Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I've decided to take the plunge and build a cube for my usual playgroup and I have it mostly planned out - 360 cards, non-powered (for now I want to stick with cards I'll at least have some likelihood of being able to own in the near future) - and I was wondering about dual lands. As it stands I have fifty cards in each color, only four slots for each guild combination and no three-color cards; I have spaces for every Dual and Shock, plus a handful of rainbow lands/Evolving Wilds-style fetches and four pieces of artifact mana.

Do y'all think I should add more mana fixing? I originally had Duals, Shocks and Fetches, but I felt like having thirty lands just devoted to fixing left me with too few colorless slots left over. Is that a dumb opinion only someone who'd never built a cube before would have?

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Honestly I'm not a fan of having true duals and shocks as your colour fixing. It obviously depends a lot on how you want your cube to play, but using less powerful fixing rewards players for tight drafting and having a solid gameplan instead of going for goodstuff.dec.

Try it with shocks + manlands in each colour combination and see how it goes. Adding fetches to that is good if you want to enable splashes, while having to fetch shocks instead of true duals gives aggro decks an opening against someone who drafted too greedily.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
As an avid mana-drafter I say that if the first 5 packs go without some kind of nonbasic mana source whether it be fixing or acceleration (or an engine card of some sort) in at least one pack I'm already kind of disinterested in a particular cube.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Jabor posted:

Honestly I'm not a fan of having true duals and shocks as your colour fixing. It obviously depends a lot on how you want your cube to play, but using less powerful fixing rewards players for tight drafting and having a solid gameplan instead of going for goodstuff.dec.

Try it with shocks + manlands in each colour combination and see how it goes. Adding fetches to that is good if you want to enable splashes, while having to fetch shocks instead of true duals gives aggro decks an opening against someone who drafted too greedily.

This is something else I was thinking of (considering the Duals/Shocks as the most "vanilla" placeholders as I start to build and playtest, figuring the low amount of fixing would scare goodstuff away on its own), but I'd assumed I'd be swapping the Shocks out for more interesting lands - I like the idea of keeping the Shocks and losing the Duals instead, though. I'll give it a try!

Zoness posted:

As an avid mana-drafter I say that if the first 5 packs go without some kind of nonbasic mana source whether it be fixing or acceleration (or an engine card of some sort) in at least one pack I'm already kind of disinterested in a particular cube.

How much do you think would be enough for you to be satisfied with a 360-card cube? I counted mine up and between duals, rainbow/basic-fetch, artifact mana, etc. I have only 30 nonbasic sources (not counting ones that are only available in certain colors, like Green's mana dorks, etc). I know that's kind of a nebulous/subjective question, but I've never built a cube before and most of my friends have never drafted one before, so I don't have a lot of prior preferences to mine within my playgroup.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Hopping Ghost posted:

How much do you think would be enough for you to be satisfied with a 360-card cube? I counted mine up and between duals, rainbow/basic-fetch, artifact mana, etc. I have only 30 nonbasic sources (not counting ones that are only available in certain colors, like Green's mana dorks, etc). I know that's kind of a nebulous/subjective question, but I've never built a cube before and most of my friends have never drafted one before, so I don't have a lot of prior preferences to mine within my playgroup.

30 is probably fine - I dunno, it's the kind of thing that takes tuning I'd say.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

It's funny you mention tuning - since my initial post, I've played with my cube a few times with a friend, and while we had a good experience every single one of them, I've just been more inspired to tune my list. I don't have the cash or the cards to go towards making anything resembling a traditional cube, but with the Theros commons/uncommons I picked up, and my starting pile, I can get most of the way toward a decent approximation of a decent Peasant cube list (albiet with 360 or 450). Which, really, is what I was trying to do, because I want something that feels a bit more like a traditional Limited environment than the full power and complexity of a normal cube. I'm hoping to have my cube be accessible to new players, so that if I do sealed or team draft new players, they can have a good experience. I have noticed a few things...

