Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
ERR sounds to me like the SD card is on its way out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Phanatic posted:

ERR sounds to me like the SD card is on its way out.

Yeah my D200 does this and it is definitely the CF card.

If that DF is autofocus I might end up with one eventually. I guess I will keep my nikon gear for now and maybe get a d7000 to replace my d200 in the mean time. All my lenses are full frame at the moment except the 35mm 1.8

I think I might get the fuji x100 for times I don't want to deal with carrying a bunch of equipment around.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Unless you are both ultravain and loaded, you'll probably be better off with a D610. Last time I saw a pricing info, it said $3,3k with a 50.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Unless you are both ultravain and loaded, you'll probably be better off with a D610. Last time I saw a pricing info, it said $3,3k with a 50.

Yeah it will be a long time from now. My. Upgrade path will probably look like d7000 > d600 > DF

But d7000 + the ultra wide I want is $900 when I can probably hold out and get a d600 for 1300 in not to long. So maybe I should save for that and sell my d200 + 35mm for 400ish to go towards it.

I have a 19-35mm, 50mm 1.8, and 80-200 2.8. So already a decent FF lens kit.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200979606851

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

copen posted:

Yeah my D200 does this and it is definitely the CF card.

Well good that makes me feel a little better!

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

BonoMan posted:

My D600 was out on a shoot the other day and started producing an ERR error message on the screen and refusing to work. Eventually just pressing the shutter button a few times got it to work again. It's already shipping out to Nikon today to get it's stupid sensor cleaned and I've asked them to take a look at that too, but of course there's no obvious signs of anything.

Is that likely just shutter malfunctions?

What lens were you using?

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Anyone who has the mb d11 grip for the d7000 how do you find it? I'm tempted to ask for it for Christmas. I can imagine it feeling nice just for general shooting let alone doing portrait stuff.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

simosimo posted:

Anyone who has the mb d11 grip for the d7000 how do you find it? I'm tempted to ask for it for Christmas. I can imagine it feeling nice just for general shooting let alone doing portrait stuff.
I liked shooting with it and I hate carrying it. I means you need to either pack the body without a lens (or grip), or carry a huge loving bag.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Fart Amplifier posted:

What lens were you using?

Nikkor 24/2.8 AF D

edit: Actually it may have been my 70-210 zoom. The camera guy that used it isn't sure.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 1, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I had the same thing happen to me while using the 35 f2 D lens. Took me forever to figure out that a shutter press would fix it.

Worst part was, it happened while recording video and it didn't even finish the recording, so I had to immediately reshoot with my backup Canon Rebel.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Regarding ERR messages, I was shooting an event the other week and towards the end of the night my D800 threw up ERR on the LCD and refused to do anything. I'd been shooting video for about 4 hours, could it have been an overheating issue? After calling it quits and just enjoying the rest of the night, went outside about an hour and a half later and after about 15 minutes in the cold air it was up and running again. I just hope it isn't a recurring issue and/or caused damage to the sensor :ohdear:

fe; lens was the new Sigma 35mm 1.4

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Creepy Goat posted:

I'd been shooting video for about 4 hours

:stare:

Yeah that could be it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I've done that before though and it was fine.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
I should say that it wasn't continuous, mainly <3 minute takes with 1-2 minute gaps in between. But I guess having the shutter open for live-view for four hours could be the main culprit, I just wondered if it could cause major damage as I do long shoots quite often.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I'm looking to get a wide angle zoom lens, like the Nikon 12-24. But, it's really expensive...what are alternatives I can look at?

This is for a D7000.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
the 12-24mm Tokina f/4 can be had for 300 dollars on KEH, It is a good lens with some draw backs. If you want great IQ then the 11-16mm Tokina f/2.8 is great but the 16mm is kind of limiting and means you need to carry the kit lens or something as well to cover that range. It is also about 500. The sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 is also a good option that goes a lot wider and can be had for 325ish.

The new 12-28mm Tokina f/4 is better than the old and has a AF-S motor (or whatever Tokina calls it) but is 500ish used.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

copen posted:

the 12-24mm Tokina f/4 can be had for 300 dollars on KEH, It is a good lens with some draw backs. If you want great IQ then the 11-16mm Tokina f/2.8 is great but the 16mm is kind of limiting and means you need to carry the kit lens or something as well to cover that range. It is also about 500. The sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 is also a good option that goes a lot wider and can be had for 325ish.

