Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

alcaras posted:

I remember back in the earlier DLCs of CK2, it was worth holding Cities in your Capital to benefit from the bonus to tax income in the capital, despite the "Wrong type of holding" penalty. [1] Is this still the case, or has the technology rework made it less viable?

[1] I first read about this trick here: http://ckiiwiki.com/Advanced_small_start_guide

It's always better to hold more land titles so your vassals don't have the capability to overpower you by virtue of them being more numerous than you. I'd say no it isn't. If you're a count or minor Duke it may be worth it. Kings and Emperors don't need to worry about such things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

SeaTard posted:

So yeah, Gavelkind will completely gently caress up the stability of a realm if you have more than a few holdings, because your heir will be far weaker than his/her siblings.

I'm not saying it fails to do that, and it certainly succeeds at hampering player-controlled pagans to a degree. But it doesn't make much difference on the realm as seen from the outside. You get overthrown by your brother, but it's still the same blob on the map. Sort of like how decadence invasions are pretty much an instant game over for the player but do nothing to the realm itself other than changing the name on the clown car.

I would love it if the game could, say, dynamically create individual kingdom titles for each heir, but that might be outside the scope of the engine.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Walliard posted:

I would love it if the game could, say, dynamically create individual kingdom titles for each heir, but that might be outside the scope of the engine.

Maybe use the 'Petty King' feature? Like if a brother or 'lower' heir feels cheated then Dukes that like them could declare them the Petty King of some region (2-3 duchies) and give them a province or two as demense. So a pagan Kingdom that only had one inheritable king title could (sometimes) break up into a handful of petty kingdoms.

I'd like to seem some sort of improved gavelkind interface anyway, where you could divide your titles up via a drag-and-drop type UI.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

SeaTard posted:

It still happens, at least with ck2+ 2.04.

Nope, I kept Gwynedd through three generations of gavelkind

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Walliard posted:

But it doesn't make much difference on the realm as seen from the outside. You get overthrown by your brother, but it's still the same blob on the map.

This is only true if the previous ruler only held one of the same "tier" (empire, kingdom, duchy) of top-level title. If, for example, your ruler dies 3/4 the way through uniting Scandinavia with 3 Kingdoms but missing a couple counties for 80%, you're hosed and you have to conquer those kingdoms back again with whoever you end up playing.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

DStecks posted:

For anybody looking for an interesting and challenging start, the 1066 Last landed Karling start is pretty cool (Count Herbert of Vermandois). I've only played it a couple hours, but I've already found a few cool things:

There are no lone counties next to you, so military expansion is probably impossible at the start. However, the other free county in the duchy of Valois is owned by your father-in-law, and your son happens to be third in line to that title. Intrigue will be extremely key. It's a tricky start because Paris, the only other county in Valois, is obviously owned by the King of France; unless some duke presses a claim and relocates the capital.

Herbert himself doesn't have great stats, and his wife is pretty much poo poo in everything but intrigue. I haven't played far enough into this start to know for sure, but your two thirty-something brothers will probably be a pain in the rear end when you eventually kick the bucket.

I'm currently planning an LP based around this start. It's going to be very, very stabby.
It is doable and yes it is a very stabby start. And probably one of most entertaining starts. With a lot of stabbing and even more luck, I had Herbert's grandson in a decent power position. Once my situation was stable and more or less safe, dealing with civil wars became my biggest problem. I decided to keep the king on the throne while I further built my power base at the expense of the dukes around me. So I was constantly marching off to put down various wars (or not marching to keep CA low). I also spent a good deal of time cutting that mega-duke in the southwest down.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Walliard posted:

The problem is that gavelkind doesn't break up realms, it breaks up titles.

This can easily be the same thing, in the case of megadukes and even some kings. In my norse game, I'm waiting impatiently for the AI to reform the Suomenusko faith, because they control all of Finland and Perm, but it keeps getting split into two kingdoms during any period where they have a high enough moral authority.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Rapdawg posted:

I have been studying Chinese History/Historiagraphy for the past week constantly, in my never ending studies, so I need to ask you- which Dynasty's Analects of Confucius? Or what romanization method are we going to use in the game- horrendous but long common (and still often used) Wade-Giles translation or the international standard of Pinyin? These questions are the horrible things I have hazed into, these are the things that are driving me mad.

China would honestly be a fantastic spin-off of this game, having it as a DLC would be weird since interaction was far and few between... while The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Imperial China II: Xu Fu's Magic Windowless Boat of Children would be a fantastic thread for a fantastic game about establishing new dynasties, filial piety, knowing that if you cut off someone's family line they can't feed their ghost ancestors offerings obliterating them, dealing with scholars who are against you by appeasing them or burying them alive, creating a secret police force then later calling them evil and killing them all, and enjoying when the Manchu come in and take over everything.

This game should be made.

Why would you use anything but pinyin in this day and age?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Why would you use anything but pinyin in this day and age?

