Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Despite my efforts, Selene insists on moving in with me. I guess polygamy's kosher in the world of Dragon's Dogma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
She always moves in with you if you finish her questline, since you know, you destroyed her guardian golem and she can't really stay in Witchwood in case the angry witch burning mob comes back. It's a completely separate quest check from the "who is your beloved" one.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
When you're a magic archer you have to make the most of the first date because you'll never get a second one.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Nahxela posted:

I'm on fire, on a monster's face, and using thousand kisses.

This was the only way I could kill Daimon because none of my other attacks hurt him, since I didn't have any periapts on me. Only took something like 10 wakestones and a huge amount of healing items after all my pawns died :shepface:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Haha, it's funny facing Golems when you're a Sorcerer. The first one is just a pain as your pawns slowly whittle down its HP. Then the second one is over immediately as all your pawns start climbing and hacking at its weak spots. I do love the AI at times.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Haha, it's funny facing Golems when you're a Sorcerer. The first one is just a pain as your pawns slowly whittle down its HP. Then the second one is over immediately as all your pawns start climbing and hacking at its weak spots. I do love the AI at times.
Yeah, I had my petite mage pawn jump straight up on a golem and started punching straight away. It was quite a sight to see a small lady punch a Golem to death.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

WeaponBoy posted:

I think you can do Deny Salvation safely, but afterwards DO NOT do the following: talk to the Dragonforged, go through the Door at the bottom of the Deny Salvation castle.

What I'd do is do the Duchess quest, then toss her around her room to make her hate you. Next give the ring to Madeleine then go finish the game. If you go straight there after using the Arisen's Bond that person should be your beloved.

This worked. Bad Business did remain available after I accepted Deny Salvation.

Also, been trying Magic Archer, and now that I've got it max ranked (and got a good magick bow from beating Grigori) I can see why people like it so much. Just a shame you can't level up as it much if you want to deal good damage.

e: haha Explosive Rivet is amazing. :allears:

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 3, 2013

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
If you haven't already, try spamming ricochet hunter in tight corridors. It makes everything easy.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Okasvi posted:

If you haven't already, try spamming ricochet hunter in tight corridors. It makes everything easy.

Yeah I've been doing that in BBI. Just did that and killed a harpy, almost killed an ogre, then finished the ogre off by firing an explosive rivet into its chest, running up and slashing it. MA may been poo poo early on, but now it's awesome.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Yeah I've been doing that in BBI. Just did that and killed a harpy, almost killed an ogre, then finished the ogre off by firing an explosive rivet into its chest, running up and slashing it. MA may been poo poo early on, but now it's awesome.

The last time I rolled around as a Magick Archer, I got attacked by a pair of Elder Ogres in an enclosed hallway in BBI. I unleashed the Ricochet Hunters. My friend who was watching said that he thought he just witnessed a hate crime.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Ricochet Shot is a cool skill.

I never get tired of bringing Daimon over to the entrance and stunlocking him with it :allears:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Rancid Bait + Explosive Rivet + Cursed Drake = Easy Dragonforging!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Haha, just got my un-upgraded Heaven's Key and Dragon's Breath dragonforged thanks to a cursed dragon. :3:

e: Wish I had known the cursed drake with the dark bishop could dragonforce your stuff, I would have equipped another weapon.

ee: Haha, started a new character on another account, and found a Schierke pawn in the encampment. :v:

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 4, 2013

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Haha, just got my un-upgraded Heaven's Key and Dragon's Breath dragonforged thanks to a cursed dragon. :3:

e: Wish I had known the cursed drake with the dark bishop could dragonforce your stuff, I would have equipped another weapon.

Yeah, the dragonpope there is the most reliable way to dragonforge, aside from ol' Grigori. Later on you'll be able to fight him all you like. He's the method most people use to dragonforge gear on-demand.

(The spoiler is maybe an incredibly minor plot spoiler, as it's mostly about game mechanics, but I wanted to be safe.)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Just killed Dark Bishop on my BBI only challenge run. Throwblasts OP as gently caress.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
They really should have put a radial equipment menu on one of the d-pad buttons instead of duplicating the help pawn command. It would be so nice to be able to chug curatives and switch between different weapons, arrows and throwables on the fly without having to go into the menu. As it is I've never tried any of the thrown gear since it's such a pain to equip and being able to switch weapons on the fly would make using the debilitating weapons and the hybrid classes much more fun. Not that I still don't run around with upgraded rusted weapons since at will torpor is so nice.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Can Masterful Kill parry Death's scythe?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I don't think so, but you can give it a shot :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Can Masterful Kill parry Death's scythe?

