Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

That's right, the best modern team to never win a secondary title just changed history. No offense to the OKC Bombers, you guys do hold the record for second longest title drought in modern Super League history, I think. Anyhow, this is cool and all, but the playoffs beckon. And I believe I have some business to that end.

First, the lineup. The Imperialists have exclusively right handed starting pitching so I won't waste time with two lineups:

vs RHP
1. RF Billy Hamilton
2. 3B Frankie Frisch
3. CF Willie Mays
4. 1B Buck Leonard
5. LF Rickey Henderson
6. 2B Lou Whitaker
7. SS Joe Sewell
8. C Ernie Lombardi

Pitching wise, obviously Old Pete is back on form but how do I set up the lefties? Well, let's try this on for size:

Rotation
SP1 Pete Alexander
SP2 Noodles the Pitcher
SP3 Rube Waddell
SP4 Mordecai Brown
Mop Paul Derringer

Bullpen can remain as configured at the end there. I'm finally getting my money's worth out of Hoffman, I intend to ride that train for all it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I think we can make it out of the first round if the RNG gods are merciful, but there's no way we're winning this thing. In fact, I'd rather not.

Lineups

vs. RHP (no DH)
code:
#1/CF	Tris Speaker	15 Red Sox
#2/LF	Barry Bonds	00 Giants
#3/3B	Chipper Jones	02 Braves
#4/1B	Willie McCovey	65 Giants
#5/RF	Gary Sheffield	02 Braves
#6/C	Carlos Santana	11 Indians
#7/2B	Dustin Pedroia	10 Red Sox
#8/SS	Rafael Furcal	02 Braves

Bench	
INF	Mark Loretta	01 Brewers
OF	Amos Otis	74 Royals
C	Ivan Rodriguez	06 Rangers -  Personal Catcher for Kevin Millwood
OF	Tip O'Neill	86 Browns
INF	Asdrubal Cabrera	11 Indians
OF	Shin-soo Choo	11 Indians
Versus RHP w/DH
code:
Position	Player	Team
#2/DH	Barry Bonds	00 Giants
#4/1B	Willie McCovey	65 Giants
#5/RF	Gary Sheffield	02 Braves
#6/C	Carlos Santana	11 Indians
#7/LF	Tip O'Neill	86 Browns
#9/2B	Dustin Pedroia	10 Red Sox

Bench		
C	Ivan Rodriguez	06 Rangers - Milwood's catcher
OF	Amos Otis	74 Royals
INF	Asdrubal Cabrera 11 Indians
Versus LHP (no DH)
code:
Position	Player	Team
#2/LF	Barry Bonds	00 Giants
#4/RF	Gary Sheffield	02 Braves
#5/1B	Willie McCovey	65 Giants
#6/2B	Dustin Pedroia	10 Red Sox
#7/C	Ivan Rodriguez	06 Rangers

Bench
C	Carlos Santana	11 Indians
OF	Amos Otis	74 Royals
INF	Asdrubal Cabrera 11 Indians
OF	Tip O'Neill	86 Browns
Versus LHP w/DH
code:

Position	Player	Team
#2/DH	Barry Bonds	00 Giants
#4/RF	Gary Sheffield	02 Braves
#5/1B	Willie McCovey	65 Giants
#6/LF	Tip O'Neill	86 Browns
#7/2B	Dustin Pedroia	10 Red Sox
#8/C	Ivan Rodriguez	06 Rangers
#9/SS	Rafael Furcal	02 Braves

C	Carlos Santana	11 Indians
INF	Asdrubal Cabrera	11 Indians
OF	Amos Otis	74 Royals
Minors
code:
C	Javy Lopez	02 Braves
RP	Chad Fox	01 Brewers
SP	Ubaldo Jimenez	11 Indians
SP	Dave Foutz	86 Browns
RP	Mike Remlinger	02 Braves
CF	Andruw Jones	02 Braves
LF/1B	Hal McRae	74 Royals
INF	Ronnie Belliard	01 Brewers
Pitching
code:
Position	Player	Team
SP1	Bob Caruthers	86 Browns
SP2	Greg Maddox	02 Braves
SP3	Al Downing	68 Yankees
SP4	Josh Beckett	10 Red Sox
SP5	Kevin Millwood	02 Braves

CL	Sean Burnett	12 Nationals
SU	Rafel Perez	11 Indians
SR	Tony Sipp	11 Indians
SR	Vinnie Pestano	01 Brewers
MR	Chris Perez	11 Indians
LR	Mark Prior	05 Cubs
Just use my same strategy/park from the regular season.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010
Well, mission accomplished, I guess, except for burning out yet another pitcher from my bullpen. :-/

Not too broken up about the dropped title, but that by dropping it I spurred the goddamn Tornados onto a winning streak that cost me the pick em too. :argh:

SL XI DLDS Roster

Lineups

vs RHP
2B Alomar
LF Speaker
SS Cronin
CF Charleston
1B Thomas
RF Robinson
C Torre
3B Frisch
P Pitcher

vs LHP
LF Speaker
SS Cronin
RF Robinson
1B Thomas
CF Charleston
C Torre
3B Youkilis
2B Kent
P Pitcher

Bench
C Martinez
2B Kent/Alomar
SS Jeter
IF Youkilis/Frisch
LF O'Doul
RF Oliva

Pitching

SP1 Paige
SP2 Seaver
SP3 Drysdale
SP4 Ryan
CL Myers
SU Bedrosian
SR Wetteland
SR Rhodes
MR Bentancourt
LR Koosman
Mop Fernandez

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

Smasher Dynamo posted:

THE REGULAR SEASON OF SUPER-LEAGUE XI IS OVER!

The first update of the Gauntlet will be Friday, teams have until then to figure out their Gauntlet/Playoff rosters or ask me advice on how to fix their teams.

Can I/Should I roll out a four man rotation in the Gauntlet? Or will that tire people out too drastically?

Can you explain to me how Garret Anderson was my best hitter in a league of the best players of all time? Should I bank on that continuing and keep him atop my lineup or did I get a lucky roll?

As the last replacement player scab to retire from MLB, does Ron Mahay receive a ratings boost against our league's resident communists? I think I read that somewhere in the rules.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

DannoMack posted:

Can I/Should I roll out a four man rotation in the Gauntlet? Or will that tire people out too drastically?

Can you explain to me how Garret Anderson was my best hitter in a league of the best players of all time? Should I bank on that continuing and keep him atop my lineup or did I get a lucky roll?

As the last replacement player scab to retire from MLB, does Ron Mahay receive a ratings boost against our league's resident communists? I think I read that somewhere in the rules.

Since there's only 40 games per Gauntlet round, it's okay to run a 4 man rotation, as there'll be ample days off to rest players.

Anderson will not repeat his performance. Go with your best overall lineup.

No. He does however get a complementary box of chocolates each year from the front office.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Post-Season Pick 'em!

Are you an expansion owner who desperately needs another high pick in the Dispersal Draft? (Note: If you are an expansion owner, by definition you desperately need another high pick in the Dispersal Draft.)

It's time for the Post-Season pick 'em. The way this works is that Expansion owners will make picks, and whoever has the highest score at the end of the post-season gets a sandwich pick in the Dispersal Draft. For Gauntlet rounds and the Wildcard Showdowns, you'll just pick the winner, while for series, you'll pick the winners, number of games, and score of the final game. Hopefully FairGame or ToiletofSadness will pop by with a bit more detail about how the scoring works for that.

But that'll be a bit later. For today, all you have to do is pick the winners:

Pick the Winner: Wildcard Showdowns!
Cancun Tornados @ CERN Colliders
Louisville Muggers @ South Bolton Eazy W's

Pick the Survivors: Gauntlet, Round 1
Pick TWO!
Brainerd Oxen [.352]
United Soviets of Cosmonautic Baseball [.358]
Lake Louise Longshots [.377]
Lombard St. Gumshoes [.407]

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
I know that a lot of you aren't sure who to pick in the playoffs so...

Wildcard Showdown Preview!

