Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If you liked Paprika and Perfect Blue, you could check out other Satoshi Kon works? I'm assuming you liked it, anyway, since you mentioned it by name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

Then out of nowhere a couple of weeks ago I somehow started watching Chihayafuru which I loved and I don't really know where to go from that.

Chihayafuru is the pinnacle of anime but you can get close NANA, Lovely Complex, and Princess Jellyfish.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Brainamp posted:

So I just finished Tiger and Bunny on hulu. Is there a second season? If not, anything similar to fill my wanting heart? :(

The first movie is out on DVD/BD and Amazon Instant Video in the US now, it's half a recap of the first two episodes and half original content that's basically like a double length episode. Sadly there isn't anything quite like it but I suggest giving The Big O a try. They even share the same director and studio with T&B.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

My brother would like to watch some good dramas. He'd prefer something not in the present time. So something historical or more fantastical.

Samurai Champloo or Le Chevalier Deon might do the trick.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

My brother would like to watch some good dramas. He'd prefer something not in the present time. So something historical or more fantastical.

Sounds like you just described Moribito, to me.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Help Im Alive posted:

I was into anime for a little while a few years ago but I haven't seen all that much (I watched Cowboy Bebop/Welcome to the NHK and a bunch of movies like Paprika/Perfect Blue/Grave of the Fireflies. I also read Death Note and liked that a lot) Then out of nowhere a couple of weeks ago I somehow started watching Chihayafuru which I loved and I don't really know where to go from that. I guess I'm open to just about anything but I'd prefer some kind of drama. (Also I'm usually not all that into actiony/fantasy stuff if that helps)

The Devil Tesla threw out some good picks, but I'll also recommend

Paradise Kiss - It's super fantastic, but the anime suffers from a rushed ending. So if you love it, go read the manga, because as good as the anime is (and it is good) the manga is just that much better.

Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad - I absolutely adore this show and have seen it probably 3-4 times now. I would super recommend watching it dubbed because Funimation did an amazing job with it and it fits so much better than having engrish everywhere. The songs are in english and are really good as well.

Bunny Drop - Watch the anime, stay the gently caress away from the manga.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

Victorian romance emma is a good one, even if the second season isn't as great as what the manga does.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Samurai Champloo or Le Chevalier Deon might do the trick.

Redcrimson posted:

Sounds like you just described Moribito, to me.

Thanks. Those all look very good. And he already started Emma and sounds pretty enthusiastic about it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Moribito and Le Chevalier D'Eon are totally rad.

Help Im Alive posted:

I was into anime for a little while a few years ago but I haven't seen all that much (I watched Cowboy Bebop/Welcome to the NHK and a bunch of movies like Paprika/Perfect Blue/Grave of the Fireflies. I also read Death Note and liked that a lot) Then out of nowhere a couple of weeks ago I somehow started watching Chihayafuru which I loved and I don't really know where to go from that. I guess I'm open to just about anything but I'd prefer some kind of drama. (Also I'm usually not all that into actiony/fantasy stuff if that helps)
Time of Eve
Tatami Galaxy
Kids on the Slope

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Endorph posted:

If you liked Paprika and Perfect Blue, you could check out other Satoshi Kon works? I'm assuming you liked it, anyway, since you mentioned it by name.

I did like Paprika and Perfect Blue, yeah. Looking through his other stuff, Tokyo Godfathers, Millennium Actress and maybe Paranoia Agent all sound interesting - I'll check those out.

The Black Stones posted:

The Devil Tesla threw out some good picks, but I'll also recommend

Paradise Kiss - It's super fantastic, but the anime suffers from a rushed ending. So if you love it, go read the manga, because as good as the anime is (and it is good) the manga is just that much better.

Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad - I absolutely adore this show and have seen it probably 3-4 times now. I would super recommend watching it dubbed because Funimation did an amazing job with it and it fits so much better than having engrish everywhere. The songs are in english and are really good as well.