I tried this once. I was glad I had a Wakestone.

Any contact with Death's scythe means, well, death, I guess. Masterful Kill did get me through my first fight with a Living Armor totally unscathed, though, so it has that going for it.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
So I think I hosed up. At the bottom of Everfall I get a story event about a big tentacle monster who proceeds to gently caress up my pawns. I run outside and it autosaves that checkpoint. Doing some reading on the wiki about portcrystals it says in DA there is a portcrystal right there that I missed. Was I able to grab that?

The save system in this game is a bit infuriating at times.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Picking this up on PSPlus today, it's been over a year since I played this. I wanted to try out the bow classes this time, but wasn't sure if assassin had that many bow skills? Or should I stick with magic archer/ranger area?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Assassin is one of my favorite vocations, and yeah, it's pretty good with a bow. It doesn't get a huge variety of skills, but it gets most of the important ones (Fivefold Flurry, Mighty Bend, and Pentad Shot, especially). Pick up some Blast Arrows and have a grand old time. Plus, the Assassin's dagger and sword skills are things of beauty.

Magick Archer is a very different beast. They don't use the same kinds of bows, or bow skills, as other "rogue" vocations. They use "magick bows" that fire homing bolts and their bow skills are more like spells. They're a whole hell of a lot of fun, though. They can also use their daggers to light themselves on fire, cling to enemies, and burn-stab them to death.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

People never mention the incredible holy BFG shot that magick archers get as a dagger skill. The first time I tried that it picked up a group of white saurians, carried them into a wall and ground them into paste.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BlueDestiny posted:

People never mention the incredible holy BFG shot that magick archers get as a dagger skill. The first time I tried that it picked up a group of white saurians, carried them into a wall and ground them into paste.

I always had a tough time aiming Grand Scension, but that's probably more my fault than the skill's.

Magick Archers have such a wealth of amazing dagger skills that it's hard to know which ones to squeeze into your measly three slots. I usually can't justify dropping Hundred Kisses in case I need to climb something, and Magick Rebalancer is such a great buff that it pretty much has to stick around. That leaves one slot that I generally rotate between Immolation, Shadowshackle, and Grand Scension. I guess I could drop Hundred Kisses and stick to shooting large enemies from afar, but then I wouldn't get to light myself on fire very often.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Picking this up on PSPlus today, it's been over a year since I played this. I wanted to try out the bow classes this time, but wasn't sure if assassin had that many bow skills? Or should I stick with magic archer/ranger area?

I'd say go either Assassin or MA. They both get really good skills and are arguably the two best classes in the game.

Assassin is nice in terms of stat growth since they have really good ones, meaning you can start as Warrior, switch to Assassin at lv10, and not have to worry one bit about having a poor stat spread. MA, on the other hand, is best if you level for a while as Sorcerer, and have the magic boosting augment the Sorcerer gives you..

They both have access to daggers and (a type of) bow, so which you'd prefer would depend on the abilities of each class, unless you'd like having access to a sword and shield as well, then you'd want assassin. Here's a video showing all of MA's abilities, and here's one for Assassin. If you don't want to check them out (they spoil the post-game, if you haven't done it), my favorite abilities for each class are

Assassin
  • Masterfull Kill (Dagger) - you can parry any non-grab physical attack (giant club from 50 foot giant? no problem) and do a powerful counter. Timing is also quite easy.
  • Gale Harness (Dagger)- doubles the speed of everything you do, lasts for 40 seconds.
  • Back Kick (Dagger) - kung fu kick to send enemies flying
  • Invisibility (Dagger) - constant stamina drain while active, but you're completely invulnerable
  • Fivefold Furry (Bow) - fire 5 arrows with one shot; once you've activated it, all firings will be 5 shots until you activate another skill or put the bow away
  • Lyncean Sight (Bow) - sniper vision bow shot

Magic Archer
  • Grand Scension (Dagger) - send a ball of holy light along the ground in front of you. picks enemies up and constantly hits them, can also hurl them off of cliffs/into pits with this.
  • Magic Rebalancer (Dagger) - Demon's periaps (magic boosting item) that you can use at will, essentially. Stacks up to 4 times and lasts 90 seconds.
  • Immolation (Dagger) - set yourself on fire
  • Sixfold Arrow (Bow) - firing six ice arrows that will hit an enemy multiple times, often stunning them/knocking them into the air
  • Explosive Rivet - fire three explosive arrows that you can then detonate with a melee strike. you can use up to 3(?) at once, and this will stun most foes.
  • Ricochet Hunter - lightning arrows that ricochet and become more powerful with each bounce; virtually useless in wide open areas, ungodly powerful in tight spaces.

