Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

pylb posted:

This walkthrough appears to have them:
http://uk.ign.com/wikis/hotline-miami/Prologue

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

RaoulDuke12 posted:

This is mind blowing to me for some reason, probably just because my job is basically to compose an entire movie or scene in my head ahead of time so I would be screwed if I couldn't do it visually.

When you remember a scene from a movie, do you just remember the words in the scene or do you remember the picture itself through words? For example, when I remember the first scene from The Big Lebowski I remember very clearly a lone tumbleweed blowing its way through a dolly shot down a dark, abandoned, dusty highway and I hear Sam Elliot's voice musing about the dude. (Assuming you've seen the movie recently enough to remember), how do you remember this scene?

I may be similar to who you're responding to. My dreams are pretty vivid, but when I try to imagine stuff it's more abstract. It's not to the point of just words though. Real life visuals stimulate me a lot (though only if I'm interested). I can never remember movie scenes that clearly like you just described, even my favourite scenes in my favourite movies aren't in my memory in that much detail. I'm not going to accept that this is the way it is though. Perhaps it's a learned behaviour and everyone's just used to their own way of thinking and most never bother to try to go the other way of thinking. That's why we say, "Oh, he's gifted visually." Or "Oh, he has a special way with words and she doesn't."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RaoulDuke12 posted:

This is mind blowing to me for some reason, probably just because my job is basically to compose an entire movie or scene in my head ahead of time so I would be screwed if I couldn't do it visually.

When you remember a scene from a movie, do you just remember the words in the scene or do you remember the picture itself through words? For example, when I remember the first scene from The Big Lebowski I remember very clearly a lone tumbleweed blowing its way through a dolly shot down a dark, abandoned, dusty highway and I hear Sam Elliot's voice musing about the dude. (Assuming you've seen the movie recently enough to remember), how do you remember this scene?

I haven't seen that movie recently, but in general, when I remember a scene the dialogue stands out a lot more than the action, and the scenery is almost completely forgotten. I tend to remember it in pretty broad strokes, like "A tumbleweed blowing down a road." and then if pressed I would be able to reconstruct what was probably there based on what I associate with that. If something was unusual or stood out I'd remember that detail, but not otherwise.

Here's an example. The opening to The Simpsons. It's been a while since I've seen it so I've probably got it out of sequence and may be missing stuff, but here's how I remember it. It zooms into the power station, where Homer's holding a glowing green rod in tongs. The horn sounds and he drops it down the back of his clothes. Marge is at the supermarket and the checkout woman scans Maggie. Marge gasps but then relieved is when Maggie is returned to her. Bart skates down the street and Homer drives by, pulls the glowing rod out of his shirt and throws it down the storm drain. Lisa spins and plays her saxophone. Then they all arrive home within moments of each other and rush into the livingroom to watch TV.

But when I think it, the words mean more than they do to other people. Like, when I say Lisa spins, I know what I mean by that and I could demonstrate, but I can't describe it. And when I say Marge gasps, I also mean she does that thing with her hand at the same time which I can't explain, but I know I meant to include that in the word "gasps". It's kind of implied but in a way that only I can understand.

I also have no idea what the cars look like or what colour the livingroom is or anything like that. That sort of visual detail just doesn't get stored.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Foomin posted:

Thanks for answering! Not to be presumptuous about your brain or anything, but I was wondering if it was something like that since it would make sense if your mental processes are more data- and audio-focused and less visual because data and audio are so vivid for you (I've read that color-phoneme synesthetes have great memories for this reason). Suuuper interesting.

The visualization discussion reminded me of some questions I've wanted to ask but they always seemed too incredibly stupid and rude to ask people I know, so if there are any red/green colorblind people out there who would answer any of these dumb questions for me, I'd appreciate it.