Bunny Drop - Watch the anime, stay the gently caress away from the manga.

Beck was actually one of the other ones I've already watched, I really enjoyed it too. Will look into Paradise Kiss/Bunny Drop, thanks!

The Devil Tesla posted:

Chihayafuru is the pinnacle of anime but you can get close NANA, Lovely Complex, and Princess Jellyfish.

Chas McGill posted:

Time of Eve
Tatami Galaxy
Kids on the Slope

I think some of these actually came up a couple of days ago when I was looking for what to watch after Chihayafuru so I'll have to check them out.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Should keep me busy for a while.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

I got into this show called Revolutionary Girl Utena a while back, and I thought it was ok for a while, then I thought it started to drag on a bit. Are there any other shows like it that you guys like?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thunderfinger posted:

I got into this show called Revolutionary Girl Utena a while back, and I thought it was ok for a while, then I thought it started to drag on a bit. Are there any other shows like it that you guys like?

Sadly not many. Try Pengiundrum by the same director. Also if you didn't see the movie version of Utena, it's well worth a watch, even if you've seen the series.

Also, I haven't seen it personally, but lots of people recommend Princess Tutu for fans of Utena.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Thunderfinger posted:

Mawaru Penguindrum is by the same director, and is very thematically and narratively similar to Utena.

Serial Experminets Lain, and Paranoia Agent are the same kind of trippy magical realism, but are a little bit darker in tone.

Princess Tutu is a similar take on fairy tales and magical girls.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Thunderfinger posted:

Wait, you thought it started to drag, but then you want more shows like it?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Thunderfinger posted:

Star Driver, Diebuster, and FLCL are all high energy "coming of age"-ish stories by the same writer. Penguin Drum is an anime by the same director that's in the same vein as Utena in the sense that its filled with odd humor and symbolism.

FLCL and Diebuster are both only six episodes long so length shouldn't be an issue.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

While you can probably watch Diebuster as a stand alone series, you only really get the full enjoyment out of it if you've previously seen Gunbuster. Atleast that is the case in my opinion.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I almost wanna say watch diebuster first, since I found it underwhelming as a sequel, so maybe it is better to see first?!

But then again the coolest parts of Die were the sometimes very veiled references to Gunbuster so IDK.

Gunbuster loving owns though so it should be watched no mater what sort of show you are looking for.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
I liked die buster more than gunbuster, but I have the worlds biggest boner for FLCL so maybe Im not trustworthy

Theyre both rather good though

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
You need to watch Gunbuster if order to fully appreciate the last scene of Diebuster.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I want something that is both sad and good.

Here's some examples that are sort of what I'm looking for(in no particular order):
Everything by Makoto Shinkai but especially 5cm per second and Voices of a Distant Star, AnoHana, CLANNAD, Now and Then; Here and There, and Grave of the Fireflies.

However, I'm easily wrapped up and manipulated by storytelling so I've also cried at various points in all sorts of other stories including but definitely not limited to: Paradise Kiss, Honey & Clover, Aoi Hana, Haibane Renmei, and Madoka Magica.

I guess I'm looking for something that will put my emotions through the wringer, it doesn't have to end on a down note, but the journey there should be rough. Preferably I'd like things that are closer to 5cm/second and AnoHana rather than Now and Then:Here and there or Grave of the Fireflies. Interpersonal drama and heartache rather than existential despair at the world.

Also, even though I'm susceptible to it and they totally wrecked me I'd rather the storytelling isn't quite as heavy-handed with the :siren:Hey you! Be sad now!:siren: style that Clannad and Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora are.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

a kitten posted:

Interpersonal drama and heartache rather than existential despair at the world.

Watch Saikano, then you get both.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Watch Saikano, then you get both.

