Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Helushune posted:

Now I'm trying to figure out how to go back to "inconvenience" from "catastrophic failure". Does anyone know how to possibly restore deleted shadow copies?

I guess you could try something like Recuva - I can't imagine the file would be intact though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
After spending the last three weeks tearing computers apart for an electronics recycler, I have developed a deep and abiding hatred for everyone who worked at HP, Compaq, Gateway, and/or Dell about ten years back.

WHO THE gently caress USES TWO DIFFERENT TORX SIZES IN THE SAME GODDAMNED CASE

CapMoron
Nov 20, 2000
Forum Veteran

Technogeek posted:

After spending the last three weeks tearing computers apart for an electronics recycler, I have developed a deep and abiding hatred for everyone who worked at HP, Compaq, Gateway, and/or Dell about ten years back.

WHO THE gently caress USES TWO DIFFERENT TORX SIZES IN THE SAME GODDAMNED CASE

Apple still does this. Along with their wonderful "tri-lobe" screwdrivers.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Because I do not have 5 years experience I was told I was not eligable to be promoted to the open level 2 position. I am however qualified to train the person they hired. gently caress this company

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 1, 2013

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ahahaha, that's the most transparent 'gently caress you' I've ever seen. Unless you're HR I guess in which case you can't see a problem.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
You're not going to do it, right?

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

I guess you could try something like Recuva - I can't imagine the file would be intact though.

We've been running Recuva hoping it would work. It found some stuff from 2011 but nothing recent. We're trying the Deep Scan functionality but the estimated time on that is 15 hours. Maybe it'll find something more recent.

All the Microsoft documentation regarding shadow copies basically says you're boned once they've been deleted so I've given up trying to recover them. I've got my fingers crossed for Recuva though.

Crowley posted:

Oh dear. Time to start documenting EVERYTHING you encounter, get the boss in on it too so he doesn't think you're the idiot who can't handle a simple accidental deletion.

Oh, and change all your "extra-rights" passwords, from backup accounts to test accounts to admins. (You've already done this, I assume, but it still bears mentioning)
He knows I'm not super incompetent at my job (just mostly incompetent) and that I wouldn't botch up something so simple. We went over everything when I got in this morning and he also thinks it was all purposely done. He has a meeting in about an hour with all the junior high teachers and gets to tell them that all their class-specific work that was in that DFS share is now gone. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes.

Helushune fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 1, 2013

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Bottle opener update

Read thread, it gets better at the end.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

evol262 posted:

Document retention and confidentiality is no worse on hosted email. If you don't have in house expertise, you're probably safer hosted with Google than with "Bob, IT consultant" grasping the nuances of SOX.
Retention is just one piece of the puzzle; Google Apps is bad at e-discovery. A lot of the bigger players like Symantec with the E-Discovery Accelerator for Enterprise Vault have really nailed this, even though they're slow. Google Apps handles search a lot faster than the other alternatives, but it gets a lot of things wrong. It doesn't include calendar appointments. It outputs to mbox instead of PST, which is the format that every lawyer is interested in. It's really bad at capturing full conversations between several parties unless you programmatically generate your search filters. Your email is probably safer, but their e-discovery solution will probably give you an incomplete result on the data you do have versus something like Enterprise Vault.

evol262 posted:

Google and Microsoft don't get their fiber cut. We had ours cut at my first job. Then the copper two weeks later. Hosting yourself isn't a safety net from municipal workers.
Google has had more interesting things happen to their fiber than most companies ever have to deal with.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Helushune posted:

He knows I'm not super incompetent at my job (just mostly incompetent) and that I wouldn't botch up something so simple. We went over everything when I got in this morning and he also thinks it was all purposely done. He has a meeting in about an hour with all the junior high teachers and gets to tell them that all their class-specific work that was in that DFS share is now gone. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes.

