Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yup, better check out now which table you are on. It's a massive difference if your're on the shitlist tables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I'm just shy of 40 hours played and I haven't even checked what table I'm on.

So for some reason I've completed all the 5 star quests available and there's no new quests. I tried finishing all the quests I'd skipped but that didn't work. What gives? Do I have to start doing the multiplayer quests now?

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

cat doter posted:

I'm just shy of 40 hours played and I haven't even checked what table I'm on.

So for some reason I've completed all the 5 star quests available and there's no new quests. I tried finishing all the quests I'd skipped but that didn't work. What gives? Do I have to start doing the multiplayer quests now?

You have to do one of the resource things that Junior gives. Building a base camp for your Ceadeus fight I believe. Just did it myself and it unlocked the urgent quest.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Well, assuming table 6 isn't sufficiently poo poo for me to restart, I guess I'll go right back to some dumb newbie questions.

I'm really digging how different the different weapon types feel, and I've taken a liking to sword/shield, lance, and switch axe. I'm wondering if I'm missing any sort of specific niche where one of these wouldn't hold up so well.

Also, are ranged weapons good solo at all? With no targeting and with aiming being kinda clumsy (I miss more often than I'd care to admit even with melee) I'm finding them pretty impractical.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I was doing the port quests and I finally get to the HR urgent quest: a 50 minute fight with a gold Ceadeus. Great.

I sense it'll be a horrible slog of a fight.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Ashsaber posted:

Oh, any DBs to work on early on? Right now I've only got the Jaggi set and the default set, since elemental attacks come later, but I would like to know if there's something better.

Elemental attacks don't really matter much until the end of high rank and G-rank so defense is more important. I used Jaggi and then Barroth for most of Low Rank then made a set of Lagiacrus armour that I ended up using for like two hours while I made a Jaggi S and Wroggi S set in high rank.

Meldonox posted:

Well, assuming table 6 isn't sufficiently poo poo for me to restart, I guess I'll go right back to some dumb newbie questions.

I'm really digging how different the different weapon types feel, and I've taken a liking to sword/shield, lance, and switch axe. I'm wondering if I'm missing any sort of specific niche where one of these wouldn't hold up so well.

Also, are ranged weapons good solo at all? With no targeting and with aiming being kinda clumsy (I miss more often than I'd care to admit even with melee) I'm finding them pretty impractical.

You can use any weapon against any monster, but sometimes it's trickier based on the way they move. I find fighting Gigginox with a regular lance an absolute bitch since he flips around like an rear end in a top hat so much, but gunlances work better because they're slightly more nimble. For almost every weapon it's more about learning the ins and outs of both the weapon and the dude you're fighting rather than 'this weapon does not work against this monster'.

As for ranged, I quite like bows (not even just the broken-as-poo poo Kelbi bow in G-rank), but bowguns are considerably harder to get into since you have to spend more time juggling and reloading ammo.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Sodium Chloride posted:

I was doing the port quests and I finally get to the HR urgent quest: a 50 minute fight with a gold Ceadeus. Great.

I sense it'll be a horrible slog of a fight.
At the very least, they save you the horror of having to make that initial long rear end swim.

Meldonox posted:

Table 6 is plenty solid, so you don't need to worry about that.

As long as you have a decent selection of weapons you're comfortable with, you'll probably be fine. Of course, more variety under your belt means more options, so it never hurts to pick up more weapons.

The ranged weapons can work well in solo, but they have a handful of mechanics that are a lot less intuitive. For example, one big thing is how ranged weapons have distance modifiers, where the amount of damage you deal is dependent on how far you are from the monster. Some melee weapons have distance modifiers, but they aren't as dramatic as the ones with gunning, especially because melee weapons have to be in melee range. Gunners can be at a whole variety of distances around the target.

If you do end up looking towards bowguns (you should, they're pretty drat cool), here's a handy guide that explains a lot of the mechanics surrounding them, as well as strategies for various bosses you'll encounter.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/642342-monster-hunter-3-ultimate/faqs/66937

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Played for a couple hours tonight, fought the R Ludroth twice and finished collecting some other stuff. Having a blast with L Bowguns and Dual Blades, might also look into Bows in the future. For now I just have to capture a few R Ludroths to get some Aqua sacs for the Ludroth pair.

Don't know when I'll get into multiplayer, especially since I'ld be the worst teammate. I just love my Pellet shots too much, which makes the Royal Torrent quite the nice gun for me.

Sefira
Oct 29, 2013
Bowguns are my favourite weapon. I bring them everywhere, usually heavy ones. You just have to remember that despite being "ranged" it's a much better idea to get up close and empty your hot clip all over the monster's face, since despite being a ranged weapon it is not very effective fighting at range. Even the "long range" shots are mid-range at best.

The only shot types you can snipe with are the explosive ones, really. In single player, you're not going to be sniping anything because the monster will be after you, and in multiplayer you REALLY don't want bomblets raining down on your hapless melee comrades clustered around its feet.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Got this today and I landed on table 13 and I'm guessing it's not a bad one. Is there any way to find out what table has rustshards?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Marogareh posted:

Got this today and I landed on table 13 and I'm guessing it's not a bad one. Is there any way to find out what table has rustshards?

12 and 16 are the ones with no rustshards at all, 13 is just fine. Did MH4 happen to remove or rework these stupid things?