Dynamo League Wildcard Showdown: Cancun Tornados @ CERN Colliders

Owner: UltimoDragonQuest
Record: 88-74, 2nd Place, Memento Mori Division
Runs Scored: 707 (9th of 16 Teams)
Runs Against: 638 (2nd of 16 Teams)
Playoff History:
SLVIII: Tornados d. Rockford Losers (3-2) in DLDS
SLVIII: Fukuoka Finger-Bangers d. Tornados (4-3) in DLCS
SLIX: Coburns d. Tornados (1-0) in DL Wildcard Showdown
SLX: Coburns d. Tornados (3-0) in DLDS

Team Overview

First, I'd like to applaud myself for forgetting that the Coburns had beaten the Tornados in four straight playoff games before that amazing comeback in the last week. There was a ready-made storyline there, and I ignored it completely! Outstanding.

At any rate, the Tornados have, one would think, gotten that particular monkey off their back already, as they swept the Coburns three straight to put themselves into the playoffs, as well as win the Canadian Championship. Now they'll face a somwhat sterner test in the CERN Colliders who, but for the Somali Pirates being even better, would be recognized as one of the elite teams in the Dynamo League. If they can get past the Colliders, they'll get the honor, dubious though it may be, of facing the Losers in the DLDS, though it worth noting that, the last time the Tornados marched into Rockford as heavy underdogs, they left as conquerors.

In terms of roster construction, the Tornados are in theory a well-rounded team but, this year at least, have lived and died with their pitching, which was leigitmately fantastic, to be sure, with the highest ERA among their front-four starters being 3.23, and not a single member of their entire staff having an mark above 3.58. So, even if they aren't scoring runs, they're still a legitimately frightening team.

And they do actually have some great pieces on offense. Ted Williams is one of the best hitters who ever lived. John McGraw is a master at drawing walks. Tris Speaker has a great hit tool. Of course, below that, things start to get a bit ropey, after all, they do start Joe Kelley at 1B, but with their pitching, it just might be enough.

Owner: theacox
Record: 93-69, 2nd Place, Sic Transit Vir Division
Runs For: 771 (6th of 16 Teams)
Runs Against: 712 (7th of 16 Teams)
Playoff History:
SLIX: Missed Playoffs
SLX: Florida Oranges d. Colliders (1-0) in DL Wildcard Showdown

Team Overview

That's right, this game is the battle of the last two teams to lose in the Dynamo League Wildcard Showdown, and who have lost a combined five straight playoff games. But hey, at least one of these teams is going to finally break through.

The Colliders are really only known for their Double-Ruth outfield, but they have some other nice pieces as well. While their rotation is quite as otherworldly as the Tornados, but it's still quite effective, especially since the Colliders played in a division with considerably more offense than Cancun. None of their starters have an ERA above 3.73, and while their bullpen has a couple of rough spots, like Tom Gordon and and the lesser Robb Nen, but they've been basically solid overall.

In terms of offense, they have an incredible top of the lineup, with Sandberg, the two Ruths and Lou Gehrig all producing good numbers. Below that, though, they have three guys all of whom have OBPs under .300. Then again, when you have two Babe Ruths, you can overcome that sort of thing.

If the Colliders beat the Tornados, they'll move on to face the Losers in what will be a tough series for CERN to win, as the Losers' offense won't be nearly as easy on the Colliders as the Tornados will be. Still, in a best-of-five series, anything can happen.

Positional Breakdown

Catcher
CAN: King Kelly (R) (.258/.301/.361, 3 HRs, 15 SBs)
CER: Wally Schang (S) (.212/.273/.315, 7 HRs, 6 SBs)

The two fastest catchers in the Super-League! Which, admittedly, doesn't really mean poo poo. Neither hit particularly well over the course of the season, and, of course, King Kelly makes roughly 10 errors per game, but I'll take his bat over Schang's.

EDGE: Tornados

First Baseman
CAN: Joe Kelley (R) (.315/.385/.380, 0 HRs, 11 SBs)
CER: Lou Gehrig (L) (.278/.339/.424, 13 HRs, 4 SBs)

Do I seriously have to explain how Lou Gehrig is better than a first baseman with no power?

EDGE: Colliders

Second Baseman
CAN: Jackie Robinson (R) (.268/.338/.405, 6 HRs, 3 SBs)
CER: Ryne Sandberg (R) (.285/.335/.434, 19 HRs, 27 SBs)

Riggs would be here but for injury, but with him out, it's up to the ancient Jackie Robinson to save the day. And he hasn't done a bad job, it's just that Sandberg has had a great season for a middle infielder.

Third Baseman
CAN: John McGraw (L) (.293/.382/.352, 1 HRs, 58 SBs)
CER: Steve Garvey (R) (.270/.297/.367, 2 HRs, 3 SBs)

McGraw has negative power, but draws ridiculous numbers of walks, and has a ton of steals, and while he has deadball glove problems, Garvey was cosmically and comically terrible at third base, with an incredibly erratic throwing arm to the point where, even after he moved to first base, he still trying to avoid tossing the ball to the pitcher whenever possible.

Shortstop
CAN: Ernie Banks (R) (.216/.255/.329, 12 HRs, 4 SBs)
CER: Robin Yount (R) (.242/.285/.336, 10 HRs, 11 SBs)

Neither had a good year, both were two-time MVPs, and neither where great defensively, though neither were terrible either. Still, I'm going to buck traditional wisdom and go with raw power over all else.

Left Fielder
CAN: Ted Williams (L) (.289/.392/.467, 20 HRs, 2 SBs)
CER: Babe Ruth (L) (.305/.404/.596, 42 HRs, 5 SBs)

Williams is great, but Ruth is probably the DL MVP.

Center Fielder
CAN: Tris Speaker (L) (.296/.350/.374, 1 HRs, 9 SBs)
CER: Earle Combs (L) (.278/.328/.370, 5 HRs, 7 SBs)

Speaker is falling apart due to his age, as 36 is awfully old for a center fielder in any era, but he's still got good contact skills, and he's not exactly facing the stiffest competition in the world in the form of Earle Combs. It's closer that it would be if Speaker were in his prime, but the Grey Eagle still carries the day.

Right Fielder
CAN: Duke Snider (L) (.271/.342/.468, 24 HRs, 1 SBs)
CER: Babe Ruth (L) (.278/.371/.491, 27 HRs, 0 SBs)

Snider has two problems here:

1. He's not very good at handling left-handed pitching, and Ford is a left-handers and,
2. He is not Babe Ruth.

He might be able to overcome the first, but I don't see any realistic possibility of him fixing the second.

Bench
CAN: Albert Belle, Aramis Ramirez, Roy Campanella, Mike Trout, Joe Cronin, Willie Stargell
CER: Nap Lajoie, Tony Lazzeri, Eddie Mathews, Andy Pafko, Joe Adcock, Eddie Murray

Neither side has a great bench, but the Tornados' bench makes me feel less sad inside.

Starting Pitcher
CAN: Don Drysdale (R) (10-9, 3.17, 122 Ks, 215.2 IP)
CER: Whitey Ford (L) (3-3, 3.34, 35 Ks, 59.1 IP)

Kind of obvious, even if the Tornados are not quite set up to handle a left-hander. But, then again, Whitey Ford has a long history of Super-League disaster

Bullpen
CAN: Steve Bedrosian, Clem Labine, Sparky Lyle, Mike Adams
CER: Jeff Reardon, Rick Aguilera, Robb Nen, another Robb Nen

On performance alone, the Tornados are pretty far ahead of the Colliders, and they also beat the Colliders when it comes to Cy Young winners, even if Sparky Lyle and Steve Bedrosian are not exactly two of the more illustrious

Also, Rollie Fingers is out for the game, but, well, you've seen how he does in the playoffs, yes? This is probably a good thing for the Tornados.

Conclusion

Double-Ruth meets lucha justice! Who will prevail? And what will become of the survivors?

Smasher League Wildcard Showdown: Louisville Muggers @ South Bolton Eazy W's

Owner: Monicroooooooooooo!
Record: 87-75
Runs Scored: 790 (5th of 16 Teams)
Runs Against: 685 (3rd of 16 Teams)
Playoff History:
SLX: Cuba Batmen d. Muggers (1-0) in SL Wildcard Playoff

Team Overview

Does anyone have any confidence in this team? By all rights, we should. They have a strong offense, with not a single starter having an OBP under .306, they have a bafflingly strong rotation, despite it being ravaged by injuries. They are a good team.