-It seems like a lot of Peasant cubes really, heavily prioritize low drops, with only a very few 5, 6, and 7 drops, with very few of the last one at all. I know most limited decks don't need many (any?) 7 drops in faster formats, but I'm hoping for control to be viable in the environment I create. I assume this is done less by including strong, slow finishers, and more by including good defensive cards and removal?

-It's been interesting to see the many different cards peasant lists run and test as 'good enough'. For my part, I understand most of these, and the desire to cut chaff cards that no one really wants to play with is why I'm going back to rebuild the cube from the ground up rather than just heavily revise my list. I was surprised, though, to not run into Skarrg guildmage on any lists. While I know that he doesn't jive with what Gruul is often doing, the man was a house in GTC limited, and my opponent managed to handily beat me to death with him in our testing. I suspect other people often have 'pet cards' that are maybe actually good like this. Do any of you with pauper or peasant cubes have any experiences like this one?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yeah, with peasant cubes you usually have to try a bit harder to make aggro viable, because the most impactful cards in cube are the midrange-y good creatures (like Cloudgoat Ranger, Blastoderm, Serra Angel, Kitchen Finks, etc.) which have a side-effect of stopping aggro dead in its tracks. Control can handle midrange just fine because it has access to good removal, good defensive early drops, quality card draw and even good ways to finish the game (creatures like Jetting Glasskite, flocks of fliers, token swarms, pingers). Also, a lot of good aggressive 1 and 2 drops in non-peasant cubes are rare (Gravecrawler, Goblin Guide, Stormkirk Noble, Student of Warfare)

Skarrg Guildmage is really good, in my opinion. I'm considering adding it instead of Gruul Charm in my gruul section. The only reason I haven't added it yet is because I have a lot of fliers and I want to keep them in check. But I'm going from 360 to 420 soon and most new creatures are going to be non-fliers so I might make the switch then.

I've been looking at a lot of peasant lists on the mtgsalvation forums, and while they can give you really good ideas for some awesome cards or serve as a starting point for a cube, the lists there tend to resemble each other quite a bit, probably because they discuss single cards a lot, so there's some groupthink going on. So my advice would be if you like a card and you evaluate that it's a good card (like Skarrg Guildmage), just put it in. I have some kind of janky cards that I run either because they're just pet cards (like Delay, Oona's Grace, Phthisis) or because I want to support some archetype (like Vedalken Entrancer, Mind Grind, and Millstone to keep mill as a control finisher)

Here's my cube if it helps, it'd also be cool to get some opinions on it from people in this thread: http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/3658

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Jabor posted:

IMO 30 lands (3 for each color) should really be the bare minimum for a 360 cube unless you're doing some sort of mono-color theme. My 450 cube runs 46 mana-fixing lands (10x Duals, 10x Fetches, and 10x Shocks, plus additional duals based on each color pair's needs and a few universal fixers) and we never have a problem with "5-color good stuff" decks dominating. That works out to about 36 mana-fixing lands in a 360.

If "5-color good stuff" decks are dominating, cutting mana-fixing is the last place I'd go to address the issue, since reducing the available mana beyond a certain point can really hurt replayability.

The first culprit could be that you don't have enough synergy in your cube - if the decks that are winning are always a pile of the best cards mashed together, take time to analyze what synergistic strategies are available and how powerful they are when assembled. If your "stone cold nuts" synergy deck can't regularly beat a 5-color pile, then the archetype needs to be retuned or cut.

The second culprit is not enough mana denial - aggro decks especially should have easy access to mana disruption. Strip Mine/Wasteland/Port/Geddon are obvious inclusions, but less-included cards like Smallpox or Winter Orb are still nightmares for 5-color decks when backed up by a quick clock.

The final culprit is simply that blue is way too good in many cubes. If you think "5-color goodstuff", often the image that comes to mind is "good blue engine spells (countermagic/draw) backed up by removal and finishers from other colors". If you jam nothing but Impulses, Fact or Fictions, Preordains, etc. into your blue section, 5-color control is an inevitability. What I've done with my blue section is give it more of a tempo and combo support - sure, you still have your blue staples like Jace and Force of Will, but they live alongside cards like Frantic Search, Mystical Tutor, Gifts Ungiven, Man-o-War, and Coralhelm Commander - instead of just "more good draw/countermagic". The key is to weave in synergies with other colors that aren't just based upon blue's ability to draw/filter cards - then you'll start seeing synergistic multicolor decks at the top tables.

