Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I walked past the line of people waiting for their pickup orders and got mine right away from a free sales person. Walking out I passed the same people in line. :smug:

It definitely is quite a bit faster than the 3. There no lag when typing or switching between the number and keypad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I kinda don't like the new Smart Cover (3-fold) over the old one (4-fold) because you can't fold it against itself at the halfway point and make it stick with the magnets anymore. That arrangement formed a natural finger groove, too...

I'm trying an accordion-like fold now but it's not as good.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

So there's this:

http://www.apple-tracker.com/ipad-air

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Smart Covers have always been great for me. Smart Cases, on the other hand, have been poo poo.

That was a huge rear end typo on my part. I meant smart cases. I had a Smart Cover for my ipad 2 and I loved it.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

My three year old son has delayed speech so his speech therapist suggested an app for his iPad 2. She also recommended replacing the case that we had it in (which had a built in clear screen protector) in favor of another model for kids that doesn't have a screen protector.

I went to Microcenter for some other stuff and thought I'd grab one. And they were all over $20, which I found laughable. As expected, they were way less on Amazon, but I don't want to get a "bad" one. I read the OP and didn't see any recommendations for these specifically. Are they all more or less the same or should I look for a specific one?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
This thing loving owns god drat

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

JazzFlight posted:

I kinda don't like the new Smart Cover (3-fold) over the old one (4-fold) because you can't fold it against itself at the halfway point and make it stick with the magnets anymore. That arrangement formed a natural finger groove, too...

I'm trying an accordion-like fold now but it's not as good.

I'm having the same issue. Have there been any worthwhile 3rd party covers?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

beergod posted:

This thing loving owns god drat

It's pretty absurd - my new ipad has twice the storage, twice the speed, is lighter, thinner, and just loving sexy as hell. It feels like a slightly bigger ipad mini.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Just picked mine up at the Georgetown Apple store in DC, I had pre-ordered, no problems.
I'm amazed at how light it is - I'm coming from a 3, and the speed and weight is really impressive. The weight makes it feel almost hollow - but still very solid.

Also got a red smart cover - and it's RED to the extreme. Different than the leather red cover I had for the 3.

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.

Samara posted:

you sold a 3rd gen 32 GB for 325? wow. I got a 250 bid for my 64GB 3rd gen

I love the new Air, super fast. Went 128gb...cant believe I have a tablet with that much space. Which makes me wonder, why are you people buying 16GB iPads still? Seems SO small. Top shelf games are 1GB at least.

Yeah it's about the going rate I believe. I saw multiple 3rd gens on eBay going for at least $300. One was up to $390 and counting.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Geez. I barely got 225 for a perfect condition 3.

Oh yeah the Air is loving awesome. So thin and light.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...
I was gonna wait until SwitchEasy made a Canvas for the Air before I went and got one, but I've since ordered on for pick-up because I'm weak.

Went from a 32gb WiFi 3 to a 64gb T-Mobile Air. Oww my wallet.

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.
Thin and light and snappy quick too. My 3rd gen was kinda laggy with 7. This feels much better...very responsive.

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist
I subscribe to a couple of magazines from the IOS Newsstand. I got an iPad Air today, and something must have happened while it was downloading the app for one of the magazines. One does not show in the Newsstand. When I look in the Store, it shows as downloaded. When I click Open, nothing happens. Any ideas how I can fix this? No icon shows up for the magazine, so I don't know of a way to delete it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Have you tried rebooting? That fixes basically every springboard/icon issue I've ever encountered.

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

That's right, and it's an Armani.
So I'm now seeing that tmobile's CEO is saying "the $10 per mo./fee written about today is incorrect. We had an executional mistake that we will make right" and "Yes. Everyone gets the 200MB of free data. No exceptions. No strings attached". Can anyone who purchased an air from tmobile and doesn't have a voice account with them confirm this?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Strolled into my local fruit stand and walked out with a space grey 64GB tmobile air after 5 minutes. Goddamn apple makes it so easy for me to give them money. Yes please email me my receipt thank you have a nice weekend see ya later!

First impression: How is this thing so loving light?

It also feels ultra small with the new narrow bezel, so much so that my wife had to get out a tape measure to prove to herself it's the same screen as our iPad3 and iPad2.

Also, it's motherfucking fast as hell. Best iPad yet. Is there some new wifi something going on because it's hammering the 3 and 2 at loading webpages. Still reloads tabs if you have a bunch of heavy sites loaded, but does it so fast it's not as noticeable as on the 3 or even 2.

I put the 3 and the 2 on craigslist and will maybe let one go if the offer is right, but more likely I'll dedicate one to home automation control and wifey will claim the other.

Man this thing is fast. And 200MB/mo of free LTE from tmobile is nice. AT&T wants $15 for 250MB so gently caress them and good for tmobile -- their coverage in my area is pretty decent these days, especially for free. Of course I can always swap out the sim for an AT&T sim if necessary (unlikely.)

