Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I don't feel like it was ever an attempt to appeal to old school Republicans.

It seemed more like a way to appeal to the middle class by choosing a target that a lot of people have a negative view of, taxes, and hitching all of their corporate subsidy, tax reduction bullshit to that support, but then it got co-opted into this fetishistic burn the government to the ground insanity.

Pretty much this, it was clearly a planned 'grassroots' movement (There were I believe TeaParty.com type URLs registered even before Santelli made his speech that had fully functioning sites up advertising different 'tea parties' within hours) but attracted a much more vocal and out there group than expected. The hope had been to get the base fired up and give moderate right voters something that they could feel involved in and appealed to pretty much everyone who leans right (against government over-reach, overtaxation, etc.) as well as a convenient front for attacking Democrat policies. Instead the crazies latched on, turned the moderates off, launched attacks on Democrat conspiracy theories and started pushing for the kinds of values Ghengis Khan would have thought was a little extreme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Del Capitan
Feb 9, 2007

Congratulations! You have brought Chaos to the world!
I seem to recall mentions of tea party patriots and such back in the days of the mighty Ron Paul blimp. In particular, about a tea party gathering in which they expected the blimp pilot to fly through a storm. I think these were the guys that the modern Tea Party has co-opted the identity from? There were certainly a lot of colonial cosplayers among them, if memory serves.

Twisted Perspective
Sep 15, 2005

I've come to see you...

Del Capitan posted:

I seem to recall mentions of tea party patriots and such back in the days of the mighty Ron Paul blimp. In particular, about a tea party gathering in which they expected the blimp pilot to fly through a storm. I think these were the guys that the modern Tea Party has co-opted the identity from? There were certainly a lot of colonial cosplayers among them, if memory serves.

There's a good article about the origins of the Tea Party here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brendan-demelle/study-confirms-tea-party-_b_2663125.html

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Good to see what Mark Ames and Yasha Levine called out four years ago has been proven right, shame it got buried back when it all started.

I'm just finally glad there's irrefutable evidence that the Teaparty has more astroturf than a 60's football stadium and we can stop pretending that there's any independent thought. I know people are going to argue that some of the fat fucks they saw dressing like old dead guys weren't astroturfed but that's the same as calling a Sci-Fi convention or fanfiction an original idea.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It goes along with conservatives flabbergasted lampooning of anything "organic". :v:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

MrNemo posted:

the kinds of values Ghengis Khan would have thought was a little extreme.

Genghis Khan promoted religious tolerance and wealth redistribution. He was literally too liberal for the Tea Party. :v:

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I'm convinced at this point Bill Maher keeps having Ann Coulter on his show because he's trying to gently caress her. She's terrible, she isn't funny, she isn't even fun to make fun of.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
He already did, they are gently caress partners in trolldom.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

It actually restores some of my faith in the universe to know that those hate-mongers found each other. I imagine their love life is just a loop of that creepy scene from the end of Munich. :v:

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
There's a scene in the original World War Z novel where Maher and Coulter actually do gently caress.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Presumably he does not get the same sense of accomplishment loving Koko and Ebony and Fox, and the other ladies of the night he has hired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpGgQX9frSY

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

beatlegs posted:

The Tea Party, at least initially, was a deliberate attempt to re-brand the GOP after Dubya destroyed it. It quickly morphed into an ugly monster, but in the beginning it was an obvious attempt by the GOP and conservative media to plant into the public consciousness the idea that Bush was so ancient history! and look at these jingling keys over here! there is this new groundswell of "traditional values" a-comin' over that hill! why you could almost swear it was the GOP of old!

It was more of an attempt to re-brand it to attempt to appeal to the younger libertarian set that disliked Bush and the "traditional values" poo poo because they smoked pot and were atheists/agnostics.

I know a couple Ron Paul libertarians(i.e. they oppose war, support no governmental involvement in marriage, legalize drugs, let corporations own us as slaves, etc.) who ardently claim that the Tea Party was "less crazy" when it first started out. They liked it when it first came around but won't touch the label now. :shrug:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

MisterBadIdea posted:

There's a scene in the original World War Z novel where Maher and Coulter actually do gently caress.

Yeah, they are at that house on Long Island that's been made a fortress for the rich and famous as bate for a reality show, right? Brooks should go back and add a sentence like: "and that one actor who is always eating was just desperately trying to get his wife on the phone."

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ted Nugent would like the readers of World Net Daily to know that he's basically Rosa Parks, if she'd had a guitar.

quote:

Heavily armed with whatever media bully pulpit I can muster, I exercise my First Amendment rights like my hero Rosa Parks who refused to sit at the back of the bus when that numb-nut law existed. I’m Rosa Parks with a Gibson.