Seen it! I knew my list was going to come up short. Maybe this would help: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/a_kitt3n

e: And I'm looking for anime only right now, I already have a huge backlog of books and manga to read.

vvv and that's on it.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 24, 2013

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's a manga, but I'd recommend Ai-Ren.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

a kitten posted:

You kinda listed everything I could think of, except Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
If you're ok with more Key there's Angel Beats. It was kind of rushed as a 1 cour show, but it's still really great and a personal favorite, even up against Clannad. It comes with a good dose of action and plenty of Key comedy, but it's also the only show to every bring me to tears twice, let alone at all.

If you're ok with something a bit darker and more depressing there's Casshern Sins. Truly beautiful and fantastic story, but consistently bleak and depressing throughout.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

It's a movie, not a series, but you could try Millennium Actress

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

a kitten posted:

Here's some examples that are sort of what I'm looking for(in no particular order):
Everything by Makoto Shinkai but especially 5cm per second and Voices of a Distant Star, AnoHana, CLANNAD, Now and Then; Here and There, and Grave of the Fireflies.

However, I'm easily wrapped up and manipulated by storytelling so I've also cried at various points in all sorts of other stories including but definitely not limited to: Paradise Kiss, Honey & Clover, Aoi Hana, Haibane Renmei, and Madoka Magica.

I guess I'm looking for something that will put my emotions through the wringer, it doesn't have to end on a down note, but the journey there should be rough. Preferably I'd like things that are closer to 5cm/second and AnoHana rather than Now and Then:Here and there or Grave of the Fireflies. Interpersonal drama and heartache rather than existential despair at the world.

Also, even though I'm susceptible to it and they totally wrecked me I'd rather the storytelling isn't quite as heavy-handed with the :siren:Hey you! Be sad now!:siren: style that Clannad and Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora are.

Twelve Kingdoms, maybe? It's a fantasy adventure with some really amazing character-driven stories. I'm prone to the same "being manipulated by storytelling" and crying on occasion during stories and Twelve Kingdoms definitely had a few tear-worthy moments.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cake Attack posted:

It's a manga, but I'd recommend Ai-Ren.

Yeah, if you want a real good romantic bummer, I've not read one as affecting as Ai-Ren. I always recommend it to people. It's not perfect, the apocalypse subplot could be pretty much skipped entirely, but the series as a whole is pretty beautiful. It's about love, life, death, appreciating what you have, acceptance, and saying farewell.

Also, I sent a message to the creator of it after reading it in early July, and he just replied a couple days ago which was pretty awesome, I didn't expect him to even see my message. :3:

田中ユタカ Yutaka Tanaka posted:

Thank you for the message. Sorry for my late reply.

I am glad to have you read my comics. It is impressed by your having moved the heart to "Ai-Ren " especially. Thank you very much.

When there is a schedule of publication of an English-language edition, I announce you.
He might consider an English version, which I would buy immediately.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!

a kitten posted:

Zetsuen no Tempest is probably one of the best recent anime that only a few people have watched, the characters and dialogue are fantastic and the orchestral score is very good.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, possibly Mai-HiME as well. I'll second Millennium Actress.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mason Dixon posted:

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia

ViggyNash posted:

Angel Beats
Seen 'em. Dusk Maiden ruled (surprising everyone), kind of ambivalent about Angel Beats.

Redcrimson posted:

You kinda listed everything I could think of, except Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
This, however looks just about perfect and I had forgotten it even existed.

Millennium Actress does too, and there's no good reason whatsoever that I haven't seen it yet, because Kon was one of my favorite directors. Now is a good time to fix that gap. I'll have to look at Zetsuen no Tempest too, it's been sitting in my crunchyroll queue since it aired, and I'll give a peek at the other suggestions too. Thanks!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

a kitten posted:

It's more uplifting than it ever is sad, but it does have some really good sad moments in it. I'd highly recommend Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad which is by the same director of Paradise Kiss. There's some scenes that just hit you incredibly hard and have stuck with me to this day and I've seen the show about 3 times over now. Highly recommended.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Black Stones posted:

It's more uplifting than it ever is sad, but it does have some really good sad moments in it. I'd highly recommend Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad which is by the same director of Paradise Kiss. There's some scenes that just hit you incredibly hard and have stuck with me to this day and I've seen the show about 3 times over now. Highly recommended.