But still, it feels like it's a house of cards just waiting to collapse. Their best pitcher is Robin Roberts, who went 20-11 with 2.78 ERA, but he isn't a great power pitcher, and he, until Jamie Moyer decided to pitch forever, held the career record for most home runs given up. He's a very good pitcher, and that is exactly the type of pitcher that gets lit up in the Super-League.

The offense is solid, but it's all about functional mid-range power than it is about blowing other teams away. The Muggers had four players hit over 20 home runs this season, but those hitters had OBPs of .323, .314., .306, and .342, and that last one belongs to Mark McGwire, who is injured, and won't be playing in this game.

In one game, anything can happen, but I don't have a ton of confidence in the Muggers, either here or in a matchup with the Rakers. That probably means they'll win the championship.

Owner: ForeverBWFC
Record: 89-73
Runs Scored: 833 (2nd of 16 Teams)
Runs Against: 711 (4th of 16 Teams)
Playoff History:
SLII: Framingham Fillies d. Eazy W's (3-2) in SLDS
SLIII: Eazy W's d. Los Angeles Bobbleheads (3-1) in SLDS
SLIII: Honolulu Lava Flows d. Eazy W's (4-1) in SLCS
SLIV: Eazy W's d. Juneau Juggernauts (3-0) in SLDS
SLIV: Gander Doppel-Bangers d. Eazy W's (4-3) in SLCS
SLV: Missed Playoffs
SLVI: Missed Playoffs
SLVII: Chicago Bobbleheads d. Eazy W's (3-0) In SLDS
SLVIII: Eazy W's d. Luna Landers (3-0) in SLDS
SLVIII: Finger Lakes Phoenixes d. Eazy W's (4-1) in SLCS
SLIX: Missed Playoffs
SLX: Eazy W's d. Cuba Batman (1-0) in SL Wildcard Showdown
SLX: Galactic Wanderers d. Eazy W's (3-0) in SLDS

Team Overview

The Eazy W's are a team drowning in history. The Eazy W's are the only team to have played in every single one of the first eleven Super-Leagues. The W's have been up. The W's have been down. They have fought their way out of the first round of the Gauntlet. They have come one game short of the Super-League finals. They have done everything but make the Super-League Finals and win that championship.

And say what you want about this team never quite reaching the finals, but it takes a damned good team to survive for eleven seasons. I'll be the first to admit, they are a team that takes full advantage of its home ground. ForeverBWFC knows that if he puts left-handed hitters with mid-range power or better in his lineup, they'll be able to yank the ball over the right-field fence for an easy home run. The team doesn't run well, and draws walks, but not a ton of them. But they have a Babe Ruth, and a bunch of good contact hitters, and that's been enough to give them one of the better offenses in the Super-League.

The pitching has been more troubled. Cy Young and Pete Alexander have been great, as usual, and Tom Glavine has been a pleasant surprise, albeit mostly in a stadium that caters to his strengths, but Koufax has had a rough season, mostly from giving up home runs, and Jeff Tesreau is somehow a downgrade over Jack McDowell, which is rather ominous. And God help the W's if they need to go to their bullpen, which has been a house of horrors this season.

If they win, they'll get to continue their seasons-long feud against the Walney Rakers, against whom they went 5-7 this season. It's a good feud as Walney and South Bolton are only one or two hours away from each other, which is a short drive by American standards, and a three or four day trip in England.

Positional Breakdown

Catcher
LOU: Smoky Burgess (L) (.304/.354/.430, 3 HRs, 0 SBs)
SLA: Ted Simmons (S) (.267/.319/.394, 7 HRs, 1 SBs)

Smoky Burgess isn't as good as Ted Simmons in general, and has to face a left-handed pitcher.

EDGE: W's

First Baseman
LOU: Mark Grace (L) (.255/.321/.351, 10 HRs, 4 SBs)
SLA: John Olerud (L) (.274/.347/.433, 18 HRs, 0 SBs)

Two similar players, contact guys with moderate power and decent fielding skills. My heart says Grace, because we all want him to get that gyros, but Olerud has the platoon advantage in this game, and Grace doesn't.

Second Baseman
LOU: Nap Lajoie (R) (.287/.318/.384, 1 HR, 7 SBs)
SLA: Lou Whitaker (L) (.266/.317/.400, 18 HRs, 6 SBs)

Similar OPSes, surprisingly, even though Whitaker hit 18 times as many home runs. That said, the W's home stadium isn't conducive to doubles hitters, and Whitaker is also a much better fielder.

Third Baseman
LOU: Eddie Mathews (L) (.205/.306/.363, 20 HRs, 0 SBs)
SLA: Scott Rolen (R) (.241/.312/.385, 14 HRs, 7 SBs)

And remember, death is not an option.

Here's my thinking: I trust Rolen to hit a tired Bunning a lot more than Mathews to hit a left-hander, and Rolen is also a much better fielder.

Shortstop
LOU: Luke Appling (R) (.315/.386/.390, 2 HRs, 5 SBs)
SLA: Cal Ripken (R) (.268/.316/.417, 17 HRs, 2 SBs)

I'll take that 70 points of OBP over Ripken's Iron Man streak, which will do jack poo poo in this one, nine-inning game.

EDGE: Muggers

Left Fielder
LOU: Carl Yastrzemski (L) (.256/.323/.423, 21 HRs, 2 SBs)
SLA: Al Simmons (R) (.279/.305/.455, 18 HRs, 3 SBs)

Yaz is in the right stadium to sneak a home run, thanks to its short right field fence, but it's a close call.

Center Fielder
LOU: Richie Ashburn (L) (.326/.401/.407, 3 HRs, 13 SBs)
SLA: Duke Snider (L) (.237/.306/.391, 17 HRs, 3 SBs)

Snider looks about dead, and without the Coliseum to boost his power numbers, he probably wouldn't have been usable. Of course, he does get to play in the Coliseum for this game, and against a right-handed pitcher, to boot. Still, he got out-slugged by Richie Ashburn, who hit 29 career home runs.

Right Fielder
LOU: Dave Winfield (R) (.255/.314/.444, 22 HRs, 4 SBs)
SLA: Babe Ruth (L) (.290/.387/.566, 40 HRs, 2 SBs)

RUTH!

Designated Hitter
LOU: Chipper Jones (S) (.307/.386/.523, 5 HRs, 2 SBs)
SLA: Ed Delahanty (R) (.317/.349/.436, 7 HRs, 20 SBs)

Interesting. Divorced from any fielding responsibilities, Jones' power probably gives him a bit of an edge over Delahanty. Another close call.

Bench
LOU: Willie McCovey, Zack Wheat, Pete Runnels
SLA: Adam Dunn, Howard Johnson, Darren Daulton, Mark Bellhorn, Asdrubal Cabrera

The Muggers bench is very short due to injury. Wheat is a punchless corner outfielder, which isn't super-great. McCovey is a left-handed bat with a lot of power, so he might be good for a pinch-hitting appearance if the W's put in a right-handed reliever in the late innings, and Pete Runnels will probably sub in for Lajoie at some point just to put a better glove out on the field. Still, not great.

The W's, on the other hand, had four True Warriors of the True True Outcomes. They will draw walks and hit home runs, and if they have to strike out 1000 times to do so, then so be it. And before you say you can't win with guys like that, Bellhorn has a World Series Ring, Daulton has a World Series Ring. Howard Johnson has TWO World Series Rings. Adam Dunn has....well, he's Adam Dunn. He's entertainment personified.

Starting Pitcher
LOU: Jim Bunning (R) (15-10, 3.79, 174 Ks, 244.2 IP)
SLA: Tom Glavine (L) (4-0, 2.41, 68 Ks, 112.0 IP)

I kind of doubt that Jim Bunning (R-KY) is going to survive this game on short rest.