The new 12-28mm Tokina f/4 is better than the old and has a AF-S motor (or whatever Tokina calls it) but is 500ish used.

Ah great, thanks for that!

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
My friend is wanting a camera for filming inside for his business.

There's 3 main things he wants
-external mic support
-shoots video well
-under $1000 Australian

I know what canon offers, but is Nikon better for entry level video?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

the_lion posted:

My friend is wanting a camera for filming inside for his business.

There's 3 main things he wants
-external mic support
-shoots video well
-under $1000 Australian

I know what canon offers, but is Nikon better for entry level video?

Take a look at Panasonic's poo poo too (GH/GF/GL bodies).

EDIT: Especially used. I have a GH1 (not that I'm recommending that specific body, it's getting a bit old) that shoots full HD video, and has a jack for an external mic. Those are going for like under $200 on eBay.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 2, 2013

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

SpoopyMonkey posted:

Take a look at Panasonic's poo poo too (GH/GF/GL bodies).

EDIT: Especially used. I have a GH1 (not that I'm recommending that specific body, it's getting a bit old) that shoots full HD video, and has a jack for an external mic. Those are going for like under $200 on eBay.

Ah, brilliant! Had not considered this. Will pass that on.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

toggle posted:

I'm looking to get a wide angle zoom lens, like the Nikon 12-24. But, it's really expensive...what are alternatives I can look at?

This is for a D7000.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3125105&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=157#post418220954

will do $400 shipped in US

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

This is a great DX lens.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Nikon DF photos :barf:

The black isn't so bad, but really, Nikon's contemporary design language is much nicer than this. I am reminded of:

Jimmy Thief
Nov 5, 2002

by toby
Nikon Rumors is down. :f5:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Jimmy Thief posted:

Nikon Rumors is down. :f5:

It's here too. Top controls look great.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
WTF, it doesn't look like a FM2n, it looks like a late gen film body, like a Pentax ZX-5n. Boo!

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Reminds me of an FG.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Still too many buttons but I WANT.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
I think the black looks amazing, the silver looks like the worst excesses of the 80s. Glue-on faux leather on the sides of the viewfinder for some reason?

Very glad for the screw-in shutter release. Is that green dot a video record button? Still looking forward to hear what makes this all hybrid-y, and what manual focus features it might have.

Edit: Further thoughts: If this thing does indeed have the rumored D4 16mpix sensor, I'm going to have a hard time leaving my d800 for it. I've fallen in love with obscene resolution and oodles of dynamic range.

thetzar fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 4, 2013

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
I kinda like the silver and black to be honest. also the old style screw in shutter release is great. Should show this to my grandfather but he might ask me to give his lenses back if I do.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

thetzar posted:

Is that green dot a video record button?

No video capability apparently.

This thing is going to look so stupid with a battery grip.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
I think it looks pretty cool.

Mightaswell posted:

Still too many buttons but I WANT.

Hah, I'd love to see a "pure photography" body with just ISO, aperture, and shutter speed dials. Only shoots RAW. No menus, no options, no LCD. You can find out how your shots came out when you get home like we did in the olden days, you snot-nosed little punks. Get the gently caress off my lawn with your "white balance settings" and your "auto exposure bracketing". *shakes fist*

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I like the old school film speed dial, but holy crap is that thing a giant clusterfuck of dials and buttons :psyduck:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I think it looks pretty cool.

Hah, I'd love to see a "pure photography" body with just ISO, aperture, and shutter speed dials. Only shoots RAW. No menus, no options, no LCD. You can find out how your shots came out when you get home like we did in the olden days, you snot-nosed little punks. Get the gently caress off my lawn with your "white balance settings" and your "auto exposure bracketing". *shakes fist*

Or just a D4 sensor on one of the old large format cameras complete with the hood.

Jimmy Thief
Nov 5, 2002

by toby
It kinda looks like a chubby FE.

edit: At least the frontal view.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

thetzar posted:

Is that green dot a video record button?

If it's the same as the D7000, then the green dot marks one of the two buttons you can hold down to restore the camera's default settings.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Three thousand dollars.

Jimmy Thief
Nov 5, 2002

by toby

evil_bunnY posted:

Three thousand dollars.

Is this confirmed? Because as cool as it looks that could buy a lot of good used glass to go with my current body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I wish they would leak the only thing I have cared about since I heard it's full frame, the price. Only two more days, right?