in the interview. I learned that the hard way during an interview that was otherwise going really well. Try calling the HR office first maybe?

I have atleast calc 2 background but I'm more than a little rusty. I work in a plant which involves multiple pipe configurations and heat exchangers. I've worked with scaling up and scaling down products (Pilot plant to large scale and back) but I've never really DESIGNED the procedure. I've always been the guy who says "Shits not working right, heres why and heres how to fix it" but only if its related to ingredients. If it's mechanical, I would have a good idea where it went wrong but I don't have super technical engineering knowledge.

Yep my suspicions are confirmed, I'm unqualified for the position.

I'll keep trying to find another job. I just keep getting a bunch of discouraging letters saying "thanks but no thanks." I've been trying to get out of Quality and into R&D for about a year now and it seems impossible unless I move to California. It doesn't help that a lot of businesses are just not hiring, and R&D is a small section of an even smaller industry in my area.

I'm basically resorting to cold calls at this point.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 1, 2013

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I have atleast calc 2 background but I'm more than a littel rusty. I work in a plant that I'm familliar enough with, which involves multiple pipe configurations and heat exchangers. I've worked with scaling up and scaling down products (Pilot plant to large scale and back) but I've never really DESIGNED the procedure. I've always been the guy who says "Shits not working right, heres why and heres how to fix it" if its related to ingredients. If it's mechanical, I would have a good idea where it went wrong but I don't have super technical engineering knowledge.

Yep my suspicions are confirmed, I'm unqualified for the position.

I'll keep trying to find another job. I keep getting a bunch of discouraging letters saying "thanks but no thanks." I've been trying to get out of Quality and into R&D for about a year now and it seems impossible unless I move to California.

Edit: Did you call in?
Your project skills sound about where mine where when I got my job, so that shouldn't discourage you. While you probably don't need super specialized knowledge, if you want to brush up on your math skills, in particular your stats skills, I held onto some PDFs from my degree program- if you can get your hands on a trial version of SAS or JMP they're really simple.
I would also say that Khan Academy and even youtube have some awesome, awesome tutorials online so long as you know what you want to do.

There is a discipline focused around the math useful in these areas called Decision Modelling. I'd say learn about Project Crashing, Decision Trees, Supply Chains, etc. It also might help to attend a couple of seminars on the trendier methods out there today in PMP, Agile/SCRUM, and what not.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I did not call them yet, because I share an office with someone and am very discreetly trying to change careers. I don't REALLY have the privacy to call. I might call monday on my lunch break.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Take like 30 min this weekend to work on your resume and cover letter and send it in. Then forget about it until you get a call or a rejection e mail. If you lose its 30 min lost, if you win it could be the most profitable 30 min of your life.

At the very least you work in a related niche, food, and that may be enough!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
don't negotiate against yourself! Give it a shot and let them tell you you're not qualified.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I sent resumes out this weekend. I'm positive I'm at least a tiny bit underqualified for every single position, but at least I'm giving it a good try.

Probably tonight I'll send a few more emails to people with no jobs listed just see what I can get. I already got 1 thanks-but-no-jobs email which blows.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I sent resumes out this weekend. I'm positive I'm at least a tiny bit underqualified for every single position, but at least I'm giving it a good try.

Probably tonight I'll send a few more emails to people with no jobs listed just see what I can get. I already got 1 thanks-but-no-jobs email which blows.

Bury them in applications, only one needs to get through.:black101:

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

I just got a job offer from Amazon for a temp position. They want my expected hourly salary. How should I approach this? Should I just get the annual salary for the fulltime position from Glassdoor and divide by 2000 hours?

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Amazon are bastards. Even more so than most 'Merica companys. Ask for $15-20hr and see what they do.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

I divided by 2000 and asked for $35/hour. It's not a warehouse job, if that's what you were thinking of.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'm currently interning at a company as a market research analyst but I don't know if they'll have a full time position for me afterward. What are some good job positions to look into with demographic and statistical business research on my resume? I just don't wanna be hosed come winter. :ohdear:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

obvious but: lookup competing firms and see if they have a spot for you? Assuming you want to stay in marketing.

mune
Sep 23, 2006
edit: nevermind.

mune fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 18, 2013

Celot
Jan 14, 2007

I want to change careers.

I'm an oil field engineer. It pays very well, but the hours are pretty bad. I don't like working for more than 24 hours straight. I don't like that my job doesn't require very much thinking beyond interpreting wireline logs. On the other hand, it's in a major city, which is extremely rare for a field job.