-Can you name any visual artists you particularly like?
-Do you like to draw or paint?
-Favorite color?
-Current job/career field?
-Google tells me that both red and green show up to me as shades of brownish yellow. Does this color, in isolation, ever remind you of freshness, spring/summer, or the outdoors (like grass, trees, and peppermint) or love, sex, or anger (like red lipstick or valentines)? Are colors in general ever strongly evocative for you?
-Can you tell me which settings which you find especially pretty (cities, forests, the beach, downtown at night, one town in particular, etc.)?
-Can you give any examples of things or places that are repulsive to you because of the coloring?
-Can you tell if somebody is blushing?
-Do you wear makeup and if so, what kinds?
-Do you feel you have a harder time than most remembering faces or driving directions?
-Do you know of any colorblind artists or interesting books or resources about colorblindness that you could recommend?
-These question are so loving stupid, hahahaha, I'm so sorry

If you added some images, this would be a good OP for an A/T thread

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Install Windows posted:

The usual preferred thing for people to do is to make a domain like "FirstnameLastnameDesigns.com" rather then to switch to foreign domain names. Hate to say it, but a lot of people just don't get alternate top level domains, and you might end up dealing with someone who wanted to hire you but thinks .in must mean you're really a scammer or something like that. Or a hiring manager who sees https://www.yourname.in and types it in as https://www.yourname.in.com and thinks you're the one who messed up.

Ugh no way, far too long. I think I am going with firstname lastname .in, I finally heard back from all the people who own the .com and .org's that I want and they are all asking about 1,100$. I know there isn't a proper way to value a domain but that's a little high isn't it?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

razz posted:

There is no etiquette. I'm serious, I used to work at Wal-Mart and I always requested to be put at the express lane because I just thought it was more fun (fun in a relative way, everything about Wal-Mart sucks rear end). A cashier can't turn you away for having too many items - the manager will tell you that. It's more of a guideline than a rule.

I believe I hold the world record for checking out the most items at the 10-items or less lane - over 800. People with hundreds of spools of thread are THE WORST because you can't just scan one and x100 on the register because they're all different colors so you have to scan each one individually. Yes, people regularly have entire shopping carts full of nothing but spools of thread. And they often choose the 10-items or less lane, go figure.

A bunch of my friends work at a big grocery store in the city I live in and occasionally I'll go to their store to say hi- usually they're doing cashier duty even the managers so I'll get in their line. More often than not its an express line, and I have a cart full of stuff.

We sit there talking and catching up for like, 20 minutes, and everyone in the line actually starts yelling, and we have no guilt about it.

(edit) sorry for the double post.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Not an Anthem posted:

Ugh no way, far too long. I think I am going with firstname lastname .in, I finally heard back from all the people who own the .com and .org's that I want and they are all asking about 1,100$. I know there isn't a proper way to value a domain but that's a little high isn't it?

That's sound about right. $1100 is nothing if you need the right name for your business.

Is the .net, .co or .me available? Those would all be better choices for a personal site than .in. Really the only use for .in is either you have an Indian business or want to make a domain hack with it (doma.in). It's just a junk domain one step above .info

Not an Anthem posted:

A bunch of my friends work at a big grocery store in the city I live in and occasionally I'll go to their store to say hi- usually they're doing cashier duty even the managers so I'll get in their line. More often than not its an express line, and I have a cart full of stuff.

We sit there talking and catching up for like, 20 minutes, and everyone in the line actually starts yelling, and we have no guilt about it.

(edit) sorry for the double post.

Also you're a dick.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
re: express lane etiquette, Am I alone in thinking the self-checkout lines should be treated like express lines and that you're kinda dickish if you take a giant cartload through the self-checkout?

The nature of the way those things work makes them very slow for large quantities, a checker could do it 4x faster and you wouldn't be holding up the guy wanting to self checkout his 2 or 3 items.

On the other hand you could say that a giant cart of groceries through self checkout save a checker some work. (but if enough people did that, there'd be less and less checker jobs.)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Vin BioEthanol posted:

re: express lane etiquette, Am I alone in thinking the self-checkout lines should be treated like express lines and that you're kinda dickish if you take a giant cartload through the self-checkout?

The nature of the way those things work makes them very slow for large quantities, a checker could do it 4x faster and you wouldn't be holding up the guy wanting to self checkout his 2 or 3 items.

On the other hand you could say that a giant cart of groceries through self checkout save a checker some work. (but if enough people did that, there'd be less and less checker jobs.)