If you want my opinion, go Magic Archer. They take considerably longer to get good (though they're by no means awful early on), but once you have a good base magic attack, and a good bow (like the on you can get from killing Grigori), they are loving insane, especially on Bitterblack Isle, the new content included in Dark Arisen.

Guydoingthis
May 24, 2010

The Gunslinger posted:

So I think I hosed up. At the bottom of Everfall I get a story event about a big tentacle monster who proceeds to gently caress up my pawns. I run outside and it autosaves that checkpoint. Doing some reading on the wiki about portcrystals it says in DA there is a portcrystal right there that I missed. Was I able to grab that?

The save system in this game is a bit infuriating at times.

You're fine. I did the same thing and it turns out you can go back inside and grab it later. I went back in after a few sidequests and the tentacle monster wasn't in there, so it wasn't difficult.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I just realized Fournival sells infinite Periaps. This aught to make BBI a bit easier.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Genocyber posted:

I just realized Fournival sells infinite Periaps. This aught to make BBI a bit easier.

Last time I caught Fournival (since he's a bastard to find in post-game), I bought 999 Conqueror's and Demon's Periapts and stashed them. I burn through those things so drat quick in BBI since you can stack them four at a time.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Harrow posted:

Last time I caught Fournival (since he's a bastard to find in post-game), I bought 999 Conqueror's and Demon's Periapts and stashed them. I burn through those things so drat quick in BBI since you can stack them four at a time.

If you want easy access to Fournival post-game you can always do this :unsmigghh::

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
Those of you playing for the first time, take note that with the expansion you really have two very distinct games.

The main portion of the game is an open world where you can go pretty much wherever you like (which means you will run into high level enemies, save often). The expansion content however is a dungeon crawler that doesn't pull any punches. They're two very different experiences, in my opinion BBI (expansion content) is the better part.

The irc.synirc.net channel #dogmagoons usually has some veterans hanging around if you need some advice and the spreadsheet in the first post contains goon pawns that can help you out.

e: obligatory dangan, never forget

mirarant fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 6, 2013

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mirarant posted:

Those of you playing for the first time, take note that with the expansion you really have two very distinct games.

The main portion of the game is an open world where you can go pretty much wherever you like (which means you will run into high level enemies, save often). The expansion content however is a dungeon crawler that doesn't pull any punches. They're two very different experiences, in my opinion BBI (expansion content) is the better part.

Agreed completely. I enjoyed the Gransys portion of the game quite a bit, but Bitterblack Isle is just fantastic on every level. I do wish room layouts didn't repeat so often, but aside from that, I love pretty much everything Bitterblack stands for. That's weird, too, because the RNG mechanics of Everfall chests bothered the hell out of me, but somehow purifying Bitterblack items is less frustrating.

Edit: Also, I forgot to mention that the story elements in Bitterblack Isle are, I think, meaningfully better than the vast majority of the main game. It does what an expansion should, I think: takes a narrower scope (and in this case a more personal one) but expands on the world's lore in some unexpected directions.

I have no idea. The point is Bitterblack is awesome. It might bode well for Deep Down, actually, which seems to have a similar "lost in a dark, sinister labyrinth that is constantly trying to kill you in creative ways" vibe.

mirarant posted:

e: obligatory dangan, never forget

:japan:

That song seemed so out of place the first time played the vanilla version, and now I miss it so much. Somehow it's so right for Dragon's Dogma.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 6, 2013

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Bring back Dangan for Dragma 2, Capcom.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Just loop Into Free the entire game, and then for the end credits and post-game put in a dubstep remix of it.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Genocyber posted:

I'd say go either Assassin or MA. They both get really good skills and are arguably the two best classes in the game.

Assassin is nice in terms of stat growth since they have really good ones, meaning you can start as Warrior, switch to Assassin at lv10, and not have to worry one bit about having a poor stat spread. MA, on the other hand, is best if you level for a while as Sorcerer, and have the magic boosting augment the Sorcerer gives you..

