Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

Just made 5 gallons of ~18% ABV apple wine for fifteen bucks, Hawaii prices. Only downside is the two week fermenting time. Just gotta get several batches rolling I guess.

Big Island or Oahu? What's your recipe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

bowmore posted:

I have a strong stomach.

I only ever throw up when I'm sick or horribly drunk but I gag really quickly.
A couple of weeks ago I was walking to a bar and I stopped talking for a moment because I saw a particularly big pile of dog poo poo and I was about ready to retch. My housemate finds this endlessly amusing.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The only two times I have thrown up in the last 5 years was because of 1. Bird Flu and 2. Trying to go drink for drink with my old man on his 56th birthday. He is still the master.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I learned two things last night.

1)4loko still exists.
2)It really shouldn't.

This is probably the worst hangover I've ever had.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Big Island or Oahu? What's your recipe?

Oahu.

5 gallons applejuice
5 cans frozen applejuice concentrate
2-5 pounds brown sugar, depending on how sweet you like it
1 package champagne yeast
1 measure yeast nutrient

Prime the yeast, then throw everything together in glass jugs or a carboy. Seal with a bung and an airlock (I fill mine with vodka to keep it sterile). Wait 2-3 weeks for it to come to proof. Get drunk as gently caress.

Related, I think homemade booze will make for some pretty bachelor Christmas gifts.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Alternating shots of pickle juice + cheap vodka (was considering Rothschild's but decided on HRD because :oregon:) and lime juice with same.

I think this is a bad plan but it tastes so good

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Alternating shots of pickle juice + cheap vodka (was considering Rothschild's but decided on HRD because :oregon:) and lime juice with same.

I think this is a bad plan but it tastes so good

Congratulations, you've discovered why dirty martinis are popular.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Wasabi the J posted:

But none of those things are in dirty martinis :confused:

well, vodka maybe

either way, olive shots also sound tasty, along with onion shots (cocktail onion juice?)

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
True story, the best drunk I ever had was alternating shots of vodka and just eating green olives that had cloves of garlic stuck in 'em. Ended the night at White Castle.

The next morning, I farted and three people died.

Edit: Because of this thread, I'm trying a Brass Monkey for the first time and it's delicious.

Mr. Bad Guy has a new favorite as of 05:06 on Nov 2, 2013

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Wasabi the J posted:

Pickle juice, Vermouth, Vodka is a pickletini garnish with Pickle chip.

I rarely have vermouth so I just drink olive juice and vodka in a solo cup, could be considered a dirty martini I guess.

Zombie Pirate
Jan 3, 2009

Kitty, you wouldn't happen to have any super powers, would you?

JEEVES420 posted:

Pickle juice, Vermouth, Vodka is a pickletini garnish with Pickle chip.

I rarely have vermouth so I just drink olive juice and vodka in a solo cup, could be considered a dirty martini I guess.

My grandfather used to make martinis every night. He'd get the chilled glasses and gin out of the freezer, pour the gin in the glasses, ask "Where's the vermouth? Oh that's right it's in the liquor cabinet." and serve. Vermouth is not required.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

Zombie Pirate posted:

My grandfather used to make martinis every night. He'd get the chilled glasses and gin out of the freezer, pour the gin in the glasses, ask "Where's the vermouth? Oh that's right it's in the liquor cabinet." and serve. Vermouth is not required.

What's it like being Winston Churchill's grandchild?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

But none of those things are in dirty martinis :confused:

well, vodka maybe

either way, olive shots also sound tasty, along with onion shots (cocktail onion juice?)

Both are still brined. They're similar tastes.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

kastein posted:

Oh, and for killing wasps/bugs/spiders/anything - buy a can of chlorine free brakleen at the auto parts store, the kind that lists acetone and heptane as the only ingredients. Insert spraying straw (it's the red one that comes with the can, looks like a coffee stirrer) and shoot them from like 3 feet away. They die instantly.

It will melt most paint and most plastics/inks though so be careful about what you spray it on.

I get some weird school safety training, and they suggest keeping a can of wasp spray around the classroom instead of pepper spray since it's a really bad idea to carry pepper spray (it's more likely to be used by a jackass student than to actually come in handy) in school. Turns out that it has a longer range than your average civilian pepper spray and really does not feel good when sprayed in your eyes. Students don't think "teeheehee I wonder what happens when I spray this" :downs: so it's less of a risk to keep around. Yes, middle and high school students are that stupid.

