Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

drat, those are both really loving good. There's no wrong answer, but I'll say The Long Good Friday.

Done and done! Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but what the gently caress, maybe someone knows something I don't.

I want to go see Rocky Horror this weekend because, y'know, Halloween. Is there any way to find out what the popular theaters are? Last year at the theater I went to (the Newtown Theater, literally the oldest movie theater in the world, perfect atmosphere) it was me, my brother, and one random girl in the audience. No goddamn fun yelling in an empty theater, we yelled like twice and then realized how lame it was and just sat there, it sucked.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Are there subtitles in Berberian Sound Studio?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Frackie Robinson posted:

Are there subtitles in Berberian Sound Studio?

Yes.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

CapnAndy posted:

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but what the gently caress, maybe someone knows something I don't.

I want to go see Rocky Horror this weekend because, y'know, Halloween. Is there any way to find out what the popular theaters are? Last year at the theater I went to (the Newtown Theater, literally the oldest movie theater in the world, perfect atmosphere) it was me, my brother, and one random girl in the audience. No goddamn fun yelling in an empty theater, we yelled like twice and then realized how lame it was and just sat there, it sucked.

Maybe call the theaters and ask if they have many reservations already?

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Well, yes, I understand it's not useful to the work done in production and post-production phases, but screenwriters do use this when they're writing specs and when scripts are in development. They obviously don't indicate every cut in their script so when they do, and when they use terms like "smash cut", they're trying to emphasize the impact a transition should have on the audience (and to the reader of the script). Similarly, critics and people who write about film also use the term to indicate the different emotional impact of certain cuts (as scary ghost dog points out) because not all cuts have the same value and function to the audience.

I'm mainly taking issue with the "this is wrong, don't use it" attitude when there are quite a few people who do use it, and use it for a reason, especially since chances are the poster is not working in post.

Personally, I feel stuff like 'smash cut' comes off as less professional in a screenplay. Like, when I read that, I just feel like the writer saw Thelma Schoonmaker use a cut particularly well but doesn't know editing, so it becomes the mystical smash cut. Directing from the page is in and of itself frowned upon, and it's slier and more professional to write in a way that evokes a certain camera or editing technique without outright calling for it (e.g., ending a scene with O.S. dialogue from the next scene instead of stating that the scene will end on a J-cut). Not to mention writing that way reads waaaaaayyyyyy smoother and the average spec reader just ignores technical calls because that's not what they're grading. In most cases, a simple CUT TO: should be just as effective as SMASH CUT. If the writer has to say "the cut here will be emotionally effective!" without the simple CUT TO: doing that job for them, chances are they're ending their scene wrong.

This stuff isn't essential, and I don't think any producer cares about this level of detail. A good screenplay is a good screenplay, but like, I enjoy reading Harry Potter but I'll never not notice that J.K. Rowling's characters almost always 'say' things and rarely 'exclaim' or 'mutter' them.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Friedpundit posted:

Personally, I feel stuff like 'smash cut' comes off as less professional in a screenplay. Like, when I read that, I just feel like the writer saw Thelma Schoonmaker use a cut particularly well but doesn't know editing, so it becomes the mystical smash cut. Directing from the page is in and of itself frowned upon, and it's slier and more professional to write in a way that evokes a certain camera or editing technique without outright calling for it (e.g., ending a scene with O.S. dialogue from the next scene instead of stating that the scene will end on a J-cut). Not to mention writing that way reads waaaaaayyyyyy smoother and the average spec reader just ignores technical calls because that's not what they're grading. In most cases, a simple CUT TO: should be just as effective as SMASH CUT. If the writer has to say "the cut here will be emotionally effective!" without the simple CUT TO: doing that job for them, chances are they're ending their scene wrong.

This stuff isn't essential, and I don't think any producer cares about this level of detail. A good screenplay is a good screenplay, but like, I enjoy reading Harry Potter but I'll never not notice that J.K. Rowling's characters almost always 'say' things and rarely 'exclaim' or 'mutter' them.

I can recall a specific instance in Goblet of Fire when Ron Weasley ejaculates loudly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

scary ghost dog posted:

I can recall a specific instance in Goblet of Fire when Ron Weasley ejaculates loudly.

In Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes, Watson ejaculates 11 times. Holmes mentions Watson's "Ejaculations of wonder" being invaluable.

But I seriously doubt JK Rowling ever used the word ejaculate.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Skwirl posted:

In Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes, Watson ejaculates 11 times. Holmes mentions Watson's "Ejaculations of wonder" being invaluable.

But I seriously doubt JK Rowling ever used the word ejaculate.

