Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

Although it IS really loving weird and gross how an adult woman gets the hots for 14 year old Judau.

Its the Newtype hots though, and those have been shown to be completely irrational and hosed up even when they aren't an adult woman and a teenage boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Caros posted:

Its the Newtype hots though, and those have been shown to be completely irrational and hosed up even when they aren't an adult woman and a teenage boy.

Yeah, the Newtype hots tends to be really loving weird most of the time (hello crazy as all gently caress Four Murasame). I love Tomino and think he's awesome when it comes to a lot of stuff, but when it comes to writing romance he's probably only slightly above George Lucas.

Of course, while Haman and Judau is creepy and weird, it's not like it isn't something that doesn't happen in real life - you do have female teachers that bang their students every once and a while. ZZ also had some uh... very weird scenes with Elpeo Ple, too. Man, you know, come to think of it, ZZ is a loving creepy rear end show. You think ZZ is the funny, happy Gundam show, but jeez, that stuff really kinda bothers me and makes me uncomfortable.

You know, come to think of it, I'm not sure how much I like Haman now.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Haman wasn't really interested in Judau romantically though. Don't forget that the first time she senses him, she thinks he's Char! After that she's mostly just interested in getting him to join her, since Judau is like the strongest newtype ever and for a while doesn't have a real reason to fight Zeon. At the very end she doesn't confess her undying love or anything like that, she just says she's glad to have met someone as positive as Judau during the most cynical part of her life.

ZZ was a pretty weird show though, no doubt about that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, the Newtype hots tends to be really loving weird most of the time (hello crazy as all gently caress Four Murasame). I love Tomino and think he's awesome when it comes to a lot of stuff, but when it comes to writing romance he's probably only slightly above George Lucas.

Of course, while Haman and Judau is creepy and weird, it's not like it isn't something that doesn't happen in real life - you do have female teachers that bang their students every once and a while. ZZ also had some uh... very weird scenes with Elpeo Ple, too. Man, you know, come to think of it, ZZ is a loving creepy rear end show. You think ZZ is the funny, happy Gundam show, but jeez, that stuff really kinda bothers me and makes me uncomfortable.

You know, come to think of it, I'm not sure how much I like Haman now.

ZZ was funny, but not really happy. It pushes the same bleak war-is-hell message as the rest of the UC, just in a slightly different way. It charts the slow descent into hell of a bunch of happy-go-lucky teenagers, dismantling their innocence and have-a-go optimism until it ends with some of them dead, most of them traumatised, and all of them convinced that the Earth Sphere is beyond saving. There's a glimmer of hope at the end with Judau's reunion with Leina, but it's not a hope that the current world order can sustain, and so Judau buggers off to Jupiter to seek pastures new.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Yeah, strictly platonic.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ZZ also has some rather questionable subs so that kinda skews some things a little. If anyone has been watching the official Daisuki stream, it turns out that the old fansubs resorted to complete guesses at times, if not making things up that sound like they fit the scene.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

I've never seen more that a couple episodes of Victory (and remember being really loving confused by the first episode)
To be fair, that one isn't Tomino's fault. The first episode was originally meant to be the fourth episode, with three episodes of build-up before Uso actually got in the Gundam (think Eureka Seven), but the marketing team was like 'woaaahhh, you think we can have a gundam show without gundam? Get that kid in the death machine post-haste!' and he had to change things around last-minute.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Endorph posted:

To be fair, that one isn't Tomino's fault. The first episode was originally meant to be the fourth episode, with three episodes of build-up before Uso actually got in the Gundam (think Eureka Seven), but the marketing team was like 'woaaahhh, you think we can have a gundam show without gundam? Get that kid in the death machine post-haste!' and he had to change things around last-minute.

I watched the first couple episodes of Victory Gundam not too long ago, and I seriously thought for a second that maybe the filenames were labeled incorrectly and maybe I should find a different torrent. But no, that was actually the first episode they aired.

I really do want to finish Victory at some point as it's the only UC show I haven't finished even though Tomino himself says it sucks along with everybody else. UC Gundam is my favorite Gundam. G Gundam and Wing are the only alternate universe shows I've seen all the way through though, so maybe I should tackle Turn-A, X and 00 before Victory so I can get out of my little UC bubble.

I don't think I'm ever going to be able to finish SEED, SEED Destiny or AGE, though. I soldiered through ZZ because I wanted to see what happened in-between Zeta and CCA\Unicorn, but I think you would have to strap me to a chair with my eyeballs held open to get me to watch SEED Destiny.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

I watched the first couple episodes of Victory Gundam not too long ago, and I seriously thought for a second that maybe the filenames were labeled incorrectly and maybe I should find a different torrent. But no, that was actually the first episode they aired.