The expert who does these trainings said that after he gave a training to teachers in a small school in the middle of nowhere, the owner of the hardware store in town called him because he was confused why he was selling cases and cases of wasp spray after he came and talked to the school.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Wasabi the J posted:

Both are still brined. They're similar tastes.

Not even a little, olive brine doesn't typically have vinegar, the main attractive point of pickle juice.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Grape Soda posted:

I get some weird school safety training, and they suggest keeping a can of wasp spray around the classroom instead of pepper spray since it's a really bad idea to carry pepper spray (it's more likely to be used by a jackass student than to actually come in handy) in school. Turns out that it has a longer range than your average civilian pepper spray and really does not feel good when sprayed in your eyes.

Wouldn't wasp spray blind a kid?

Good News Everyone
Apr 30, 2009
My sister and I watched this terrible film called 'Burlesque', which stars Cher and Christina Aguilera. To make it more fun, we made up a drinking game. The only rule was 'drink when Cher is sassy'.

We ran out of crappy wine within like half an hour.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Zombie Pirate posted:

I use a similar method for Bourbon and cola.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Grape Soda posted:

I get some weird school safety training, and they suggest keeping a can of wasp spray around the classroom instead of pepper spray since it's a really bad idea to carry pepper spray (it's more likely to be used by a jackass student than to actually come in handy) in school. Turns out that it has a longer range than your average civilian pepper spray and really does not feel good when sprayed in your eyes. Students don't think "teeheehee I wonder what happens when I spray this" :downs: so it's less of a risk to keep around. Yes, middle and high school students are that stupid.

The expert who does these trainings said that after he gave a training to teachers in a small school in the middle of nowhere, the owner of the hardware store in town called him because he was confused why he was selling cases and cases of wasp spray after he came and talked to the school.

Do not do this. This is an email-forwarded hoax. Spraying poison at people is a really, really bad idea.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Pharmaskittle posted:

Wouldn't wasp spray blind a kid?

No. The active ingredient in modern school-safe stuff like Hot Shot is citrus oil. A casual spritz turns ants into mush. :3:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

DemeaninDemon posted:

I use a similar method for Bourbon and cola.

you ask where the vermouth is and realize it has no place in a bourbon and cola :confused:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The worst martini I ever had was when somebody poured the vermouth in the glass on top of the ice

Coat the ice with vermouth, don't pour it in the drat glass

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Put a little vermouth in the chilled glass, twirl it around so it coats the sides, then toss out the excess or funnel it back into the bottle.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

A correctly made martini and correctly made old fashioned are the only two cocktails that should matter to anybody.

And no loving orange or cherry or seltzer/soda/anything juice in an old fashioned. People who do things like that should never be allowed near bourbon and rye.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

JEEVES420 posted:

you ask where the vermouth is and realize it has no place in a bourbon and cola :confused:

No, I just ask where the cola is then go "right still at the store" then proceed to drink bourbon.

Way too literal dude.

And old fashions sometimes. They're delicious.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

kastein posted:

A pair of shot glasses make excellent lens containers, just make sure you remember which is which by putting one on each end of the counter. And put something over the top to keep the saline from evaporating.

My brother once drank some lady's contacts (and the solution they were kept in) because she'd put them in a shot glass. Gotta have that morning fixer, never mind you find the drink in the toilet.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

canyoneer posted:

Do not do this. This is an email-forwarded hoax. Spraying poison at people is a really, really bad idea.

Well, you read the ingredients list (which is legally required to be on the can) before you buy the stuff.

If it's the eco friendly kind that's usually some essential oil and a few other things, sure.

If it's the kind that has chemical names 4 lines long involving lots of numbers, commas, and hyphens, (1,2-diparaamide 3-methyl 8-nonoctyl-chloro-methyl-ethyl-badshit, etc) then run the gently caress away and please don't spray that at anyone.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

My cousin got an assault charge for spraying brake cleaner in a woman's eyes. Wish he would have stayed in jail.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

wallaka posted:

My cousin got an assault charge for spraying brake cleaner in a woman's eyes. Wish he would have stayed in jail.

I have had to deal with break cleaner at work and it's just about the nastiest stuff we had :stare:

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Jerry Cotton posted:

I have had to deal with break cleaner at work and it's just about the nastiest stuff we had :stare:

What's in it? A bunch of heavy organics (lots of numbers, commas, and hyphens)?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

DemeaninDemon posted:

Cancer basically.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Depends.