I would really like a job that had the following things:

- Applies math or hard technical problem solving skills every day
- Generally works no more than 60 hours a week
- Pays $80,000/year or more after 1 year in the job
- In a major city
- Unemployment should be very unlikely

The only jobs I know of that fulfill every requirement are drilling engineer and reservoir engineer. Either of these requires a petroleum degree with a GPA above about 3.6.

In order to do this, I am saving up some money to spend on getting another degree (or to buy a house instead). My first degree was in chemical engineering, but my GPA was low enough that non-field jobs are probably not going to happen.

Options I am considering:

Bachelor's in Petroleum Engineering
- I could definitely get a high GPA
- Could almost definitely be a reservoir or drilling engineer
- Would take 3.5 years to get

Master's in Petroleum Engineering
- Might be able to get into a program
- Not sure if I could get a summer internship because of undergrad GPA
- 2 years
- Higher salary than bachelor's

Bachelor's in Math
- Would take 2-3 years to get
- I like math best, and did well in undergrad math classes
- Could probably get a high GPA
- Do math majors actually get jobs?
- Do these jobs actually require math?
- Do these jobs pay well?

Bachelor's in Something Else
- no idea

Law School
- Maybe I can get in at a state school with a high LSAT
- 3 years
- Be a patent lawyer I guess?
- Unemployment seems risky
- Pay seems risky

So, does anyone have any experience getting a second degree mid-career? Or experience looking for a job as a math major? Or going back to get a master's degree in a field that isn't your undergrad? Or is anyone a reservoir or drilling engineer? Does anyone have a job that requires them to solve really hard problems? Is financial modeling a boring job that requires nothing harder than arithmetic? Am I going to find that these other jobs don't require math or hard problem solving any more than my current job?

Should I just be thankful for having a good job right now?

Celot fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 16, 2013

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
You should be thankful enough for having a good job to not consider going for a law degree, at least. Good god, man. Check again in a decade or two and see if that clusterfuck has gotten any better.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm making this post out of curiosity more than anything.

My stepmother got laid off a few months ago. She's fifty, no higher education, and her work experience consists of 25-30 years as a server in pretty high-class restaurants (from what I know), but she can't go back to that line of work because all those years on her feet destroyed her knees. This leaves her pretty much flapping in the wind even if you don't take this tragicomic job market into consideration; her last couple of jobs consisted of small-time administrative work, but she was let go from both (given that both of them hired either close family or new employees at reduced pay immediately afterwards, I'm guessing it was a cost-saving measure). She's been filling in the time since her last layoff selling used goods on eBay, and she puts a hell of a lot of effort into that, at least, since last I saw several unused rooms of her house had basically been converted into tiny warehouses for her stock, but the profits don't touch proper wages and she seems to be getting ground down by the search process.

Does anyone know of any careers that let you leverage server experience without putting you on your feet all the time? I recognize that she's in a lovely situation, and given that I experienced the joys of 18 months with no work not too long ago I'd like to know if there are any avenues open to someone with her profile other than high-turnover secretarial jobs.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

I'm making this post out of curiosity more than anything.

My stepmother got laid off a few months ago. She's fifty, no higher education, and her work experience consists of 25-30 years as a server in pretty high-class restaurants (from what I know), but she can't go back to that line of work because all those years on her feet destroyed her knees. This leaves her pretty much flapping in the wind even if you don't take this tragicomic job market into consideration; her last couple of jobs consisted of small-time administrative work, but she was let go from both (given that both of them hired either close family or new employees at reduced pay immediately afterwards, I'm guessing it was a cost-saving measure). She's been filling in the time since her last layoff selling used goods on eBay, and she puts a hell of a lot of effort into that, at least, since last I saw several unused rooms of her house had basically been converted into tiny warehouses for her stock, but the profits don't touch proper wages and she seems to be getting ground down by the search process.

Does anyone know of any careers that let you leverage server experience without putting you on your feet all the time? I recognize that she's in a lovely situation, and given that I experienced the joys of 18 months with no work not too long ago I'd like to know if there are any avenues open to someone with her profile other than high-turnover secretarial jobs.

Sales.