EDGE: W's (by default)

Bullpen
LOU: John Wetteland, Dan Quisenberry, Bill Hands, Doug Jones
SLA: Dave Smith, Sparky Lyle, Robb Nen, Rob Dibble

Eri Yoshida is the 2nd best reliever the W's have. So, gently caress.

Conclusion

Thunderdome! Two men enter, one man leaves!

But someday, some way, I hope that we can all get....Beyond Thunderdome.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Pick TWO!

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Cancun Tornados
@ South Bolton Eazy W's

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Pick TWO!

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Hopefully FairGame or ToiletofSadness will pop by with a bit more detail about how the scoring works for that.
Since I have some down time here while waiting for some engineering reviews, I'll repost the rules that I posted last season with some small edits/clarifications since I'm pretty sure they were what FairGame was using.

ToiletofSadness posted:

Playoff Pick 'em Scoring Rules

Expansion Owners (and Expansion Owners only!): During the the Super League post season, which includes not only the playoffs but also the Gauntlet, you'll be picking the winners and losers. Do it well and you will earn yourself an additional Dispersal Draft pick between rounds 1 and 2. To give you an idea of the kind of value that can add to your team, last year's pick em winner was able to add an in-prime Albert Pujols (he's also playing out of round 2 of the gauntlet, but try not to think about that).

So for the Wild Card round, things will be very simple: pick the winning team, get a point.

For the Gauntlet, it works essentially the same way: each correct pick earns you 2 points.

For the other playoff series, you will have to correctly pick the following:
  • For 1 point: the series winner
  • For 3 points: the number of games in the series, but you must also get the series winner to get these points.
  • For 10 points: the score of the final game in the series. However, you can earn 4 points if you end up within 1 run of each team's score in the final game.

As an example of how this last rule works, let's assume you were picking for last season's Dynamo League Championship series between the Finger-Bangers and the Tonados. We know that the Finger-Bangers won the last game in that series 18-4. To get the 10 points you would have to pick Finger-Bangers 18, Tornados 4; picking Tornados 18, Finger-Bangers 4 would get you 0 points. Choosing any of 19-3, 19-4, 19-5, 18-3, 18-5, 17-3, 17-4, or 17-5 for the Finger-Bangers would get you the 4 points.

There's one instance where getting the winner of the series wrong can still earn you some bonus points: if the final game is a 1-run game. Say, for example, the final game of the upcoming Imperialists/Pirates series ends with a 2-1 score for the Imperialists. If you had picked 2-1 and Imperialists as the series winner, you're going to get 10 points (+ 1 for getting the series winner right). However, if you had guessed 2-1 Pirates that's still worth 4 points.

For each Gauntlet update, you can score at most 4 points, and for each playoff series update, your maximum is 14.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

After learning the gauntlet is only 40 games, please drop Kevin Millwood into the minors and promote Chad Fox as a middle reliever.

Brainerd Oxen
Lombard St. Gumshoes

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!

That's about as good a regular season as I could really hope for to be honest. Now for the playoffs, where frankly I have no idea what to expect.

Changes:

- Flip the Crawford/Kaline platoon so that Crawford is the one starting against RHP.
- Swap Vance and Matlack in the rotation. Vance should thus be starting game one of the SLDS.
- Slightly risky, but send down Darwin, promoting Furillo to the 25-man roster for an extra bench bat. Actually no, on second thought don't do this.

Ginge fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 30, 2013

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Brainerd Oxen
Lombard St. Gumshoes

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Pick TWO!

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Post-Season Pick 'em!

Pick TWO!
Brainerd Oxen [.352]

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
Post-Season Pick 'em!

Pick TWO!
Brainerd Oxen [.352]

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

COLLIDERS MUGGERS LONGSHOTS GUMSHOES

Also if anybody needs, I'm using the same document I did for normal pick 'em, but with an additional worksheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvhK1RX1-jWLdEJTRElCeU1zMVpLdWlNeEdVeEVEVmc&usp=drive_web#gid=2

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Post-Season Pick 'em!

Pick TWO!
Brainerd Oxen [.352]

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Pick TWO!
Brainerd Oxen [.352]

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

quote:

Pick TWO!
Brainerd Oxen [.352]

wooo

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Okay. Gauntlet Time Lineup and Rotation

*same stadium/setup stuff*

code:
DH LINEUP
Vs. RHP		
Order  Pos.     Name		
1	2B	Billy Herman
2	DH	Lance Berkman
3	1B	Adrian Gonzales
4	LF	Joe Jackson
5	RF	David Justice
6	3B	George Brett
7	CF	Andre Dawson
8	SS	Placido Polanco
9	C	Ted Simmons

Vs LHP		
1	2B	Billy Herman
2	C	Sherm Lollar
3	RF	Albert Belle
4	SS	Placido Polanco
5	CF	Andre Dawson
6	1B	Lance Berkman
7	LF	Minnie Minoso
8	3B	Troy Glaus
9	DH	Barry Larkin
Bench: All are platooning.

Dunno if I need a DH lineup, but here it is just in case.
code:
No-DH LINEUP
Vs. RHP		
Order  Pos.     Name		
1	2B	Billy Herman
2	LF	Joe Jackson
3	1B	Lance Berkman
4	RF	David Justice
5	3B	George Brett
6	CF	Andre Dawson
7	SS	Placido Polanco
8	C	Ted Simmons
9	P	

Vs LHP		
1	2B	Billy Herman
2	LF	Minnie Minoso
3	RF	Albert Belle
4	CF	Andre Dawson
5	1B	Lance Berkman
6	3B	Troy Glaus
7	SS	Placido Polanco
8	C	Sherm Lollar
9	P	
Pitching is
code:
SP1	Pedro Martinez
SP2	Billy Pierce
SP3	Mike Mussina
SP4	Carl Mays
SP5	Curt Schilling

CL	Troy Percival
SU	Mike Adams
SR	Mike Timlin
SR	Heath Bell
MR	Pete Richert
LR	Bryn Smith
No special rules or anything. Here's hoping they hold up.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Post-Season Pick 'em!
Cancun Tornados
South Bolton Eazy W's

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.

Might as well post my Gauntlet roster now.

Batters:
C - Joe Mauer ('06 Twins)
1B - Sadaharu Oh (Box prize for EC IX runner-up)
2B - The MACHINE (Box prize for EC IX runner-up)
SS - Hanley Ramirez ('10 Marlins - Dispersal Draft X)
3B - Paul Molitor ('86 Brewers)
LF - Moises Alou ('96 Expos - Super Draft XI)
CF - Carlos Beltran ('01 Royals)
RF - Roberto Clemente ('64 Pirates - Dispersal Draft IX)
DH - Hector Espino (Box prize for EC IX runner-up)

Bench:
C/1B - Mike Sweeney ('01 Royals)
CF/SS - Robin Yount ('86 Brewers)
3B - Bobby Bonilla ('88 Pirates - Dispersal Draft IX)
2B - Joe Morgan ('63 Astros)
LF - Luis Gonzalez ('96 Cubs - acquired via trade with Monicro)

Minors:
C - Tom Haller ('69 Dodgers)
1B/RF - Rusty Staub ('63 Astros)
OF - Jimmy Wynn ('63 Astros)
RF - Jermaine Dye ('01 Royals)
2B - Luis Castillo ('06 Twins)
CF - Torii Hunter ('06 Twins)

Batting order:
With DH:
1. Paul Molitor (3B)
2. Hanley Ramirez (DH)
3. Roberto Clemente (RF)
4. Sadaharu Oh (1B)
5. Joe Mauer (C)
6. Robin Yount (SS)
7. Luis Gonzalez (against RHP)/Moises Alou (against LHP) (LF)
8. The MACHINE (2B)
9. Carlos Beltran (CF)

Pitching Rotation:
1. Don Drysdale ('69 Dodgers)
2. Don Sutton ('69 Dodgers)
3. Johan Santana ('06 Twins)
4. Claude Osteen ('69 Dodgers)
5. Jim Bunning ('69 Dodgers)

Bullpen:
CL - Joe Nathan ('06 Twins)
SU - Dan Plesac ('86 Brewers)
SR - Jesse Crain ('06 Twins)
SR - Matt Guerrier ('06 Twins)
MR - Pat Neshek ('06 Twins)
LR - Jered Weaver ('12 Angels - Super Draft XI)

Minors:
Brad Radke ('06 Twins)
Jim Brewer ('69 Dodgers)
Teddy Higuera ('86 Brewers)
Dean Chance ('64 Angels - Dispersal Draft IX)

Strategy:
Hit and Run: 0
Sacrifice Bunt: 0
Squeeze Play: 0
Trying for extra bases: +2
Stealing Bases: +2
Aggressively Tagging Up: 0
Pitch Outs (to prevent stolen bases): +1
Giving Intentional Walks: 0
Pitching Around Good Hitters: +2
Bringing the Infield In: 0
Guarding the Lines: 0
Making Cutoff Throws: +1
Bringing in Pinch Hitters: +4
Bringing in Pinch Runners: 0
Starting Pitchers on Short Rest: 1
Letting Pitchers pitch through trouble: -1
Letting Pitchers rack up high pitch counts: -1

If I need a non-DH lineup as well, let me know.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

This is only the second-worst Gauntlet position my teams have had! Anyway, here's some lineups and that.