I really do want to finish Victory at some point as it's the only UC show I haven't finished even though Tomino himself says it sucks along with everybody else. UC Gundam is my favorite Gundam. G Gundam and Wing are the only alternate universe shows I've seen all the way through though, so maybe I should tackle Turn-A, X and 00 before Victory so I can get out of my little UC bubble.

I don't think I'm ever going to be able to finish SEED, SEED Destiny or AGE, though. I soldiered through ZZ because I wanted to see what happened in-between Zeta and CCA\Unicorn, but I think you would have to strap me to a chair with my eyeballs held open to get me to watch SEED Destiny.

Holding off on Turn A until you watch Victory? Not a wise move, man.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Holding off on Turn A until you watch Victory? Not a wise move, man.

Yeah, I think I'm going to do Turn-A next. I just kinda figured if I saved it for last, I might appreciate all the flashbacks and stuff more.

I'm constantly told it's good, and I actually really like the look of the Turn-A and the other weird Mobile Suits from it.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
I still haven't seen Turn A. I need to get on that.

Also, more Gundam Build Fighters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Watch Turn-A Gundam. It has the best characters in the series, amazing animation and art direction, the only A Char who steps out of Char's shadow to become their own memorable character, and CENTURY COLOR MILLION COLOR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cMO96Zuuuc

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I like to think Rinko does this all the time to get a rise out of Sei.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

/\/\ This is amazing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That actually does raise the question of whether or not the Plotconvenience Particles work on non-Gundam figures.

Like, I'm sure the show will never answer that question for obvious reason, but hypothetically could some dude just buy one of those gigantic Mazinger figures and crush everyone else beneath his heel? Do they work on non-mecha figurines? Are there two dudes out there finally answering the Goku vs Superman question?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Given it worked on the metal barrel Sei put on his rifle and the plaplate he used to reinforce his shield, which I think is just polystyrene, yeah, why not.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Endorph posted:

That actually does raise the question of whether or not the Plotconvenience Particles work on non-Gundam figures.

Like, I'm sure the show will never answer that question for obvious reason, but hypothetically could some dude just buy one of those gigantic Mazinger figures and crush everyone else beneath his heel? Do they work on non-mecha figurines? Are there two dudes out there finally answering the Goku vs Superman question?

I doubt it'd make any real difference, since it's more about the quality of construction and piloting skill according to the show than the supposed innate abilities of the unit. It'd basically just be another model.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The correct answer is that this is a Sunrise show, and therefore non-Gundam related forms of entertainment do not exist.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
You should definitely watch Victory before Turn A because you'll want something to wash the bad taste out of your mouth.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Level Slide posted:

I like to think Rinko does this all the time to get a rise out of Sei.

VOTOMS needs a G Gundam, Build Fighters style out of continuity wacky show.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Maybe Chirico can finally find happiness in such a show. Not that I've seen the worst of his troubles anyways since I never bothered with any of the OVAs after the tv series. I would like to see more Coconna though. She was such a fun character. I swear they used less frames to animate some of her movements than other characters as well, because she appeared to just kind of flit around rather suddenly compared to the rest of the cast a lot of the time in a way that I always thought was quite charming. I wonder if we'll see shout out's to other shows in Build Fighters? I know they couldn't, and wouldn't want to have models of other shows directly - but maybe they'd have a Leo red shoulder custom or something like that.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Endorph posted:

Are there two dudes out there finally answering the Goku vs Superman question?

Entirely possible, I mean there is a MG Goku out there now.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Meanwhile in the real life Gunpla world tournament, Thailand's winner just got chosen.

I'm honestly curious if this show will feature characters from all the IRL participating countries. Sure it'll be a while off since we're still in the qualifying prelims, but it'd be really interesting to see what would essentially be a modern day G Gundam.

EDIT: I thought nothing could beat the Zaku Dendrobium in Builders.

I was wrong.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 3, 2013

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Zeo-Shining-mer

I hope something like that shows up in the show in the later stages of tournament

Qubeley Papillion is basically Detonator Orgun+Qubeley, so it would fit right in.

TNG fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 3, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arc Zaku.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TNG posted:

Zeo-Shining-mer

I hope something like that shows up in the show in the later stages of tournament

Qubeley Papillion is basically Detonator Orgun+Qubeley, so it would fit right in.

