Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

thelightguy posted:

Man, I was bummed that I just got a GS4 this month after giving up on waiting for triband, but on the other hand, the triband phones they're getting aren't all that great. The LG G2 is the best of the bunch, but the carrier specific customizations mean that there will be an anemic accessory market.
Wait, the LG is the best one? Can you explain because I know next to nothing about this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003
If there was any doubt, it's now confirmed that the Nexus 5 works on Sprint
Starting at $349 unlocked from Google: https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_5_16GB_Black?id=nexus_5_black_16gb

or $149 subsidized from Sprint on November 8th:
http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-rel...tm?view_id=8028
(It's cheaper to buy a subsidized iphone, sell it, and buy a Nexus 5 outright)

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

CrashCat posted:

Wait, the LG is the best one? Can you explain because I know next to nothing about this poo poo.
Now that the Nexus 5 is official, I'd say that's the best triband phone.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

"I WILL DEVOUR 100 GENERATIONS OF YOUR FAMILY!"

lazydog posted:

Starting at $349 unlocked from Google: https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_5_16GB_Black?id=nexus_5_black_16gb

or $149 subsidized from Sprint on November 8th:
http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-rel...tm?view_id=8028

Argh, Google!

So... does anyone know if Sprint will verify employee discounts with an ESN change? I feel like I know the sad answer to that already. That's a headache I don't feel like dealing with, but it would be so nice to get the Nexus 5 and actually use the Clear LTE in Seattle.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

lazydog posted:

If I wasn't so drat happy with my Note II, I'd love this just because it sounds like they're only launching one physical version - so you could use it on Sprint, and when your contract there is up, you could switch to TMo prepaid without even buying yet another phone?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Well drat, now I don't know whether to get the Nexus 5 or GS4 triband. I wonder if this one will have built quality/material issues like that one other LG phone did (I forget what it was, maybe Nexus 4?)

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

If I wasn't so drat happy with my Note II, I'd love this just because it sounds like they're only launching one physical version - so you could use it on Sprint, and when your contract there is up, you could switch to TMo prepaid without even buying yet another phone?

Looking at the spec page that seems to be the case, but I could be wrong.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

lazydog posted:

This assumes sprint will activate a play store device, which isn't a sure thing (as far as I know).

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Grumpwagon posted:

This assumes sprint will activate a play store device, which isn't a sure thing (as far as I know).

They will (look at the bottom).

flickmaker
Jun 7, 2004

Coked out Artie.

So how long before a Galaxy Nexus 4.3 factory image shows up? I don't want to wait...

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

WugLyfe posted:

They will (look at the bottom).

I was just coming back to post this. Cool!

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe

bobula posted:

Well drat, now I don't know whether to get the Nexus 5 or GS4 triband. I wonder if this one will have built quality/material issues like that one other LG phone did (I forget what it was, maybe Nexus 4?)

I'd go with the Nexus 5, simply because Samsung is becoming a really lovely company with their phones (eg: cheating benchmark tests).

That and I'm bitter with my Galaxy Nexus because it's an even bigger piece of poo poo than my Nexus S 4G was. Reboots itself daily because hey gently caress you, tremendously slow in going to the home screen (and just in general), music player won't stop using the lock screen controls, antenna sucks balls and I get lovely reception everywhere...the list goes on.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
http://www.sprint.com/nexus5

is down.... Maybey it will be up later. It's probably best. I need time to contemplate my purchase anyway.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

pliable posted:

I'd go with the Nexus 5, simply because Samsung is becoming a really lovely company with their phones (eg: cheating benchmark tests).

That and I'm bitter with my Galaxy Nexus because it's an even bigger piece of poo poo than my Nexus S 4G was. Reboots itself daily because hey gently caress you, tremendously slow in going to the home screen (and just in general), music player won't stop using the lock screen controls, antenna sucks balls and I get lovely reception everywhere...the list goes on.
Cheating on benchmark tests doesn't mean their phones aren't all-around excellent. The Galaxy Nexus is old - the SGS and SGS2 (which the GNex is based on) were mediocre phones. But Samsung really turned it around with the SGS3 and SGS4 and now they make the best most popular phones on the market.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

The GS3 was a great phone even though I hate their slimy plastic.

The $350 Nexus 5 is really tempting. I could probably sell my HTC One for that. I'm sure the CDMA Nexus 5 will still get delayed updates though.

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

mcpringles posted:

The GS3 was a great phone even though I hate their slimy plastic.

