Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Engineer goes to a brand new client's site to perform a P2V of their only server.

The mouse cable was trapped under the UPS. So the engineer yanks the cable, which knocks over the UPS *and the server* - Server is completely dead, 2 of the 3 drives had failed before the server was knocked over apparently. We have 1 backup with a 50/50 chance of being a successful restore. Currently calling anyone who had cached exchange mode on and exporting to PSTs. Fun!

They fired the dude one has to assume?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

demonachizer posted:

You forget what thread we're in.

He's the new CIO.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

demonachizer posted:

The story got chopped and changed in a game of chinese whispers, it would seem. The mouse cable was tangled between the UPS cables. So yanking the cord didn't destroy the server, but it shut it off and wouldn't boot. He's not being fired, he's the closest the company has to a greybeard.

Senior engineers are building a new server at the moment; we've got a backup of the exchange store thankfully. But the system state, AD etc are going to have to be recreated, all the workstations yanked off the domain and put back on etc.

DrAlexanderTobacco fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 31, 2013

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Jesus Christ. It would have been easier to either untangle the drat cords or just say 'gently caress it' and ask for another mouse. Why the gently caress would someone yank on a cable that may or may not be connected to a production server?

Whales
Oct 23, 2013
We got a guy come in with a dead thin client today, and judging by the smell it had overheated and something had died. Well, we've got a couple of spares, so we gave the dude a new one and I headed back up to his desk with him to plug him in and give him a desktop shortcut to our Citrix login. Figured we'd try and work out what was wrong with it later and get him back up and running first. I was going through the normal process of explaining that since we were cloud based and this was a local problem he wouldn't lose any files, buuut.... it turns out he'd been running AutoCAD locally. Large-scale AutoCAD work, complete with 3D renders etc, running off a tiny back-of-the-monitor Zotac box with a 1.6GHz atom, integrated graphics and 2GB of ram. Just AutoCAD, too, he was still logging into his VM every morning - Citrix has a feature where you can integrate locally run programs with your ICA session, but that's for when you've got some serious hardware at the office end but still want the rest of your desktop on a more modest cloud setup. Not the exact opposite of that scenario, which is what we have here.

So, that explained the overheating problem and the amount of moaning he'd been giving us about speed. The best part is that given the software he uses day to day the guy was assigned a VM with a dedicated GPU, and presumably extra AutoCAD/Revit licenses.

I have no loving clue how this ended up happening.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

AlexDeGruven posted:

You forget what universe we're in.

He's the new CIO.

Fixed for IT truth.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Whales posted:

We got a guy come in with a dead thin client today, and judging by the smell it had overheated and something had died.

I know exactly the smell you're talking about, too. Get one whiff of the magic smoke, and you never forget.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

ConfusedUs posted:

I know exactly the smell you're talking about, too. Get one whiff of the magic smoke, and you never forget.

Blown caps smell wonderful, almost as wonderful as a melting board/plastic.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

TWBalls posted:

Jesus Christ. It would have been easier to either untangle the drat cords or just say 'gently caress it' and ask for another mouse. Why the gently caress would someone yank on a cable that may or may not be connected to a production server?

I actually had a similar thing happen to me the other day. I was trying to reel in the power cord for a switch I was moving and suddenly the server I was leaning over turned off.

I start freaking out but everything looks plugged in and on. Turns out that the power cable for the server had barely been plugged into the PSU, and just brushing the cord was enough to jar it off of the prongs.

I did get to sheepishly explain the "unplanner server restart" to a guy who came rushing in about a missing mapped drive.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Has anyone seen an issue where searching in Internet Explorer kicks off a chain reaction of tabs opening (That continue until you kill the process)? It's the weirdest thing. If you replicate via Google Chrome, it reports that you're sending out a large amount of traffic and need to enter a captcha. Once entered, it doesn't prompt again.

It's one laptop that's causing it, but it affects most of the PCs in the network. Take the users' PC off the network, and the problem stops occurring instantly. I thought it might be a DNS issue, so added Google's DNS as a forward lookup to the server and that seems to have stopped it from happening. Doing it that way means that the user can still access the internal webpages etc.

Weird.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Inspector_666 posted:

I actually had a similar thing happen to me the other day. I was trying to reel in the power cord for a switch I was moving and suddenly the server I was leaning over turned off.

I start freaking out but everything looks plugged in and on. Turns out that the power cable for the server had barely been plugged into the PSU, and just brushing the cord was enough to jar it off of the prongs.

I did get to sheepishly explain the "unplanner server restart" to a guy who came rushing in about a missing mapped drive.

Lack of cable management is definitely something that pisses me off. I'm constantly having to tell the other techs here to make sure they install the cable management arms when they're installing the servers. They never do, so all of our stuff looks like a rats nest. When I hear we're having a downtime for any of those systems, I usually find the cable management stuff, then install them. Things are slowly looking better in there, but goddamn, why can't people do poo poo right the first time, then we don't have to worry about fixing it later?