If she wants to tie in her restaurant/food experience with her sales experience, perhaps a food purveyor representative. I'm not sure what the big companies like Sysco, Ben E. Keith, etc. require from their applicants, but it might be an option. And then there are always handful of smaller purveyors that need sales reps, local companies and produce companies and such. I only speak as someone who has worked in kitchens for years, and not as a sales rep, but from what I gather they spend a lot of time travelling to different restaurants, meeting with clients and pushing various things that earn them better bonuses or satisfying their customers' needs (like when they get bad product or the product doesn't show up), and probably some time in the office crunching numbers.

If she doesn't want to be near restaurants anymore, I guess there are always companies in need of salespeople. Insurance, real estate, hot tubs? I'm not too experienced in that regard. The key is for her to be able to demonstrate her ability to charm and persuade people into buying something they might be on the fence about or might not have known they wanted. Jewelry sales might be right up her alley if she's used to dealing with high-class customers.

Other than that, any job where customer service is a necessity. Banks are an option, secretarial work perhaps. But I'd shoot for sales personally, I'd think that would be where the better money was at.

Smugworth fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 16, 2013

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Celot posted:

I want to change careers.

I'm an oil field engineer. It pays very well, but the hours are pretty bad. I don't like working for more than 24 hours straight. I don't like that my job doesn't require very much thinking beyond interpreting wireline logs. On the other hand, it's in a major city, which is extremely rare for a field job.

I would really like a job that had the following things:

- Applies math or hard technical problem solving skills every day
- Generally works no more than 60 hours a week
- Pays $80,000/year or more after 1 year in the job
- In a major city
- Unemployment should be very unlikely

The only jobs I know of that fulfill every requirement are drilling engineer and reservoir engineer. Either of these requires a petroleum degree with a GPA above about 3.6.

In order to do this, I am saving up some money to spend on getting another degree (or to buy a house instead). My first degree was in chemical engineering, but my GPA was low enough that non-field jobs are probably not going to happen.

Options I am considering:

Bachelor's in Petroleum Engineering
- I could definitely get a high GPA
- Could almost definitely be a reservoir or drilling engineer
- Would take 3.5 years to get

Master's in Petroleum Engineering
- Might be able to get into a program
- Not sure if I could get a summer internship because of undergrad GPA
- 2 years
- Higher salary than bachelor's

Bachelor's in Math
- Would take 2-3 years to get
- I like math best, and did well in undergrad math classes
- Could probably get a high GPA
- Do math majors actually get jobs?
- Do these jobs actually require math?
- Do these jobs pay well?

Bachelor's in Something Else
- no idea

Law School
- Maybe I can get in at a state school with a high LSAT
- 3 years
- Be a patent lawyer I guess?
- Unemployment seems risky
- Pay seems risky

So, does anyone have any experience getting a second degree mid-career? Or experience looking for a job as a math major? Or going back to get a master's degree in a field that isn't your undergrad? Or is anyone a reservoir or drilling engineer? Does anyone have a job that requires them to solve really hard problems? Is financial modeling a boring job that requires nothing harder than arithmetic? Am I going to find that these other jobs don't require math or hard problem solving any more than my current job?

Should I just be thankful for having a good job right now?

Can you code? Data science will fulfill all those requirements, but you'll need some coding experience. A Masters in CS would definitely get you there.

Celot
Jan 14, 2007

in_cahoots posted:

Can you code? Data science will fulfill all those requirements, but you'll need some coding experience. A Masters in CS would definitely get you there.

I can write C and Java, but not at any commercial skill level. Would a masters in CS take like five years to get?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Oxxidation posted:

My stepmother got laid off a few months ago. She's fifty, no higher education, and her work experience consists of 25-30 years as a server in pretty high-class restaurants (from what I know), but she can't go back to that line of work because all those years on her feet destroyed her knees.

She can spin the whole thing as customer service experience (HARD MODE!), and she might be able to claim cash handling. Once you know what sites and such to search, those are both keywords to use ("customer service" and "cash handling") to find jobs that are looking for her strengths.

Another advantage that meshes well with J Greedy's suggestion: how high-class were these restaurants? She might have an edge in luxury goods sales and marketing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

She can spin the whole thing as customer service experience (HARD MODE!), and she might be able to claim cash handling. Once you know what sites and such to search, those are both keywords to use ("customer service" and "cash handling") to find jobs that are looking for her strengths.

Another advantage that meshes well with J Greedy's suggestion: how high-class were these restaurants? She might have an edge in luxury goods sales and marketing.

Not French cuisine or anything like that, mostly upper-tier steakhouses in the New York area. They got frequented by celebrities on a semi-regular basis, going by my sketchy memory, so that's something.