The $350 Nexus 5 is really tempting. I could probably sell my HTC One for that. I'm sure the CDMA Nexus 5 will still get delayed updates though.

It seems like there aren't separate versions of the Nexus 5 for GSM vs CDMA, since all Google only lets you choose color and capacity, but they explicitly state that Sprint is a supported carrier. This should mean updates at the same time.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

There is a "world" model Nexus 5 that doesn't have CDMA. But all US Nexus 5s are GSM+CDMA.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7471/google-announces-the-nexus-5

quote:

Just like the new Nexus 7 LTE situation, there's two variants, as I speculated publicly online (LG-D820 is USA, LG-D821 is rest of world), and the rest of world variant has the obligatory Band 3, 7, 20, and so on that makes sense for most markets. This is a dramatic step up from the Nexus 4 which only included hidden Band 4 LTE with appropriate baseband software.

NyetscapeNavigator fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 1, 2013

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Citycop posted:

http://www.sprint.com/nexus5

is down.... Maybey it will be up later. It's probably best. I need time to contemplate my purchase anyway.
It's supposed to go up tomorrow according to the press release.

Sole Survivor posted:

It seems like there aren't separate versions of the Nexus 5 for GSM vs CDMA, since all Google only lets you choose color and capacity, but they explicitly state that Sprint is a supported carrier. This should mean updates at the same time.
Yep, only one version this time so updates should be quicker.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

pliable posted:

I have a Gnex right now and I've been quite happy with it over the past year. No reboots, not terribly slow, but the reception isn't so great. Maybe you have a bad rom?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

CrashCat posted:

Well as others said, now the Nexus 5 is best. But of the original 3, the galaxy mega is a 6.2 inch tablet posing as a phone, and the S4 Mini is somewhat underspecced, which leaves the Sprint variant G2, if you can put up with having only terrible cases.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Anybody else have login troubles on Sprints site? I can log into the home screen but after clicking smartphones and trying to order it says im logged out again.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

RBX posted:

Anybody else have login troubles on Sprints site? I can log into the home screen but after clicking smartphones and trying to order it says im logged out again.

Sprint site is a piece of poo poo that regularly has such problems. Try again tomorrow.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Pre-order page is up. Looks like it's $50 for new lines after "reward card" rebate. So $200 plus the reward card for the rest of you.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Pre-order page is up. Looks like it's $50 for new lines after "reward card" rebate. So $200 plus the reward card for the rest of you.

That seems like a really good deal for both new customers, and current.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I'm seeing it as $150 for an upgrade on my brother's line, or $450 outright for me on Sprint.com. And on Play, I'm seeing it for $400. Am I missing something?

Edit: Oh, $400 on Google Play is for the 32 GB version, because 16 is gone. And SPrint's $450 is for the 16 GB, Jesus.

Obviously this thing has no SD Card since it's a Google Play device (I will miss the capacity for my music and movies), and no removable battery, which I've gotten used to on my EVO LTE by now. But what are the odds Sprint will let it work as a World Phone after 90 days?

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 1, 2013

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I don't get the Samsung hate. The GS3 is the best phone I've ever owned. I'm big on custom ROMs and rooting, but the GS3 is the first phone I've used where I didn't need to root it and install a rom just to get it to function and do the things a phone should do. It just works and does everything I need with only a few very minor hiccups.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

SpelledBackwards posted:

And SPrint's $450 is for the 16 GB, Jesus.
If they priced it the same as Google, everybody would buy from Sprint to save on shipping, then activate it on T-Mobile.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I don't get the Samsung hate. The GS3 is the best phone I've ever owned. I'm big on custom ROMs and rooting, but the GS3 is the first phone I've used where I didn't need to root it and install a rom just to get it to function and do the things a phone should do. It just works and does everything I need with only a few very minor hiccups.

I think a lot of it is leftover nightmares with the owners of the Moment and the original GS series. I had a Sprint Galaxy S Epic 4G :haw: that was on Eclair until other phones were rolling out with GB. The Moment was a disaster of a phone, it had all sorts of crash issues and hardware failures. The GS2 was sort of a lesson learned by Samsung and each iteration since has been better than the last. It's easy to grant them that, but the phones are cheaply constructed and people are probably getting weary of Touchwhiz like they did with Sense. It's acceptable to augment a janky UI with something like that if the UI is a blindingly awful pre-ICS version, but ever since Google got Mathias Duarte (I think that's the guy, with the crazy shirts and the Pre UI) on board there has been no reason to engage in visual fuckery with the launcher. The user can implement their 'I keep my shitter bloody' personal touch as needed.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe

td4guy posted:

Cheating on benchmark tests doesn't mean their phones aren't all-around excellent. The Galaxy Nexus is old - the SGS and SGS2 (which the GNex is based on) were mediocre phones. But Samsung really turned it around with the SGS3 and SGS4 and now they make the best most popular phones on the market.