Do you really have no other backups? What was the plan if the raid controller had poo poo the bed on that server and corrupted the volumes? It happens sometimes.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Misogynist posted:

Retention is just one piece of the puzzle; Google Apps is bad at e-discovery. A lot of the bigger players like Symantec with the E-Discovery Accelerator for Enterprise Vault have really nailed this, even though they're slow. Google Apps handles search a lot faster than the other alternatives, but it gets a lot of things wrong. It doesn't include calendar appointments. It outputs to mbox instead of PST, which is the format that every lawyer is interested in. It's really bad at capturing full conversations between several parties unless you programmatically generate your search filters. Your email is probably safer, but their e-discovery solution will probably give you an incomplete result on the data you do have versus something like Enterprise Vault.
Google Apps was probably the wrong example for this, which is why I kept hammering on Office 365. E-Discovery is available as a hosted service which works (mostly) with Office 365, so you can have your take can eat it, too, even with hosted mail solutions and offsite/cloud E-discovery. I have no idea if this is working with E-Discovery for Compliance yet, but Enterprise Vault is a go.

Misogynist posted:

Google has had more interesting things happen to their fiber than most companies ever have to deal with.
I suspect Google doesn't go offline when hunters shoot down their fiber, though, whereas "SMB self-hosted exchange" shop probably has no redundancy.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

evol262 posted:

Google Apps was probably the wrong example for this, which is why I kept hammering on Office 365. E-Discovery is available as a hosted service which works (mostly) with Office 365, so you can have your take can eat it, too, even with hosted mail solutions and offsite/cloud E-discovery. I have no idea if this is working with E-Discovery for Compliance yet, but Enterprise Vault is a go.
Yeah, that's true. Office 365 does have its own set of availability problems, but it's a service where the availability is getting better without businesses needing to invest tons of hours and money into infrastructure and monitoring to make that happen for themselves.

evol262 posted:

I suspect Google doesn't go offline when hunters shoot down their fiber, though, whereas "SMB self-hosted exchange" shop probably has no redundancy.
Also true, but I'd wager there's major latency issues without that fiber or they'd abandon it for different above-ground fiber instead of burying that particular set of optics.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

sanchez posted:

Do you really have no other backups? What was the plan if the raid controller had poo poo the bed on that server and corrupted the volumes? It happens sometimes.

We do manual backups at the end of the school year and every couple months but that doesn't help, say, the yearbook teacher who just lost all of their data for this year. The server's a slightly special case since we don't have anything else with enough storage space and overhead to currently do backups of it. The messed up part here is that we've been talking to a bunch of backup partners and have been looking at building a proper backup solution that would be able to handle that server in particular as well as our aging NetApp that we wanted to implement in the next couple months.

Keep in mind this is a small-ish non-profit school that hates spending money on technology (our budget has shrunk every year). It's like pulling teeth to get anything nice so we've been working with what we have. Hell, our primary core switch is an ancient Catalyst 4006 that sounds like it's about to keel over any day now.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sounds like it's YOTJ time then if possible. These sorts of organisations don't deserve to have people with ambition and talent working for them.

Is there a reason why IT budgets always get hammered, or are there a bunch of janitors on a forum somewhere complaining that their employer won't give them new mops and it's just a thing that happens in bad companies?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
I believe it's because a lot of company sees IT as a "black hole" when it comes to profit.

Even though they don't seem to understand that IT is what's allowing them to MAKE that profit.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 minutes!

Caged posted:

Is there a reason why IT budgets always get hammered, or are there a bunch of janitors on a forum somewhere complaining that their employer won't give them new mops and it's just a thing that happens in bad companies?

Yes janitors would get this too in bad companies. Anything that is a cost center gets hammered.

IT really is on par with janitorial work to places like that: they really don't look past it being a cost center in the accounting system to realize what it actually contributes to the organization.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Caged posted:

Sounds like it's YOTJ time then if possible. These sorts of organisations don't deserve to have people with ambition and talent working for them.
The benefits here are crazy and, for now, make up for all the other crap that I have to deal with. They cover medical, dental, and vision. They do 10% matching to my 403B and pension. Maybe in the future but for now, I'll deal with having to pull teeth to get anything that's not free/donated/second-hand.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

poo poo pissing me off today... no SP2 for Windows 2008R2. loving patches...so many patches.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Caged posted:

What the others have said is true, but to make it more explicit: IT doesn't directly make money. It enables other groups to make money. When the sales department generates $8 jillion in revenue, and a big part of that is enabled by IT's work, it doesn't matter -- Sales is credited with making $8 jillion, whereas IT just incurred costs, on paper. This is what happens when IT doesn't have a seat at the table and no one who does understands what they do, basically.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It does seem like there are a growing number of companies that 'get it' though when it comes to running IT. These also seem to be the places that subscribe to the idea that not making your offices a horrible place to be means your staff are happier and get more done.