If you severely restrict your mana-fixing instead of taking one or more of the steps above, you're really hurting your players' ability to draft varied and interesting decks.

Lord Of Texas fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Oct 31, 2013

taladel
Jun 3, 2011

Fezzin' the days away...

Jabor posted:

OG duals help to enable two and three color aggro decks as well. CIPT lands are bad for curving out. The fixing can go to goodstuff decks or 5 color control but spending early picks on lands gives the aggressive players more opportunities to draft better nonland permanents.

I also really like the shadowmoor/eventide filter lands.

taladel fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Oct 31, 2013

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
You sound a lot like me in terms of what you're looking for in a cube experience. I'm a strong believer that peasant cubes strike the perfect balance between power level and accessibility that make for a rewarding play experience for players of all levels. One quick note on cube size, I think if you're getting above 450 for a peasant cube, you're going to quickly see a drop-off in card quality.

As far as control decks go, I'd echo a lot of the sentiments that Bonus put out there. Creatures at higher mana costs at common and uncommon just happen to generally be worse than the creatures at lower mana costs, so we have to be a lot more selective in what we allow into the cube. For me, the only 7+ drop creatures in my cube are either green or colorless, and are almost exclusively played by the green ramp deck. Control decks usually win by using efficient removal and countermagic to control the board, and then bury their opponents with card advantage using things like Crystal Shard + creatures with ETB effects, Azure Mage, etc. Haunter of Nightveil has done a TON of work in control decks in my cube.

For pet cards, I think that's one of the best parts about owning a cube. You get final say as to what cards are good/fun enough to make the cut, within reason of course. If you think Skarrg Guildmage is good enough for your cube, and it's doing work, then it really doesn't matter what other people are/aren't doing. If it's working for you, that's all that really matters. Personally, I started with a 360 card cube and had to push it to 370 because I just couldn't find room at 360 for an additional multicolored card for each guild, each of which is sort of a pet card for me.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
I woudn't cut good fixing for more "interesting" fixing. It hurts aggro proportionally more than it hurts the other decktypes when you start adding in tons of lands that ETBT. Dual/Shock/Fetch should be the 30 land baseline at the bottom of every cube list, IMO.

Painlands are the only decent alternative to using the good lands, but even then, aggro being able to snag duals with their fetches is really important to their success.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

WhiteWolf123 posted:

I woudn't cut good fixing for more "interesting" fixing. It hurts aggro proportionally more than it hurts the other decktypes when you start adding in tons of lands that ETBT. Dual/Shock/Fetch should be the 30 land baseline at the bottom of every cube list, IMO.

Painlands are the only decent alternative to using the good lands, but even then, aggro being able to snag duals with their fetches is really important to their success.

The Scars fastlands are also excellent for aggressive support, and I'd argue better than painlands in both form and function. Of course, not being available for enemy color pairs sucks.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
At 360 I would run 30 duals in the classic Dual/Fetch/Shock configuration. Moving up to 450, I would add another 10 duals, probably a combo of pain lands and worldwake manlands. In addition to this I would run 10 or more utility lands. For the manlands that I like to run at 360, I put them in the color they belong in place of other nonland cards (e.g. treetop village in green, creeping tar pit in dimir).

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

/\ /\ /\ That's exactly what I'd do too. I like Horizon Canopy as my #4 land for Selesnya more than the manland though; Canopy is an insane land.

Lord Of Texas posted:

The Scars fastlands are also excellent for aggressive support, and I'd argue better than painlands in both form and function. Of course, not being available for enemy color pairs sucks.

Ya, the Scars lands are great for aggressive decks. But as you said, they're not available for all 10 guilds. I have still had plenty of times I wished that Blackcleave Cliffs had been a Sulfurous Springs instead though. There is something to be said about the consistency of a land that can always tap for the colored mana that you need.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

WhiteWolf123 posted:

/\ /\ /\ That's exactly what I'd do too. I like Horizon Canopy as my #4 land for Selesnya more than the manland though; Canopy is an insane land.