If they're such great phones, then why do they need to cheat?

A buddy of mine has an SGS3, and it fucks up on him all the time as well. I've simply had too many lovely experiences with Samsung phones to continue justifying supporting them.

bobula posted:

I have a Gnex right now and I've been quite happy with it over the past year. No reboots, not terribly slow, but the reception isn't so great. Maybe you have a bad rom?

Lucky you...and I have no idea what it could be. I'm running a rooted stock rom, and I only rooted it so I can run TRIM on it to give it a performance boost for two seconds before it all goes to poo poo again. I really don't think it's the OS itself as well, because Android has become a pretty solid OS (especially with dat beautiful Linux kernel).

Regardless, I'm due for an upgrade, and I'm going to get the Nexus 5 as soon as they release a 32GB version.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Great news about the Nexus being available in tri-band. Gonna go preorder that one then so I don't have to deal with as much extra garbage on my phone (though Sprint will manage to cram plenty on there anyway I imagine). Plus it'll be interesting to have a phone that updates more than once every two years.

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.

I said come in! posted:

That seems like a really good deal for both new customers, and current.

It's not really a good deal at all, because then your carrier is Sprint. :smith:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Wait a minute, the Nexus 5 has an embedded battery? Yuck. How does that even work with an OS as crashy as Android?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Android phones work just like every other piece of electronics made in the last 20 years. You hold down power to force it to power off if it is locked up.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

Android phones work just like every other piece of electronics made in the last 20 years. You hold down power to force it to power off if it is locked up.
Works on my Kindle, but my phone (some Samsung droid with an awful Sprint name) absolutely will lock so hard I have to battery pull. That shows you how badly I need the upgrade I guess. Also bugs me that it's a much smaller battery than the G2.

edit: never mind, the G2 reviews say it's full of lovely garbage LG put on there that you can't remove. Oh, and you can't remove the battery on that one either. Guess I just have to suck it up and go with the Nexus then.

vvv My guess is since these triband phones are just coming out that the answer is "nobody knows yet".

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 2, 2013

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Speaking of Samsung hate, I was one of the lucky bastards who kept a Moment for the full contract.. And then bought a GNex. Which, really, I don't have many complaints about the GNex - except maybe the radios? I've seen a few rumblings of it in this thread, but is this phone known for having weak LTE radios? Sensorly is now showing the freeway that I work 500 feet from lit up in level 2 or 3 Sprint 4G, but I've only picked up a 4G signal once... Trying to figgure out what I could expect with a better phone on Sprint.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

CrashCat posted:

edit: never mind, the G2 reviews say it's full of lovely garbage LG put on there that you can't remove. Oh, and you can't remove the battery on that one either. Guess I just have to suck it up and go with the Nexus then.

The best part is the international G2 has a removable battery and SD card. :laugh:

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

CrashCat posted:

Wait a minute, the Nexus 5 has an embedded battery? Yuck. How does that even work with an OS as crashy as Android?

You shouldn't need to reset unless you have a crappy phone. I've had an HTC One for 6 months and can't remember ever having to reset it, let alone wish I could remove the battery.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

mcpringles posted:

You shouldn't need to reset unless you have a crappy phone. I've had an HTC One for 6 months and can't remember ever having to reset it, let alone wish I could remove the battery.
Epic 4g was supposed to be one of the 1st gen Galaxy phones right? I've also had it for two and a half years so it's entirely fossilized compared to yours. Glad that things have improved since then, I just assumed since the few other Android devices I played with were also crashy as gently caress that I'd always have this problem.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I end up having to reset my EVO LTE every so often, and it's a pain in the rear end, but the watchdog works just fine for that (the new update from early October actually made it a lot more stable luckily). What I'd really like a removable battery for is so I can carry spares around whenever I'm away from a charger for a while or don't have time to recharge. Going camping or heading in to rural areas, especially.

An external battery-based charger is a decent stopgap, but I'd rather it be something that goes into the phone and stays. Oh well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Hey, if there's anybody still here who works for Sprint, have you ever seen any issues with returning a free Airave? I sent mine back and got a receipt for the return on the 17th, but I just got a letter dated the 18th saying that I need to send it back or they'll charge me $140.