Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
That's exactly what I needed, THANK you!

kedo posted:

Are you using the most recent version of SkyUI? If so, how well does gear/magic swapping from the favorites menu work with a 360 controller? I'd love to start playing with a controller again on my melee character.

I haven't even played with that feature yet using a keyboard and mouse, but I'll do that tonight and get back to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
How do I make the shadows look less terrible? Everything I can find suggests ini tweaks, but for some reason it seems that Skyrim ignores any changes I make... I'm pretty sure I'm editing the right file, it's the one found in my docs/my games/skyrim

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

WaveLength posted:

How do I make the shadows look less terrible? Everything I can find suggests ini tweaks, but for some reason it seems that Skyrim ignores any changes I make...
If you're using Mod Organizer, you need to edit the .ini files located under \ModOrganizer\profiles\<Profile name>

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat

Raygereio posted:

If you're using Mod Organizer, you need to edit the .ini files located under \ModOrganizer\profiles\<Profile name>

Perfect thanks!

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

WaveLength posted:

How do I make the shadows look less terrible? Everything I can find suggests ini tweaks, but for some reason it seems that Skyrim ignores any changes I make... I'm pretty sure I'm editing the right file, it's the one found in my docs/my games/skyrim

I ended up disabling them outright. I tried using ENBs for a while, and they looked amazing, but I just can't handle the FPS loss.

live free or dont
Apr 13, 2012
I've been looking for an armor set for hunters that would be like a medieval ghillie suit. Anyone know if there is a set like this, I mean like a leather armor with leaves and branches and poo poo that would allow my character to blend in the forests?

Broand
Oct 13, 2011
So I can't get enough magic mods. I have Phendrix, Apocolypse and Midas Magic, complimented with SPERG and some weapon mods. Anyone have any suggestions? A decent looking player home for a mage would be cool too.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Have you tried Dwemerverse and Thunderchild? Dwemerverse is an Alteration-heavy, Dwemer-themed magic package done by the same guy behind Apocalypse. Thunderchild is a shout mod by the same guy.

The same guy behind Apocalypse is also working on 4/5 other different magic packages, one for each of the different schools of magic.

Reeoorb
Jun 25, 2006
is...is...is got communisms in it...
Can anyone answer a SPERG question real quick? I dig Sperg, but installed Skaves (Staves of Skyrim) which apparently adds some block perks.

I can has both?! Are the block perks for Skaves any good?

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Reeoorb posted:

Can anyone answer a SPERG question real quick? I dig Sperg, but installed Skaves (Staves of Skyrim) which apparently adds some block perks.

I can has both?! Are the block perks for Skaves any good?

I think you should be able to technically have both. I think they both exist, but only one skill tree layout is able to load at one time (and it chooses the last in your load list). You might be able to load SPERG last and then in game use the console to search for the Skaves block perk refID's and add them manually.

Reeoorb
Jun 25, 2006

graynull posted:

You might be able to load SPERG last and then in game use the console to search for the Skaves block perk refID's and add them manually.

That's a good idea, yea. Thanks.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I copied and pasted my Skyrim folder to a backup before my last playthrough. Anyone know how to reinstall using that without having to redownload through Steam? I thought I could just paste it into steamapps/common and verify file integrity, but that option is greyed out even after restarting Steam.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

grrarg posted:

I copied and pasted my Skyrim folder to a backup before my last playthrough. Anyone know how to reinstall using that without having to redownload through Steam? I thought I could just paste it into steamapps/common and verify file integrity, but that option is greyed out even after restarting Steam.

That used to work but at some point steam started keeping track of installed games in a different way. I think you need to hang onto the appmanifest file that matches skyrim too, appmanifest_72850.acf for regular, not sure if legendary uses the same one. If you start downloading skyrim, pause, and then quit steam it should create the app manifest. You can edit it with notepad and fiddle with the settings to make steam know skyrim is installed and let you verify it.

futile
May 18, 2009
I just reinstalled the other day. This worked for me:

Start the download, pause it, close steam. Copy the files over. Start steam up. It should detect and show a completed install.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
That is not working. Probably because Steam changed the way downloads work in an update last week.