I think it's also safe to say that the companies that don't understand it by now are never going to.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

guppy posted:

What the others have said is true, but to make it more explicit: IT doesn't directly make money. It enables other groups to make money. When the sales department generates $8 jillion in revenue, and a big part of that is enabled by IT's work, it doesn't matter -- Sales is credited with making $8 jillion, whereas IT just incurred costs, on paper. This is what happens when IT doesn't have a seat at the table and no one who does understands what they do, basically.

Speaking of seats at the table, our new (as of 5 months ago new at least) CEO just "let go" our CFO so now the CIO reports directly to him, when before it was CEO -> CFO -> CIO -> IT. While everyone in IT is cautiously optimistic, the mood upstairs in finance is... frosty.

Also got to spend half the day with our ex-CFO's secretary upgrading her to Windows 7 since she's staying on due to other duties. That was a little awkward!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Helushune posted:

There's no way it was accidental. How does three months worth of shadow copies just disappear without a trace when the raid array's healthy and I'm the only IT person on staff at that moment and I was in the middle of a restore? There's a couple other factors, such as an admin account logging on to the server at 7:19am when none of the IT staff was on campus yet, but this screams malicious intent to me.

Yeah, that was what I meant really, but I didn't want to cast aspersions no knowing the details. I agree that it's probably something super shady at the root of it.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Caged posted:

It does seem like there are a growing number of companies that 'get it' though when it comes to running IT. These also seem to be the places that subscribe to the idea that not making your offices a horrible place to be means your staff are happier and get more done.

I think it's also safe to say that the companies that don't understand it by now are never going to.

It's more the other way around. Any company that does things right now is just waiting for a new CEO to come along, implement cuts to all the cost centres, take a fat bonus from the increased profits in the short term and then disappear by the time the brain drain and crumbling infrastructure set in from underfunding all the support functions. Usually to another company where they'll do the exact same thing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That does make sense actually. Maybe my perception is a bit warped since the ones doing it right tend to shout about it, whereas nobody really wants to publicise the alternative.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Scikar posted:

It's more the other way around. Any company that does things right now is just waiting for a new CEO to come along, implement cuts to all the cost centres, take a fat bonus from the increased profits in the short term and then disappear by the time the brain drain and crumbling infrastructure set in from underfunding all the support functions. Usually to another company where they'll do the exact same thing.

Gotta love the "rape and pillage" style of CEO that is becoming even more popular these days.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Khisanth Magus posted:

Gotta love the "rape and pillage" style of CEO that is becoming even more popular these days.

Problem is, it appeals to shareholders, because it creates short-term profits, which is all they care about.

One of the more interesting things I've heard is that Amazon plans on a 7-year out timescale, because no one else is competing with that viewpoint, and it's enabled them to really become the powerhouse they are precisely because they're not focused on the short-term. They sink almost all their profit back into the business, and basically make very little quarter-to-quarter, but because of all that reinvestment, they keep growing even huger and becoming, if not the 800-lb gorilla in certain markets, at least a major player.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Potato Alley posted:

Problem is, it appeals to shareholders, because it creates short-term profits, which is all they care about.

One of the more interesting things I've heard is that Amazon plans on a 7-year out timescale, because no one else is competing with that viewpoint, and it's enabled them to really become the powerhouse they are precisely because they're not focused on the short-term. They sink almost all their profit back into the business, and basically make very little quarter-to-quarter, but because of all that reinvestment, they keep growing even huger and becoming, if not the 800-lb gorilla in certain markets, at least a major player.

"Wall Street" (using that as a descriptor for a monolithic bloc is pretty dumb but it gets the point across) loving hates Bezos for never making a profit, but they loving love him for the absurd revenue figures Amazon delivers. Bezos pretty much tells them all to get hosed when they bitch about the profit figures.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I love my job; I work at one of those "we don't pay OT but we do flex hours once you reach 40".