Thanks for the replies, I'll see if this takes me anywhere.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Okay so... if this is the wrong thread go ahead and point me to a better one. I'm a bit stuck.

I dropped out of high school and got my GED. Started drinking and smoking halfway through high school and hosed it up real good. Right now I'm 18, I'm living in a small apartment with my girlfriend. I work 30-40 hours a week at the nearby grocery's deli deli and bakery, partner is a checker at a store a block away from mine but she makes a couple dollars more an hour. Splitting almost $600 rent between us, we get by but barely and with some help.

I have the opportunity to go to a nearby community college for two years with my tuition paid. This is an awesome opportunity for me but I'm stumped by how to use it properly. Lately my main hobby/creative pursuit has been producing/singing songs. I love singing along to music, I love dancing to music, I've picked up and put down the cello and guitar and I like making sounds in ableton. The school has a supposedly pretty good program for production and it'd be pretty sweet to get a free associate's education in my hobby and maybe turn it into a real passion, but it also casts a lot of doubt in my mind. Time spent writing songs is time I'm not spending enjoying life with people. Time spent going to school for a hobby I like is likely to prolong the amount of time I spend making barely enough money to live to eat to sleep to work to live. I'd also like to be able to make enough money to treat my girlfriend and go on vacations.

On the other hand, nothing else seems especially conducive to those things either. I need to talk more with the counselor for the program, but when I asked about getting trained for a trade I was given a pamphlet for the automotive program. Global warming aside cars are neat machines but I guess I have just enough ambition to not be too thrilled by the thought of working on cars for the rest of my life, but not enough to really want to do anything that might be too hard! I read at one point that folks in the trades work more than the typical 40 hour week anyway and that's not what I want at all.

Pursuing something more white-collar has all kinds of problems as well. I read on here all the time about how even STEM degrees are overcrowded, student loans, work being a monotonous modest-paying grind, etc. I'm also not super confident in my ability to get good grades in especially rigorous classes, especially ones that are likely competitive. I was born with a sharp toolbox but I'm lazy and drugs have taken a toll on my memory.

This whole thing where a person is expected to have a singular passion for one thing and pursue it exclusively does not thrill me at all. My current perspective on life is informed partially by what I've been able to learn about Buddhism on the internet, which has lead me to believe that no matter what I do while I participate in society it'll be dreary some times. A lot of this is personal stuff and unnecessary anxiety but I'd really appreciate any kind of advice or related personal experience that anyone has to share.

This is longer than I meant it to be. I just want to make enough money so that it feels like I can breathe and relax without having to mortgage my soul away. Thanks.

Celot
Jan 14, 2007

The car idea sounds pretty good.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Celot posted:

The car idea sounds pretty good.

This, or something like it. Life is a marathon, not a sprint. You're going to have a lot of experiences. Some you'll like, some you won't. Don't worry about vacations with your girlfriend or hanging out with friends for now. A free education in a useful skill ain't something to sneeze at in your position. There will be some long hours, hard work, and times you'd rather be doing something else, but suck it up and put your nose to the grindstone. After all you're the one saying you want to improve your situation.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Lame weird question: When do you start making close to the median salary? I'm looking for new jobs strictly for money reasons (I have a love hate relationship with my current job), but I'm hurting for cash. I looked up the average salary of my occupation for my area and I'm making less than the 10th percentile.

Now I know that I have only 2-3 years of experience in the industry, but my entry level salary is really not working for me anymore. Last year I got a modest 2% raise for a good performance review. My company is cheap as poo poo (we have Microsoft office 2003 :suicide:) so I have a feeling they thought it was a good raise. I also get a christmas bonus (which was flipping huge last year, so it makes up for the modest raise).

I think I'm just feeling the money crunch more than usual and I don't know when or how to ask for more money. I don't want a promotion, I want a raise!

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

oh... so you ARE sick....

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Lame weird question: When do you start making close to the median salary? I'm looking for new jobs strictly for money reasons (I have a love hate relationship with my current job), but I'm hurting for cash. I looked up the average salary of my occupation for my area and I'm making less than the 10th percentile.

Now I know that I have only 2-3 years of experience in the industry, but my entry level salary is really not working for me anymore. Last year I got a modest 2% raise for a good performance review. My company is cheap as poo poo (we have Microsoft office 2003 :suicide:) so I have a feeling they thought it was a good raise. I also get a christmas bonus (which was flipping huge last year, so it makes up for the modest raise).