I don't recall there actually being a law preventing him from writing and performing Wang Dang Sweet Poontang, but there's probably should have been.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Not many people know that Rosa Parks kept her seat by making GBS threads her pants.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
My favorite part of the Montgomery bus boycott was when Rosa Parks came swinging in dressed like Tarzan and shot a flaming arrow at the bus. Then jammed out to Wango Tango.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

comes along bort posted:

My favorite part of the Montgomery bus boycott was when Rosa Parks came swinging in dressed like Tarzan and shot a flaming arrow at the bus. Then jammed out to Wango Tango.

Let's be fair: that would have been awesome. Well, except for the song choice.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

MisterBadIdea posted:

I always thought Brooks was alluding to Jon Stewart

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Nice Davis posted:

I always thought Brooks was alluding to Jon Stewart

I did too, because that's the first name Everyone thinks of when they hear "funny politics guy," but Maher makes more sense.

Wasn't "funny politics guy" said to be "going on about high-fructose corn syrup" or something? Is that a Bill Maher thing?

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 3, 2013

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Dr Christmas posted:

I did too, because that's the fist name I think of when I hear "funny politics guy," but Maher makes more sense.

Wasn't "funny politics guy" said to be "going on about high-fructose corn syrup" or something? Is that a Bill Maher thing?

World War Z posted:

There was the political comedy guy, you know, the one with the show...He said that, subconsciously, everyone already knew the truth during the "Great Denial", and that's why they wigged out so hard when the story was finally broken. It all actually kinda made sense, until he started spewing about high fructose corn syrup and the feminization of America.

I guess it was supposed to be Bill Maher after all.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Speaking of books, I just realized that Rush Limbaugh's kids' book has been out since earlier this week. I tried to find a hilarious dissection of it, but no dice. All I found were a million conservative blogs crowing about it and a peculiar number of positive reviews that were submitted on the very first day of release--and only half of them were verified as having purchased it (on Amazon).

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Speaking of books, I just realized that Rush Limbaugh's kids' book has been out since earlier this week. I tried to find a hilarious dissection of it, but no dice. All I found were a million conservative blogs crowing about it and a peculiar number of positive reviews that were submitted on the very first day of release--and only half of them were verified as having purchased it (on Amazon).

So many conservative books are faked onto bestseller lists and have the system gamed with phony slobbering reviews to create fake buzz. Sometimes they even make buying shitloads of their books part of some multi level marketing bullshit they try to rope their senile audience into.

Hell - Palin was buying up her own book with her PAC.

On that note - virtually the entire republican party if you really look at it is like one big haven for fraud and multi-level marketing scams. So many ads for these things on right wing radio/tv/blogs preying on their gullible and ignorant audience.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 3, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Spacedad posted:

So many conservative books are faked onto bestseller lists and have the system gamed with phony slobbering reviews to create fake buzz. Sometimes they even make buying shitloads of their books part of some multi level marketing bullshit they try to rope their senile audience into.

On that note - virtually the entire republican party if you really look at it is like one big haven for fraud and multi-level marketing scams. So many ads for these things on right wing radio/tv/blogs preying on their gullible and ignorant audience.
Scaife is the Godfather of this. He's everything the GOP claims Soros is, but actually is that. He supported the whole Regnery thing by spending heaps of money buying up copies of Regnery titles to get them to the top and it's never stopped.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Spacedad posted:

DARKIES ARE TRYING TO DESTROY YOUR COUNTRY, gently caress YOUR MOTHER, AND SELL DRUGS TO YOUR SON. ARE YOU GONNA LET THAT HAPPEN? GOTTA TAKE THIS COUNTRY BACK. More after these messages.

*Are you angry? Do you feel like the world just isn't the same anymore? For only 39.99 you can buy Doctor gently caress You's patented sugar pills to address all of your mental problems."

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Spacedad posted:

:spergin: incoming: As a tie-in with with ABC's TV show "Castle", Hyperion Books has published (to date) five real novels based on the fictional novels in the show; in universe of the show, Richard Castle is a bestselling author and writer of the "Nikki Heat" series, which are a fictionalized portrayal of his relationship with Beckett and the novels are based on the cases they've worked on.

So you've got a book by a fictional author [Richard Castle] about a fictional journalist [Jameson Rook] and a fictional detective [Nikki Heat], who are based on another fictional detective [Kate Beckett] and the fictional writer [Richard Castle] who wrote the book. Inception doesn't begin to cover it.