Ya, the Scars lands are great for aggressive decks. But as you said, they're not available for all 10 guilds. I have still had plenty of times I wished that Blackcleave Cliffs had been a Sulfurous Springs instead though. There is something to be said about the consistency of a land that can always tap for the colored mana that you need.

It depends on the cube really, the Scars lands get more powerful relative to the painlands the more aggressive one's cube is, since painlands are rough in aggro mirrors. But, from a game design perspective, I think they are close enough in power level that the far superior design of the fastlands (once they're untapped and in play, they function exactly the same as any other dual) means fastlands get first priority in my cube.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Are there any more cheap citp-tap lands like the guildgates for budget cubes?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

CountFosco posted:

Are there any more cheap citp-tap lands like the guildgates for budget cubes?

You can find a pretty comprehensive listing here. From that list I'd recommend at least picking up the Refuge taplands and the Alara triple colored taplands. Most of the worldwake manlands are pretty cheap too.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Thanks for all the perspectives on lands! Hopefully I'll have a solid starting list and get the cards I don't already have proxied up in time for the next time my group gets together. We're all looking forward to it.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I feel like a really heavy multi-color emphasis is the best way to build Peasant and Pauper cubes. You have to be really careful about balancing the curve because of how powerful the 2 slot gets in that format but other than that there is a lot of options for strategy and a lot of decent cards with good effects.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Bonus posted:

Yeah, with peasant cubes you usually have to try a bit harder to make aggro viable, because the most impactful cards in cube are the midrange-y good creatures (like Cloudgoat Ranger, Blastoderm, Serra Angel, Kitchen Finks, etc.) which have a side-effect of stopping aggro dead in its tracks. Control can handle midrange just fine because it has access to good removal, good defensive early drops, quality card draw and even good ways to finish the game (creatures like Jetting Glasskite, flocks of fliers, token swarms, pingers). Also, a lot of good aggressive 1 and 2 drops in non-peasant cubes are rare (Gravecrawler, Goblin Guide, Stormkirk Noble, Student of Warfare)

Skarrg Guildmage is really good, in my opinion. I'm considering adding it instead of Gruul Charm in my gruul section. The only reason I haven't added it yet is because I have a lot of fliers and I want to keep them in check. But I'm going from 360 to 420 soon and most new creatures are going to be non-fliers so I might make the switch then.

I've been looking at a lot of peasant lists on the mtgsalvation forums, and while they can give you really good ideas for some awesome cards or serve as a starting point for a cube, the lists there tend to resemble each other quite a bit, probably because they discuss single cards a lot, so there's some groupthink going on. So my advice would be if you like a card and you evaluate that it's a good card (like Skarrg Guildmage), just put it in. I have some kind of janky cards that I run either because they're just pet cards (like Delay, Oona's Grace, Phthisis) or because I want to support some archetype (like Vedalken Entrancer, Mind Grind, and Millstone to keep mill as a control finisher)

Here's my cube if it helps, it'd also be cool to get some opinions on it from people in this thread: http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/3658

Thanks! In the end I'm probably gonna get ideas for filling out holes to replace the janky or outright bad parts of my current list from this and other things, and I'll accept the general slide towards midrange, somewhat. I still really like the notion of a peasant cube, and I finally have the time to start building, again, today.

I actually do have a lot of decent guild cards because I played during Invasion block back in the day, and came back during RTR (with some INN). I can really get into the 10 guild identities, and I'm hoping that the multi-colored cards enable strong deck identities, while there's enough fixing available that splashing a 3rd color is perfectly viable, if not entirely free. In my current build it's definitely possible; I actually got pounded out by 5-color control that a friend of mine who is just better at MTG cobbled together. I really enjoyed the games, though.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Mr.Kite posted:

You can find a pretty comprehensive listing here. From that list I'd recommend at least picking up the Refuge taplands and the Alara triple colored taplands. Most of the worldwake manlands are pretty cheap too.