Pitching;

Babe Adams '11
Babe Adams '19
Howie Camnitz '19
Deacon Philippe '19
Claude Hendrix '19

CL John Wetteland '99
SU Paul Assenmacher '96
SR Elmer Steele '11
SR Sherry Smith '11
MR Elmer Ponder '11
LR Jack McDowell '96

Hitting:

with DH;

CF Ty Cobb '14
LF Shoeless Joe Jackson '15
1B Lou Gehrig '38
RF Albert Belle '96
3B Jim Thome vs. RHP/Carlos Baerga '96 vs. LHP
2B Bobby Doerr '42
SS Honus Wagner '19
DH Hank Aaron '68 vs. LHP/George Brett '89 vs. RHP
C Johnny Bench '75

without DH;
CF Ty Cobb '14
LF Shoeless Joe Jackson '15
1B Lou Gehrig '38
RF Albert Belle '96
3B Jim Thome vs. RHP/Carlos Baerga '96 vs. LHP
2B Bobby Doerr '42
SS Honus Wagner '19
C Johnny Bench '75
<Pitcher>

Minors;
Platoon Partners
Sandy Alomar '96
Omar Vizquel '96
Billy Williams '67

I don't have any slider changes to make.

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 31, 2013

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Division Series Previews

Owner: Viscount Slim
Record: 98-64, Memento Mori Division Champions
Runs Scored: 779 (5th of 16 Teams)
Runs Against: 605 (1st of 16 Teams)
Playoff History:
SLVI: Fukuoka Finger-Bangers d. Imperialists (3-1) in DLDS
SLVII: Rockford Losers d. Imperialists (3-0) in DLDS
SLVIII: Missed Playoffs
SLIX: Imperialists d. Cleveland Unicorns (3-0) in DLDS
SLIX: Rockford Losers d. Imperialists (4-3) in DLCS
SLX: Missed Playoffs

Team Overview

Pitching, pitching, and more pitching. Hilton Smith, Martin Dihigo and Joe Wood are probably the most consistent top three in the Super-League at this moment (though the Symphony's rotation might have more upside). If the Imperialists are going to win this series, and the Super-League Championship, it's going to be thanks to their starting rotation.

Not that the rest of the team is that bad. While I'm not a huge fan of the Imperialists' offense, which seems frustratingly inconsistent at times, and just plain not good enough at others, they do have competent bats at every position, and use platoons better than just about every other team. Defensively, they're actually pretty solid for the most part. Edmonds and Rolen are both plus-defenders, and the rest of the players are at least decent, even if Collins isn't great at turning the pivot.

The bullpen is led by Jonathan Papelbon. That said, for a bullpen that has Papelbon as its relief ace, it's not a bad unit, with Mike Timlin and los dos Eckersleys backing Papelbon up.

Still, the Imperialists aren't really all that much better than they have been in previous seasons, where they were crushed repeatedly by the Rockford Losers, who would most likely be awaiting them if they made it past the Pirates. And, for that matter, the Imperialists are probably the underdogs against the Pirates as well. If the Imperialists are going to win, it's going to require three upsets in a row, and I'm not sure if any team can pull that off.

Somali

Owner: Beet
Record: 99-63, Sic Transit Vir Division Champions
Runs Scored: 829 (2nd of 16 Teams)
Runs Against: 680 (5th of 16 Teams)
Playoff History:
SLX: Pirates d. Florida Oranges (3-2) in DLDS
SLX: Pirates d. Coburns (4-2) in DLCS
SLX: Galactic Wanderers d. Pirates (4-3) in Super-League Finals

Team Overview

A finesse team based on deadball pitching and good fielding, the Pirates are a different type of team, who do pretty much everything well, except for striking out hitters, and, admittedly, that might be a problem in the playoffs.

Still, that's a rather minor quibble. Their offense has both power and speed, with six different players on their roster hitting double-digit home runs, and three different players stealing 30 bases or more. They draw enough walks to get by, and are one of the better contact hitting teams in the Super-League. They do rely on left-handed hitters, so it is possible that a team with enough good left-handed pitchers could give them some trouble, but neither the Imperialists nor Losers, the Pirates probable opponents in their first two playoff series, fit that bill.

As far as their pitching goes, they have dead ballers, and the similarly power-challenged Paul Derringer, who is exactly as powerful as the mode of gun he is named after. Rube Waddell and Noodles the Pitcher both strikeout more batters than most deadballers, but still aren't exactly blowing many hitters away, instead mainly keeping the ball down and letting the fielders do their jobs. Against a power-bat heavy team like the Imperialists, who don't have many great contact bats, they'll probably be pretty effective, but there are lineups out there that can seriously hurt the Pirates' pitchers.

The Pirates were one game away from winning the Super-League Championship last season, and are a better team now than them. Their real test, one would think, will come against the Losers in the next round, as they should be considered the favorites in this matchup with the Imperialists.

Positional Breakdown!

Catcher
BUR: Lance Parrish (R) (.324/.363/.635, 6 HRs, 0 SBs)
SOM: Ernie Lombardi (R) (.277/.304/.357, 9 HRs, -20 SBs)

I don't know that Parrish is going to start for the Imperialists, but he did have a great finish to the season. As for the Lombardi, he's slow, not a very good fielder, and doesn't have much power. I understand why people use him, but I cannot, in good conscience, endorse it.

EDGE: Imperialists

First Baseman
BUR: Jeff Bagwell (R) (.295/.379/.448, 19 HRs, 9 SBs)
SOM: Buck Leonard (L) (.313/.371/.522, 21 HRs, 5 SBs)

Bagwell had a good season, but Leonard had a better one. Sometimes, things are just that easy.

EDGE: Pirates

Second Baseman
BUR: Eddie Collins (L) (.284/.345/.356, 1 HR, 12 SBs)
SOM: Lou Whitaker (L) (.270/.330/.419, 16 HRs, 7 SBs)

I'm going to do something here that I don't like, and that's rank someone ahead of Eddie COllins. My rationale is that this Collins hasn't had a great season, Whitaker has had a pretty good season, and is better at turning the double play. Still, I really don't like doing this.

Third Baseman
BUR: Scott Rolen (R) (.274/.327/.435, 16 HRs, 2 SBs)
SOM: Frankie Frisch (S) (.337/.369/.443, 6 HRs, 30 SBs)

Rolen hit more dingers, and has a better glove. But Frisch has a decent glove of his own, and was more productive offensively, thanks mainly to a much better contact tool, and much better wheels.

Shortstop
BUR: Robin Yount (R) (.268/.313/.369, 6 HRs, 7 SBs)
SOM: Joe Sewell (L) (.287/.356/.395, 3 HRs, 2 SBs)

Sewell's sample size is very, very small, and I don't think he's really a better hitter than Yount, mainly because of his relative lack of power. That said, because the record is incomplete, I'm going to say this is a wash.

