Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pokeyman posted:

I can't make this happen. Does it still spaz out? Anybody else see anything?

Yes, page 162 is still acting weird on that thread. Force quit Awful.app, visit OP of thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3572760

Then jump to page 162, only the first 6 posts load. Then jump to page 163 and that page loads fine. Try to jump to 162 and the app does nothing, page 163 continues to display. Finally, jump to page 161 (which loads properly) and finally jump to page 162 and the whole page of posts appears.

Same results every time I retry it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I can't reproduce that issue either. That page loads fine no matter how many times I try.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Page 162 loads fine for me on that thread too.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

xzzy posted:

Yes, page 162 is still acting weird on that thread. Force quit Awful.app, visit OP of thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3572760

Then jump to page 162, only the first 6 posts load. Then jump to page 163 and that page loads fine. Try to jump to 162 and the app does nothing, page 163 continues to display. Finally, jump to page 161 (which loads properly) and finally jump to page 162 and the whole page of posts appears.

Same results every time I retry it.

I'm just not seeing it. Very strange. You're on an iPhone too?

I wonder if there's some relevant Forums setting. Could you take a screenshot of your options page for me?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just got done playing around with options, previously I had avatars shut off in the app. So I turned them on and the page loaded fine. Now I'm unable to reproduce the problem whether I have avatars turned off or on.

So maybe something in the local database cache got confused?

(and yes, it's an iphone 5 running latest ios and latest awful.app)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

xzzy posted:

I just got done playing around with options, previously I had avatars shut off in the app. So I turned them on and the page loaded fine. Now I'm unable to reproduce the problem whether I have avatars turned off or on.

So maybe something in the local database cache got confused?

(and yes, it's an iphone 5 running latest ios and latest awful.app)

Hmm, toggling the "show avatars" setting in Awful or on SA doesn't seem to break things for me. I'm having trouble seeing just what could be so confusing about that page.

I do plan on getting a proper HTML parser into Awful sometime soon. Maybe there's some more strangeness with our XML parser.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't claim any deep knowledge of how the caching works, but my theory is there was maybe a bad download when I tried to view that page the first time, and turning on avatars forced a reload or something. The symptoms point to that sort of problem anyway, as I'm the only person who was having problems viewing it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I kinda like having to do the two-finger dance to swipe out the bookmarks pane. I used to accidentally pull it out while scrolling, so this bug is actually useful.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

PMs should really refresh on their own after you reply to a PM so that you don't have to manual refresh them to get rid of a PM notification

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

death .cab for qt posted:

PMs should really refresh on their own after you reply to a PM so that you don't have to manual refresh them to get rid of a PM notification

Seconded!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Hi, first I wanted to say thank you for the great app. There is a bug I've been experiencing for the past couple of weeks. It has to do with the forums bar. I can swipe it away to the left no problem, but it doesn't seem to want to come back when I swipe to the right. It will only occasionally randomly happen while I'm scrolling down. I haven't been able to reproduce it faithfully.

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....

notZaar posted:

Hi, first I wanted to say thank you for the great app. There is a bug I've been experiencing for the past couple of weeks. It has to do with the forums bar. I can swipe it away to the left no problem, but it doesn't seem to want to come back when I swipe to the right. It will only occasionally randomly happen while I'm scrolling down. I haven't been able to reproduce it faithfully.

It's broken in iOS 7. Start the swipe with one finger, finish it with two.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Wow thank you! I had tried just about every reasonable wiping action I could think of to make it come back. What an odd bug.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Is it not possible to change a bookmarks color from inside the app?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Is it not possible to change a bookmarks color from inside the app?

That's correct. Looking at it for version 2.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Had a really odd issue on my brand new iPad Air that i haven't had on any other device before. I loaded a thread, and was unable to scroll. Every single button worked, I could swipe the side bar in, I could see there was posts below to scroll to (A cut off post made it obvious) but I was unable to get it to scroll. It was so odd because it was 100% responsive except scrolling. Not sure if this is some fun issue with just the new iPads or something, but hey, the app is hella fast on the Air anyway. I was able to just mark the top post as read, load another thread, and reload the first one which made scrolling work again.