We're getting a Qubeley variant in a major-character role? Sweet.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

tsob posted:

Maybe Chirico can finally find happiness in such a show. Not that I've seen the worst of his troubles anyways since I never bothered with any of the OVAs after the tv series. I would like to see more Coconna though.
Well, if you ever want to check them out, the Big Battle and Phantom Chapter OVAs (or perhaps Phantom Arc, I've seen both names) feature Coconna and friends. Big Battle specifically takes place during the one-year gap in the last episode. I hope I'm not misinforming you, the OVAs kind of blurred together as I was going through them.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Episode 5 is out!

One thing I've really been appreciating about this show is that it they know they have a goofy concept so they just roll with it.

Not only did they acknowledge that Sei has been attracting weird people, but that imaginary fight was hilarious as hell to watch. It's like two kids on a playground endlessly one-upping each other while playing pretend. Also, seeing Sei/Reiji and Mao dressed as Kira and Garrod was a pretty neat visual gag.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Srice posted:

Episode 5 is out!

One thing I've really been appreciating about this show is that it they know they have a goofy concept so they just roll with it.

Not only did they acknowledge that Sei has been attracting weird people, but that imaginary fight was hilarious as hell to watch. It's like two kids on a playground endlessly one-upping each other while playing pretend. Also, seeing Sei/Reiji and Mao dressed as Kira and Garrod was a pretty neat visual gag.

I thought that episode 4 was a little bit of a flop in terms of visuals and just over all energy, but this episode confirms that it was really only because it was more or less a filler episode. This one is back true to form, easily one of the best they've done, with wonderful appearances by Ramba Ral and the new rival character.

Also Gunpla martial arts school? Seriously, the gently caress. They failed so hard by not making Mao pilot the Shining Gundam

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Gundam Build Fighters - The Shinkyo Gunpla School, OUR GUNPLA ARE BURNING RED!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
This show has so many fun stuff it's almost impossible to keep track. Victory Gundam, the PUA's best friend. The plastic bag rolling by. The entire imaginary battle. That poor Physalis.

Next episode's preview is Sei's mother channeling Murrue Ramius.

I guess Tatsuya is joining some bad guy faction?

Best of all, the overall positivity is really charming me.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh my god this episode was perfect. Not a single bad moment, and the Gundam X Maou is just as amazing as I thought it would be. And good for Sazaki, he gets a rematch. :unsmith:

Pretty much my only complaint I guess would be Mao's VA. Yeah, yeah, women tend to voice kids but sheesh. Maybe the thread title should be changed to

quote:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Gundam Build Fighters - Actually He's A Guy

EDIT: Pixiv is lightning fast.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 4, 2013

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Seeing the Butler Gundam fighting Devil Satan Gundam on the monitor in the back of the hall was just so great. :allears:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Srice posted:

If I didn't know better I'd say that's a somewhat subtle Akibaranger reference. Damned if I wasn't tempted to shout "Grand Delusion" when they started that.

Also seems someone finally made piece of fanart I've been waiting for. :3:
Now hurry up with that AGE-Titus HERO(man) custom already, some person.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I like that Mao said China was Sei's girlfriend and instead of them both going cartoonishly red and yelling IT'S NOT LIKE THAT they both just sorta blushed and moved on. Thanks for not insulting our intelligence, Gundam Build Fighters.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

I like that Mao said China was Sei's girlfriend and instead of them both going cartoonishly red and yelling IT'S NOT LIKE THAT they both just sorta blushed and moved on. Thanks for not insulting our intelligence, Gundam Build Fighters.

Yeah I was really happy with how cool they were about that :unsmith:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Just saw episode 5.

This is no best mecha collection boy, no best mecha collection!

Italian guy builds gunpla and gives them to girls in an attempt to get laid.

Imagination battle.

Ramba Ral suddenly appears in their loving house out of nowhere.

Build Fighters is the best Gundam series since Turn A.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'm ready to find out Reiji is from Byston Well and gritty war is hell part of the show to start.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I nearly died laughing a few times in that episode, especially the scenes already mentioned several times of the waiter giving the Gunpla instead of a drink along with Ramba's hand suddenly appearing in the middle of the imagination battle. Both kept me laughing for a minute or two easily. Really loving this series, and it may even end up surpassing G in ridiculous Gundam show - though it's yet to beome clear whether they'll add any depth to the show's charming fun. I also love that there's already competing schools of Gunpla with 80 year masters passing on their skills, rivalries and specific techniques despite Gunpla battling being only 10 years old. Gunpla itself can't be more than what...35 years old or something, dependent on how quickly it was developed following the original show. This show is ridiculous in all the best ways and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
I want a School of the Undefeated of the East and a Master Asia parallel running around like Ral.

• Locked thread