Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
the demon dogs in particular are badly bluescreened though the stop motion isn't completely terrible. there are some other parts where it's really obvious they're using matte paintings for backgrounds, etc.

the ghosts look really good though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Mint
Jul 4, 2013

i use vlc on my mac to play my animes and it works fine sorry if you're experience is otherwise.
holy poo poo voyager is so loving boring im on episode 3 and watching each episode feels like the biggest chore ever and why wont janeway shut up ahuregrag

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Dr. Mint posted:

holy poo poo voyager is so loving boring im on episode 3 and watching each episode feels like the biggest chore ever and why wont janeway shut up ahuregrag

Deal with it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
deal with it by not watching it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
YOLO

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Dr. Mint posted:

grats on wasting 3 hours i guess

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
just keep watching it gets...slightly better

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

lol no it doesnt

Dr. Mint
Jul 4, 2013

i use vlc on my mac to play my animes and it works fine sorry if you're experience is otherwise.
but the doctor guy is funny!!

look see haha hes so small

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

raruler posted:

I found Altered Carbon + Sequels reminded me a lot of Peter F Hamilton stuff

i haven't read hamilton's stuff but i do own it. i'm kind of looking forward to it because i judged the book by its cover

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
there was that one ep where the doctor makes himself a holographic family that i thought was decent

of course i havent seen it in a decade so it was probably actually pretty bad and im just remembering what it could have been

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

ol qwerty bastard posted:

the demon dogs in particular are badly bluescreened though the stop motion isn't completely terrible. there are some other parts where it's really obvious they're using matte paintings for backgrounds, etc.

When I watched it a few days ago I was expecting the proton beams and ghosts to look like poo poo but they looked pretty good for something 29 years old. Definitely looked better than the regular poo poo from Return of the Jedi which is my go to for early-80's special effects.

EDIT: Oh poo poo Return of the Jedi is now more than 30 years old :corsair:

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
so i went on a lovely franchise movie binge on netflix the other night

the 2011 conan movie is unbelievably terrible as a whole, conan himself is the worst casting possible, and the ending is a spectacular waste of potential (they had this whole set for this temple-like area at the top of a castle made and it looks pretty drat good, but we see it for like two minutes of screen time and the actual end sequence is set in a dark and boring cave complex). however, since they had the balls to make it R instead of PG-13 it has some really spiffy gore effects (and lots of topless eastern european women if you're into that), and ron perlman is goddamn perfect as conan's dad

the 2010 dylan dog movie had the special effects budget of the pilot of a show like grimm and is generally lovely in all aspects, but i'll give them credit for actually filming it in new orleans instead of faking it in vancouver or something, and it has some of the same kind of b-movie charm that bad "urban fantasy" tv shows do where it's clear that absolutely nobody involved was taking it terribly seriously. it also has peter stormare chewing on scenery which i will never, ever get tired of

the 2008 solomon kane is a bad, bad film but unlike conan i actually felt like they did the original robert e. howard character justice and didn't shy away from the unpleasant stuff too badly. it's just not well-made at all, some of the acting is immeasurably awful, and the final set piece monster is a perfect example of badly overreaching with your available cgi budget and talent, and putting it in exactly the wrong location and lighting to make it look good. very good costume work, though

i ended up washing the taste out of my mouth by watching night watch and day watch again, which are both still good (as long as you've got the international cuts with the good translations, which netflix does)

Edje
Aug 31, 2006

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Anything that actually suggests you read the Silmarillion as a "fantasy 102" book is a garbage flowchart. Really no one should read it, its a novel length appendix. Thanks Christopher for giving us all the stuff that your dad knew better than to include when actually setting about the task of telling a story.

actually he spent ages refusing to let anyone publish lotr without also publishing the silmarillion iirc (but no-one was interested for obvious reasons)

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Dr. Mint posted:

people warned you.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

you are the worst

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

c serial killer s: holy piss is the first season of Hannibal some dark, grim poo poo with some of the best murder fx I've seen on tv or film.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
speaking of grimm season 3 is pretty disappointing so far

i was hoping the show would really play to its strengths and juliette would get clobbered on the head and get amnesia again so we could get another 8 episodes of her sitting alone in a room saying hello? and making a vaguely queasy face

at least the irritating sorta pretty blonde gal that no one could possibly give a poo poo about is getting roughly a quarter of each episode maybe they can stretch that story into its own spinoff series

just have her hanging out then gypsies show up and start smirking all over the place and they make her eat a gross bug and it's clear that she finds this very distasteful

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
watched the visitor last night. that is a batshit crazy, incredibly terrible movie

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
hell is a good german movie on netflix about post apocalypse people and life being poo poo. its really good for a cheaply made movie and its one of the rare instances of a movie that actually made me feel terrefied / horror and was very light on gore.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

NoneMoreNegative posted:

c serial killer s: holy piss is the first season of Hannibal some dark, grim poo poo with some of the best murder fx I've seen on tv or film.

