Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

The smart case is pretty baller. The leather feels nice, it doesn't add much weight or bulk, and it looks to give it some nice corner drop protection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The loading times on this thing are hilariously fast compared to the 3. Playing X-Com I can get through the initial load, click resume, load the map or mission control and be in-game faster than it took the 3 to do the initial load.

Stupid fast. I love it.

Oh and actually have airdrop available between my phone and iPad will certainly come in handy.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I placed my order at 3AM EDT Friday morning, strolled in around 11AM. Picked up one of the display models and was in total disbelief .. I cannot even grasp how they dropped this much weight off the device. It is PERFECT now. I love having a nice tablet again. :)

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The loading times on this thing are hilariously fast compared to the 3. Playing X-Com I can get through the initial load, click resume, load the map or mission control and be in-game faster than it took the 3 to do the initial load.

Stupid fast. I love it.

Oh and actually have airdrop available between my phone and iPad will certainly come in handy.

Yea XCOM feels totally different in my air vs a 3.

Excited for some serious games to start hitting iPad.

Could Civ 5 come one day?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone know why Plex would barely work on my iPad (4th generation) yet it works just fine on my AppleTV? It is constantly loading/buffering on my iPad, no matter what I put for the settings. I am 10 feet from the WiFi router so it's definitely not a range issue. Again, it works perfect with the AppleTV (which is using WiFi as well).

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Don Tacorleone posted:

Jeez, is anyone NOT extremely positive about their new iPad Air? The OG mini had its fair share of complaints (screen and interface complaints mostly), but I don't think I've seen anything consistently complained about regarding the Air. Fuckers need to get here soon.

I think it really comes down to how much the weight of previous iPads bothered you. I used to spend hours holding my iPad 2/3 in one hand to read and I never found it uncomfortable, so this thing feels like it weighs practically nothing. The fact that there's a bigger weight difference between the 3 and the air than there is between the air and the mini is still kind of mind blowing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh! I also like the new Smart Cover less than the previous design. The four-panel design seemed to be a bit better in my opinion.

Radnor
Dec 11, 2002

Octoparrot is watching you.

Endless Mike posted:

Oh! I also like the new Smart Cover less than the previous design. The four-panel design seemed to be a bit better in my opinion.

Agreed. I was used to folding it back and then in half, but now that it has 3 panels I just feels awkward no matter how I fold it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yea my smart case is going back. There is nothing it is doing that I value. The dangling flap is always awkward.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
With three panels it can't fold into a stand, right? That sounds way worse then the previous smart covers.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

withak posted:

With three panels it can't fold into a stand, right? That sounds way worse then the previous smart covers.
Yeah, it still can.

I find myself completely removing it when I use the iPad for reading or browsing since I can't fold it on itself as a handgrip anymore. Still works well as a stand (either orientation) and protective cover, though.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I ordered a case of Amazon but I'm using an old netbook sleeve in the meantime. I actually might stick with this setup. This thing is so awesome to use a case would just add bulk to that.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

djhaloeight posted:

? They both have 1GB RAM. Why more refreshes with the air? I haven't noticed that with my air either, coming from the 3rd gen.

My ipad 3 is still on ios 6. Could be why.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

withak posted:

Actually, it's better at that. On my iPad 3, you could fold into a triangle, but to keep it standing up, you had to have the felt on the outside of the stand. The new Smart Cover has it so the outside of the cover is on the outside of the stand, which makes way more sense.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

On the iPads with cellular, does the carrier choice impact anything besides the SIM card that comes with the device? All previous iPads have been carrier unlocked, just want to make sure I know what I'm buying before I order.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I agree the three panel Smart Cover isn't nearly as useful as the previous four panel.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Yeah I'm returning my leather smart cover

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I remember hating that about my Mini smart cover so when I switched to a 3, the actually usable smart cover was pretty nice. Wouldn't buckle every time you breathed at it wrong.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, it still can.

I find myself completely removing it when I use the iPad for reading or browsing since I can't fold it on itself as a handgrip anymore. Still works well as a stand (either orientation) and protective cover, though.

I would argue it doesn't work well as a stand. With 3 panels all you get is a faint magnetic lock if you get it just right and a slight knock, bump or tug it completely undoes itself.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Feenix posted:

I would argue it doesn't work well as a stand. With 3 panels all you get is a faint magnetic lock if you get it just right and a slight knock, bump or tug it completely undoes itself.

That really sucks. On my previous iPads I would usually rip the cover off except for transport or to use it as a stand, but if it's not even useful as a stand anymore I guess I'll just keep the Air completely naked. :(

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
So I just bought an iPad Air 16GB with the apple magnetic stand thingy.

I've got it all set up and really enjoying it (I'm an android person mainly but there wasn't a similar tablet that I thought would do the job).

