Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
I don't understand why both fantastical and apple's own calendar don't integrate back to mail so you can forward and reply directly from the event. Even if you didn't have direct access to mail to the app you could always repackage the event as an ics and attach to a message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Didn't fantastical start on the desktop? When you have a real keyboard, typing in the details free form is a lot faster than using a date picker.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

So not to be a jerk but is there a reason that half the apps are at the top of their respective lists? Especially in the Paid section?

Are people really that shallow or is there some sort of secret to gaming your way to the top?

I like searching for new quality apps but besides this thread, it's hard IMO.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

EconOutlines posted:

I like searching for new quality apps but besides this thread, it's hard IMO.
I went through a brief period of trying to find a blog that featured a handful of really cool new or updated apps each week but couldn't find anything that wasn't just a constant stream of "here's yet another note-taking app that we love because our buddy made it."

As for why things are at the top, I have no idea. I mean, I understand why Angry Birds Star Wars 2 is at #5 at 69p, but #6 is a £1.49 "emoji" app which makes no sense given that emoji are a free keyboard built in to the OS!

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

EconOutlines posted:

So not to be a jerk but is there a reason that half the apps are at the top of their respective lists? Especially in the Paid section?

Are people really that shallow or is there some sort of secret to gaming your way to the top?

They use bots: http://www.cultofmac.com/146438/ios-developers-use-well-known-download-bots-to-manipulate-app-store-rankings-report/

Something similar happens on Google Play too: http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/10/22/is-someone-stuffing-bbms-ratings-on-the-play-store-app-accumulates-nearly-65k-5-stars-in-24-hours/

It's a huge problem for honest developers.

e: http://www.iphonedevsdk.com/forum/shameless-advertising/89623-us-itunes-top-25-guaranteed-ranking-your-app.html

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 31, 2013

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Is there a way to set a current location as 'home'? Entering my address in my contacts app isn't accurate enough for my building, and I want to trigger location-based reminders in fantastical

I've seen in fantastical I can increase the location radius but it'd be nice to have a more accurate location

Lady Gaza fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 31, 2013

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Dear BuddyTV/Vibes: if you're going to change your name and icon during an update, at least say something on first launch. That poo poo's confusing with auto-update on.

Vibes (formerly buddy TV) is a pretty decent TV guide app that also has integration with streaming services for some reason.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

PFlats posted:

Dear BuddyTV/Vibes: if you're going to change your name and icon during an update, at least say something on first launch. That poo poo's confusing with auto-update on.

Vibes (formerly buddy TV) is a pretty decent TV guide app that also has integration with streaming services for some reason.

This is the worst thing I have ever seen. I don't even know what the hell this new update is trying to make the app into.....I just use it for TV listings. And now it takes an extra step to even get to the TV listings. I guess its supposed to be a social media app now? Or like an RSS feed or something? I may delete it if theres another simpler TV listing app......

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Mahoning posted:

This is the worst thing I have ever seen. I don't even know what the hell this new update is trying to make the app into.....I just use it for TV listings. And now it takes an extra step to even get to the TV listings. I guess its supposed to be a social media app now? Or like an RSS feed or something? I may delete it if theres another simpler TV listing app......

"What's On?" or just "TV Guide?"

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Economic Sinkhole posted:

I'm genuinely curious: do you find it easier to type out "Meeting at 7:30 am on the 12th" than a more traditional date/time picker? I use Calvetica which uses the latter and can't figure out why Fantastical has such great reviews. I'm wondering what I'm missing about it- the 'natural language entry' seems unwieldy to me but I've never really tried it.

I just say, "Siri, make a one hour meeting at 7:30am on the 12th" :smug:

No but seriously that works dandy for me. I haven't tried anything more complex with Siri though cause I always just tend to go into iCal in OS X.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Mahoning posted:

Episodes has died (or something), so now I have nothing else. :negative:

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

As for why things are at the top, I have no idea. I mean, I understand why Angry Birds Star Wars 2 is at #5 at 69p, but #6 is a £1.49 "emoji" app which makes no sense given that emoji are a free keyboard built in to the OS!

It's because the vast majority of iPhone users aren't informed enough to realize that emoji is built into the OS.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I know they're pointless, but what do those emoji apps actually do? Are they just a list of emoji that people copy and paste from or something?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I think it used to be that the keyboard wouldn't be there without some sort of app but that was versions and versions ago. I can't even remember why it was needed, and no idea why the apps still exist.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Yeah, you need an app awhile ago to enable the Emoji keyboard. No diea what their use is now.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I'm not going to actually downloaded any to try, but I looked at some app descriptions and it looks like most of them have gimmicky functionality like letting you arrange emoji into pictures you can copy and paste into a message, or letting you "talk" to an emoji.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Some add the emoji keyboard without actually having to go into settings and do it yourself. Some are just pictures that look like emoji that you're supposed to add to your texts.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Fantastical is nice because you can paste things into it that iOS's parser doesn't get. And the 4 space syntax for updating specific calendars is quite useful. (Hitting _ _ _ _h adds to my hockey schedule, for example. /h works too.)