I got a copy of Three Kingdoms, in two volumes, for like, $60. I had to buy a different copy when I discovered that the copy I got was in Wade-Giles and I didn't figure out I was reading about the main characters until I was checking a character list online and couldn't find the names in the book. So, the answer should be nobody, but it isn't.

I, for the record, would love a CK2 spin-off set in Asia from 867-1453 that you could transfer to EU4.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

catlord posted:

I got a copy of Three Kingdoms, in two volumes, for like, $60. I had to buy a different copy when I discovered that the copy I got was in Wade-Giles and I didn't figure out I was reading about the main characters until I was checking a character list online and couldn't find the names in the book. So, the answer should be nobody, but it isn't.

I, for the record, would love a CK2 spin-off set in Asia from 867-1453 that you could transfer to EU4.

Especially if you could import two different save files at once. :allears:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

catlord posted:

Given how racist literally everyone on the Paradox forums is, I think they might all explode if this became a thing.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I was looking at some of my screenshots, and found this random bug one. I'm not sure what was going on with the calculations, but for a few months I was making an obscene amount of money. It eventually went back to normal, but this was weird as hell. This was a standard ck2+ Shattered World game as the Roman trade republic.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Flesnolk posted:

Given how racist literally everyone on the Paradox forums is, I think they might all explode if this became a thing.

The paradox forums are racist?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

WYA posted:

There was some AAR or mod in which some Eastern European ethnicity was ground into coal.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

WYA posted:

They have yearly threads about how evil the Romani are and how Americans just don't understand, and weekly threads about how their White Europeans were mixing with the AFRICANS FROM BELOW THE SAHARA(AKA CIVILIZATION).

So I guess it depends on your definition of racism??

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Fintilgin posted:

So, Crusader Kings Z is now a thing!

Where's that map with SKELETONS taking over central Europe?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Flesnolk posted:

There's humor in how much of a racist, sexist, murdering monster you have to be to play "correctly" in this game. The fact that people might think that's all good makes me glad I don't hang out on the paradox forums. When every story from there is horrible it kind of makes me wonder why they keep that stuff up.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I dunno, I've done pretty well for myself in a couple games without being super racist and sexist or even that much of a dick to people who weren't starting poo poo (okay, except for that 103 year old superemperor who hounded the Almoravids and last Viking holdouts into nonexistence and died awaiting the coming of the Mongols so he could fight them too), but yeah, all that medieval politicking seems to draw out the worst in people on the Paradox forums. Or maybe it's a quirk with this kind of game in general.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Mailer posted:

When every story from there is horrible it kind of makes me wonder why they keep that stuff up.
You probably shouldn't base your opinions of an internet forum on the stories goons tells about them. The Paradox forums are mostly fine, the occasional Nationalism and Racism (more of the first) sucks but it's something you get in all forums dedicated to historical grand strategy games.

Flesnolk posted:

They managed to deal with Sengoku just fine (except for it being a very mediocre game).

Kainser fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Nov 2, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Kainser posted:

They managed to deal with Sengoku just fine (except for it being a very mediocre game).

Truly, glorious Nippon brings harmony to all mankind :japan:

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

I'm playing my first byzantium game, with a 9th-century start. I've acquired four of the five duchies I need to mend the schism, with only Jerusalem remaining. That said, I have a few questions:

1: when should I start creating kingdoms?

2: What happens when the schism is actually mended?

3: once I mend the schism, how much harder is it to restore the Roman Empire?

4: My first born in the purple heir died early, but his son is a genius with several other awesome attributes. My second born (and current heir) ITP has no children. Should I get to stabbing until the genius is my current heir, or try to ride out the succession crises?

5: should I move my capital to Rome? What would be the benefits and costs of doing such a thing? Would I lose my cataphracts?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

uh zip zoom posted:

Not a big issue really, you can form whatever kingdoms you like, but if you keep them yourself the de-jure vassals will get jealous

quote:

Catholicism gets branded an Orthodox Heresy and takes a big Moral Authority plunge, many (but not all or even most) provinces and characters throughout Christendom will convert to Orthodox, and because Catholics are now heretics you get a huge negative opinion modifier between them and Orthodox

quote:

Depends exactly what the map looks like. If the remaining duchies you need are held completely by catholic rulers it should be pretty easy to holy war for them. But if you've got an HRE/Hungary mega-bloc to fight with it may take longer.

quote:

4: My first born in the purple heir died early, but his son is a genius with several other awesome attributes. My second born (and current heir) ITP has no children. Should I get to stabbing until the genius is my current heir, or try to ride out the succession crises?
:ese:

quote:

5: should I move my capital to Rome? What would be the benefits and costs of doing such a thing? Would I lose my cataphracts?