EDGE: Push

Left Fielder
BUR: Rickey Henderson (R) (.297/.372/.429, 12 HRs, 47 SBs)
SOM: Rickey Henderson (R) (.261/.331/.398, 15 HRs, 58 SBs)

Same player, so I guess I'll go with the one with the better stats.

Center Fielder
BUR: Jim Edmonds (L) (.266/.336/.417, 12 HRs, 1 SB)
BUR: Cesar Cedeno (R) (.292/.355/.467, 4 HRs, 1 SB)
SOM: Willie Mays (R) (.291/.363/.443, 15 HRs, 9 SBs)

It's a nice platoon, but Willie Mays is Willie Mays and, for once, has actually been hitting like Willie Mays, and there's nothing that either Edmonds or Cedeno can do that Mays is not better at. Well, I suppose Cedeno is better at being an accused murderer.

Right Fielder
BUR: Lance Berkman (S) (.258/.320/.412, 17 HRs, 1 SB)
BUR: Max Carey (S) (.246/.329/.344, 1 HR, 2 SBs)
SOM: Billy Hamilton (L) (.295/.376/.374, 0 HRs, 44 SBs)

Do you really trust Launch Ballman? DO YOU? Because I don't. And I never will.

Bench
BUR: Platoon Partners, Matt Williams, Adam Dunn, Gabby Hartnett, Placido Polanco
SOM: Spud Davis, Tommy Holmes, Rafael Palmeiro. Bobby Abreu, Alan Trammell, Wally Berger

Is death an option? The Imperialists have some guys who can hit dingers on their bench, but not guys I'd want to see pinch-hitting if at all possible. On the other hand, the Pirates have guys who could start for them but for the fact that they are surplus to requirements.

SP1
BUR: Hilton Smith (R) (14-9, 3.09, 247.1 IP, 145 Ks)
SOM: Pete Alexander (R) (18-6, 3.55, 208.0, 81 Ks)

Alexander is the best playoff pitcher in Super-League history. Unless the opposing pitcher is some sort of cyborg Jesus with a railgun for a pitching arm...wait, cbx, I think I have an awesome prize for you almost winning the EC!

SP2
BUR: Martin Dihigo (R) (13-7, 2.74, 203.2 IP, 86 Ks)
SOM: Noodles the Pitcher (L) (16-3, 3.38, 242.0 IP, 102 Ks)

Dihigo does not strike out a lot of people, does he? I might have to take a look at that before next season. Still, he had a better season in most senses than Noodles, so that's that.

SP3
BUR: Joe Wood (R) (18-11, 2.40, 251.2 IP, 210 Ks)
SOM: Rube Waddell (L) (16-11, 4.04, 234.0 IP, 156 Ks)

There is not a single thing that Waddell is better at except being completely batshit insane.

SP4
BUR: Don Sutton (R) (12-8, 3.48, 214.2 IP, 125 Ks)
SOM: Mordecai Brown (R) (11-11, 3.95, 193.2 IP, 66 Ks)

Neither had great seasons, but Sutton's was better. Sutton also gets extra points for being smart enough not to put his hand into a thresher.

Bullpen
BUR: Jonathan Papelbon, Mike Timlin, Dennis Eckersley x2
SOM: Trevor Hoffman, Jay Howell, Sergio Romo, Dave LaRoche

Both make me feel sad on the inside. That said, if I have to choose, I'll go with the team with the closer who has a good fastball.

Conclusion

Could be a close series. The Pirates have better hitting, the Imperialists have better hitting, and neither has offered me a bribe yet.

Owner: mrnoun
Record: 94-68, Senor Goodtimes Division Champions
Runs Scored: 787 (6th of 16 Teams)
Runs Against: 678 (2nd of 16 Teams)
Playoff History:
None

Team Overview

mrnoun has won two Super-League Championships in a row with two different teams. If he wins again, I'm pretty sure the people of the Super-League are going to rise up in revolt.

But he's probably not going to.

The biggest thing that the Symphony have going for them is their impenetrable starting rotation. Martinez/Alexander/Halladay/Dean is basically the platonic ideal of a syncretic Super-League rotation. You have a great modern power pitcher, the acme of deadballers, the greatest pitcher of the past 10 years, and a guy who is only allowed to be this good thanks to a quirk in the Mogul engine and the feeder team selection rules. It's almost beautiful.

But the Symphony had only the second-best rotation in the Smasher League this season, and now they'll have to face the team with the best rotation, the Bangers. Meaning that, one would think, the two will just about cancel each other, meaning the team with the better offense will win.

And therein lies the problem. The Symphony's offense is, at this point, basically Josh Gibson and deep depression. Vern Stephens has had its moments this season, but when he's your 2nd-best hitter, things aren't going great for you, as the late-40s Red Sox found out much to their dismay and Ted Williams' lifelong bitterness. On the plus side, they'll have Scott Rolen back next season, and that should help a lot. On the minus side, that doesn't do poo poo for them right now.

Owner: The Merry Marauder
Record: 96-66, Mark Bellhorn Division Champions
Runs Scored: 810 (4th of 16 Teams)
Runs Against: 673 (1st of 16 Teams)
Playoff History:
SLII: Virginia City Vigilantes d. Bangers (3-2) in DLDS
SLIII: Bangers d. Providence Murderbots (3-1) in DLDS
SLIII: Bangers d. Cleveland Unicorns (4-3) in DLCS
SLIII: Bangers d. Honolulu Lava Flows (4-0) in Super-League Finals
SLIV: Missed Playoffs
SLV: Bangers d. Rockford Losers (3-1) in DLDS
SLV: Bangers d. Florida Oranges (4-1) in DLCS
SLV: Gander Doppel-Bangers d. Bangers (4-0) in Super-League Finals
SLVI: Bangers d. Burma Imperialists (3-1) in DLDS
SLVI: Bangers d. Rockford Losers (4-1) in DLCS
SLVI: Chicago Bobbleheads d. Bangers (4-1) in Super-League Finals
SLVII: Bangers d. Dubai Dervishes (3-1) in DLDS
SLVII: Rockford Losers d. Bangers (4-2) in DLCS
SLVIII: Bangers d. Coburns (3-1) in DLDS
SLVIII: Bangers d. Cancun Tornados (4-3) in DLCS
SLVIII: Bangers d. Finger Lakes Phoenixes by forfeit in Super-League Finals
SLX: Walney Rakers d. Bangers (3-2) in SLDS

Team Overview

The Bangers are a loving enigma at this point. They have enough hitting talent to stock two teams, but only scored the 4th-most runs in the Smasher League this season. Their rotation shouldn't be overpowering, but it has been. And for all of the poo poo I give them about the Rollie Fingers Duo, the do have a fairly solid bullpen.

In general, this team is built in what I like to call the Marauder Method: Clump together as many talented players as possible, and then just hope for the best. The problem with this method is that the players often don't fit together particularly well. The Bangers have typically had an absolutely brutal defense, though they've at least moved Lloyd and Lajoie out of the starting lineup, which has helped that out.

The other complicated factor is that Marauder has some many hitters that it's nearly impossible to predict exactly how he'll arrange them for this series. With the broad range of pitchers employed by the Symphony, it seems likely that Marauder will just put his best hitters out there and hope for the best, but Marauder rarely acts in any predictable fashion, so I guess we'll see.

This team could win a championship in a walk, and they could get swept by the Symphony in the first round.

Positional Breakdown!

Catcher
NYS: Brian McCann (L) (.260/.299/.390, 11 HRs, 2 SBs)
NYF: Yogi Berra (L) (.238/.290/.365, 13 HRs, 0 SBs)

I know that McCann has the better stats, but Berra is the fundamentally better player, and that's just how it is.

EDGE: Bangers

First Baseman
NYS: Jose Bautista (R) (.239/.350/.343, 1 HR, 0 SBs)
NYF: Frank Thomas (R) (.276/.348/.502, 31 HRs, 0 SBs)

Don't get wrong, Bautista has been good these past few years, but in his prime, as this Frank Thomas is, the Big Hurt was considered the greatest right-handed hitter of his era. And defense doesn't really mean poo poo at first base anyway.