I think I'm just feeling the money crunch more than usual and I don't know when or how to ask for more money. I don't want a promotion, I want a raise!

2%? My old company did that, but I considered it to be more of a cost-of-living raise than an actual raise. It basically just covers national inflation, and then some.

When is your next review? Also, do you know how well your company is doing/how well your team performs? Those are factors you should consider before you ask for a raise. If you have a well-documented/quantifiable account of why you deserve a raise (have you been taking on more responsibilities?) then I would argue your case. The fact that your salary isn't competitive with the rest of the industry is just the cherry on top. Your argument should basically be "I'm awesome/work my rear end off/do a shitton for the company, AND I'm underpaid."

I was basically in the same exact boat as you last year, but I'm a fashion designer, except my company was doing horribly and there was basically no point in asking for a raise. My team was working on a start up line, and there were no retailers who wanted to take on the risk of buying our line. Additionally, on a macro level, our company as a whole was doing really poorly, and they were hemorrhaging money on lines that got nowhere. I ended up just walking away from my job so I could work for a company that had a healthier business. I also got a title bump and a decent pay bump after I switched jobs. It was really good timing, because they laid off a few people on my team a month later and then stopped development of the line altogether after that.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I mean my department is way understaffed at the moment, (the director left to go work at pepsi corporate, QA techs have been succumbing to sickness after sickness so we've been doing a lot of covering) and when my manager is out I've basically been doing his job (which is filling out supplier surveys and looking at dead mice).

I mean, last year I created a new inspection for packaging that we do. I have made rework formulas to save a bunch of money, kept up with mountains of new paperwork responsibility and got two new certifications (HACCP and SQF). We have serious diversity in our product lines, and none of them are all that straightforward (I only NOW feel like I understand what 50% of anything means) so hiring a new person to relearn all this poo poo, even someone not nearly as green as I would be a massive expensive pain for the company.

We get evaluated in february but I already started looking for jobs. I also get my bonus next month, which is based on yearly performance so that'll be a solid indicator.

E: Also I'm putting my name on serious paperwork that is requested by suppliers.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 22, 2013

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Does anyone know anything about CIMA certification? (http://www.imca.org/pages/cima) My employer wants me to get started on either this or the CFA.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this test, and can give some insight to how long they spent on it/what materials they used?

I know that some business schools give a combined seminar/test but these seem to be very expensive ($5,800 at Carnegie Mellon). The only bonus (and I guess what they are selling at that price) is the ability to put the school's name on your resume in conjunction with the certificate.

Thank you for any insight.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Landed an interview for a Group Leader position with my current employer, on the other side of the country. I've been wanting one of these positions for a while now as it's the entry level/front line Manager position for field service.

The bulk of the interview will be a panel interview where I give a 30 minute presentation to my potential boss, his boss, a coworker and someone from HR.

Between my extra education and time with Toastmasters I think I've got a good shot at this position.

Time to get to work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'm in the same boat as Bread. Well, kind of.

I'm at a paid internship working 40 hours a week as a market research analyst. I only make $10/hour, which is fine as it's my first real job outside of college, but I'm wondering how much experience is necessary before I actually can start to accrue a, well, living wage. I know I have it lucky being able to have a paid internship right out of college but my contract is almost up and from what I hear they won't have any open positions for me because they see no need for a research analyst and say I'm too new to the industry. Well, one person, but he's the COO-- every department I meet with says they need to create my department and have me in it since the work I'm doing is excellent.

I've developed state and county-level demographic libraries for many facets of the industry I work in and have been helping spearhead a lot of changes to the way our customer support staff connects with clients, including creating framework for surveys and assisting in creating automated customer retention programs in ClickDimensions and remapping of the territories our sales team targets to be more in-line with the quotas pressed on them. I've also done barometric research into how much presence we have in the US market with great results. I think my biggest weakpoint is that the job hasn't required me to do any quantitative statistic research in SPSS or Stata but I'm pretty much an Excel wizard now so I guess that's worth its weight?

"Median" for my area (SoCal) is 60-70k/year but even the bottom 10% is 30k a year, which is 50% more than I make right now. I just am kind of at a loss as to what to do since I don't have any bargaining power but at the same time I don't want to commute two hours total per day to San Diego in traffic. :geno: Is my job even classified as "market research"? What are my best options for employment?