It depends on which kind of self-check you mean. If you mean the kind with the rollers/conveyor belt and there are two of you so one can bag while the other scans, then it seems to me that that's what they're for. If you meant the kind that are just sort of a kiosk, then of course you're kinda dickish if you bring a big cart to those.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
How do you swing? When I was younger I had to rely on my parents to push the swing for me, but on QI I saw some Estonian doing massive swings while standing up. I used to ask other people who I'd see move their arms legs and bodies on swings when the critical points to move were but they'd never tell me.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Crankit posted:

How do you swing? When I was younger I had to rely on my parents to push the swing for me, but on QI I saw some Estonian doing massive swings while standing up. I used to ask other people who I'd see move their arms legs and bodies on swings when the critical points to move were but they'd never tell me.

Contract when going backwards, extent when going forwards. Orthogonal to the direction of the chain/rope.

How did you get this far without learning how to swing?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

hooah posted:

It depends on which kind of self-check you mean. If you mean the kind with the rollers/conveyor belt and there are two of you so one can bag while the other scans, then it seems to me that that's what they're for. If you meant the kind that are just sort of a kiosk, then of course you're kinda dickish if you bring a big cart to those.

The supermarket I go to has six self-checkouts and I have never once seen them all in use, so it doesn't matter how long you take, there is always going to be at least one free.

Crankit posted:

When you're as far forward as you'll get, tilt forward and tuck your legs under you. At the opposite end of the arc, tilt backward and kick your legs out. How have you managed to use a swing and never figure this out?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I did it like twice and I don't make a point of it, they tell me to come through their lane because we're good friends. I usually shop somewhere else unless I need certain things they always carry.

Thanks for the domain appraisal question.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Tiggum posted:

How have you managed to use a swing and never figure this out?

Namarrgon posted:

How did you get this far without learning how to swing?

What hellhole place do you live in where using a swing is so important it determines your ability to progress in life?
I don't know about anyone else but when I'm in a job interview I don't whisper at the end that I know how to use a swing. Of course until now I didn't so don't worry guys I will drop that secret knowledge with every human interaction I now have.

*guy finishes working on Crankit's car*

:)    pssst mechanic I know all about and am now good at swinging *wink*
:clint: glad to hear that son, have 50% off your bill
:)    Thanks pal that's real nice, you're real nice!
:clint: sure drop by at 8 and I'll give you a free grease job

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Tiggum posted:

The supermarket I go to has six self-checkouts and I have never once seen them all in use, so it doesn't matter how long you take, there is always going to be at least one free.

A new Walmart Neighborhood Market opened up near me, and they try to push everyone to self-check. They have 1 or 2 manned registers and the rest are self-checks with employees running groups of 4 or so registers. So out of their 10 check outs, 8 are self-check. I'm not a huge fan of the self-check unless I'm just getting a couple of items.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Vin BioEthanol posted:

False. I choose the self checkout 100% of the time if at all possible, regardless of how many items I have in my cart, even if I have to wait in line to do so.

I personally can check out my own groceries at least twice as fast as the average cashier. I'm not trying to brag (what a stupid thing to brag about), but like I mentioned I was a cashier there for over a year and no cashier gives a single gently caress at being fast and efficient when they're making minimum wage, and they also for some crazy reason refuse to put more than maybe 5 items in one sack. I do not need to take home 5 sacks when I can fit everything in two. I always politely ask cashiers to fill the sacks really full and they'll often refuse because "what if the bag breaks" like they would be held personally accountable. I'll regularly end up with a bag holding nothing but a single container of sour cream or something stupidly small like that because the cashier refused to "over-fill" a sack.

I know how the self checkout works, unlike 75% of people, who don't realize the bags are actually on a scale and you can't scan the next item unless the previous scanned item is on the scale (in the bag). You can't scan an item and hold it in your left hand and then try to scan another item in your right hand you stupid gently caress. Once you figure that out and understand how to weigh produce on the self-check machines, you can get through them with a full cart of groceries faster than the majority of cashiers can check you out (and you have the benefit of almost never having to wait in line at the self-check stations). Plus I can bag my groceries like I want. No, three bags of chips do not warrant three separate bags. Yes, you can put lightweight items in the same sack with bananas (or shockingly, you can put produce on top of other items, they don't need a bag all to themselves). Yes, you can fit more than 4 soup cans in a bag and the bag isn't going to break.

