Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Thanks to internet hockey bros I have numerous safehouses throughout the US in the event I ever need to flee extradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
We did a costume game in the beginner league I have been filling in goal for. White team wasn't very creative, just went with black eyes and missing teeth, black had some decent costumes.

Bonus me being a pumpkin image

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

dms666 posted:

Bonus me being a pumpkin image

Thats awesome, but I cant imagine playing goalie in a player helmet/mask. Imagine the concussions!

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.
I kinda dig the Batman kit. Is that a Bruins jersey with a custom logo? I don't recognize the jersey.

I have an 8:10pm game tomorrow. Hoping not to run over neighborhood kids on the way to the rink.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
My team has a hard time getting 10 skaters to show up.. Then we get a game where the Sharks play and suddenly everyone is available !

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Oh I'm in for that game too.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Heh. I had a team I played on for ten years. I believe I hung out with people from that team literally twice.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Verman posted:

Thats awesome, but I cant imagine playing goalie in a player helmet/mask. Imagine the concussions!

I'm cringing more at the lack of neck protection associated with a player helmet.
Also, those player skates add another degree of difficulty.

Dangerllama posted:

Heh. I had a team I played on for ten years. I believe I hung out with people from that team literally twice.

Did you not even stay after and drink some beer?

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Verman posted:

It's a beginner league, I don't think a puck has ever left the ice. I could probably sit in butterfly for the entire game and put up a shutout.

I'm not sure on the Batman jersey, didn't get a close enough look at it to see if someone just put a logo over a Bruins blank jersey or what.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Bradf0rd posted:

Did you not even stay after and drink some beer?

For whatever reason, guys didn't stick around to drink beer after. We all pretty much just got dressed and left.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Dangerllama posted:

For whatever reason, guys didn't stick around to drink beer after. We all pretty much just got dressed and left.

The worst team.

We spend probably 30 minutes in the room post game, and if we didn't get any penalties after the game we can take the score sheet to the bar upstairs and get 2 for 1 nachos and pitchers and usually theres 6 or 7 guys that stay for that too.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Dangerllama posted:

:stare: This doesn't make sense to me.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Gave an undefeated team their first loss in a back and forth 6-5 win last night. :feelsgood: Our team finally decided that play 'whole team defense' is a part of hockey and usually a good thing. This team has the top two goal scorers in the league and had only let up 8 goals total in the 5 prior games. Definitely the best team game we played all season especially to score 75% of their total goals against in one game.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Bradf0rd posted:

:stare: This doesn't make sense to me.
It does if their games are real late at night on say a Monday. Which is exactly why my work team never sits around and drinks after the game.

Now lower level games on a Friday or Sunday always get a group of people hanging out to drink.

I won't drink after every game but usually I'll go have a beer or two. Getting the W usually helps provide me with an incentive to go drink.

Oh and jersey chat, here's the jersey for our work team:

It costs about $70 to order a new one and I think if work hadn't paid for it we never would've gone to it as a team since we're all apparently cheap.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
We have late games and can't drink in the locker rooms or parking lot because it's a city-owned facility and the park police will bust you but we go out for pre-game beers most games.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Can't drink at any of the rinks or on premises and if they catch us the league will get kicked out. Sometimes we drink after game, but most games are really late.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The place I skate at on Thursdays will let you chill your beer on the unused sheet of ice. All you have to do is bribe the zamboni driver with a beer.

They'll also give you ice shavings from the zamboni to fill a cooler if you want. I'm not as impressed with that as dudes spit and sweat all over that ice all day, but I've seen people use the ice anyways.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Thufir posted:

We have late games and can't drink in the locker rooms or parking lot because it's a city-owned facility and the park police will bust you but we go out for pre-game beers most games.
Yeah we can't drink in the locker room either and there is no bar since the rink is owned by a crazy Christian, so we drink in the parking lot where they turn a blind eye.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Skimmed the thread a bit and I see lots of ice advice, but was wondering if anyone could help me out with a roller question. I have a set of Mission T9's that have about ~200 games on them...and the composite on the bottom of the boot cracked through the rest of the way last night and the chassis is now flexing all over the place. Was thinking about a pair of Bauers (XR70s or XR5s) but the Alkalai CA9/RPD seem to have gone on clearance. Anyone have any experience with them or maybe some other recommendations?

