Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Skyl3lazer posted:

Got a new one today:

I love how it doesn't even take a single brief glimpse into why Wal-Mart has been successful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hey! That's the same exact chain letter that got me into this thread.

This may come as a shock, but it's all bullshit and the person who forwarded it to you will probably say that they thought it was interesting and/or funny.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
This one is comparatively tame, but I'm trying to think of a simple, to the point response to it that covers the most basic reason that this is wrong. Succinctness as opposed to thoroughness.

Brevity is hard.

quote:

Metaphors that make sense: the Obama administration is a mafia

If Obamacare were a person passing you on the sidewalk, he would pull out a gun, stick it to your forehead and scream at you to "Give me all your money or else!" The so-called "Affordable Care Act" is built on a foundation of coercion and theft. It is not a voluntary program. It does not ask for nor require your consent. It is a grotesque example of government abuses gone terribly wrong at the hands of a wildly deceptive, insidious administration that honors no law whatsoever.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Iunnrais posted:

This one is comparatively tame, but I'm trying to think of a simple, to the point response to it that covers the most basic reason that this is wrong. Succinctness as opposed to thoroughness.

Brevity is hard.

The same could be said for every form of tax. Including the taxes that are paying for <thing you like, probably aircraft carriers>.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
These kinds of people would be ok with no taxes ever so they're really hard to dissuade from the "Taxes are theft" mindset.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

ArchangeI posted:

The same could be said for every form of tax. Including the taxes that are paying for <thing you like, probably aircraft carriers>.

Bingo. Perfect, thanks.

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005
Got this FW:FW:FW from my dad today, preceded by his own question to me: "Still think President FUBAR is great?".

I considered a point-by-point evisceration of the accusations by DR. DAVID ARROWSMITH but instead just responded with: "Yep. Better than the alternative."

Look out old white retirees! Obama is in full political mode and free cell phones and stuff. Only 86% will send this on! You're probably wondering how I got so specific about the percentage, but you see I'm a doctor and

quote:

THANKS TO DR. DAVID ARROWSMITH

I have no problem sending this to EVERYONE. Please consider doing the same,

It's incredible that 42% of Americans think that this unqualified, incompetent, dishonorable, ego-driven fraud is doing a good job. Take a moment. Admit it to yourself. You know who his supporters are. They are the people that YOU support---financially.

Did you notice whom Obama threatened when he wasn't getting his way on raising the debt ceiling? He threatened not to pay:

- Social Security Retirees

- Military Retirees

- Social Security

- Disability

and

-Federal Retirees.

Now let this sink in really well...

- He did not threaten to stop payments to illegal aliens.

- He did not threaten to take frivolous benefits such as Internet access away from violent inmates.

- He did not offer to fire some of the thousands of unnecessary federal employees that he hired.

- He did not offer to cut down on his or his wife's frivolous gallivanting around--- $20 Million already spent this year on family vacations. (One Million on a FL golf outing). All our money...why not?

- He didn't threaten farm subsidies.

- He did not threaten not to pay the senators and representatives or any of their staff.

- He did not threaten to take benefits away from welfare recipients or to stop the free cell phones they get.

- He did not threaten the food stamp programs.

- He did not threaten to reduce payments in foreign aid.

- He did not threaten to cut back on anything that involves his base voters.

- The list could go on and on. He is in full political mode!

Why are we allowing this person to destroy this wonderful country with his selfishness and his lies? Have WE lost our blooming minds!!!!!!!!

His type of change is killing our country. He needs to be stopped. Do not forget about his tactics when it's election time 2014. Get out and Vote in the mid-term election - 2014. Support the people in the House and Senate that are willing to cut taxes and spending. Let's make 2014 - the beginning of a turn-around. Forget change

. We want our $$$$$$$$ back and we want to take our country back!

We the people are coming.

Only 86% will send this on. Should be 100%. What will you do?

ONE FLAG, ONE LANGUAGE, ONE NATION UNDER GOD!

In God We Trust

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Oh my god, we've elected a politician to office! Noooooooo

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

So, in the debt ceiling discussion, Obama should have lied and told the nation "Don't worry, if the federal government can't issue new debt, we can immediately balance the budget by cutting off internet access for prisoners and ending foreign aid. The largest expenditures of the government: Social Security, Medicare, and Defense won't be affected at all" ????

quote:

- He didn't threaten farm subsidies.
Wait, farm subsidies are a bad wasteful government program now? Then why do Republicans love them so much?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Iunnrais posted:

Brevity is hard.

quote:

If Social Security were a person passing you on the sidewalk, he would pull out a gun, stick it to your forehead and scream at you to "Give me all your money or else!" The so-called "Social Security Act" is built on a foundation of coercion and theft. It is not a voluntary program. It does not ask for nor require your consent. It is a grotesque example of government abuses gone terribly wrong at the hands of a wildly deceptive, insidious administration that honors no law whatsoever.