Sorry for the rant. Wal-Mart just makes me angry. Unfortunately it's the only place to get groceries within a 30 mile radius of me that isn't just a "Country Mart" that doesn't even have a deli or a freezer section.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I'd like to read a good book that explains why in virtually every society women are treated worse than men in context of their biological and psychological differences. Any recommendations?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crankit posted:

What hellhole place do you live in where using a swing is so important it determines your ability to progress in life?
I don't know about anyone else but when I'm in a job interview I don't whisper at the end that I know how to use a swing. Of course until now I didn't so don't worry guys I will drop that secret knowledge with every human interaction I now have.

*guy finishes working on Crankit's car*

:)    pssst mechanic I know all about and am now good at swinging *wink*
:clint: glad to hear that son, have 50% off your bill
:)    Thanks pal that's real nice, you're real nice!
:clint: sure drop by at 8 and I'll give you a free grease job

Pretty sure that was one of those jokes things I hear about champ.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

I'd like to read a good book that explains why in virtually every society women are treated worse than men in context of their biological and psychological differences. Any recommendations?

That's still a somewhat controversial topic (is it intrinsic or is it a vicious cycle? is it genetic or memetic? are there cultures with fully empowered women, and what can we learn from those cultures? plus you've got your assholes who don't think we have sexism at all anymore), so just FYI, any book you get is going to be espousing some researcher's position and that of his/her academic sub-community. Doesn't mean you shouldn't read it. Just approach it with your best critical thinking skillz, as it's not like reading a book about science fact or a very well-characterized period of history or anything.

I say this only because the way you asked sounds like you take this idea for granted, and want a book that explains why this is so. So before you read anything just remember to tell yourself "This idea makes sense to me, but I lack the rigorous historical, cultural, biological, and psychological research to be sure of it. I'd like to read about it from somebody who agrees with this idea, but has done a lot more work looking into it than I have, so that I can better evaluate how valid my thinking is." Don't say "I want a book that explains why X is true."

That all being said, sorry, don't have any particular recommendations. Just took issue with your phrasing. Good luck though, it's a cool topic.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

razz posted:

I know how the self checkout works, unlike 75% of people, who don't realize the bags are actually on a scale and you can't scan the next item unless the previous scanned item is on the scale (in the bag). You can't scan an item and hold it in your left hand and then try to scan another item in your right hand you stupid gently caress.

See I know about the scale and that's why I say it's slow. It takes a second or 2 to acknowledge you've dropped your item into the bag before letting you scan another. For me anyway.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 4, 2013

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Vin BioEthanol posted:

See I know about the scale and that's why I say it's slow. It takes a second or 2 to acknowledge you've dropped your item into the bag before letting you scan another. For me anyway.

Yeah, just the nature of the scale system means there's still going to be a delay between scanning items. I stand by my argument that it is still faster in most situations to do self-checkout because you rarely have to wait in line, and most cashiers are comically slow anyway. Plus you can bag your groceries how you want, to me that's a plus.

I know I sound like an rear end in a top hat, some cashiers are fast and actually give a poo poo. When I worked at Wal-Mart my friends and I would have contests to see who could scan the fastest. The register automatically calculates this as "Items Per Hour" or IPH, so you can print out a slip that tells you the average number of items you scan per hour. Average IPH at my store was around 150 (I was told this by a manager). My friends and I regularly scanned over 800 items per hour and my overall average was around 500-600. And I wasn't even trying to be fast. It pissed me off that every other cashier in the store was THAT SLOW. That I could get customers through my line literally 4 times as fast without even trying, I just wasn't a total idiot. Wal-Mart does not and has never cared about the customer's experience at the checkout line, and those painfully slow cashiers who somehow seem to scan less than two items a minute over their entire shift are generally the ones who have worked there for years.