Thanks for the link. I was really hoping that there was a cycle of the invasion-style taplands in enemy colors, sad to see they haven't gotten around to that yet :(

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Lord Of Texas posted:

It depends on the cube really, the Scars lands get more powerful relative to the painlands the more aggressive one's cube is, since painlands are rough in aggro mirrors. But, from a game design perspective, I think they are close enough in power level that the far superior design of the fastlands (once they're untapped and in play, they function exactly the same as any other dual) means fastlands get first priority in my cube.

They would for me too, if I had room for any of them. No enemy fastlands = no fastlands, because they don't break the top 4 in the allied pairs. ;)

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

For peasant, I'm actually not sure I can think of a good solution to the 'non-taplands' problem. Right now I'm running the cycle of guild gates, the Vivids, the Panoramas, and a few 5-color fixers that are all ETB tapped, or don't immediately tap for colored mana. I've considered Depletion lands as non-ETB tapped lands, but they all seem so severe in their drawback that I'm not actually sure that they're better than basic lands for aggro deck fixing. I know I'm going to be replacing the Planeshift 'Dragon Lairs' with the Alara tri-lands, and I'm just not sure there's a good answer in Peasant for lands that immediately produce more than one color.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
Strictly within Peasant, the only good ETB untapped lands for aggro are Gemstone Mine and City of Brass. Beyond that, you have to start breaking the rules of Peasant by adding rare lands. I'm considering replacing the guildgates in my cube with Ice Age/Apocalypse pain lands, but I realize that at that point I would no longer have a Peasant cube, strictly speaking.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

revengeanceful posted:

Strictly within Peasant, the only good ETB untapped lands for aggro are Gemstone Mine and City of Brass. Beyond that, you have to start breaking the rules of Peasant by adding rare lands. I'm considering replacing the guildgates in my cube with Ice Age/Apocalypse pain lands, but I realize that at that point I would no longer have a Peasant cube, strictly speaking.

Honestly I think that breaking the peasant restrictions for lands is totally reasonable. It will only make the cube more fun to play because multicolored aggro decks will be better.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Someone else made the suggestion that peasant cubes that use rare dual lands should be called landed gentry cubes.

taladel
Jun 3, 2011

Fezzin' the days away...

whydirt posted:

Someone else made the suggestion that peasant cubes that use rare dual lands should be called landed gentry cubes.

Wow that is loving gold.

Ebethron
Apr 27, 2008

"I hear the coast is nice this time of year."
"If you're in the right business, it's nice all the year."

whydirt posted:

Brilliant! This is what I'm doing with my peasant cube, going to upgrade to Shocks and Checklands, which interact so nicely with one another, plus Vivids. The other lands available at Peasant level introduce a bias against aggro; I want decks like Zoo and UWR tempo to be viable.

Ebethron fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 5, 2013

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
I've been working on a Standard peasant cube (I originally built a standard pauper cube, but some preliminary drafting showed the format to be painfully weak). If anyone has 5 minutes to glance over the list and tell me if I've made any glaring omissions or ridiculous inclusions, it would be appreciated. http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/5069

I've only ever played a proxy power cube and a pauper cube before this, and only once each, so I'm not sure if I've got a decent box of cards here, or an uncomfortable time for all involved.

I've tried to avoid allowing mill as an option, and I've tried to stick (where possible) to the approximate curve for each colour demonstrated in the current standard overall. Where a colour is underrepresented, it's because there was a split card that did similar things to a card in that colour that I'd already included, so I added the split instead. It's heavily invested in multi-coloured cards at the moment, but when Born of the Gods comes out, I'll probably drop it from 7/pair to 6/pair.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

I'd break the peasant rule to include Shocklands at the very least, and maybe the Temples instead of or in addition to Guildgates. 15 mana-fixing lands (and bad ones at that) is not going to be a fun time when 20% of the cube is multicolor cards.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Lord Of Texas posted:

I'd break the peasant rule to include Shocklands at the very least, and maybe the Temples instead of or in addition to Guildgates. 15 mana-fixing lands (and bad ones at that) is not going to be a fun time when 20% of the cube is multicolor cards.