You could always take the other tack and push the pedal to the floor and see how crazy you can get them to go.

"Obamacare isn't theft, it's slavery." :pseudo:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

If Social Security were a person passing you on the sidewalk, he would pull out a gun, stick it to your forehead and scream at you to "Give me all your money or else!" The so-called "Social Security Act" is built on a foundation of coercion and theft. It is not a voluntary program. It does not ask for nor require your consent. It is a grotesque example of government abuses gone terribly wrong at the hands of a wildly deceptive, insidious administration that honors no law whatsoever.

Much like the taxation rebuttal, the problem here is what if that guy doesn't like Social Security either :ohdear:

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008

Caustic posted:

Got this FW:FW:FW from my dad today, preceded by his own question to me: "Still think President FUBAR is great?".

I considered a point-by-point evisceration of the accusations by DR. DAVID ARROWSMITH but instead just responded with: "Yep. Better than the alternative."

Look out old white retirees! Obama is in full political mode and free cell phones and stuff. Only 86% will send this on! You're probably wondering how I got so specific about the percentage, but you see I'm a doctor and

What is that "ONE FLAG, ONE LANGUAGE, ONE NATION" poo poo at the bottom? And what does it have to do with government shutdowns?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ein Reich Ein Volk Ein Fuhrer

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

emptyspace posted:

What is that "ONE FLAG, ONE LANGUAGE, ONE NATION" poo poo at the bottom? And what does it have to do with government shutdowns?

Nothing. It's just the Horn of Whitemandor being sounded.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

emptyspace posted:

I don't know what ONE FLAG has to do with anything, but you'd think people who believed that wouldn't be so keen on flying the Confederate flag everywhere.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

emptyspace posted:

But what if the one flag is... a false one?! :tinfoil:

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Skyl3lazer posted:

Got a new one today:

The last time I saw that one I told them that if they wanted to vote for someone who was part of that success they could vote for Hillary Clinton, former member of the Walmart board of directors.

VitalSigns posted:

I don't know what ONE FLAG has to do with anything, but you'd think people who believed that wouldn't be so keen on flying the Confederate flag everywhere.

Conservatives whip themselves into a frenzy with pictures of people having Mexican flags in front of their houses or at protests and cultural festivals. Irish flags for things like Saint Patrick's day are different because of reasons.

TheGrizzle
Jul 3, 2007

McDowell posted:

Ein Reich Ein Volk Ein Fuhrer

I couldn't help but think of that either. "ONE NATION UNDER GOD!" would also fit with "Ein Tausendjaehriges Reich".

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

TheGrizzle posted:

I couldn't help but think of that either. "ONE NATION UNDER GOD!" would also fit with "Ein Tausendjaehriges Reich".

No, see, one of those is written in FOREIGN, so it cannot be similar in any way.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Soviet Commubot posted:

The last time I saw that one I told them that if they wanted to vote for someone who was part of that success they could vote for Hillary Clinton, former member of the Walmart board of directors.

Haha, an awesome turn. I'm sure they'd have a reason that it doesn't count, but it would be pretty cool for a while

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Iunnrais posted:

Brevity is hard.
Alternative:

quote:

Metaphors that make sense: the Obama administration is a police officer.

If Obamacare were a person passing you on the sidewalk, and he noticed you were naked except for a SOLO cup, he would say "Hey man you're kind of exposed there and there's a blizzard coming, you should get some clothes on! I've set up some stores over there where other people are selling clothes, you can buy from one of them if you like any and don't have clothes already. If you don't I'll have to fine you for indecent exposure." The so-called "Affordable Care Act" is built on a realization that half of all bankruptcies are caused by medical bills, and that 2/3 of those had (inadequate) insurance. It is not a voluntary program and it does not ask for nor require your consent because it requires as many people to sign up for the math to work out, but you can accept the fine if you decide that's what's best. It is not a grotesque example of government abuses gone terribly wrong at the hands of a wildly deceptive, insidious administration that honors no law whatsoever, because 1) it's a law put in place by elected officials (and could be repealed by elected officials if enough people wanted it gone), 2) it's making things phenomenally better for many more people than are inconvenienced, and 3) it's trying to address one of the biggest drains on the economy and the budget, which is healthcare and its rising cost.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Well I had a huge argument blow up on Facebook about Obamacare today. Rather than post it all on here when it's very, very long, here's a link to the album:

http://imgur.com/a/SC0Is

Highlights:
  • A guy comparing Obama to Hitler
  • Pretty much everyone accusing me of "drinking the kool-aid"
  • Communism and wealth redistribution (I wish :smith:)
  • Congress is exempt!