Edit: Got it working finally. Started the download then paused and quit Steam. Copied the files to steamapps/common then deleted all Skyrim-related .patch files from steamapps/downloading. Restarted Steam, clicked install Skyrim, and it started verifying local files. If there is anything in the /downloading folder, it ignores /common and downloads from scratch.

grrarg fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 2, 2013

Reeoorb
Jun 25, 2006
I'm one of those skyrim players who despite a thousand characters have never had one over about level 30. So I'm pretty excited to start again, and have installed just about everything we've covered here.

I Still have issues with animations and dual sheath, but I'm a lot closer to everything working right.

My new favorite strategy for new characters is to pick someone who looks original and choose a random start. Then just go where all these fantastic mods take me... this start is an old rear end nord who was shipwrecked up north...

Im fairly sure it will be a trial just getting his rear end to land without freezing to death.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Does the new unoffical patch fix any huge bugs because it seems like they have been chasing down just minor stuff for a while now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Will the Nexus ever use servers that are not poo poo? I'm trying to download Mod Organizer, and I keep getting errors, if it even lets me begin downloading at all.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

What is there in the way of exotic weapons, clothing, and armor? I'm way tired out with all the rugged norse like stuff.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
So which mod changed Corundum into Copper and Malachite into Moldavite, and does anyone know the reasoning?

Reeoorb
Jun 25, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Will the Nexus ever use servers that are not poo poo? I'm trying to download Mod Organizer, and I keep getting errors, if it even lets me begin downloading at all.

I can email it to you or dropbox or whatever, but those servers have been poo poo all day... and so it'd still be a problem downloading any mods... of course I have just about everything listed in the OP as well.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

SirDan3k posted:

Does the new unoffical patch fix any huge bugs because it seems like they have been chasing down just minor stuff for a while now.
Define "huge bug". There aren't a lot of them left.

You should get the most recent if for no other reason than to cut down on crashes.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Viperix posted:

So which mod changed Corundum into Copper and Malachite into Moldavite, and does anyone know the reasoning?

That would be either Kryptopyr's Complete Crafting Overhaul or his Clothing, Jewelry and Clutter Fixes mod. No reasoning other than author's preference.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay, I've decided to bite the bullet and start using Mod Organizer over the NMM. Now, is there any way to transfer my mods from NMM over to MO so that I never have to use that godawful downloader ever again?

Also, I've downloaded a few mods through MO already, but I can't see the names of any of the mods on the left tab. If I double click the mods, their descriptions show up, but no names in the actual list.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 3, 2013

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Alright, which of these goddamn mods is responsible for Ye Olde Towne Crier in Solitude because not even :bethesda: has voice acting THAT aggravating. Every time he speaks I can picture the neckbearded landwhale hollering his renaissance faire schtick into his home mic and he speaks constantly. And so, so, loudly. I'm gonna have to accidentally drop an axe on his head and eat the fine because that man needs to die.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Inconsequential NPCs adds something like that I think? Text book example of a mod that adds back cut content/VA work, maybe even some decent after-release amateur stuff, then hits the inevitable feature creep wall:

quote:

Some users suggested that Winterhold could benefit from more NPCs. I thought that would be a bit 'un-lore-ish' because Winterhold is supposed to have become a 'ghost town' since the 'Great Collapse', a disaster in which most of the city fell into the Sea of Ghosts. But then I started thinking....maybe we are all correct....'Inconsequential NPCs' adds some 'lost souls' to Winterhold, trapped in a place where the living do not frequent. They are a bit...'addled', oblivious to their own post-life existence and that of any living ones around them. Like memory imprints upon the scarred landscape of a once thriving city, they repeat routines comprised of the only remaining acts and words they can recall from the traumatic moments before their deaths.

Yes, thank you, Winterhold needed a ton of ghosts walking around for reasons. It is "un lore ish" to have more people just loitering around what is a really unbelievable ruined city, but add a poo poo ton of ghosts? Why Not?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Speaking of feature creep, anybody know which mod adds this little guy? He keeps appearing and just hanging in the air, completely still. I'm running on a lovely computer, so almost all the mods I have installed are of the simple, 'remove shrubs to boost framerate' type. I have no idea why this drat parrot keeps showing up.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Berke Negri posted:

Yes, thank you, Winterhold needed a ton of ghosts walking around for reasons. It is "un lore ish" to have more people just loitering around what is a really unbelievable ruined city, but add a poo poo ton of ghosts? Why Not?
haha

It always starts with small stuff though - you could tell this was going to happen to that mod eventually. The next step is probably to start adding some quests and changing existing NPCs.