Given that a full set of shocklands is more expensive than the whole cube (and the temples aren't much cheaper), I think I'll probably break the standard rule instead (for lands). Either 10 2-colour CIPT bounce lands, or 5 3-colour sacrifice lands and 5 3-colour bounce lands (depending on availability on order day, to be honest).

I originally had two sets of guildgates and a set of cluestones in the cube - I dropped one set for keyrunes, and then dropped the cluestones for other cards. That would probably explain the lack of fixing that was originally decent.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my cube - the insight is appreciated now rather than after the first few drafts.

Death of Rats fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 8, 2013

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
I run a no-limits Peasant Cube, and you'd probably be doing yourself a favor opening it up to Modern at least. There's only a handful of expensive uncommons, a lot of them brought down a bit by Modern Masters. And even for just lands, there's easily 40-50 quality lands to include.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Kasonic posted:

I run a no-limits Peasant Cube, and you'd probably be doing yourself a favor opening it up to Modern at least. There's only a handful of expensive uncommons, a lot of them brought down a bit by Modern Masters. And even for just lands, there's easily 40-50 quality lands to include.

I agree. If you're going to restrict it to C/U cards, it'll open up a lot of options making it Modern-legal vs. Standard-legal.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Death of Rats posted:

Given that a full set of shocklands is more expensive than the whole cube (and the temples aren't much cheaper), I think I'll probably break the standard rule instead (for lands). Either 10 2-colour CIPT bounce lands, or 5 3-colour sacrifice lands and 5 3-colour bounce lands (depending on availability on order day, to be honest).

I originally had two sets of guildgates and a set of cluestones in the cube - I dropped one set for keyrunes, and then dropped the cluestones for other cards. That would probably explain the lack of fixing that was originally decent.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my cube - the insight is appreciated now rather than after the first few drafts.

While increasing the quantity of mana fixing is a good start, there's also something to be said about the quality. All of the lands you proposed including are dreadful for aggressive or tempo decks. If you aren't averse to it, I'd consider proxying the A/B/U lands, Shocklands, and Fetchlands - you simply won't find anything that fills the same role when sticking strictly to Peasant rules for lands.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

They really should just print the painlands as uncommons at some point soon.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

WhiteWolf123 posted:

They really should just print the painlands as uncommons at some point soon.

Honestly, where I'm at with my cube, I think this would probably be the most ideal case for the fixing improvements. Right now I'm just running some of the more interesting CIPT fixing, and erring on the side of 'too much fixing for control and multicolored shenanigans' than 'too little, multicolored cards become hard to play'. Especially since I cut more of my chaff rocks.

I'm using Bonus' cube to get a better model for my mana curve and color balance, and picking up cheap as free good commons to fill out slots, once I have an idea of what I desperately need. I do have one question, which seems to get a lot of debate:

Where do you place various multicolored cards when you consider color balance in your cubes? I know this is a question that doesn't have a hard and fast answer, but it seems like there are 3 major cases:

1) Straight up 2-color. Vitu-Ghazi guildmage seems like a clear example of this. Has both colors on him, he's great, but he only works in the multicolored deck.

2) Fine in one color, filler in another. Probe with kicker, Agent of Horizons with activation, and Arctic Aven all are examples I have. I might cut some of these, because for them to be really good, they're multicolored cards.

3) Straight up Hybrid. Rakdos Cackler is a clear example of this for me, as I'm trying to support the aggressive side of black as well as red, so both decks might want him. He's fine in any lists that run black or red.

Right now I'm lumping all 3 cases in the 'multicolored' slot that they represent, but it's obvious that this over-represents the multicolored theme in my cube. Do people just adjust the case-2s and case-3s at the end to various singular colors to show that they're creating a color-balanced environment, or do people find it generally more useful to leave these things listed as multi-colored to show how various color pairs are supported?

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
At the moment my 450 cube uses multicolor like so:

35 Gold, three of each color plus one of each arc: Generally centerpiece cards or psuedo-bombs that can direct your deckbuilding, a la Theros. Gold cards focus your deck and limit choice, so they should pay off for the investment. I've tried to keep the 2-for-1 cards restricted to here. The arc cards haven't worked out and I'm probably going to remove them with my next revision.