I don't have the book handy so I can't scan the passage, but it's in Goblet of Fire, when Ron and Harry are sneaking around during the dance and they eavesdrop on Hagrid talking about being a half-giant to the French school headmistress. They duck behind a bush and Ron ejaculates loudly.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

"We’re not going to use magic?" Ron ejaculated loudly."

-Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, pg 242 US hardcover edition.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Almost a book question, but the film made me wonder as well:

Ender's Game. Are we supposed to believe that the crews on the ship didn't even flinch at self-sacrificial moves? I get that we're talking about soldiers who are trained to obey orders, but you'd have to think that someone in a leadership position (especially on the ship with the Big rear end Gun Ship) would panic and break formation/orders. Hell, battles in some eras were all about that.

I'll spoiler this analogy: I can tell a squad of Marines in SC2 to rush a highly fortified base, because they'll do it and shoot poo poo until they die. But I can't really do the same thing in Dawn of War because their morale will break and they'll scatter. Outside the drones explicitly described as such in the film, I think its reasonable that things would new closer to DoW than StarCraft.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

MisterBibs posted:

Almost a book question, but the film made me wonder as well:

Ender's Game. Are we supposed to believe that the crews on the ship didn't even flinch at self-sacrificial moves? I get that we're talking about soldiers who are trained to obey orders, but you'd have to think that someone in a leadership position (especially on the ship with the Big rear end Gun Ship) would panic and break formation/orders. Hell, battles in some eras were all about that.

I'll spoiler this analogy: I can tell a squad of Marines in SC2 to rush a highly fortified base, because they'll do it and shoot poo poo until they die. But I can't really do the same thing in Dawn of War because their morale will break and they'll scatter. Outside the drones explicitly described as such in the film, I think its reasonable that things would new closer to DoW than StarCraft.
Haven't seen the movie and it's been like a decade since I read the book, but those soldiers were on a suicide mission in the first place, right?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Would Ender's Game be worth seeing if I've had what I assume to be a fairly significant plot element spoiled for me - namely that the "simulations" are anything but and Ender is actually commanding real forces that he's sacrificing. Curious how much my enjoyment of the story might be diminished by it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

poptart_fairy posted:

Would Ender's Game be worth seeing if I've had what I assume to be a fairly significant plot element spoiled for me - namely that the "simulations" are anything but and Ender is actually commanding real forces that he's sacrificing. Curious how much my enjoyment of the story might be diminished by it.

While that's certainly a spoiler for the book, my understanding is that they reveal that early on in the movie. Hell the SA review mentioned it pretty quickly in the review, and I can't remember them ever spoiling a major twist before.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

poptart_fairy posted:

Even in the book, it's only a reveal to the sub-20 year old or a non-reader who isn't familiar with fiction conventions. I read it at 13 and was blown away by the twist, but most all of the people I've recommended it to as adults caught on; at some point, you're 20 pages away from the end of the book and say "Hey wait a minute, how the gently caress can this story be wrapped up with one chapter to go? Oh, wait a minute..."

I haven't seen the movie but I assume the same would hold true as the movie nears the 90 minute mark.

That said, I'd still recommend the book because it's a solid read and there's more to the story. It's as much about the psychology of the main character and the society in general as it is about the war. And it sets up the sequel, which is as different a book as it's possible for a sequel to be but also very good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hey, does anyone know what transfer this 2007 DVD of Halloween uses? Is it the Dean Cundey approved transfer from the 1999 DVD or the one with the weird color timing issues from the 2003 25th Anniversary DVD? I think its the former but I wanna be sure.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Hey, does anyone know what transfer this 2007 DVD of Halloween uses? Is it the Dean Cundey approved transfer from the 1999 DVD or the one with the weird color timing issues from the 2003 25th Anniversary DVD? I think its the former but I wanna be sure.

It's the '99 Cundey/THX transfer.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

It's the '99 Cundey/THX transfer.

Sweet, thanks! Without those otherworldly fall colors, what's the point?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
What is the real story of why Katie Holmes wasn't in The Dark Knight? The official reason is scheduling conflict, but considering her acting career there's no way in hell she's turning that movie down. I figure it's either her agent screwing up and asking for too much money or her being a bitch in the first movie or Tom Cruise meddling in her career for some dumb reason.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Skwirl posted:

While that's certainly a spoiler for the book, my understanding is that they reveal that early on in the movie. Hell the SA review mentioned it pretty quickly in the review, and I can't remember them ever spoiling a major twist before.

No, the movie plays it the same as the book (and is a fairly close adaptation overall). I think people were just guessing based on the trailers but trailers are trailers.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Schweinhund posted:

What is the real story of why Katie Holmes wasn't in The Dark Knight? The official reason is scheduling conflict, but considering her acting career there's no way in hell she's turning that movie down. I figure it's either her agent screwing up and asking for too much money or her being a bitch in the first movie or Tom Cruise meddling in her career for some dumb reason.