Just thought I'd let you know because thats the oddest "bug" I've ever seen.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I've had that happen about 7 or 8 times in Reeder and the HotUKDeals app on my iPhone 5 on iOS7.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That was weird, Awful just forgot my login details out of nowhere.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

smackfu posted:

It works the same as the website: if the login cookie expires, you're logged out. Also happens when you change your password. Pretty sure that's what happened.

Awful should probably check the expiry date and warn you once it's getting close. Otherwise that's a rude surprise.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

smackfu posted:

Same here.. Are cookies set to expire on a certain date rather than time since last login?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Same here.. Are cookies set to expire on a certain date rather than time since last login?

Cookies always work with expiry dates. Usually the website just adds X days to today's date.

I did notice a few days ago I'd been surprise logged out of SA in a browser. Maybe something's going on.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I had that last night too, don't recall it happening before.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SA expires your login after one year.. my current cookie has a date of 8/31/2014 so I guess that means I logged in back in August!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Interesting, the current app came out Nov. 10, 2012, less than a year ago.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
My Awful also randomly logged me out last night, and I find it hard to believe that it was due to cookie expiration - I just got my phone a week ago and logged in fresh then.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Love the app, but I'd like to mention one mistake - FYAD has spell-check and auto-correct enabled, unlike YOSPOS.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Serifina posted:

My Awful also randomly logged me out last night, and I find it hard to believe that it was due to cookie expiration - I just got my phone a week ago and logged in fresh then.

The server can set a new expiration date or clear the cookie as part of any response, so it's definitely possible.

I don't mean to disclaim responsibility here, but (as I'm sure y'all have noticed) the code hasn't changed in a while, and Awful doesn't really play with cookies much.

Livingtrope posted:

Love the app, but I'd like to mention one mistake - FYAD has spell-check and auto-correct enabled, unlike YOSPOS.

Duly noted!

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh wow. You turned off autocapitalize/correction for specific forums? That's attention to detail.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
So I scrolled through all of GBS and loaded pretty much all the threads in there. Problem is, when I try to refresh the forum now, it hangs as it tries to update the post count for the last 25 pages of threads. Restarting my phone / closing awful didn't clear the "cache". Am I just stupid?

Edit: ok applying a tag filter and removing it fixed it.

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Nov 3, 2013

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

So I scrolled through all of GBS and loaded pretty much all the threads in there. Problem is, when I try to refresh the forum now, it hangs as it tries to update the post count for the last 25 pages of threads. Restarting my phone / closing awful didn't clear the "cache". Am I just stupid?

Edit: ok applying a tag filter and removing it fixed it.

If I had to guess, it was just being slow. Which is bad and I need to fix it.

"Scroll[ing] through all of GBS" counts as something I never really expected anyone to do :)

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Can we remove the auto correct/capitlization for GBS as well? Thanks.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah it was a spur of the moment kinda thing.

I wanna confirm, I can't slide left in thread titles to read the truncated parts right? Or am I retarded with bad fingers?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Can we remove the auto correct/capitlization for GBS as well? Thanks.

Whats the deal with GBS? Can someone point me to a link or something

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I wanna confirm, I can't slide left in thread titles to read the truncated parts right? Or am I retarded with bad fingers?

Confirm. Try long-pressing it in a list or tapping the action icon in the thread proper.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Oh! there it is. This greatly enhances my shitposting experience. Now I can offload 100% of all my posting to my phone. Excellent.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Minor complaint here, but I can't post my sig in gbs.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I've only seen it happen with this guy but it happens for all his posts:

(Arrow link to user options being spaced down obv)

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Is that a beta version or is my awful not updating.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

phosdex posted:

Is that a beta version or is my awful not updating.

Ah sorry forgot to mention it's the last beta, iPhone 5 iOS 7.0.3. Your awful is fine afaik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
Is there any way to add a notification like the big purple horrible monster bar in case you're on probation when you open the app instead of it just saying "this thread is closed" when you try and post

• Locked thread