Today: Reach 40 hour mark around 3pm, lo and behold call comes in from %small_customer_on_managed_IT_team%
:v: -well poo poo I am at 40hrs but hell I'll take the call anyway, they want to do $project$ which will save us a bunch of poo poo long term-
:v: hey client
-commence 30 min phone call-
(supervisor):mad: Hey dilbert why are you still on the phone, I want you to not waste time with $customer$. "You missed a call I could have picked up on but didn't."
:v: Well they are customer and think I should hear them out on concerns
:mad: No dilbert you need to manage the call and make a 30 min limit, they are a waste of time. I want you out of here ASAP as you are over 40hrs!
:v: but they pay monthly for managed IT??? Can they not ask some time?
:mad: I think you should hang up and send them an email on you need it all in email. (I don't want to take call that came in that I could read your notes and help out on)
:v: Well sure I can but-
:mad: dilbert hang up after 30 seconds, if they don't tell you the exact issue

How many place bets on "customer was pissed"

Gotta love MSP's! Close 3x the tickets of the techs around me but "Dilbert can you work harder?(I want to pass my calls to you)". Yeah no, I am going to call you out on that "performance review you do on me" BULLSHIT no other tech gets asked during lunch to fix "$high_priority_issue$" and then gets bitched at for not taking lunch. Maybe I was in the wrong, but no taking the call would have delayed the already delayed project moreso.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 2, 2013

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I love my job; I work at one of those "we don't pay OT but we do flex hours once you reach 40".

Today: Reach 40 hour mark around 3pm, lo and behold call comes in from %small_customer_on_managed_IT_team%
:v: -well poo poo I am at 40hrs but hell I'll take the call anyway, they want to do $project$ which will save us a bunch of poo poo long term-
:v: hey client
-commence 30 min phone call-
(supervisor):mad: Hey dilbert why are you still on the phone, I want you to not waste time with $customer$. "You missed a call I could have picked up on but didn't."
:v: Well they are customer and think I should hear them out on concerns
:mad: No dilbert you need to manage the call and make a 30 min limit, they are a waste of time. I want you out of here ASAP as you are over 40hrs!
:v: but they pay monthly for managed IT??? Can they not ask some time?
:mad: I think you should hang up and send them an email on you need it all in email. (I don't want to take call that came in that I could read your notes and help out on)
:v: Well sure I can but-
:mad: dilbert hang up after 30 seconds, if they don't tell you the exact issue

How many place bets on "customer was pissed"

Gotta love MSP's! Close 3x the tickets of the techs around me but "Dilbert can you work harder?(I want to pass my calls to you)". Yeah no, I am going to call you out on that "performance review you do on me" BULLSHIT no other tech gets asked during lunch to fix "$high_priority_issue$" and then gets bitched at for not taking lunch. Maybe I was in the wrong, but no taking the call would have delayed the already delayed project moreso.

If people ask me to fix poo poo when I'm on lunch, I tell them I'm on lunch. If they press it, I tell them to get hosed because I'm on a federally mandated lunch.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

DGK2000 posted:

If people ask me to fix poo poo when I'm on lunch, I tell them I'm on lunch. If they press it, I tell them to get hosed because I'm on a federally mandated lunch.

Lunch is a "safe place" for me. I don't bring up anything work related unless I'm in the dead middle of a discussion with someone, and even then it's rare to continue once food starts getting shoved into appropriate holes. Hell, the mental down time is often vital to get my subconscious to chew on a problem that I haven't been able to solve with my conscious mind. And if someone does, I react pretty much the same way you do, as politely as possible.

CF, I hope you throw this incident back in your supervisor's face when he comes to reprimand you about customer complaints about you. I'm not polite when someone vomits their flagrant hypocrisy all over me.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Nov 2, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Che Delilas posted:

CF, I hope you throw this incident back in your supervisor's face when he comes to reprimand you about customer complaints about you. I'm not polite when someone vomits their flagrant hypocrisy all over me.

Yeah no, totally am. We have been trying to push this client to go with an upgrade project for well over a year. This is like the first time they have been saying okay to the quotes being pushed to them.