The rumour at the time was that she demanded a raise and was basically told to get hosed. I personally like Maggie Gyllenhall better as an actress, so it didn't bother me.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The rumour at the time was that she demanded a raise and was basically told to get hosed. I personally like Maggie Gyllenhall better as an actress, so it didn't bother me.

Wasn't that around the time of her marriage to Tom Cruise also? She also dropped her longtime manager at that point so I wouldn't be surprised if it was some combination of that and the scientology connections.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

hope and vaseline posted:

Wasn't that around the time of her marriage to Tom Cruise also? She also dropped her longtime manager at that point so I wouldn't be surprised if it was some combination of that and the scientology connections.

I think Batman Begins came out as the same time as the start of the relationship and on talk shows all she talked about was that not the movie, so they were pissed at her.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

I personally like Maggie Gyllenhall better as an actress, so it didn't bother me.

This a thousand times. I kind of doubt that anyone working on the movie was upset with the change. I could not take Katie Holmes seriously in Begins at all, and probably she would have made the whole "love triangle" aspect of Dark Knight completely laughable to me. I mean, this isn't really her fault but I would have just spent the whole movie referring to Batman and Harvey Dent as Pacey and Dawson.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Gonna watch The Raid and I almost-always watch foreign movies with subtitles, but never action or fast paced like how this looks. So subbed or dubbed?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
As far as I remember they don't talk much during the fights, just the lead up/aftermath. I watched it with subs just fine but then again I'm deaf so I'm kinda used to it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

rizuhbull posted:

Gonna watch The Raid and I almost-always watch foreign movies with subtitles, but never action or fast paced like how this looks. So subbed or dubbed?

Subs will be fine. Really, once you stat watching a few action flicks with subs you learn to read and watch the action at the same time.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

rizuhbull posted:

You could watch it in its native language without subtitles. The dialogue is totally unnecessary in the movie.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

scary ghost dog posted:

You could watch it in its native language without subtitles. The dialogue is totally unnecessary in the movie.

In general I agree with you but I think it helps to know why the tech lieutenant decides to help out the cop.

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

What piece is playing on the soundtrack during this awesome scene in Herzog's Nosferatu?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

space chandeliers posted:

What piece is playing on the soundtrack during this awesome scene in Herzog's Nosferatu?

It's the prelude from Wagner's Das Rheingold.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Daveski posted:

It's the prelude from Wagner's Das Rheingold.

Also used to very good effect in The New World.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Also used to very good effect in The New World.

And one of the Don Hertzfeldt shorts, but I forget which.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
In Django Unchained, why does the one Brittle brother have what appears to be bible pages stuck to his shirt? Was that a thing they did back in the day?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I just watched Drive and Only God Forgives and loved them. How does Refn's other work compare in terms of tone/mood?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yaws posted:

I just watched Drive and Only God Forgives and loved them. How does Refn's other work compare in terms of tone/mood?

I've enjoyed all of his movies that I've seen. If you liked Only God Forgives more, I'd go for Valhalla Rising, which is slower and more meditative. If you liked Drive more, I'd go for the Pusher trilogy, which is more gritty and naturalistic. Bronson kinda falls somewhere between the two styles, with a heaping helping of dark comedy. All are worth watching.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

In Django Unchained, why does the one Brittle brother have what appears to be bible pages stuck to his shirt? Was that a thing they did back in the day?

they were over his heart, right? I think they were using as a target.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Your Gay Uncle posted:

they were over his heart, right? I think they were using as a target.

He had a couple pages...one was definitely over his heart, and he gets shot in that spot by Django.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Last night in the UK, Beverly Hills Cop 3 and Jaws 3(D) were both on TV. It struck me that both were the 3rd in a trilogy* where the gimmick was to move the action to an amusement park. I struggled to think of one more film to complete a (not very good) triple bill. Any suggestions?

Criteria:

1. Must be the 3rd and final film in a series.
2. Must be set in an amusement park of some description (preferably with a chaos-in-paradise plot).
3. Previous films must not have been set in an amusement park (so Jurassic Park is out).

* I conveniently forgot that Jaws: The Revenge existed until writing this post which ruins 1 right away. This opens the doors to Final Destination 3 and Child's Play 3 (kinda, for the final showdown). Still interested to hear if there are any more out there as I find it to be a fun we're-out-of-ideas trope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_Ninjas:_High_Noon_at_Mega_Mountain

It's the fourth film but whatever.