Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

What power charger did the ipad 2 come with? 10W? need to know which to sell it with.

the iPhones still come with 5w chargers, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Hey all! Any recommendations for a protective iPad 2 Case? I'm a pretty clumsy guy, and having to take my cracked iPad in to the Apple store for a replacement made me realize I won't have AppleCare+ forever. There's one on Amazon that's like $6? And it seems to have good ratings? I don't know. Price range is somewhere from $0-50. :)

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.
New ipad air. As I'm typing, sometimes the onscreen keyboard just randomly changes to the numbers and symbols page mid-word. I've had an ipad before and this never happened. Defect?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

eddiewalker posted:

It looks like it would double the thickness of an Air.

And it doubled the thickness of my mini (and my 3) so in a relativistic sense it would still be much lighter and smaller than what I've had previously.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

What power charger did the ipad 2 come with? 10W? need to know which to sell it with.

the iPhones still come with 5w chargers, correct?

iPhones still ship with 5w adapters and yes, iPad 2 came with a 10w adapter.

Interlude posted:

New ipad air. As I'm typing, sometimes the onscreen keyboard just randomly changes to the numbers and symbols page mid-word. I've had an ipad before and this never happened. Defect?

Well, it has a thinner bezel. I'm not sure how you're typing but if you're holding it with your left and typing with your right, are you sure you aren't accidentally fat-fingering the key to change to numbers and symbols?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

kitten smoothie posted:

Looks like there is indeed just one model worldwide, and the only difference is Sprint or Verizon one is just on the respective CDMA whitelist. Meanwhile there's two different models of the original iPad Mini given the carrier/region.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/LTE/

Thanks for the information so far. Question, if I buy a T-mobile iPad Air how does Sprint or Verizon handle customers who want to switch?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

eric posted:

Seriously though spend the extra cash and get the Air. It's so much faster and better to hold it's worth it.
Alright, then. iPad Air it is!

But here's my next question- how much space is "enough"? The iPad wouldn't be my main computing device (I use a ThinkPad for mos tof my computing), but both my wife and I will be using the iPad for casual browsing, testing iOS apps I've made, that sort of thing. Would 32 GB be sufficient?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Almost certainly, especially since you don't mention loading any video.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Almost certainly, especially since you don't mention loading any video.
The only time I'd put video on it is when we're travelling and need some entertainment while waiting between flights.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 4, 2024

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

ebooks don't take any space. What are you emulating? If you mean like SNES games I think you can fit the entire library on one DVD.

In my experience the thing that takes up the most space are games.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

melon cat posted:

Would 32GB still be sufficient?
Very likely. A 32GB model will give you 27-28 GB of free space to fill up. Some games can be over 1 GB. Video depends, but you're probably talking about 1 GB/hr. Audio is generally somewhere around 200 songs/GB, and like Mu said ebooks are generally squat. You can browse the App Store if you want to see the size of various apps.

For info, right now my iPad has 989 photos, 173 apps (including Bastion at 1.2 GB and GarageBand at 800 MB), 92 ebooks, 2 songs! and about a dozen .pdfs on it (user manuals, mostly) and it says "16.2 GB used".

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.
Boring question here: How do you keep your iPad screen clean? And how do you clean it when it gets finger marks all over it?

I've been obsessively washing my hands before touching it, but it's still covered in finger marks already.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I only find the smudges noticeable/annoying when watching films or shows on the iPad, otherwise for browsing its a non issue.

I use a microfiber cloth to rub the smudges off. Never use window cleaner or stuff like that as it removes the oleophobic coating on the screen.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

kitten smoothie posted:

Looks like there is indeed just one model worldwide, and the only difference is Sprint or Verizon one is just on the respective CDMA whitelist. Meanwhile there's two different models of the original iPad Mini given the carrier/region.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/LTE/

And at least in theory, Verizon should have dropped the concept of a whitelist for LTE due to the open access rules they accepted as part of the 700MHz auction. Think Verizon's still figuring out how it all works since they messed it up with the Nexus 7 tablet, but they didn't sell that and they do sell the iPad, so...

melon cat posted:

The only time I'd put video on it is when we're travelling and need some entertainment while waiting between flights. I'd also use it as an emulating device and ebook reader for when we're on the road, commuting, etc. Would 32GB still be sufficient?

\/Mainly SNES/PSX games.

Are you sure the emulators you want exist? I thought the Apple App Store rules prohibited emulators and interpretive languages, and there isn't a jailbreak for iOS 7 yet to let you use any other App Stores that I'm aware of. They do sneak on the official App Store occasionally hidden inside another app, but Apple pulls them when they find out.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
There's a way to get emulators on non-jail broken devices through a website. Someone posted about it in one of the iPhone threads recently.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

There's a way to get emulators on non-jail broken devices through a website. Someone posted about it in one of the iPhone threads recently.