Very happy with this new pad. No more 30pins and all lightning cables at home and work is a bonus too.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
This is my first iPad and I'm just blown away. My laptop is going to get soo dusty.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

No Egrets posted:

So I'm now seeing that tmobile's CEO is saying "the $10 per mo./fee written about today is incorrect. We had an executional mistake that we will make right" and "Yes. Everyone gets the 200MB of free data. No exceptions. No strings attached". Can anyone who purchased an air from tmobile and doesn't have a voice account with them confirm this?

Does this include those that choose to finance the iPad? I went into my store today, bought one and tried to get my free data and ended up walking out with a refund, empty handed because no one knew how to get me what they've been advertising. The only way they seemed to be able to rig it was buying the entire device outright which I can't really do...

Also does anyone know if the Air Smart Covers are up on Amazon? I can't find poo poo in their "Apple Store" and it almost feels intentional the way they push the Kindle on my home page.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Why do they want to shut up customers who want to buy an iPad? I'm sorry I think I'm misunderstanding you or something.

As somebody who wants to pick up a preorder, I'm not somebody who wants to buy one, I'm somebody who has already bought it and wants to pick it up.

What I meant by "shutting up" people is that telling people that the whole company-wide system is down is more likely to end the conversation than (accurately) telling them that it's only that store's system. The average customer hearing the first story is not very likely to ask for alternatives.

After hearing that there was a problem with the pickup, getting in line and inquiring further after a while, I was told that the wait would be "between 30 minutes and 6 hours" (I figured because the store closes at 9 pm and it was 2.30). I had then specifically asked if they could move my order to a different store, and the guy told me that personal pickup was down in all Apple stores everywhere. I looked up some websites and this thread, and since nobody had heard of that, I flat out told him that I don't believe it, but he wouldn't budge.

I went home, called 1-800-MY-APPLE, and they of course hadn't heard of pick-up being down either and that my iPad was ready for pick-up at the store in question. Since I just came from there, I asked them to get somebody from that store on the line and confirm to me that my iPad would indeed be ready for pick-up. That store person (not the same as the guy standing at the door earlier) then just said that their system had been down earlier, but that he didn't know of the whole company system being down.

I went back to the Apple Store, got in line for pick-up behind maybe 20-30 people, which moved at a snail's pace and took >1 hr also and eventually got it. All told the ordeal took me about 3.5 hours.

It sure can happen to anyone to have a computer break down, but making up stories about it and having the already delayed pre-ordered line served by maybe 3-5 out of a staff of ~30 is something else. I'm really considering giving some feedback.

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

epsilon posted:

Does this include those that choose to finance the iPad? I went into my store today, bought one and tried to get my free data and ended up walking out with a refund, empty handed because no one knew how to get me what they've been advertising. The only way they seemed to be able to rig it was buying the entire device outright which I can't really do...
I just went on their website and confirmed that it tries to charge you the monthly fee even if you pay outright.

From what I've been able to figure out from their twitter feed (man there are a lot of people pissed about this) is that once you activate the SIM card on the iPad you can log in to your account and switch it to the free option from the $10. Tmobile's current system requires you to be an "on demand, pre paid account" holder for the free data. Where the confusion seems to be coming from is what qualifies you as having an "on demand, pre paid account". From what I've been able to gather as soon as the SIM card is activated you have an account and as such will not be charged the $10.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Alright, it's decided. I'm going to buy the iPad 4th Gen with retina display.

... but I've never done this before. What's the best way to go about buying it? Order it online? Head to a brick and mortar store during the non-chaotic hours? I feel so out of touch. You kids and your newfangled technology books.

But, yeah. Help?

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

No Egrets posted:

I just went on their website and confirmed that it tries to charge you the monthly fee even if you pay outright.

From what I've been able to figure out from their twitter feed (man there are a lot of people pissed about this) is that once you activate the SIM card on the iPad you can log in to your account and switch it to the free option from the $10. Tmobile's current system requires you to be an "on demand, pre paid account" holder for the free data. Where the confusion seems to be coming from is what qualifies you as having an "on demand, pre paid account". From what I've been able to gather as soon as the SIM card is activated you have an account and as such will not be charged the $10.

Interesting. Well, it looks like I will be returning the 32 gig Wifi only Air I got today and seeing how this pans out. I can wait, I have an iPad 2...I really was sold on this poo poo when I heard about the free data and financing. The staff was helpful but clearly confused (and tired) at 8 am this morning.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

melon cat posted:

Alright, it's decided. I'm going to buy the iPad 4th Gen with retina display.

... but I've never done this before. What's the best way to go about buying it? Order it online? Head to a brick and mortar store during the non-chaotic hours? I feel so out of touch. You kids and your newfangled technology books.

But, yeah. Help?
Apple Stores won't be stocking them anymore. Your local Best Buys and Targets might still have some in stock, however. Alternatively, the online Apple Store should have some refurbs available, which are well worth buying.

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.

supersteve posted:

This is my first iPad and I'm just blown away. My laptop is going to get soo dusty.