The people running the registers who have stars on their name tags and all sorts of little Wal-Mart "awards" on their vests, AVOID THEIR LINES. Go to the line of the person who looks like they have no idea what they're doing even if there are more customers waiting in that line. I'm not sure why but the new people are always faster. I think it's because they haven't resigned themselves to forever being a Wal-Mart cashier and haven't totally given up on life, they're just there to make beer money and want to get the customers through the line as fast as possible since that means you have more down time.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Turtlicious posted:

Pretty sure that was one of those jokes things I hear about champ.

I bet you'd feel pretty silly if I told you I changed it into a joke about being a sexhaver, but you lack the secret sex knowledge and didn't get my sex joke huh?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
The 14 year old who killed his teacher, why is he wearing a Tyvek painter's suit in court? I saw someone in court in one of these in my local news too once.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/10/23/danvers-teacher-dead/3169235/

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

What the gently caress happened to GBS? :stare:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Vin BioEthanol posted:

The 14 year old who killed his teacher, why is he wearing a Tyvek painter's suit in court? I saw someone in court in one of these in my local news too once.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/10/23/danvers-teacher-dead/3169235/

Sometimes they'll put them in Tyvek suits so they can process their clothes for any evidence and before they're issued a jail uniform. Someone else asked this questions a few years ago infact.

http://www.milforddailynews.com/news/x1482905118

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Who started the last something awful Christmas album thread? My neighbors put up their Christmas lights and it popped into my head that its about that time of year. Wondering if that person was still planning to make another.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

FCKGW posted:

Sometimes they'll put them in Tyvek suits so they can process their clothes for any evidence and before they're issued a jail uniform. Someone else asked this questions a few years ago infact.

Ah ok, I thought that was a new article/picture I posted and he'd been in jail a long time and should have jail clothes by now but I see it's old and it makes sense now. Like crime scene guys probably carry extra tyvek suits in bags in case they have to take someones clothes I guess.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Tiggum posted:

I haven't seen that movie recently, but in general, when I remember a scene the dialogue stands out a lot more than the action, and the scenery is almost completely forgotten. I tend to remember it in pretty broad strokes, like "A tumbleweed blowing down a road." and then if pressed I would be able to reconstruct what was probably there based on what I associate with that. If something was unusual or stood out I'd remember that detail, but not otherwise.

Here's an example. The opening to The Simpsons. It's been a while since I've seen it so I've probably got it out of sequence and may be missing stuff, but here's how I remember it. It zooms into the power station, where Homer's holding a glowing green rod in tongs. The horn sounds and he drops it down the back of his clothes. Marge is at the supermarket and the checkout woman scans Maggie. Marge gasps but then relieved is when Maggie is returned to her. Bart skates down the street and Homer drives by, pulls the glowing rod out of his shirt and throws it down the storm drain. Lisa spins and plays her saxophone. Then they all arrive home within moments of each other and rush into the livingroom to watch TV.

But when I think it, the words mean more than they do to other people. Like, when I say Lisa spins, I know what I mean by that and I could demonstrate, but I can't describe it. And when I say Marge gasps, I also mean she does that thing with her hand at the same time which I can't explain, but I know I meant to include that in the word "gasps". It's kind of implied but in a way that only I can understand.

I also have no idea what the cars look like or what colour the livingroom is or anything like that. That sort of visual detail just doesn't get stored.

I'm more like this as well. Words, dialogue, is much more memorable for me. The scenery or visuals is secondary.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Huntersoninski posted:

Who started the last something awful Christmas album thread? My neighbors put up their Christmas lights and it popped into my head that its about that time of year. Wondering if that person was still planning to make another.

jennyinstereo has done it the last few years. She hasn't posted in a couple months. I'd ask her and if she's not doing it ask toby/booby to start it.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
What about the SA Secret Santa? I am afraid to go into GBS nowadays. I know there is usually a thread by now even though it has been a train wreck the last few years I will probably participate again.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Drimble Wedge posted:

What the gently caress happened to GBS? :stare:

It's been upgraded to Version 2.1.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm wondering if any of you guys can help me find something. A friend of mine has a birthday coming up and she's really into flow arts and poi spinning, and she wants to get some veil poi (these things) and I'm wondering where I can get her a set that are affordable but good quality.