They both have access to daggers and (a type of) bow, so which you'd prefer would depend on the abilities of each class, unless you'd like having access to a sword and shield as well, then you'd want assassin. Here's a video showing all of MA's abilities, and here's one for Assassin. If you don't want to check them out (they spoil the post-game, if you haven't done it), my favorite abilities for each class are

Assassin
  • Masterfull Kill (Dagger) - you can parry any non-grab physical attack (giant club from 50 foot giant? no problem) and do a powerful counter. Timing is also quite easy.
  • Gale Harness (Dagger)- doubles the speed of everything you do, lasts for 40 seconds.
  • Back Kick (Dagger) - kung fu kick to send enemies flying
  • Invisibility (Dagger) - constant stamina drain while active, but you're completely invulnerable
  • Fivefold Furry (Bow) - fire 5 arrows with one shot; once you've activated it, all firings will be 5 shots until you activate another skill or put the bow away
  • Lyncean Sight (Bow) - sniper vision bow shot

Magic Archer
  • Grand Scension (Dagger) - send a ball of holy light along the ground in front of you. picks enemies up and constantly hits them, can also hurl them off of cliffs/into pits with this.
  • Magic Rebalancer (Dagger) - Demon's periaps (magic boosting item) that you can use at will, essentially. Stacks up to 4 times and lasts 90 seconds.
  • Immolation (Dagger) - set yourself on fire
  • Sixfold Arrow (Bow) - firing six ice arrows that will hit an enemy multiple times, often stunning them/knocking them into the air
  • Explosive Rivet - fire three explosive arrows that you can then detonate with a melee strike. you can use up to 3(?) at once, and this will stun most foes.
  • Ricochet Hunter - lightning arrows that ricochet and become more powerful with each bounce; virtually useless in wide open areas, ungodly powerful in tight spaces.

If you want my opinion, go Magic Archer. They take considerably longer to get good (though they're by no means awful early on), but once you have a good base magic attack, and a good bow (like the on you can get from killing Grigori), they are loving insane, especially on Bitterblack Isle, the new content included in Dark Arisen.

Mystic Knight has pretty decent stat growth as well, and is essentially the melee counterpart to Magic Archer.

Badass Skills:

• Sky Rapture (Sword/Mace) - Do an air-dash and then lay the smack down! Has a very high chance of stumbling large creatures such as Chimeras and Cockatrices.
  • Great MOTHERFUCKING Cannon (Sword/Mace) - Conjure a ball of energy that inherits your current elemental enchantment (neutral if unenchanted). Smack that ball to release target-seeking missiles of utter annihilation. You can conjure multiple "cannons" and shots fired from one will trigger the next. Stack them on top of one another to dump all over the most fearsome of enemies.
  • Stone Forest (Sword/Mace) - Release a nova of spikes that gently caress up anything that gets too close. Hell yes.
  • Ruinous Sigil (Sword/Mace) - Leave a sigil on the ground that inherits your elemental enchantment that will gently caress up anyone who steps into it. Awesome insurance policy for casting longer spells.

• (Element) Riposte (Magic Shield) - Enchant your shield with (Element), performing a perfect block will cause that enchantment to lash out at your enemies.
  • (Element) Trance (Magic Shield) - Enchant everyone's weapons with (Element), boosting STR and MAG in the process.
  • Holy Grace (Magic Shield) - Heal yourself whenever you perform a perfect block. Nice.
  • Holy Furor (Magic Shield) - The Dragon's Dogma equivalent of setting off a nuclear bomb. If you can manage to cast this it will drain the stamina of you and your pawns, but nothing will be left alive to oppose you, so it's a fair trade.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

sitchelin posted:

Mystic Knight has pretty decent stat growth as well, and is essentially the melee counterpart to Magic Archer.

Badass Skills:

[*](Element) Riposte (Magic Shield) - Enchant your shield with (Element), performing a perfect block will cause that enchantment to lash out at your enemies.

[/list]

Perfect blocking some archer's shots and lightning bolting his rear end from across the map is so much goddamn fun.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Just picked up this game on PS+, do I need to worry about messing up my stats if I level the wrong class early on? I know ultimately I want to go with either the Fighter/Mage or Strider/Mage hybrid but I'm not sure which yet, so I just picked a Strider to start.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Harrow posted:

That song seemed so out of place the first time played the vanilla version, and now I miss it so much. Somehow it's so right for Dragon's Dogma.

Exactly my thoughts. It just works so well for the pile of crazy that is this game.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Adam Bowen posted:

Just picked up this game on PS+, do I need to worry about messing up my stats if I level the wrong class early on? I know ultimately I want to go with either the Fighter/Mage or Strider/Mage hybrid but I'm not sure which yet, so I just picked a Strider to start.
Unless you want to mega min max, no. It's pretty easy to just overlevel and wreck things without an outlined plan for stat growth. Strider is pretty solid. Its last Augment you get is pretty great for any class, as is the Sinew Augment from being a Fighter (much earlier than max vocation rank, though). You're going to be wandering a lot, might as well lighten the load.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Note anyone who has my pawn on the PS3, I restarted my character. Which this time I managed to get the import bonus to work. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I sent you a friend invite and you never responded. :(

Still, I'll help you juice up your guy because I'm cool like that.

• Locked thread