Oh wow, that looks really good too.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

a kitten posted:

I'll have to look at Zetsuen no Tempest too, it's been sitting in my crunchyroll queue since it aired, and I'll give a peek at the other suggestions too. Thanks!
It's one of those series where you need to watch a couple episodes to really get the tone it's going for, and just watching the first bit might make it seem like a pretentious mess (I dropped it after the first episode but came back to it because I was bored), but it regularly takes the piss out of itself and does things that are awesome and ridiculous like have a dramatic confrontation turn into a multi-episode debate on the mechanics of time travel with everyone arguing over background music more appropriate for the Gotterdammerung.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I still can't believe they stretched one conversation over so many episodes and it didn't get old.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

a kitten posted:

Bit late on this suggestion but I watched Wolf Children Ame and Yuki recently and it might not quite have the overall tone and/or pace you're looking for but you might really like it, plus it's only a movie so it's not like you have to make a big investment to watch it. Bonus: baby wolf kids are goddamn adorable :3:

Your post reminds me that I should really get round to watching 5cm per second.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Looking for some well written drama, or a serious action/war series, something that resembles of Legend of Galactic Heroes, Monster, Now and Then Here and There, or Casshern Sins, but isn't driven by romance plots or Saikano levels of depressing.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zerilan posted:

Looking for some well written drama, or a serious action/war series, something that resembles of Legend of Galactic Heroes, Monster, Now and Then Here and There, or Casshern Sins, but isn't driven by romance plots or Saikano levels of depressing.

You should check out Zetsuen no Tempest. I honestly felt that it was a really cool series that got swept under the rug because it was basically competing against Psycho-Pass and JoJo. Don't expect anything of the caliber of LoGH, though. Still, pretty cool and engaging once it gets going. On that note, although it doesn't get to the "Drama" part in a while, Steins;Gate is another excellent show.

Now, for a question: I recently finished watching Kokoro Connect; despite all the dumb controversy that apparently surrounded the show, I do think it was a great series with great character interactions and it didn't feel like a dumb Light Novel adaptation (haven't read the books; if they are as good as the Anime, I might give them a whirl). Is there another show that kinda feels similar to that? (If it has Miyuki Sawashiro being cool as poo poo, even better).

While the others are fine, isn't Texhnolyze a bit too on the grim side? Zerilan did mention trying to skip on Saikano levels of depressing.
vvvvv

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 31, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Puella Magi Madoka Magica. One of the best shows of the last few years hands down. It gets pretty dark, but the payoff is worth it, unless you really don't like magical girls. Even then it's worth watching

I'd also suggest all the brainchildren of Yoshitoshi ABe:
Haibane Renmei. Very simple, lighthearted drama about angel-like people with no memories beyond the single one they're born with. Gorgeous show, both artistically and musically.

Texhnolyze. I relate this very closely to Casshern Sins because they have similar atmosphere. It's kind of hard to explain what it's about, but it's set in the underground city of Lux, which is ruled by a Mafia-like organization called the Organo. Things get crazy after a traveler from the surface shows up in town. Fantastic directing and storytelling.

Serial Experiment Lain. A very strange and abstract psychological drama/mystery. At the center of the show is a girl called Lain and something called the Wired, which is like the internet but for consciousnesses. It's hard to explain.

e:In response to Zerilan. Haven't watched Kokoro Connect.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 31, 2013

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Hello, I am in need of anime that is set in space for various reasons, can someone please help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coathat
May 21, 2007

Galaxy Express 999

The whole thing is on crunchyroll and it's quite good.

• Locked thread