Chlorine free:
* common recipe 1: acetone, heptane. This poo poo is mostly benign aside from burning like crazy in both eyes and fires. It's toxic, but you have to gently caress up really bad for it to actually matter.
* common recipe 2/3: involve toluene, xylol/xylene, ethylbenzene, etc. Nasty poo poo. Try to avoid these IMO

Chlorine containing:
* carbon tet, iirc. And various benzene-based chlorinated organics.

Nothing really heavy molecule/structure wise, just nasty benzene derivatives. Brakleens are all very fast acting, very fast evaporating, very thin solvents, so none of them are going to be all that large structurally.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
In bachelor chat, there is a goon that has pried open a can of spaghetti-os and is chugging it out of the can while he takes swigs of premade margarita drink at room temperature. We have reached peak bachelor.

Oh god, he just held up a can of pork and beans to the camera. This is going to end poorly, but a night that will go down in bachelor history.

https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/7ecpj97r4jr38vjfegiavshlsk?hl=en

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
All you alcohol purists make me sick.

Crow Jane posted:

Put a little vermouth in the chilled glass, twirl it around so it coats the sides, then toss out the excess or funnel it back into the bottle.

death .cab for qt posted:

The worst martini I ever had was when somebody poured the vermouth in the glass on top of the ice

Coat the ice with vermouth, don't pour it in the drat glass

Hypnolobster posted:

A correctly made martini and correctly made old fashioned are the only two cocktails that should matter to anybody.

And no loving orange or cherry or seltzer/soda/anything juice in an old fashioned. People who do things like that should never be allowed near bourbon and rye.

I thought we were in the bachelor thread, not the "I like to pretend I'm a 1950's rat-pack guy (but only with my :spergin: alcohol rules and not grooming standards, style, outlooks on life, taste, etc."

Zombie Pirate
Jan 3, 2009

Kitty, you wouldn't happen to have any super powers, would you?
I just ate a whole (theoretically) 4 person chicken lasagna and drank a bottle of chianti at 3 am. I have no regrets.

edit: that's not true I regret that I won't have leftover lasagna for breakfast like I had planned to.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

I thought we were in the bachelor thread, not the "I like to pretend I'm a 1950's rat-pack guy"

I kind of want to make that thread.

Also, my friend with celiac (is a celiac? has celiac disease?) couldn't find anything to eat in my house, so she just drank a bottle of marinara sauce with a glass of black tea/rum. I hope to someday get to that level.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Zombie Pirate posted:

I just ate a whole (theoretically) 4 person chicken lasagna and drank a bottle of chianti at 3 am. I have no regrets.

edit: that's not true I regret that I won't have leftover lasagna for breakfast like I had planned to.

What's up 3am lasagna buddy? I'm not joking:

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Grape Soda posted:

In bachelor chat, there is a goon that has pried open a can of spaghetti-os and is chugging it out of the can while he takes swigs of premade margarita drink at room temperature. We have reached peak bachelor.

On saturday morning I woke up in a 5 star hotel I'd checked myself into after losing my keys while pissed. I have no recollection of how that happened.

That is my peak bachelor story.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

RideTheSpiral posted:

On saturday morning I woke up in a 5 star hotel I'd checked myself into after losing my keys while pissed. I have no recollection of how that happened.

This is the very best sentence.

Sadly my bachelorisms are in slightly short supply because I've not had the chance to really unwind lately, but I'm looking forward to getting back to microwaved food/Jack+coke/X-Files marathons in my underwear, while on a fully nocturnal sleep schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Wasabi the J posted:

All you alcohol purists make me sick.

I thought we were in the bachelor thread, not the "I like to pretend I'm a 1950's rat-pack guy (but only with my :spergin: alcohol rules and not grooming standards, style, outlooks on life, taste, etc."

Being lazy and efficient does not excuse making a lovely drink

You can be lazy but efficient at a lot of things but don't loving screw up a good drink

it's even really easy! Put your glass in the freezer as you start grabbing ingredients, put just a few ice cubes in a shake and pour in some vermouth, shake just a little bit. Dump the vermouth out (hope you didn't use much) and grab the glass again, put the ice in. Fill the shaker with way more ice and put in the gin, shake til the metal shaker gets frosty on the outside, pour the gin (but not the ice) into the glass. Add an olive on a toothpick, stir with toothpick, sit down in computer chair, sip martini and eat a couple dozen more olives

If you really want to expedite the process you can bring all the ingredients with you and do it the other way where you just coat the inside of the glass with vermouth and not even bother with ice but it won't be as tasty unless you keep all your booze in a mini fridge by your desk like me

• Locked thread