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

PFlats posted:

Fantastical is nice because you can paste things into it that iOS's parser doesn't get. And the 4 space syntax for updating specific calendars is quite useful. (Hitting _ _ _ _h adds to my hockey schedule, for example. /h works too.)

Holy crap I never knew you could do that! :monocle:

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

PaganGoatPants posted:

Their twitter says they're releasing a new app... but when I click it -- says "Not Available in US App Store" :(

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just say, "Siri, make a one hour meeting at 7:30am on the 12th" :smug:

No but seriously that works dandy for me. I haven't tried anything more complex with Siri though cause I always just tend to go into iCal in OS X.

This is one place where "context sensitive" Siri is very useful. You can build up an appointment out of little instructions. Like:

* Make a meeting at 7:30 AM on the 12th.
* Change the duration to two hours.
* Set the location to my house.
* Change the name to working.

That kind of thing.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Does anyone have a free / cheap alternative to the Episodes? I like the format and layout of Episodes but a few of my shows aren't updating, even though the shows have already aired. Also, it seems that Episodes is unable to pull up my list anymore.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

obi_ant posted:

Does anyone have a free / cheap alternative to the Episodes? I like the format and layout of Episodes but a few of my shows aren't updating, even though the shows have already aired. Also, it seems that Episodes is unable to pull up my list anymore.

They said they're having server issues. Give it a day or two and all will be fine.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

PFlats posted:

This just might convert me from Sunrise

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
What's the recommended document/receipt scanner du jour? Something that could upload to dropbox/gDrive and can parse $ amounts with tagging etc.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

priznat posted:

What's the recommended document/receipt scanner du jour? Something that could upload to dropbox/gDrive and can parse $ amounts with tagging etc.

Scanner pro by Readdle. In the end, they all work the same, however.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Hmm dang looks like I just missed the sale on Scanner Pro :( Looks just what I need, though.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
I use Scanner Pro, but has anyone tried this?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

maduin posted:

I use Scanner Pro, but has anyone tried this?

No but that guy looks to be having a lot of fun with his PDF scanning. I use Turbo Scan myself. The only thing I wish it had was some type of Evernote integration.

snakeater
May 17, 2008

A paranoiac in reverse.
The Soulver update for iOS7 is quite pretty. I finally caved and bought it, been waiting ages for a price drop I don't think will ever happen.

Very useful, even for the math-illiterate such as myself.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The update to Pages and Numbers is amazing. Whatever they did in regard to formatting and exporting back to a Word/Excel document addressed every issue I had in the past. I can now actually do reports and work on my iPad without having to gently caress around fixing everything at the end of the day.

I'd still like to see a proper Office port for iOS. The lovely iPhone app doesn't count.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

snakeater posted:

The Soulver update for iOS7 is quite pretty. I finally caved and bought it, been waiting ages for a price drop I don't think will ever happen.

Very useful, even for the math-illiterate such as myself.

Oh my gooood, this is awesome! Has it worked with everything you threw at it so far?

snakeater
May 17, 2008

A paranoiac in reverse.

Butt Savage posted:

Oh my gooood, this is awesome! Has it worked with everything you threw at it so far?

I haven't played around with it that much, but it seems fine yeah.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Ting just announced they'll be supporting the iPhone 4/4S so I'm really considering breaking my contract, switching to them and just turning off my 3G so I can save megabucks since I pretty much just piss around doing stupid poo poo when I'm out and not on wifi anyway.

Only think I'm worrying about is not having a data connection while out and about for Maps. What's the word on GPS/Navigation apps with offline data? Any worthwhile ones?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PFlats posted:

is it possible to add an alarm like this?

also fantastical might be the first calendar app ever to incorporate reminders properly, because events and reminders are two sides of the same coin but most calendar apps ignore reminders or gently caress it up trying to integrate [looking at you calvetica]

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Ting just announced they'll be supporting the iPhone 4/4S so I'm really considering breaking my contract, switching to them and just turning off my 3G so I can save megabucks since I pretty much just piss around doing stupid poo poo when I'm out and not on wifi anyway.

Only think I'm worrying about is not having a data connection while out and about for Maps. What's the word on GPS/Navigation apps with offline data? Any worthwhile ones?

My wife has a 4S without a data plan. She has some trouble with iMessage occasionally. Double sent messages, long delays before iMessage times out and reverts to SMS. She doesn't reliably get picture messages. Just something to watch out for.

She would just turn off iMessage if I didn't work in wifi-equipped metal boxes.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
What's a good Mail replacement? I don't use Gmail so I can't use Mailbox or any apps that only work with Gmail.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

PaganGoatPants posted:

Episodes is working again. They had server issues and had to upgrade.

While Episodes was down, I did find TeeVee 2. I like it other than the fact that it doesn't leave unwatched shows at the top. I'm going to use both for a while, but have used Episodes for so long that it will probably be the one I keep.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Quick Question, so if I use Airplay to play iOS games on my TV via an Apple TV, if I pair a bluetooth video game controller will that continue to work via Airplay? This might be a stupid question, but wanted to know before I invest in this solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Why is my wife's Facebook app playing videos automagically and in-line and mine not?

• Locked thread