Haha..yeah your laptop will be dusty for a little while until you integrate the iPad into your routine. At first all I used was my iPad due to the novelty of it, but that soon wears off. I use my MacBook for normal web surfing, games, productivity applications and the like. I use my iPad at work where we're not allowed to use laptops. Also use it after I'm in bed for the night, like now :v:

The Air is great. I'm LOVING the smaller bezels. It's easier to hold. I can just barely hold it with one hand. I still cannot get over the speed of it either. All my apps load near instantly now.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Endless Mike posted:

Apple Stores won't be stocking them anymore. Your local Best Buys and Targets might still have some in stock, however. Alternatively, the online Apple Store should have some refurbs available, which are well worth buying.
Ugh... I really dislike Best Buy, and the Targets that recently opened up here in Canada don't offer the same low prices as their U.S. counterpart. I guess I'll go for the refurbished items from the online Apple Store. Thanks!

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

epsilon posted:

Interesting. Well, it looks like I will be returning the 32 gig Wifi only Air I got today and seeing how this pans out. I can wait, I have an iPad 2...I really was sold on this poo poo when I heard about the free data and financing. The staff was helpful but clearly confused (and tired) at 8 am this morning.
It looks like the entire launch went pretty badly for tmobile and that a lot of stores had outdated or flat out incorrect information. But everything I've read this evening from tmobile acknowledges that it was a mistake and that you don't need any paid plan for the 200mb deal.
Eg: https://twitter.com/tmobilehelp/status/396427428199145472

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
If you're considering a 4 I would strongly advise you just hold off and save the $100 to get the air instead. The difference in the hardware is so substantial that a 4 really doesn't make sense at all.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

beergod posted:

If you're considering a 4 I would strongly advise you just hold off and save the $100 to get the air instead. The difference in the hardware is so substantial that a 4 really doesn't make sense at all.
Is that right? I never thought of doing that. Thanks for the tip!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Air is also 64 bits. Think of all the hot chicks it will impress!

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

No Egrets posted:

It looks like the entire launch went pretty badly for tmobile and that a lot of stores had outdated or flat out incorrect information. But everything I've read this evening from tmobile acknowledges that it was a mistake and that you don't need any paid plan for the 200mb deal.
Eg: https://twitter.com/tmobilehelp/status/396427428199145472

Today was a disaster for Tmobile. No one knew what they were offering, their own internal support were clueless, their systems couldn't process any payments and the employees didn't seem to know anything about the iPad as a device. People were questioning them about colors and storage options, and they seemed oblivious to the fact that there was more than one standard model. Heck, they didn't even know that there is such a thing as an iPad Mini (non retina). After wasting over an hour earlier in the day I checked back in on my way back from dinner and it seems like not a single customer was able to walk out with a device today.

Tmobile reminded us that you get what you pay for, and killed off any thoughts I had about dropping ATT entirely when my contract ends next year.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

djhaloeight posted:

Haha..yeah your laptop will be dusty for a little while until you integrate the iPad into your routine. At first all I used was my iPad due to the novelty of it, but that soon wears off. I use my MacBook for normal web surfing, games, productivity applications and the like. I use my iPad at work where we're not allowed to use laptops. Also use it after I'm in bed for the night, like now :v:

I dunno, dude. I've owned iPads since the original, and my MBP continues to gather dust. I use it a few times a week because it's a portable development machine for me, but my iPad is basically my primary device when I'm away from my desktop.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Can you read for long periods on the iPad Air using only one hand?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Vegetable posted:

Can you read for long periods on the iPad Air using only one hand?

Heheheheh. Asking for your buddy?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
God, iPads are so amazing that I think I want to cry. I'm already thinking of buying one for my theatre company's space to have as a Square machine/inventory tracker/other assorted things. Does anyone have experience using an iPad in a business setting, and is it as amazing as I imagine/want it to be?

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.
I was thinking of going out and buying an iPad today, but it seems like the cases on offer for it at the moment are pretty crap, and I don't want to have it sitting around unprotected while I wait for a decent cover to be released, nor do I want to spend money on a crappy interim cover that I then won't use.

Is this sensible or paranoid about having an unprotected iPad?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Whitefish posted:

I was thinking of going out and buying an iPad today, but it seems like the cases on offer for it at the moment are pretty crap, and I don't want to have it sitting around unprotected while I wait for a decent cover to be released, nor do I want to spend money on a crappy interim cover that I then won't use.

Is this sensible or paranoid about having an unprotected iPad?

Just don't put it in your front pocket with your car keys and you'll be fine.

If you're really worried, amazon has the Poetic Slimline for a penny plus $5 shipping. It's kept my Mini protected, though the corners will crack eventually.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I'm thinking about picking up an Air later today.

If I decide it's not for me I can return it in the next 14 days, no questions asked right? Would I have to pay a fee? (UK)

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Are returns to apple.com free shipping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

melon cat posted:

Is that right? I never thought of doing that. Thanks for the tip!

Seriously though spend the extra cash and get the Air. It's so much faster and better to hold it's worth it.