Usually the Pope will have filled Rome to the brim with crappy Churches but if you feel like you need to truly restore the Imperial City then go for it, retinues are only decided by Liege culture, so just stay Greek.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

uh zip zoom posted:

There are no Kings in Rome :hist101: When the Schism is mended Catholism becomes a heresy and everyone gets given a popup that switches them Orthodox or staying loyal to the pope. Restoring the Roman Empire shouldn't be too much more difficult. I don't think Orthodox even get a Holy War option against Catholics anyway. If the heir is a Genius and has good stats stab away or just use the bad heir in combat 24/7 until he mans up. Never move the capital to Rome. Rome doesn't have the Theodosian Walls and is kinda in a poo poo position anyway. Just get as many coastal regions as you can get in your personal demense so you can board ships and haul rear end to any fight you start.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Soviet_Russia posted:

Depends exactly what the map looks like. If the remaining duchies you need are held completely by catholic rulers it should be pretty easy to holy war for them. But if you've got an HRE/Hungary mega-bloc to fight with it may take longer.

I think he means getting acknowledgement from the rest of Europe and switching from Byzantium -> Roman Empire not reclaiming all the former territories.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

Shadeoses posted:

Where's that map with SKELETONS taking over central Europe?

It's in the OP.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
How do skeleton succession laws work?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

SkySteak posted:

:ese:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

SkySteak posted:

Skeletons don't die.

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009
Would it be possible to mod a trading republic so that the different families have different religions? I've tried playing as a Norse family in Venice but every time I become Doge I seem to auto convert to Catholic. Am I best just making a Norse republic?

Dickensian Aspect
Mar 18, 2009

uh zip zoom posted:

When you get bored of micromanaging all those dukes.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

uh zip zoom posted:

I'm playing my first byzantium game, with a 9th-century start. I've acquired four of the five duchies I need to mend the schism, with only Jerusalem remaining. That said, I have a few questions:

In the same area - is there any way to restore Roman culture or is that, like the Hellenic religion, purely there for the title histories?

Meowy Babyleg
Sep 10, 2011

alcaras posted:

I remember back in the earlier DLCs of CK2, it was worth holding Cities in your Capital to benefit from the bonus to tax income in the capital, despite the "Wrong type of holding" penalty. [1] Is this still the case, or has the technology rework made it less viable?

[1] I first read about this trick here: http://ckiiwiki.com/Advanced_small_start_guide

Having a vassal hold the city with maximum city tax:

Holding the city myself:

This is in the 867 start so there's very little tech, but I do have a decent amount of stewardship.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
So when you build castles it's ideal to hold it yourself?

Also is building castles the best thing to spend your money on, or should you improve existing properties?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

WYA posted:

Also is building castles the best thing to spend your money on, or should you improve existing properties?

Building new holdings is a pretty good idea if you have the money, since they give you extra retinue points and tax revenue.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

uh zip zoom posted:

Unless this changed recently, the Emperor can revoke duchies without an empire wide opinion malus, but if there is a King in between you and that troublesome superduke...

WYA posted:

I like having two castles in my capital county so when I put my steward there to collect taxes I get double the benefit. Other than that I build cities in coastal counties that I own first because they vomit money so I can afford to build castles later. But I play the long game which is not always best/optimal so I do not know if that is the absolute best thing to do.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 2, 2013

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Sometimes the modularity of this game's design just blows me away. I had sent my chancellor to Paris to raise diplomacy, and I get a notification saying that he's successfully raised relations with the Duke of Champagne. I'm like "that can't be right!", so I click on Paris, and notice that the Duke of Champagne is laying siege there.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

uh zip zoom posted:

My first born in the purple heir died early, but his son is a genius with several other awesome attributes. My second born (and current heir) ITP has no children. Should I get to stabbing until the genius is my current heir, or try to ride out the succession crises?

You can get stabby, or you can give your son the Despot title. It is basically BITP that you can give to anyone, and confers the same advantage as BITP for succession.

quote:

You'd reset your tech level to whatever Rome's is, and you'd lose a lot of levies and taxes if you're still riding out the New Administration penalty. You also don't benefit from the Theodosian Walls (tier 6 City Walls, when the normal best is tier 5) in Constantinople.

Other than the temporary New Administration concern, there's little reason not to move to Rome, but little reason to do so, either.

You'll never lose your cataphract retinues unless they are annihilated in combat and your ruler isn't Greek (and thus can't replace them). The only thing that can remove your cataphract buildings is having a ruler that isn't Greek.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
I've finally gotten my demesne large enough that I need to hand out one of my counties. The problem is that I can't find any family member to hand the county to who doesn't have a claim on one of my other counties. What concerns should I have about handing the county off to a non-family member?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Spaseman posted:

I've finally gotten my demesne large enough that I need to hand out one of my counties. The problem is that I can't find any family member to hand the county to who doesn't have a claim on one of my other counties. What concerns should I have about handing the county off to a non-family member?

Titles in the hands of family increases your total dynasty prestige, and family will generally like you more as vassals than random people would. Still, if all your family are claimants and you think they would start poo poo, pick someone of the same religion/culture as you who's either young or has kids. That way the county is more stable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I modded out the children limit for players, and now I'm having claim invasions every 2 years. Fun times.

On the other hand, about 50% of my income comes from banishing relatives.

• Locked thread