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Caustic posted:

"Yep. Better than the alternative."

"I didn't vote for Obama, I voted against Romney."

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
SNL had a sketch recently play mocking the 93% approval rating Obama has with black voters where one of the joke questions was, "At any point did you wish you voted for Mitt Romney?" I feel that's a reasonable question to ask and much more accurate a question than the general approval rating questions.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

If only Obama would offer to fire thousands of employees. To refuse to do that is just so political of him.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Sardine Wit posted:

If only Obama would offer to fire thousands of employees. To refuse to do that is just so political of him.

Of corse not! Federal employees aren't people, they are cash stoked furnaces! :freep:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Anubis posted:

SNL had a sketch recently play mocking the 93% approval rating Obama has with black voters where one of the joke questions was, "At any point did you wish you voted for Mitt Romney?" I feel that's a reasonable question to ask and much more accurate a question than the general approval rating questions.

I really liked the line in that "Who actually likes insurance plans?"

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I give myself even odds of being banned from the Middle Class Is Drowning facebook group. If the dude who runs it explodes or does something funny, I'll post the conversation.

This is the image he posted. I said "It looks like you accidentally posted a libertarian meme."

FAKE EDIT: In going back to the meme to find out what I posted, the guy deleted my comments and I can no longer comment on anything. Classy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Soonmot posted:

I give myself even odds of being banned from the Middle Class Is Drowning facebook group. If the dude who runs it explodes or does something funny, I'll post the conversation.

This is the image he posted. I said "It looks like you accidentally posted a libertarian meme."

FAKE EDIT: In going back to the meme to find out what I posted, the guy deleted my comments and I can no longer comment on anything. Classy.

Raw milk is really, really not a good idea.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Uhhhh "love the wrong person"? It's not really the government's fault that gays can't get married, and I doubt that Libertarians are in support of LGBT rights in the first place. And I don't even get where the "cut your hair without gov't approval" is coming from unless it's just standard hyperbole.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Soonmot posted:

Unable to collect rainfall? Unable to open a lemonade stand? Cut hair without permission?

:psyduck:

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

J.A.B.C. posted:

Unable to collect rainfall?
:psyduck:
Illegal without a permit in Colorado, at least.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Pope Guilty posted:

Raw milk is really, really not a good idea.

Why don't you let the free market determine whether or not Tuberculosis is a hazard, buddy.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's not really the government's fault that gays can't get married,
How not?

J.A.B.C. posted:

Cut hair without permission?
In many (all?) states, barbers have to be licensed.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

gradenko_2000 posted:

I doubt that Libertarians are in support of LGBT rights in the first place.
Lots of the young Libertarian crowd are, and the the party is too.

It's a good point on a bad list.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Trivia posted:

"I didn't vote for Obama, I voted against Romney."

I voted for Good Cop.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Lots of the young Libertarian crowd are, and the the party is too.

It's a good point on a bad list.

It's also the answer to "why don't they just go Republican?"

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

They really go nuts about the milk thing. It seems to be a throw away line but I hear it a lot. It usually comes in a conversation about how taxes are theft backed by violence (although when is a libertarian not talking about taxes being theft)

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

myron cope posted:

They really go nuts about the milk thing. It seems to be a throw away line but I hear it a lot. It usually comes in a conversation about how taxes are theft backed by violence (although when is a libertarian not talking about taxes being theft)

I lived with a libertarian, he adored taxes is theft arguments and raw milk. Whenever I tried to argue that food standards are a thing that we should probably be happy about, he'd simply reply that it is not in a companies interest to let people die from poor quality, and thus would never happen in a glorious Free Market.

It really is a religion to them.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

The raw milk thing is one of the purest forms of the petulant "don't tell me what to do!" attitude that is the basis for libertarianism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Spangly A posted:

I lived with a libertarian, he adored taxes is theft arguments and raw milk. Whenever I tried to argue that food standards are a thing that we should probably be happy about, he'd simply reply that it is not in a companies interest to let people die from poor quality, and thus would never happen in a glorious Free Market.

Man those Chinese companies exporting toys with lead just don't get capitalism. Jokes on them!