Seems like it boils down to laziness, but, as a bit of a lazy person myself, it seems to me that it makes more sense to do it right the first time, then you're not wasting time/energy trying to 'fix' it for the umpteenth time later down the road. If you're gonna be lazy, be smart about it. :)

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
Just found out why my requests for written copies of policies get ignored, we don't have an escalation policy or a scope of support policy at all.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

blackswordca posted:

Just found out why my requests for written copies of policies get ignored, we don't have an escalation policy or a scope of support policy at all.

You truly have the best job.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

blackswordca posted:

Wouldn't that work in your favor?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Wouldn't that work in your favor?

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAH
[gasp]

HAHAHAHahahaAHHAHAHAHAHAH

Seriously. If it's not written down, the policy is whatever management decides it is, and you had better be telepathic.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

nitrogen posted:

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAH
[gasp]

HAHAHAHahahaAHHAHAHAHAHAH

Seriously. If it's not written down, the policy is whatever management decides it is, and you had better be telepathic.

And if management doesn't like you or needs a scapegoat, the policy will retroactively be whatever makes you look bad.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Khisanth Magus posted:

And if management doesn't like you or needs a scapegoat, the policy will retroactively be whatever makes you look bad.

Pretty sure his company has done this to him repeatedly. We are all rooting for you, blackswordca :angel:

J
Jun 10, 2001

Has anyone seen an issue where searching in Internet Explorer kicks off a chain reaction of tabs opening (That continue until you kill the process)? It's the weirdest thing. If you replicate via Google Chrome, it reports that you're sending out a large amount of traffic and need to enter a captcha. Once entered, it doesn't prompt again.

It's one laptop that's causing it, but it affects most of the PCs in the network. Take the users' PC off the network, and the problem stops occurring instantly. I thought it might be a DNS issue, so added Google's DNS as a forward lookup to the server and that seems to have stopped it from happening. Doing it that way means that the user can still access the internal webpages etc.

Weird.

A coworker of mine had this happen with Chrome on one of the loaner laptops we had but not IE. When I logged in as myself, I wasn't able to duplicate the issue. I had him log into it again and....it stopped happening for him, as well. :iiam:

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006

Weird.

Check the problem computer for rootkits. I seem to recall dealing with a similar issue in the past and it was a rootkit. The captcha would likely affect every computer on the network if you are using NAT and only have 1 public ip address.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I'm like 4000 posts behind on this thread but I thought you all might appreciate the email I just got.

Subject: Could you tell me how to access the registration window to enter a new registration key for a client (without me downloading the manual and reading it).

Body:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Got an early email from a user that he was having trouble logging in to his Wyse terminal. Asked him if there was an error message. His reply? "Yes." :v:

Welcome to the bottom of the pile!

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

Got an early email from a user that he was having trouble logging in to his Wyse terminal. Asked him if there was an error message. His reply? "Yes." :v:

"Can I help you with that? Of course I can." *click*

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
"None of our emails work ugh why does this happen"

Well yeah when one person can't send out a gigabyte sized video the correct thing to do is have 5 other people try and then call me about it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Dick Trauma posted:

"What was the error message?"

"I don't know."

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Bottle opener update

Read thread, it gets better at the end.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
God forgive me, I just taught a grandma how to forward emails.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

At least stupid chain emails aren't really a thing any more, people sharing crap from Buzzfeed on Facebook fills that particular void nicely.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
This isn't help desk related, but I figured the story was worth sharing as an example of just how ignorant some people are of computers. Feel free to tell me that I am a horrible user and I'll edit gladly.

So at the time I worked at a local community college. I was basically a TA for a few algebra courses. Due to extreme variances on the quality of instruction from the various professors of this subject, the Math Dept head had mandated that the professors were not allowed to give their own final exam, that every student had to take it via the computer.
Somehow, the system wasn't that bad, the textbooks were custom editions (more money for the publisher) that showed the students screen caps of exactly how to log on and access extra practice for their course. And, of course, the final exam.

So final exam day comes and the teacher and I are nerding out about math things while we proctor the test. 15 minutes of "what do I click on" questions, then the rare "wait, how do I graph a line? :downs:" One student shows up a little late, but the test is timed from when you start, and you always get the full two hours. The professor has to run to proctor another test and this is the only student who is still taking the test. And he still has about half an hour left. No problem, I relaxed behind him and did something on my phone, occasionally checking the time he had left.

After his timer runs out:
:) : *turns to me with a sheaf of papers* "okay, who do I give these to?"

Yes. He had worked out every problem on paper just fine and even had almost all of them right, but had not entered any of these into the computer. The test had autosubmitted his "answers" and he had gotten a zero.