Also to go along beer chat...I've played on 4/5 different teams in the last year and a half since getting back into hockey and none of them are that big into the beer after games thing :(

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

We had to sign a policy saying that we wouldn't drink before the gear or bring in any. Also we can't drink at the rink's bar on game nights. It's super dumb.
My team doesn't hang out often since we can just go to someone's house a few blocks away or to a restaurant. I have seen other teams drink in the parking lot the the next door boys and girls club though.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

AboveAndBeyond posted:

We had to sign a policy saying that we wouldn't drink before the gear or bring in any. Also we can't drink at the rink's bar on game nights. It's super dumb.
My team doesn't hang out often since we can just go to someone's house a few blocks away or to a restaurant. I have seen other teams drink in the parking lot the the next door boys and girls club though.
Guessing it's because there was a fight after a game between two teams drinking?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Haven't posted in here in a while, life has been stressful. Our team of disabled Vets is now in the AHA. I don't know if that is nation-wide or a Minnesota thing or what but we all got rated (I'm a D1 after only skating for a year so I'm pretty happy) and our team is playing at C3 level. Our first game is this weekend but I can't make it :(

Also, we're doing another game with the NHL Alumni on Nov 10th and as Captain of one of the teams I get to draft my squad (each team made up of some of our team and some Alumni). Here's who we have playing with us so far:

Brad Maxwell
Wes Walz
Jack Carlson
Dan Mandich
Dave Jensen
Tom Younghans
Sean Toomey
Jeff Teal
Tom Chorske
Shjon Podein
Steve Payne

Last year a bunch of guys just showed up to play without announcing it first so who knows if we will get any more.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

D C posted:

We spend probably 30 minutes in the room post game, and if we didn't get any penalties after the game we can take the score sheet to the bar upstairs and get 2 for 1 nachos and pitchers

What the gently caress. This is amazing!

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Our rink is no-alcohol officially, but so long as it's not a problem and you don't pitch your empties in the locker room garbage you are fine. The word is that the rink checks the garbage cans after you clear the locker room but otherwise leave ya alone. It's good. Post-game beer to shower beer to more locker room beer.

Recent insanity was Monday night game (9pm) followed by Tuesday morning game (6am) and then finally getting my blood drawn at 9am after fasting since before the prior night's game. Holy poo poo what a feast after that was done!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Our rinks don't check the room for dead bodies, I can't imagine a rink caring enough to check after every usage for what's in the trash. I can actually see that being kinda nice.

I am so inconsistent with this warrior widow stick recently. Sometimes it is flawless and I am putting the puck in ridiculously small spaces with a ton of velocity and other times I can't feel poo poo and my placement is atrocious. I rarely feel the puck on the best shots but drat it feels effortless.

With my Easton I can pick my spots pretty well but the velocity never reaches the absolute peak like it can with the widow. And yeah both are same flex and pattern, but the widow is cut down like maybe 2 inches so it likely started stiffer. This type of stuff is so frustrating given that it's such an inconsistent problem.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
I need to either stop blocking hard shots with my feet or buy some of those skate fender things...

Holy poo poo my right foot hurts now, I took a hard wrister off my instep then the next shift I decided to stick my foot out to block a slapper from the point and it caught me right on the metatarsal area of my foot.

This was all in an old man pickup game that my dad plays in and I sub for from time to time.

I am a big dumb idiot

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I bought a pair of them for $80 and they are really effective. I've taken slap shots off my skate and barely felt anything. And mind you, the little bones sticking out on the outside of my ankles are one good slash away from me not walking properly ever again.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Never known a skate--minus public drop-ins--that doesn't have beer post-game, or a rink that gave a poo poo. You guys are going to the wrong places.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

sellouts posted:

Our rinks don't check the room for dead bodies, I can't imagine a rink caring enough to check after every usage for what's in the trash. I can actually see that being kinda nice.