Second Baseman
NYS: Marty McManus (R) (.289/.335/.419, 10 HRs, 11 SBs)
NYF: Nap Lajoie (R) (.327/.351/.411, 2 HRs, 2 SBs)
NYF: Joe Morgan (L) (.212/.315/.315, 5 HRs, 8 SBs)

I'm not sure who Marauder is going to start, but, again, both Morgan and Lajoie are better players than McCanus, who was playing out of his mind this season, and still didn't have a flashy stat line to show for it. And McManus isn't so good with the glove that it's going to be a tiebreaker for him anyway.

EDGE: Bangers, probably.

Third Baseman
NYS: Josh Gibson (R) (.302/.370/.564, 43 HRs, 3 SBs)
NYF: Edgar Martinez (R) (.262/.340/.406, 13 HRs, 4 SBs)

Josh Gibson is the real god of thunder, but you know how much people complained when they cast Idris Elba as Heimdall, and this would be even worse...

EDGE: Symphony

Shortstop
NYS: Vern Stephens (R) (.311/.354/.471, 16 HRs, 2 SBs)
NYF: Lou Boudreau (R) (.257/.315/.346, 7 HRs, 2 SBs)

At the time, Boudreau for Stephens was a trade that Bill Veeck thought about making, and Stephens has clearly outperformed Boudreau this season.

Left Fielder
NYS: Ken Williams (L) (.255/.313/.372, 6 HRs, 3 SBs)
NYF: Barry Bonds (L) (.256/.362/.466, 23 HRs, 8 SBs)

Ken Williams used a cork bat. Big loving whoop. Barry Bonds mastered biochemistry to become the all-time leader in home runs.

Center Fielder
NYS: Sam Rice (L) (.286/.326/.377, 2 HRs, 1 SB)
NYF: Tris Speaker (L) (.313/.365/.424, 8 HRs, 12 SBs)

No contest.

Right Fielder
NYS: Dave Parker (L) (.255/.313/.443, 5 HRs, 0 SBs)
NYF: Ty Cobb (L) (.335/.380/.430, 3 HRs, 11 SBs)

Also no contest.

Designated Hitter
NYS: Frank Thomas (R) (.225/.314/.382, 14 HRs, 2 SBs)
NYF: Ted Williams (L) (.320/.401/.530, 28 HRs, 0 SBs)

In his prime, Frank Thomas was still not as good as Ted Williams. And this Frank Thomas is basically washed up.

Bench
NYS: Ron Cey, Aaron Hill, Davey Lopes, Baby Doll Jackson, Vernon Wells
NYF: Who the gently caress knows?

The Bangers have an infinite supply of players to draw from, and it's not like the Symphony has much of anything left on their bench at this point.

SP1
NYS: Pedro Martinez (R) (11-7, 3.17, 207.1 IP, 230 Ks)
NYF: Nolan Ryan (R) (11-12, 4.49, 228.2 IP, 215 Ks)

Pedro not only was the better pitcher in this season, he was also the better pitcher over his career, and by quite a bit.

SP2
NYS: Pete Alexander (R) (20-6, 2.92, 224.2 IP, 78 Ks)
NYF: Joe Williams (R) (19-10, 3.02, 247.1 IP, 151 Ks)

Alexander is still the best post-season pitcher in Super-League histor, and Joe Williams is not cyber-Jesus.

SP3
NYS: Roy Halladay (R) (14-9, 2.93, 215.0 IP, 151 Ks)
NYF: Addie Joss (R) (19-10, 2.99, 253.0 IP, 85 Ks)

It's close, but in a pinch, I'll go with strikeouts, especially since the Bangers defense really can't be trusted to be much help behind Joss.

EDGE: Symhpony

SP4
NYS: Dizzy Dean (R) (13-6, 3.54, 167.2 IP, 77 Ks)
NYF: Dazzy Vance (R) (15-10, 3.38, 236.2 IP, 143 Ks)

Dizzy was the greatest pitcher of the '30s, Dazzy was the greatest pitcher of the '20s, but Dizzy was literally over a decade past his prime, and Dazzy had better stats regardless.

Bullpen
NYS: Mike Marshall, Elias Sosa, Dave Schmidt, B.J. Ryan
NYF: Rollie Fingers x2, Alfredo Aceves, Kerry Wood

I can never pick against Kerry Wood. Ever. It's part of the Cubs' fan's code. And you can't break the code.

Conclusion

The Bangers have the big guns, but the Symphony have the arms, and the Bangers have been disappointing in the playoffs before.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

Gauntlet Roster
I'm going with the 4 man rotation and I'd also like to not name a closer (closer by committee) unless you'd suggest I go with a 5 man and/or have a defined closer.

Home city: Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada
Stadium: Mary-Louise Park

pre:
30-Man Roster:

C	Gary Carter	1980 Montreal Expos	[cartega01] 
1B	Jeff Bagwell	1998 Houston Astros	[bagweje01] 
2B	Rogers Hornsby	1928 Boston Braves	[hornsro01] 
SS	Bobby Grich	1970 Baltimore Orioles  [grichbo01]
3B	Miguel Tejada	1999 Oakland Athletics	[tejadmi01] 
LF	Boog Powell	1970 Baltimore Orioles	[powelbo01] 
CF	Ken Griffey Jr.	2006 Cincinnati Reds	[griffke02] 
RF	Frank Robinson	1970 Baltimore Orioles	[robinfr02] 
DH	Jason Giambi	1999 Oakland Athletics	[giambja01] 

BENCH	
C 	Ramon Hernandez	1999 Oakland Athletics	[hernara02]
OF 	Garret Anderson	2000 Anaheim Angels	[anderga01]
3B	Brooks Robinson 1970 Baltimore Orioles	[robinbr01] 
OF 	Tim Raines	1980 Montreal Expos	[raineti01] 
OF 	Ellis Valentine	1980 Montreal Expos	[valenel01]

PITCHING	
SP1     Greg Maddux    1993 Atlanta Braves      [maddugr01]
SP2	Jim Palmer	1970 Baltimore Orioles	[palmeji01] 
SP3	Bob Gibson	1959 St Louis Cardinals [gibsobo01] 
SP4	Steve Rogers	1980 Montreal Expos	[rogerst01] 

BULLPEN	
RP	J. Wettelend      1994  Montreal Expos      [wettejo01]
RP	Lindy McDaniel	1965 Chicago Cubs	[mcdanli01]	 
RP	Greg McMichael	1999 Oakland Athletics  [mcmicgr01]
RP	J. Isringhausen	1999 Oakland Athletics	[isrinja01] 
RP	Pete Richert	1970 Baltimore Orioles	[richepe01] 
LR	Mike Cuellar	1970 Baltimore Orioles	[cuellmi01] 	
LR	Dave McNally	1970 Baltimore Orioles  [mcnalda01] 

MINORS

C  	Elrod Hendricks	1970 Baltimore Orioles	[hendrel01] 
IF 	Davey Johnson	1970 Baltimore Orioles	[johnsda02] 
OF 	Tim Raines	1999 Oakland Athletics  [raineti01]
SP	Kevin Appier	1999 Oakland Athletics  [appieke01]
RP     Eddie Watt	1970 Baltimore Orioles	[watted01]  
RP    Ron Mahay	1999 Oakland Athletics	[mahayro01] 
SP      Tim Hudson	1999 Oakland Athletics	[hudsoti01]

Batting Order (DH):
pre:
vs. RHP
CF	Ken Griffey Jr. L
1B	Jeff Bagwell R
DH	Jason Giambi L
2B	Rogers Hornsby R
LF	Boog Powell L
SS	Bobby Grich R
RF	Garrett Anderson L
C	Gary Carter R
3B	Miguel Tejada R

vs. LHP
SS	Bobby Grich R
1B	Jeff Bagwell R
2B	Rogers Hornsby R
LF	Frank Robinson	 R
DH	Jason Giambi L
C	Gary Carter R
CF	Tim Raines S
RF	Ellis Valentine R
3B	Miguel Tejada R
Batting Order (w/o DH):
pre:
vs. RHP
CF	Ken Griffey Jr. L
1B	Jeff Bagwell R
3B	Jason Giambi L
2B	Rogers Hornsby R
LF	Boog Powell L
SS	Bobby Grich R
RF	Garrett Anderson L
C	Gary Carter R

vs. LHP
SS	Bobby Grich R
1B	Jeff Bagwell R
2B	Rogers Hornsby R
LF	Frank Robinson	 R
3B	Jason Giambi L
C	Gary Carter R
CF	Tim Raines S
RF	Ellis Valentine R

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

DannoMack posted:

Gauntlet Roster
I'm going with the 4 man rotation and I'd also like to not name a closer (closer by committee) unless you'd suggest I go with a 5 man and/or have a defined closer.