Care to share here?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No. 6 posted:

Thanks for the information so far. Question, if I buy a T-mobile iPad Air how does Sprint or Verizon handle customers who want to switch?
I'm not really sure what you're asking. If you are asking if you can use a T-Mobile iPad Air on Sprint or Verizon, I wouldn't put any money on it at this point. Verizon technically has to offer open access to their LTE network, but in practice, it hasn't worked out so well. Sprint has no such requirement and doesn't have to allow any devices on they don't want to.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Verizon ipad is the "best" because you get the Verizon sim if you're ever going to use it and should be white listed. You can buy an att or tmobile sim and they work perfectly fine.

Took me two minutes to swap the verizon card for a tmobile card and get it setup.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Whitefish posted:

I've been obsessively washing my hands before touching it, but it's still covered in finger marks already.

You're being way too obsessive. It's a thing you touch with your fingers, so it's going to get fingerprints all over it. Keep a microfiber cloth handy and wipe it off in the morning or before you go to bed, because otherwise you're going to go nuts. If it bothers you that much, then you might want to consider getting a screen protector since they tend to show fingerprints less at the cost of feeling a lot shittier than the bare glass.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Paradoxish posted:

You're being way too obsessive. It's a thing you touch with your fingers, so it's going to get fingerprints all over it. Keep a microfiber cloth handy and wipe it off in the morning or before you go to bed, because otherwise you're going to go nuts. If it bothers you that much, then you might want to consider getting a screen protector since they tend to show fingerprints less at the cost of feeling a lot shittier than the bare glass.

Or get a glass screen protector because why the gently caress not!

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 4, 2013

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I'd be curious too... I'm guessing it involves having a developer account and compiling the binaries yourself or resigning existing IPA files.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Vinlaen posted:

I'd be curious too... I'm guessing it involves having a developer account and compiling the binaries yourself or resigning existing IPA files.

Seems to work. You can only have one installed at a time, and I had to roll back the clock for installation, but after it was done the clock didn't matter.

http://emulatorsforios2.weebly.com/emulator-downloads.html

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Shmoogy posted:

Verizon ipad is the "best" because you get the Verizon sim if you're ever going to use it and should be white listed. You can buy an att or tmobile sim and they work perfectly fine.

Took me two minutes to swap the verizon card for a tmobile card and get it setup.

Yeah, do this. It does possibly rule out Sprint as an option for you, because they are under no obligation to let you onto their special snowflake network. But using Sprint would be like attaching a 56k modem to your iPad so it was never really an option anyway.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Man none of the big quality case makers have an air case out yet. :/

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

Seems to work. You can only have one installed at a time, and I had to roll back the clock for installation, but after it was done the clock didn't matter.

http://emulatorsforios2.weebly.com/emulator-downloads.html

Thanks for the link, strange as it downloads the emulator and then re-installs everytime I hit the icon.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
So uh hey guys. What's the best method for me to back up data on jailbroken ipads and transfer them to a non-jailbroken ipad?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

averox posted:

So uh hey guys. What's the best method for me to back up data on jailbroken ipads and transfer them to a non-jailbroken ipad?

iCloud.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
This reminds me...as someone who has to deal with a flood of iPad cases on a regular basis, a little advice: especially for the Air, get a folio case with a handstrap. Being able to hold an iPad in one hand can be extraordinarily useful if you're cooking, at work, or traveling. When I was in Europe last year I was able to whip out my iPad occasionally while walking to figure out where I was and where I needed to be. (I was using offline apps, incidentally, though you still need a cellular iPad to get GPS).

The folio part is just about a more efficient way of protecting both the screen and the back while getting stand functions. If you want to go for the gold, you can try and find a case with a stylus loop. Even if you don't need a stylus, it's still a good place to stick a pen.

Companies like Snugg and Marware are a good place to start when you're shopping, but there are others.

Nihiliste fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 4, 2013

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

TraderStav posted:

Thanks for the link, strange as it downloads the emulator and then re-installs everytime I hit the icon.

That's the date thing mentioned on that page. Turn off automatic time setting and roll your clock back, let it install, then turn auto time back on.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
I've been looking for a super lightweight case for the iPad mini, with magnet cover for auto on/off.

Perhaps instead of looking for lighter weight I should look for better ergonomics. I tend to use it in landscape mode with the camera on the left. Can anyone recommend a case with hand strap that would work well in this configuration?

Edit: for clarity I hold the left edge and it tends to cause hand cramping.

Veinless fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 4, 2013

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

I should have specified for apps that don't use iCloud. Game saves and other app data. I think iExplorer can do that except isn't the current version some pay thing now?