Are the older versions at least still available for download?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Speaking of feature creep, anybody know which mod adds this little guy? He keeps appearing and just hanging in the air, completely still. I'm running on a lovely computer, so almost all the mods I have installed are of the simple, 'remove shrubs to boost framerate' type. I have no idea why this drat parrot keeps showing up.

That's near Riverwood, right? And it looks like one of your mods removed the tree that should be there. That guy shows up in that tree, in the unplugged game. Something to do with the flock of birds that sometimes fly out of that tree. So, the answer to your question is that nothing added it. Something took away the tree that was hiding it before.

Are you getting much performance improvement out of removing trees from the game? I don't think you would.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Kilroy posted:

Are you getting much performance improvement out of removing trees from the game? I don't think you would.
Oh, absolutely. HiAlgo (thanks thread for the rec, by the way) and Big FPS boost-no trees seem to be the two big heavy lifters re framerate. I've tried mixing/matching various stuff and those are the two I really can't be without.

The bright colours on his wings still seem weird, but I'll take your word for it.

Mayheim
Jun 15, 2006
Is there a mod to removed hoods/hide helmets? The custom race I installed doesn't agree with headwear at all, sadly.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

I installed AEsir Armor yesterday, and it kicks all kinds of rear end. Comes with its own dungeon (about 1 hour long) to get it, and there's a whole lot of customization options.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Mayheim posted:

Is there a mod to removed hoods/hide helmets? The custom race I installed doesn't agree with headwear at all, sadly.
There are several, butthis seems to be the most robust option.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
I switched over from Project ENB to Seasons of Skyrim and broke the visuals somewhat, they aren't like this all the time it depends on the angle I'm viewing from. I'm using Climates of Tamriel as well, I don't know how relevant that is because the visual side of modding confuses me somewhat. :downs: Is there a simple way to fix this? And any cool more recent ENB configs out?

Captain Diarrhoea fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 3, 2013

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Mayheim posted:

If you only need to hide them on your character, this mod is pretty much perfect and compatible with any helmet (that doesn't have really strange settings in the armature record, at least) no matter what added it. Although I'll admit I'm a touch biased, in part due to being mentioned in the description for my assistance with a bug fix.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Technogeek posted:

If you only need to hide them on your character, this mod is pretty much perfect and compatible with any helmet (that doesn't have really strange settings in the armature record, at least) no matter what added it. Although I'll admit I'm a touch biased, in part due to being mentioned in the description for my assistance with a bug fix.

I like this mod as well- the other one is nice if you want to remove all helms and have lots of extras, but sometimes I do want to see my character's helmet, so just pressing "H" is great for me.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Arcsquad12 posted:

Okay, I've decided to bite the bullet and start using Mod Organizer over the NMM. Now, is there any way to transfer my mods from NMM over to MO so that I never have to use that godawful downloader ever again?

Also, I've downloaded a few mods through MO already, but I can't see the names of any of the mods on the left tab. If I double click the mods, their descriptions show up, but no names in the actual list.

MO can import your mods from NMM. Its in the tools menu. MO can also install mods from archives so if that doesn't work but you still have the downloads you can just use those. I'm not sure what you mean by not see names. How do you click on them if you can't see them? Screenshot it?

Edit: Oh I think your MO just has the mod name column in the left panel shrunk too much. You expand it by dragging the title divider line things.

LtSmash fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 3, 2013

futile
May 18, 2009
Inconsequential NPCs does add that town crier to Solitude. It doesn't add ghosts walking around in the city of Winterhold. There's like 2 of them in The Midden.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

futile posted:

Inconsequential NPCs does add that town crier to Solitude. It doesn't add ghosts walking around in the city of Winterhold. There's like 2 of them in The Midden.

Beat me to it. My first time to the Midden was with it installed and I didn't even realise the ghosts were added :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

The mod that adds a shitton of ghosts to Winterhold is Winterhold Expanded or something.

• Locked thread