20 Hybrid, two of each color: Small utility creatures that fill holes or combat tricks. These are the opposite of gold cards, being much more flexible, so I wanted them to be fun to play but not key players.

10 "Color Splash" cards like Battlemages: Mostly to have somewhere to put a few solid cross-color guys I like. This is probably my weakest cycle in the cube, and I'd advise to simply mix them in with your golds.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
In my peasant cube, I count most hybrid and phyrexian mana cards as 1/2 of each parent color, and then adjust the monocolor sections based on the overall totals. In my cube, this ends up with black having two additional cards since it has the fewest playable hybrids. When I cubed it, I had Boggart Ram-Gang in my gold section since it really was best played in a Gruul deck as opposed to a G/x or R/x deck.

I stick off-color flashback cards in the primary color's mono section. While they do play best when you have ample access to both colors, it's easier to splash for a color if you don't need it at the same time as the other color and/or until late into the game.

Ultimately, if there's a card I really want in my cube, I'm more than willing to tweak my system to make it fit.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Kasonic posted:

At the moment my 450 cube uses multicolor like so:

35 Gold, three of each color plus one of each arc: Generally centerpiece cards or psuedo-bombs that can direct your deckbuilding, a la Theros. Gold cards focus your deck and limit choice, so they should pay off for the investment. I've tried to keep the 2-for-1 cards restricted to here. The arc cards haven't worked out and I'm probably going to remove them with my next revision.

20 Hybrid, two of each color: Small utility creatures that fill holes or combat tricks. These are the opposite of gold cards, being much more flexible, so I wanted them to be fun to play but not key players.

10 "Color Splash" cards like Battlemages: Mostly to have somewhere to put a few solid cross-color guys I like. This is probably my weakest cycle in the cube, and I'd advise to simply mix them in with your golds.

This makes sense, and you've reminded me of my battlemage. I'm cutting down during rebuilding, and I've managed to go from ~612 considerations post-theros to 450 today. I need to tweak it at least to get it balanced, and I'll probably eventually make another round of adjustments and cuts to get down to 360. With the current state of the list, it's pretty multicolor heavy, and I don't have as much artifact/artifact creature support as I'd like. I also want to rebalance creatures vs spells in a few colors, green and blue are a bit more out of whack than I want them.

http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/2874

edit: after a long night of editing, with a few very budget TCGplayer pickups, I'm down to 360, with balance, and only a little lighter in the wallet. Managed to forget about my Battlemage, though, so I'll figure out a way to slot him in.

KaoliniteMilkshake fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

Where do you place various multicolored cards when you consider color balance in your cubes? I know this is a question that doesn't have a hard and fast answer, but it seems like there are 3 major cases:

1) Straight up 2-color. Vitu-Ghazi guildmage seems like a clear example of this. Has both colors on him, he's great, but he only works in the multicolored deck.

2) Fine in one color, filler in another. Probe with kicker, Agent of Horizons with activation, and Arctic Aven all are examples I have. I might cut some of these, because for them to be really good, they're multicolored cards.

3) Straight up Hybrid. Rakdos Cackler is a clear example of this for me, as I'm trying to support the aggressive side of black as well as red, so both decks might want him. He's fine in any lists that run black or red.

Right now I'm lumping all 3 cases in the 'multicolored' slot that they represent, but it's obvious that this over-represents the multicolored theme in my cube. Do people just adjust the case-2s and case-3s at the end to various singular colors to show that they're creating a color-balanced environment, or do people find it generally more useful to leave these things listed as multi-colored to show how various color pairs are supported?

I lump them all together with other cards from the same guilds for a couple reasons. First off, that's where they're at their best. You CAN play Probe without the kicker, but would you play it in a deck where it can't be kicked? Probably not. Secondly, the balance of playable hybrid cards isn't evenly distributed. I don't want to have to cut good hybrid cards or include bad ones just to have a balanced hybrid section. I just let the good hybrid cards kick some of the true gold cards out, and it's a win/win.