Or are you clock.app-ing me?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Veinless posted:

I've been looking for a super lightweight case for the iPad mini, with magnet cover for auto on/off.

Perhaps instead of looking for lighter weigh I should look for better ergonomics. I tend to use it in landscape mode with the camera on the left. Can anyone recommend a case with hand strap that would work well in this configuration?

The Joy Factory Smartsuit is consistently well-reviewed.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation

eddiewalker posted:

The Joy Factory Smartsuit is consistently well-reviewed.

The Smartsuit and the Lioncase are two that I was considering due to their low weight. Good to hear.

I'm currently using a Devicewear Ridge but it adds 200g to the 300g device.

Veinless fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 4, 2013

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
So apparently the new 200MB "free" data plans on T-Mobile aren't quite so free if you're financing via T-Mobile, according to this article :

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/04...-finance-ipads/

I guess someone at CNET discovered this.

"T-Mobile clarified to CNET that new customers who want to take advantage of T-Mobile's no-money-down plan are required to sign up for a $20-a-month plan.

Unlike the On Demand plan, which was simply a fee for staying on T-Mobile's network, the $20 plan does provide for an additional 500MB of data at its 4G LTE speed. The 200MB of data is "free," but doesn't kick in until after you sign up.

Existing T-Mobile customers with a phone plan can access the 200MB of free data without signing up for additional plans. New customers who paid full price for their iPad Air or any other tablet will be able to get the 200MB data plan for free. Or customers can bring in their own T-Mobile-compatible tablets."

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 4, 2013

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Still sounds like free data, they just aren't doing no-interest financing for non-paying customers?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

eddiewalker posted:

Still sounds like free data, they just aren't doing no-interest financing for non-paying customers?

The issue really is with the wording T-Mobile has used to advertise everything. But that's a good reason to read the contract terms, etc.

Hendrik
Feb 5, 2009

Whitefish posted:

Boring question here: How do you keep your iPad screen clean? And how do you clean it when it gets finger marks all over it?

You can turn up the brightness and then the smudges will then only be visible in dark areas (in movies most likely). If wiping the iPad with your sleeve doesn't help then you could use alcohol wipes, these are very effective. However, as soon as you start using it again the fingerprints will reappear. Washing your hands constantly will not help because of their natural oiliness. If anything, your hands will feel dry and uncomfortable after constant washing.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

averox posted:

I should have specified for apps that don't use iCloud. Game saves and other app data. I think iExplorer can do that except isn't the current version some pay thing now?

Or are you clock.app-ing me?

iCloud backups are different from iCloud documents and data saves. They're just the cloud version of iTunes backups, which are also valid in your case.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

mAlfunkti0n posted:

So apparently the new 200MB "free" data plans on T-Mobile aren't quite so free if you're financing via T-Mobile, according to this article :

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/04...-finance-ipads/

I guess someone at CNET discovered this.

"T-Mobile clarified to CNET that new customers who want to take advantage of T-Mobile's no-money-down plan are required to sign up for a $20-a-month plan.

Unlike the On Demand plan, which was simply a fee for staying on T-Mobile's network, the $20 plan does provide for an additional 500MB of data at its 4G LTE speed. The 200MB of data is "free," but doesn't kick in until after you sign up.

Existing T-Mobile customers with a phone plan can access the 200MB of free data without signing up for additional plans. New customers who paid full price for their iPad Air or any other tablet will be able to get the 200MB data plan for free. Or customers can bring in their own T-Mobile-compatible tablets."

I posted about this yesterday as I was in the store and spent two hours trying to get my iPad purchased and online with the 200mb. I showed them the tweet from their CEO saying something like "NO STRINGS, EVERYONE GETS 200MB". I ended up just paying for the whole thing up front and self-financed it but it still took 3 purchases and returns to get it right because they kept loving up the transaction, using the same sim, etc... Was a real mess. They put me off when they said that the news is misleading despite their very clear message that their CEO has said.

Whatever, I have my iPad with 200mb, but can see how this would put off some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
My mom has finally decided that she's had enough of her iPad 1 so today she has received her iPad Air and already she loves it! Granted I'm showing her all the stuff she's missed like iOS 7 and apps that load in under 2 minutes but she is certainly enjoying the surprisingly light little thing.

However, she of course wants a case for it so the question is which case? She had the official iPad 1 case for her old iPad so I was thinking of getting a Smart Case or I might wait until there are more 3rd party cases. All I wanted to know is what is the 'goon approved' case of choice? She won't really want a keyboard attachment, just something that will cover the whole of the iPad.

Also I'm jealous now and I want to upgrade my perfectly fine iPad 2! :smith:

Also, also, I keep making a habit of starting new pages!