If they actually stick with the plan to last a while and start adapting the books later that would be pretty cool.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
started reading more than human by theodore sturgeon. dudes a p good writer, idk why i haven't read more of his stuff

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

angry_keebler posted:

speaking of grimm season 3 is pretty disappointing so far

i was hoping the show would really play to its strengths and juliette would get clobbered on the head and get amnesia again so we could get another 8 episodes of her sitting alone in a room saying hello? and making a vaguely queasy face

at least the irritating sorta pretty blonde gal that no one could possibly give a poo poo about is getting roughly a quarter of each episode maybe they can stretch that story into its own spinoff series

just have her hanging out then gypsies show up and start smirking all over the place and they make her eat a gross bug and it's clear that she finds this very distasteful

the only good part of that show was the werewolf watchmaker guy. it suffered from having an insufferable protagonist and all of the protagonists motivations and his girlfriend are just awful. no one cares about him.

if they made the werewolf guy the real main character somehow it would be a good show. the monster of the week stuff was good and the setting was good (portland is beautiful) so it had potential. they just squandered it with terrible main character. it makes me appreciate the fact that sleepy hollow has really fun main characters

i stopped watching when they gave the opening credits a v/o

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
so has anyone seen the ender games yet??

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

is this in the "Hans Reiser" cartridge for Super Nintendo?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Smythe posted:

Deal with it

free smythe

what a bullshit probation

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ol qwerty bastard posted:

the best is when they're talking about the building having weird metal in it and bad feelings about what might happen but no one's too freaked out yet

all while a holy poo poo gigantic bizarre stormcloud cyclones around the structure in the background and lightening is going loving nuts on it

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sham bam bamina! posted:

so has anyone seen the ender games yet??

i heard it's a bad movie so i won't be going to see it in theaters

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

the only good part of that show was the werewolf watchmaker guy.

yeah all of nick's buddies are fun and even nick is okay as long as his dumb girlfriend isn't around. they probably should have just killed her and let nick date a series of increasingly bipolar monster babes

the other big structural problem is they spent 2 years building mystery inc and now instead of just hunting monsters for a few seasons they're gonna battle the eurotrash to stop armageddon or w/e

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah these shows never know how to pace themselves. it's kind of understandable because you dont know when you're gonna be canceled but ugh

like if you're making a serious drama/good show then i can understand spending 2 seasons developing characters to the point where they have formed their little team. but this is a dumb show and they could have taken care of it in 2/3/4 episodes, maybe adding the chief guy in the last episode of season 1

and i really dont get the appeal of your main character being some grimdark stud. is it a mary sue thing? like, even angel was a clutz despite being mopey all the time and the show really benefited from it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I've never watched that show but I imagine grimdark stud is cause the target audience for the show is women.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its like asking "why are all these Baywatch babes on Baywatch???"

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
idk my girlfriend is a female and she said 'wow he's really attractive' and then a minute later 'wow he is really awful'

but she's probably not the target audience

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

and i really dont get the appeal of your main character being some grimdark stud. is it a mary sue thing?

well the pitch was okay, imagine buffy the vampire slayer as a cop drama and instead of vampires the hero is fighting fairy tales

and then some executive was all hmm let me run this through the rate-o-tron beep beep, boop, beep yes it seems that this may work but we need some way to reach at least 2 quadrants so make the hero a tall dark haired man in a defacto marriage between the ages of 29 and 35 this should increase ratings with single women 16-30 who stay home on a friday night by 63%.

also see if you can't work in a multi season story about hitler's magic cufflinks because people that watch genre shows only want a long narrative no episodic scifi or fantasy show has ever been a success

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
since this is de facto TV thread, has anyone been watching masters of sex? only watched 2 episodes but it's really really good so far.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I watch masters of sex every time I look in my bedroom mirror

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

haveblue posted:

I watch masters of sex every time I look in my bedroom mirror

poo poo i didnt realize u could see me peepin in on you

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

my girlfriend is a female
really now

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
sleepy hollow is still pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

Shaggar posted:

sleepy hollow is still pretty good

it is a lot better than it ought to be given the goofiness of the premise

• Locked thread