CatsOnTheInternet
Apr 24, 2013

BEEEEAAOOOORRRRRRRW BEEEBEAAAAAOOOORRWW

Scikar posted:

My experience is anecdotal, but we recently experienced the opposite much to our surprise. They brought in a new high-level exec to steer IT, and the first thing he did was bring in a small army of consultants to see how we can operate better. When I got the "What exactly do you do here" question, naturally I was on the job hunt circuit the following morning.

Their findings? Our shop runs too lean and our budget is too small.

The more I read this thread, the more I realize I live in a pod.

CatsOnTheInternet fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 2, 2013

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

CatsOnTheInternet posted:

The more I read this thread, the more I realize I live in a pod.

Hahaha! :getin:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It's me. I'm the guy that plugs the wireless router into the network. Except I know how to hide it.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

psydude posted:

It's me. I'm the guy that plugs the wireless router into the network. Except I know how to hide it.

Except you left the DHCP server on, and now half your subnet is getting the wrong addresses.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Motronic posted:

Yes janitors would get this too in bad companies. Anything that is a cost center gets hammered.

IT really is on par with janitorial work to places like that: they really don't look past it being a cost center in the accounting system to realize what it actually contributes to the organization.

When our facilities department got squeezed a few years back the VP said gently caress it and cut out watering plants to save money. He lost head count, it wasn't a core function of his department so he dropped it. All the plants around the departments started dying off until either their admins took up watering them or they hired an outside firm which came out of the departmental budgets instead of his. A few years later they squeezed him again and he cut heads out of his mailroom. Want your mail?, well instead of dropping mail at everyone's desk you'll have go get it yourself at the dropbox we put at the service elevators on each floor.

So yeah, janitors are seen just like IT (or vice-versa),

CatsOnTheInternet
Apr 24, 2013

BEEEEAAOOOORRRRRRRW BEEEBEAAAAAOOOORRWW

tomapot posted:

When our facilities department got squeezed a few years back the VP said gently caress it and cut out watering plants to save money. He lost head count, it wasn't a core function of his department so he dropped it. All the plants around the departments started dying off until either their admins took up watering them or they hired an outside firm which came out of the departmental budgets instead of his. A few years later they squeezed him again and he cut heads out of his mailroom. Want your mail?, well instead of dropping mail at everyone's desk you'll have go get it yourself at the dropbox we put at the service elevators on each floor.

So yeah, janitors are seen just like IT (or vice-versa),

I see this point, but you could make the argument that any non-revenue-generating department is subject to this dynamic. Slash your accounting staff, and now you just have to deal with a longer lead time on bills being paid and expense reports being filed. Trim down HR, and now it takes longer to process new hires and make payroll.

The difference between IT, accounting, HR and so forth versus facilities is that an admin assistant can pick up a flower sprinkler to water the plants but they can't pick up a probe and toner kit to trace a cable.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
A coworker had a customer break down into hysterical screaming and crying because Finder was displaying 7 items in some columns and 6 in others and apparently all hope and security were gone from his life.

You ever get that "I'm going to be explaining this to my boss" feeling?

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky
Ugh, so I work for a NPO School and our IT purchasing goes through our parent university. Nobody here likes how our purchasing is done, and I've been wondering how to go about setting up a purchasing system. I have no idea what forum to ask about how to set up a purchasing system, and I have no experience doing it myself but I have tons of time to do it at work. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Can I just say gently caress Yahoo? Why do they have like 4 different domains that need to be allowed to access a loving mailbox and attachments? Its not even *.Yahoo. You need *.yimg and *. I forget but it was some third party API provider.

I work for a city / school and apparently the teachers tell kids to get a yahoo to transfer files since several students are too poor to afford flash drives or something stupid, but we have to allow them for kids that can afford them. So no one has been able to access Yahoo for like a month or so since Yahoo changed it. I finally get notified because there is a ticket, apparently people have just been saying it to other people and they have been ignoring it. Our web filter had a few entries for white listing *.yahoo so I assume people added it and assumed it would work. Basically gently caress yahoo. They don't even document this I had to read the source code and see where the java script was running from.