He ended up having to go to the professor with me as a voucher for his work and have the professor hand grade the whole final and change basically every answer.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

quote:

Helpdesk,
Please create a work order "Please stop workstation ##### from spamming the domain controller with packets on UDP port 500. It is currently sending multiple packets per second"

[a few hundred pasted lines from a log]

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

anthonypants posted:

Helpdesk,
Please create a work order "Please stop workstation ##### from spamming the domain controller with packets on UDP port 500. It is currently sending multiple packets per second"

[a few hundred pasted lines from a log]

Why are they trying to establish an IPSec VPN to your DC?

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

fivre posted:

Why are they trying to establish an IPSec VPN to your DC?

The domain name resolves to the nearest DC, so I guess someone tried to set up a vpn and typed "company.com" in the server address instead of "vpn.company.com"?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
A data center temperature alert came in...

Last year I was on the emergency conference bridge for Sandy, this year for a busted glycol pump. 98 degrees and rising.

I wasn't looking forward to helping my brother-in-law move today but I am not looking forward to this, or the inevitable aftermath/after-action. D:

Best part? I'm on call anyway, so it's gonna be fun answering the 50 voice mails that are inevitable.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
I don't know what, but something very bad is about to happen. We are implementing a new ERP - our go live is Monday morning - and I am leaving the office now (at 2:30pm and not 4:00 am) with nothing left to do. Something is wrong somewhere. This entire last week actually went very well, not one major issue and all the small ones were resolved in a timely manner. I am horrified.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Sham I Am posted:

I don't know what, but something very bad is about to happen. We are implementing a new ERP - our go live is Monday morning - and I am leaving the office now (at 2:30pm and not 4:00 am) with nothing left to do. Something is wrong somewhere. This entire last week actually went very well, not one major issue and all the small ones were resolved in a timely manner. I am horrified.

I know that feeling. We've had two very successful upgrades the last two weeks, 3 sites left to go. But this week it'll be the biggest site, with twice the load of the previous ones. If it's going to go titsup it'll happen here.

Downtime start midnight on the 6th with a two hour window. :ohdear:

JonLaslow
Oct 25, 2013

0x0000007b
Enjoying the fact that while we have a maintenance window tonight for part of our DC, I get to relax at home and watch the potential carnage unfold.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

A ticket came in Friday. They can't connect to 10.5.101.8 from VPN.

It turns out that if that host has its gateway set to 10.5.101.0, no you really can't establish a TCP/IP connection to it from outside of that subnet. Modern TCP/IP stacks are too robust, I can't think of a reason why that configuration should ever work at all.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

mllaneza posted:

A ticket came in Friday. They can't connect to 10.5.101.8 from VPN.

It turns out that if that host has its gateway set to 10.5.101.0, no you really can't establish a TCP/IP connection to it from outside of that subnet. Modern TCP/IP stacks are too robust, I can't think of a reason why that configuration should ever work at all.

I'm not sure why you'd say that's "too robust", though it would make sense to throw an error if the gateway is an invalid IP based on the subnet mask. If you were using 10.0.0.0/8 or even down to 10.5.100.0/23, 10.5.101.0 is actually a valid, usable address. Given the quality of a lot of VPN software, though, I can see it silently suppressing any error that Windows might throw about it. Hell, the convention is that the the first is reserved as identifying the subnet number itself, but there's no real reason you couldn't set your router to .0, from any technical sense.

Urit fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 3, 2013

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Urit posted:

I'm not sure why you'd say that's "too robust", though it would make sense to throw an error if the gateway is an invalid IP based on the subnet mask. If you were using 10.0.0.0/8 or even down to 10.5.100.0/23, 10.5.101.0 is actually a valid, usable address. Given the quality of a lot of VPN software, though, I can see it silently suppressing any error that Windows might throw about it. Hell, the convention is that the the first is reserved as identifying the subnet number itself, but there's no real reason you couldn't set your router to .0, from any technical sense.

The fact that we're using AnyConnect for VPN is probably the biggest problem in this equation. Thanks for the thoughts.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I was only half joking to my friend when I said Blizzard is dogshit. Turns out I was right!

- I forgot my bnet password, so I reset it and gave it the secret answer. Cool problem solved.

- Logged in with the new password, account gets locked due to new login or some poo poo. To unlock your account, reset your password!

- Try to reset my password again, account gets hard locked and I need to contact CS to unlock it. I find the CS page and...

- "Log into your Battle.net account to submit a ticket to customer support!"

Brilliant. You guys really knocked it out of the park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
They are telling you to stop supporting a lovely developer. Stop supporting a lovely dev that went from awesome (d2) to "let's implement a explicit Korean MMO grind or two every videogame we produce" (ladders, wow levels + gear requirements, hearthstone levels, d3).

:corsair:

• Locked thread