The point of this? All five of these novels made it to the top ten of the New York Times bestseller list, with the novels ranking at #6, #7, #1, #7, and #8 on the list, respectively. That should tell you all you need to know about the New York times bestseller list. Oh, and apparently, the books aren't half bad if you're a fan of Castle and/or mystery novels.:v:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 3, 2013

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
I recently did the drive from Baltimore to Pensacola, so I finally got to listen to the likes of rush, hannity, and levin over my 15 hour transit. I was in a state of wonder how they just feed off each other's lies and half-truths. I guess I just wasn't prepared for the rhetoric. But for two days, the Sesame Street word was "ideology," because they were all saying itwithhigh frequency.

rush pronounced it like IDE-ology and I thought he had coined some wierd word.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If only they had pronounced it like the Japanese surname Ide (ee-day).

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Spacedad posted:

Ignoring everything else, the type of commercials a certain channel runs is a very good insight to the kind of people that watch it. With FOX News, it's a legion of paranoid and gullible old people.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Blarghalt posted:

Ignoring everything else, the type of commercials a certain channel runs is a very good insight to the kind of people that watch it. With FOX News, it's a legion of paranoid and gullible old people.

In particular, those gold scams that keep running relentlessly.

I somehow get the feeling that the same elderly people falling for this crap wouldn't have fallen for it several decades earlier in their lives.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

My favorite thing is that they've adopted the exact language of scammy internet ads. Boost your social security payment by using the ONE WEIRD TRICK that OBAMA doesn't want you to know about!

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

ReidRansom posted:

My favorite thing is that they've adopted the exact language of scammy internet ads. Boost your social security payment by using the ONE WEIRD TRICK that OBAMA doesn't want you to know about!

The sad thing is when they are so obviously deceiving and set up a false ditchotomy, such as the socialsecurityfree one that states that Obama is decreAsing SS checks, then right after saying that the 2014 rate is a 1.4% increase.

Afterwards, they state how much SNAP has increased, like SS is related at all. It's just more of the us vs them mindset and "those damned poors!"

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Vriess posted:

rush pronounced it like IDE-ology and I thought he had coined some wierd word.

Wait, what's wrong with this, I think this is how I pronounce it :ohdear:

e: wait, no I don't, I read the word wrong originally.

Skeevy Mcgee
Feb 17, 2007

ashgromnies posted:

It was more of an attempt to re-brand it to attempt to appeal to the younger libertarian set that disliked Bush and the "traditional values" poo poo because they smoked pot and were atheists/agnostics.

I know a couple Ron Paul libertarians(i.e. they oppose war, support no governmental involvement in marriage, legalize drugs, let corporations own us as slaves, etc.) who ardently claim that the Tea Party was "less crazy" when it first started out. They liked it when it first came around but won't touch the label now. :shrug:

Yeah, I seem to remember reading some articles around the initial wave of Tea Party rallies about how the religious right felt left out due to the message being largely economic. Not long after that, Beck hosted the "Restoring Honer" rally, which I figured was an attempt to bridge the gap.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
There's always been a religious right/Dale Gribble/John Birch element to libertarians. If anything the upper middle class, yay business and weed half-baked 2AM dorm room philosopher types are the historical anomaly. The oldest of the latter group are almost entirely Gen Xers.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
When your economic warriors are too scared and lonely to call out religious nutcases and your religious nutcases have absolutely no interest in checking the work of your economic warriors who gives a poo poo who started the thing. You leave one out in the sun for a day and it starts growing the other.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Remember, the Chair of the Tea Party Caucus is Michelle Bachmann, who hates fa- I mean "advocates social causes" with the best/worst of them.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
So that story 60 minutes ran with that Benghazi 'witness' who was in fact found to be lying, I guess they're doubling down on it?

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/11/03/1252878/-60-Minutes-doubles-down-on-Benghazi-fibber

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I know Townhall is absolute garbage, but they just posted their obligatory MILENNIALS article and it reads like a loving parody of the Conservative mindset:

http://t.co/C4xLrLFtsK

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

bobservo posted:

I know Townhall is absolute garbage, but they just posted their obligatory MILENNIALS article and it reads like a loving parody of the Conservative mindset:

http://t.co/C4xLrLFtsK

That's a pretty decent sum up of the Republican Id at the moment. Liberalism caused every bad thing on the planet up to and including things being made up wholesale (no explanation attached of course), conservatism is the answer but too bad you spited it and now you must feel our wrath. We're taking our ball and going home, we don't even WANT your votes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You know, with websites called Town Hall and these little lynch mob get-togethers called "citezens grand jury," I would think these people were communists if I didn't know any better.