For whatever reason, the rink *has* to be officially no empties in the trash because it's a city-owned rink and ~reasons~. They let us drink outside the rink though so long as we clean up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well of course, every single rink is "officially" no alcohol.

But the rules on the books and the rules that get enforced can be miles apart.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

If I play in the evening, it's at DU. I'm thinking they frown on booze in the locker rooms because of all the NCAA bullshit they'd have to deal with if someone raised a stink. Doesn't mean guys don't have the occasional beer, but it's usually pretty low key.

Even at other rinks, though, it seems like most guys don't have beers after drop-in. Ironic, given…y'know…this is Colorado.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

The one rink I play at is owned by the county, located in a park, and they are strictly no alcohol. They won't even let you have a drink in the parking lot either.

Other rinks are fine though as long as it is kept to the parking lot. We usually tailgate after summer games longer than the rink itself stays open.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mine has 4 beers on tap, one of which is almost always the Sierra Nevada seasonal. Mmmmmmmmm Tumbler.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

I am so inconsistent with this warrior widow stick recently. Sometimes it is flawless and I am putting the puck in ridiculously small spaces with a ton of velocity and other times I can't feel poo poo and my placement is atrocious. I rarely feel the puck on the best shots but drat it feels effortless.

With my Easton I can pick my spots pretty well but the velocity never reaches the absolute peak like it can with the widow. And yeah both are same flex and pattern, but the widow is cut down like maybe 2 inches so it likely started stiffer. This type of stuff is so frustrating given that it's such an inconsistent problem.

I have such a love-hate relationship with the Widows. They are loving cannons, but the stiffness in the hosel goes pretty fast and they get a bit noodly. At the same time I have 4 of them and I dont really feel like trying other sticks, especially since the Widows are the perfect length for me off the shelf.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

dms666 posted:

The one rink I play at is owned by the county, located in a park, and they are strictly no alcohol. They won't even let you have a drink in the parking lot either.

Precisely this for me. I'm in small ski-town high rockies so it's this sheet of ice or nothing. Like was mentioned before, though - the rink doesn't seem to care so long as there is no reason to care.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

D C posted:

I have such a love-hate relationship with the Widows. They are loving cannons, but the stiffness in the hosel goes pretty fast and they get a bit noodly. At the same time I have 4 of them and I dont really feel like trying other sticks, especially since the Widows are the perfect length for me off the shelf.

Yeah, not so much for a short guy like me. But cutting it down doesn't kill it. The toes chipped and I constantly think it is broken but it's the only stick I've owned in 6 years that still manages to surprise me with how hard and accurate it can be sometimes. And these are just wrists and snaps (which keeps the hosel stiffer longer I think).

What is the new Widow anyways? Dynasty?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

Yeah, not so much for a short guy like me. But cutting it down doesn't kill it. The toes chipped and I constantly think it is broken but it's the only stick I've owned in 6 years that still manages to surprise me with how hard and accurate it can be sometimes. And these are just wrists and snaps (which keeps the hosel stiffer longer I think).

What is the new Widow anyways? Dynasty?

One of mine has a chipped toe but its not that bad.

and the Covert is the new Widow, with the DAGGER TAPER TECHNOLOGY

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Vicas posted:

I'm in my second season up in the Ithaca, NY beer league now.

I just left Ithaca this morning!

also fu 'team small' assholes. don't wanna hear it.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I loving love hockey.

Just thought I'd share this, my personal life has been pretty poo poo this year, but my 3rd good game in a row, even though we tied, everything feels right afterwards.

Probably just the endorphin rush talking but literally today is the best I've felt in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I know that there are some officials that post here. I'd like to know what contact to the head of the goalie is considered a penalty? I've had situations where I've taken stick and body contact to the head and while I get that contact in some situations like bending over to cover the puck may be deemed incidental, I'd like to know what contact you would deem worthy of a penalty? I know that there is an emphasis this year to penalize players for hits to the head, but from what I've noticed so far, I haven't seen this protection being extended to goalies.