I've been through the various settings etc but are there any particular things I should turn off etc?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

WastedJoker posted:

So I just bought an iPad Air 16GB with the apple magnetic stand thingy.

I've got it all set up and really enjoying it (I'm an android person mainly but there wasn't a similar tablet that I thought would do the job).

I've been through the various settings etc but are there any particular things I should turn off etc?

The only setting I've changed is turning reduced motion on.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
The battery percentage thing. Otherwise, iOS power manages extremely well to the point of not having to turn things off to maximize your battery life.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
At tmobile store right now. Apparently cannot get both the 24 month 0 interest and the 200mb if you do not already have a voice line. Just read an internal thing they posted. Not a huge deal for me, I will just pay for it all upfront but could be a deal breaker to others.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

WastedJoker posted:

I usually turn off Bluetooth just because there's no devices I use with it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Endless Mike posted:

Actually, it's better at that. On my iPad 3, you could fold into a triangle, but to keep it standing up, you had to have the felt on the outside of the stand. The new Smart Cover has it so the outside of the cover is on the outside of the stand, which makes way more sense.

Feenix posted:

As Steve Jobs would say, "you're folding it wrong."

While you are able to fold it the other way as well, the officially endorsed method is felt outward. That's why it collapses if you push too much on it with the felt inside.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
One thing I've noticed: my fingers don't get much traction on the Air. It's a minor thing, but it means that a naked Air can slip in my fingers if I'm not holding it tightly or just so. Kind of a shame, although I can still hold it one-handed, which is a minor miracle.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
I really like my Smart Cover.

It's my first one but it does exactly what it's supposed to do.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

As Steve Jobs would say, "you're folding it wrong."

While you are able to fold it the other way as well, the officially endorsed method is felt outward. That's why it collapses if you push too much on it with the felt inside.

Thanks for this. It seems to work better this way. The downside is it picks up debris on the inside of the cover.

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

TraderStav posted:

I've been pretty happy with my 2 for the longest time and thinking of dropping on a 32gb lte to get the free sweet 200mb. From the sound of everyone updating from the 3 and 4 I should be in for a real treat?

I upgraded from a 2 to the Air, and it's fantastic. As an artificial benchmark, the Air's Geekbench score is over 5x that of my old iPad, and it's been borne out in real-world experience. For example, 2 or more gifs no longer practically freeze the thing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

smallmouth posted:

Thanks for this. It seems to work better this way. The downside is it picks up debris on the inside of the cover.

Designing the base of the stand to also be the part that goes against the screen is pretty dumb.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Thinking about this case here for at least the near term until newer cases come out onto the market. Has anyone used the previous versions of it and can give any feedback on them? I'd likely go with the brown or black one. It doesn't need to be great, especially at that price but really don't want something terrible.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

If you get the T-Mobile ipad do the 200 mb per month roll over if unused? Probably not huh.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No. 6 posted:

On the iPads with cellular, does the carrier choice impact anything besides the SIM card that comes with the device? All previous iPads have been carrier unlocked, just want to make sure I know what I'm buying before I order.
Only Verizon and Sprint models can work on Verizon and Sprint, respectively, as far as we know due to CDMA lock-in, but they are all GSM and LTE unlocked and SIM cards can be swapped without a problem. I'm fairly certain they all have the same bands for everything, as well. At this point, there's no good reason to NOT buy a Verizon one. (There are still plenty of reasons to not get a Sprint one.)

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I like the hinge on the new Smart Cover a whole lot better. It doesn't flip the wrong way or get all weird as much.

I hate that I can't fold it in half but I've just gotten used to flipping it completely back, and the magnet works well.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

No. 6 posted:

All I know is that I had to get the AT&T one if I wanted mine to work abroad.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

Only Verizon and Sprint models can work on Verizon and Sprint, respectively, as far as we know due to CDMA lock-in, but they are all GSM and LTE unlocked and SIM cards can be swapped without a problem. I'm fairly certain they all have the same bands for everything, as well. At this point, there's no good reason to NOT buy a Verizon one. (There are still plenty of reasons to not get a Sprint one.)

Looks like there is indeed just one model worldwide, and the only difference is Sprint or Verizon one is just on the respective CDMA whitelist. Meanwhile there's two different models of the original iPad Mini given the carrier/region.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/LTE/

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Weight being the only minor negative, I'm waiting for the Switcheasy Canvas for the Air. It's the best folio
Case I've ever had.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Feenix posted:

Weight being the only minor negative, I'm waiting for the Switcheasy Canvas for the Air. It's the best folio
Case I've ever had.

It looks like it would double the thickness of an Air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Finally made it to the Apple store and I was very impressed with the new iPad. I had an iPad 1 and it's like night and day. Still not buying one until I try out the new mini, but very hard decision.