Alternatively, if I can do it cheaper, I'd like to make my own (I have a local friend who can dye them for cheap) but I don't know where to get the materials or what the best kind is. Plain white silk would be best, but I'm not sure what weight I need or where I can get some cut to the right dimensions. If anybody has any experience with fabrics (or if there's a fabric thread I haven't seen and someone can point me to it) I'd really appreciate it. :)

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

Tiggum posted:

This is really interesting to me, I'm the opposite. For example, if I read a book, I construct visuals in my head as I read. If it's been long enough since I read the book, I remember the visuals without remembering the book itself or any of the actual words. As an example, here's a description of a scene from an unknown book I read about 15 years ago:

There's two characters in a lovely shelter made of brush and palm fronds. It's been pouring rain for a few days and everything's soaked. The shelter isn't keeping much of it of. Lots of wind too, trees are blowing down sometimes, it might even be a hurricane. The shelter isn't faring well in the wind. There's a lot of brush around, and a lot of water, so either they're in a swamp or everything's started to flood. The younger is a boy who looks about 9 or 10, and has injured his leg. He probably hasn't been in the water much since it was injured though, there's more blood than you'd expect if he'd been wading. The older character is around 12 or 14, and she looks really worried. She's frantically trying to both bandage the boy's leg and shore up their shelter. They're probably siblings, they look alike.

I could tell you haircuts and clothing styles, but I have no idea what book it was or what the plot was, and I wouldn't remember the kids' names even if you told them to me. Purely verbal information, like names, just isn't stored.

How are you at math? I'm very good at math I can visualize, and awful at anything that's too abstract to visualize.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I know next to nothing about suits, and most of what I can find on the internet is marketing. I'm about to start looking for a new job, and am in need of a suit (primarily for interviews, but possibly for wear to the new job). There's a Hong Kong bespoke tailoring company that advertises to law firms in the area, and they're going to be here at the beginning of December. Their pricing looks pretty reasonable:

Is this the best way to go for a suit? Or am I better off hitting up a Men's Wearhouse or something?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

I know next to nothing about suits, and most of what I can find on the internet is marketing. I'm about to start looking for a new job, and am in need of a suit (primarily for interviews, but possibly for wear to the new job). There's a Hong Kong bespoke tailoring company that advertises to law firms in the area, and they're going to be here at the beginning of December. Their pricing looks pretty reasonable:

Is this the best way to go for a suit? Or am I better off hitting up a Men's Wearhouse or something?

Go here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522719

(If you have a Suit Supply store nearby go there.)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I had a molar pulled this morning and the giant hole where my tooth used to be is really mentally distressing to me. It just feels so insanely weird having a (really big) tooth missing from my mouth all of a sudden. Is it just something you get used to after a while? I feel like I am just going to be obsessing over this thing until it's healed and I can afford to get an implant which will probably be many months or a year from now. This sucks.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

NESguerilla posted:

I had a molar pulled this morning and the giant hole where my tooth used to be is really mentally distressing to me. It just feels so insanely weird having a (really big) tooth missing from my mouth all of a sudden. Is it just something you get used to after a while? I feel like I am just going to be obsessing over this thing until it's healed and I can afford to get an implant which will probably be many months or a year from now. This sucks.

It probably depends on how far back it is. I have one that has been gone (and not replaced with an implant) for a few years and I rarely think about it. Mine is far enough back that the tip of my tongue doesn't touch it unless I try though.

Of course now that you brought it up I will probably be aware of it for the rest of the night.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Does using "effect" as a verb sound weird to anybody else?

I have seen many people use it like that and it really bothers me. I know it is technically correct, but still. It seems to me like "affect" is generally better as a verb. Am I wrong or too picky about this?

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.

Chernabog posted:

Does using "effect" as a verb sound weird to anybody else?

I have seen many people use it like that and it really bothers me. I know it is technically correct, but still. It seems to me like "affect" is generally better as a verb. Am I wrong or too picky about this?

Effect as a verb has a specific meaning of "to bring about." If they're using it to mean "has an effect on" they're wrong and it should be affect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Oh okay. In that case I am not crazy.