As far as I know there's no way to not have a defined closer, mogul is kinda dumb about stuff like that.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Gauntlet time, heres the roster, with that trade with Zodiac going through, which to remind people was 1938 Cecil Travis and 1902 Red Donahue for 1965 Jim Kaat and 1965 Zoilo Versalles.

pre:
Roster

C	Yogi Berra	1947	berrayo01	
1B	Fred McGriff	1999	mcgrifr01
2B	Eddie Collins	1907	collied01	
SS	Barry Larkin	1996	larkiba01	
3B	Adrian Beltre	2010	beltrad01	
CF	Joe DiMaggio	1947	dimagjo01	
LF	Albert Pujols	2006	pujolal01	
RF	Tony Gwynn	1989	gwynnto01	

S1	Rube Waddell	1907	wadderu01
S2	Chief  Bender 	1907	bendech01
S3	Eddie Plank	1907	planked01
S4	Kid Nichols	1904	nichoki01
S5	Jim Kaat        1965    kaatji01

Closer	Jonathan Papelbon	2010	papeljo01
Set up	Daniel Bard	        2010	bardda01
MRP1	Jeff Brantley	        1996	brantje01
SRP1	Hideki Okajima	        2010	okajihi01
SRP2	Roberto Hernandez	1999	hernaro01
LRP	Gaylord Perry	        1978	perryga01		

Bench				
Bret Boone	1996	2B	boonebr01	
David Ortiz	2010	1B	ortizda01	
Jose Canseco	1999	OF	cansejo01
Eric Davis	1996	OF	daviser01
Victor Martinez	2010	C	martivi01
Zoilo Versalles 1965    SS      versazo01

Minors:				
Reggie Sanders	1996	sandere02	OF	
Mike Remlinger	1996	remlimi01	RP	
Ed Taubensee	1996	taubeed01	C	
Jon Lester	2010	lestejo01	SP	
Sam Crawford    1910    crawfsa01       OF
pre:
Lineups:

DH vs RHP/LHP
1 Eddie Collins 2B
2 Tony Gwynn RF
3 Joe DiMaggio CF
4 Albert Pujols LF
5 Fred McGriff 1B
6 David Ortiz/Jose Canseco DH
7 Barry Larkin SS
8 Adrian Beltre 3B
9 Yogi Berra C
Hit and run: 0
Sacrifice bunt: -1
Squeeze Play: -3
Extra Bases: +1
Steal: 0
Tag Up: 0
Pitchout: -1
Intentional Walk: -5
Pitch Aorund: -1
Infield in: -1
Gaurd Lines: 0
Cutoff Throws: 1
Pitch Hit: -2
Pitch Run: -2
Defensive Replacements: 0
Start on Short Rest: 0
Pitch Through Trouble: -1
High Pitch Counts: 2

Stadium:
Dragon Warrior Monsters Field
Altitude: 165
Infield Quality: Excellent
Infield Grass: Very High
Visability: Excellent
Foul Ground: Average
Dimensions:
Left: 300
Left Center: 350
Center: 375
Right Center: 385
Right Field: 360

Pash fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 1, 2013

TKBomber7285
Feb 20, 2011

Pick TWO!
Brainerd Oxen [.352]

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Pick TWO!
Brainerd Oxen [.352]

Archie Goodwin
Jan 2, 2012
Using intelligence guided by experience since 1934.

As much as I would like to quietly smother this misbegotten, wretched team, I guess I would be tampering with the Pick 'Em if I didn't make a go of it.

Lombard St. Gumshoes Gauntlet Roster

SS Devil Wells
CF Mickey Mantle
LF Dick Allen
DH Jim Thome
3B Ray Dandridge
1B Mule Suttles
C Det. Don Slaught
2B Chase Utley
RF Jimmie Crutchfield

C Ernie Lombardi (catches for Bunning [R-KY])
1B Rafael Palmiero
UT Harvey Kuenn
IF Alexei Ramirez
OF Ed Stone

SP Ed Walsh
SP Eddie Plank
SP Jim Bunning
SP Fergie Jenkins
SP Larry Jackson

CL Octavio Dotel
SU Bobby Jenks
SR Matt Thornton
SR Rheal Cormier
MR Mike Garcia
LR Jim Kaat

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012
I do love the playoff previews. I know it's a lot of work, but thanks for doing 'em.

Almost Entirely Predictable Imperialist DLDS Roster

LF Rickey
2B Eddie Collins
1B Jeff Bagwell
CF Cesar Cedeno
C Lance Parrish
3B Scott Rolen
RF Carlos Beltran
SS Robin Yount

OF Max Carey
UT Lance Berkman
IF Placido Polanco
IF Matt Williams
BD Adam Dunn
C Gabby Hartnett

SP Hilton Smith
SP Martin Dihigo
SP Smoky Joe Wood
SP Don Sutton

CL Dennis Eckersley (rated 92/94)
SU Mike Timlin
SR Dennis Eckersley (rated 90)
SR Alan Embree
MR Sudden Sam McDowell
LR Bob Feller
MU Andy Messersmith

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
: Put we our quarrel to the will of heaven, mrnoun!

Finger-Bangers SLDS Roster

CF Tris Speaker
LF Barry Bonds
RF Ty Cobb
1B Frank Thomas
DH Ted Williams
3B Edgar Martinez
2B Joe Morgan
SS Lou Boudreau
C Yogi Berra

C Gabby Hartnett
IF Pop Lloyd
IF Nap Lajoie
UT Jason Giambi
OF Eric Davis

SP Joe Williams
SP Addie Joss
SP Dazzy Vance
SP J.R. Richard

CL R. Fingers
SU Rollie F.
SR Alfredo Aceves
SR Kerry Wood
MR Cliff Lee
LR Nolan Ryan
MU Orel Hershiser

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Well, it's once again time to cull the meager fanbase the Super-League has through that most brutal of mechanisms: The Gauntlet.

The rules are simple. 4 teams, 40 games each. Top two survive to head on to the next round, bottom two are relegated. And by relegated, I mean 'taken out back and shot.' Let's see how the first round has gone!

The Communists didn't beat the Nazis just to lose to these assholes!
Looks like Det. Don Slaught has one more case!
tadashi has vowed a 'brutal and unyielding revenge' on the Super-League. But hey, what's the worst they can do?
With the relegation of the Longshots, our last Canadian team, the Canadian government has terminated its subsidy to the Super-League. gently caress.

One game short. Then again, with Mark Prior on your roster, could it have ended any other way?

BEHOLD THE POWER OF COMMUNISM!

Well, your pitching was a little better at least! Also, the first season is always the hardest for an owner.

And Marauder crushes the dreams of two more owners! Truly a great man!

Postseason Pick 'em Continues: Gauntlet, Round 2!
Pick TWO!
Alma Purifiers
Cosmobats
Lombard St. Gumshoes
Ted Sox

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Alma
Lombard St.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Pick TWO!
Alma Purifiers
Cosmobats
Lombard St. Gumshoes
Ted Sox

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Pick TWO!

Alma Purifiers
Cosmobats

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Pick TWO!
Alma Purifiers
Cosmobats
Lombard St. Gumshoes
Ted Sox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Lineup shuffle for Gauntlet Round 2.

LF Joe Jackson
2B Nap Lajoie
RF Mel Ott
SS Alex Rodriguez
CF Willie Mays
DH Willie McCovey
1B Orlando Cepeda
C King Kelly
3B Brooks Robinson

Do injuries carry over from one Gauntlet round to the next? Also, are the player re-rolls for the Gauntlet are only at the beginning, or do they happen each round as well?