Elec
Feb 25, 2007
I'm sorry to butt in here but I wanted a kind of "casual" game to play on my Vita, was poking around, and had forgotten about the Airu Poka Poka Village G game, so I snagged that. (Japan goon)
I've never played Animal Crossing but I assume it's something like that? Go around, gather stuff, make catte friends, go on catte quests, get more stuff, get more cats... I just love these dang cats. It's pretty fun, actually, though at the beginning you only get half-days which kind of makes you antsy to fit in a bunch of activities.
My favorite thing so far about it is, whenever you encounter a new item or new information, you get CULTURE SHOCKED!.

Probably not going to play the puzzle game though, unless I have some spare money on PSN and a dearth of games.

Anyway even though I don't have a 3DS I still like reading this thread and seeing people's reactions, opinions, etc. All my friends and coworkers play though so I guess second-hand hunting is good enough!

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
Man I'm up to 5 stars and the only quest I have is to capture a lagiacrus. I've been putting it off for days because I hated fighting it for the previous hunt quest.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Bunleigh posted:

Man I'm up to 5 stars and the only quest I have is to capture a lagiacrus. I've been putting it off for days because I hated fighting it for the previous hunt quest.

The Circle Pad Pro really helps make the underwater combat more bearable.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
Well I sacked up and did it. It's not really the camera control that makes me hate water fights, I just slow and helpless in the water. And the lagi in particular is constantly lashing out and staggering me which makes it a pain in the rear end trying to get close enough to hit him.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
A Lance and guard+ makes Lagi piss easy. I didn't mind the underwater controls in Tri but it feels way off for me in ultimate.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
So I'm fairly new to the whole Monster Hunter scene, but I wanted to know how exactly the multiplayer stuff and Hunter Rank works? I went to the little port recently with Multi engaged and rang the gong. I sat around for hours and saw no one ever come in. Is it just dead at low levels? I feel like I'm going to have a hard time getting past this HR1 thing with no one to group with.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Are you playing on the 3DS or WiiU?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Rexicon1 posted:

So I'm fairly new to the whole Monster Hunter scene, but I wanted to know how exactly the multiplayer stuff and Hunter Rank works? I went to the little port recently with Multi engaged and rang the gong. I sat around for hours and saw no one ever come in. Is it just dead at low levels? I feel like I'm going to have a hard time getting past this HR1 thing with no one to group with.

On the 3DS, multiplayer is Local Only. On the Wii U, Multi Port is for 1 Wii U and up to 3 3DSes for local play; on the Wii U, you have to go into Online Mode, NOT Multi Port.

The gong is for a psuedomultiplayer component called Hunters for Hire that allow you to send cached versions of player's you've StreetPassed or have co-oped with on quests for a small but convenient amount of resources.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

DoctorWhat posted:

The gong is for a psuedomultiplayer component called Hunters for Hire that allow you to send cached versions of player's you've StreetPassed or have co-oped with on quests for a small but convenient amount of resources.

Do you have to have that player's guild card for that?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Do you have to have that player's guild card for that?

I think so, yeah, but I was simplifying.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
Can anyone recommend any bows I should be going for? Right now I have Wroggi Revolver II, Arca Raptora, Broken Heart, and Heartshot Bow I and I've only really used the last 2.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Rexicon1 posted:

You need to either be playing the Wii U version or have a Wii U that you can use as a gateway (I haven't bothered figuring out how that works because I only play on the Wii U for multiplayer). If you don't have either of those you're kinda SOL for online multiplayer.

Geddy Krueger posted:

Can anyone recommend any bows I should be going for? Right now I have Wroggi Revolver II, Arca Raptora, Broken Heart, and Heartshot Bow I and I've only really used the last 2.

The various Bnahabra bows (Arko Nulo) are decent for a bit of elemental oomph and are fairly easy to farm (bring the wroggi bow and poison arrows and/or smoke bombs and a torch), but they get beaten out in their respective elements around high rank.

In general, this is a great page that you should learn to love: http://www.kiranico.com/weapon/

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

WeaponBoy posted:

You need to either be playing the Wii U version or have a Wii U that you can use as a gateway (I haven't bothered figuring out how that works because I only play on the Wii U for multiplayer). If you don't have either of those you're kinda SOL for online multiplayer.

The various Bnahabra bows (Arko Nulo) are decent for a bit of elemental oomph and are fairly easy to farm (bring the wroggi bow and poison arrows and/or smoke bombs and a torch), but they get beaten out in their respective elements around high rank.

In general, this is a great page that you should learn to love: http://www.kiranico.com/weapon/

Wait really, the 3DS can't get other players online? That's tremendously dumb and antiquated. It's almost like this is a Japanese game, weird. Well, thanks for the info.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
The 3DS can go online... If you have a Wii U, an ethernet connection, and a specific app to tunnel...

The developers stated that they didn't really have experience/confidence to do online with MH3U, but got stuff working for MH4. But who knows when we'll see that game~ (never)

Bunleigh posted:

Well I sacked up and did it. It's not really the camera control that makes me hate water fights, I just slow and helpless in the water. And the lagi in particular is constantly lashing out and staggering me which makes it a pain in the rear end trying to get close enough to hit him.
Another option is to use exhaust damage. Dunno what weapon you're using, but there are a handful that are great at dealing exhaust damage. Once exhausted, Lagiacrus will prioritize getting out of the water. So using hammers/hunting horns/arrow rain/exhaust shot/etc can be quite handy.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

So is there no way for me to increase my HR? The couple of quests I've tried alone are super goddamn hard and I died a lot.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
To increase your HR at first, you'll need to clear out Key Quests in each rank of Port Quests. After you do them, you'll unlock the Urgent Quest, and upon clearing that, you'll advance to the next set of quests as well as ranking up. You can look up key quests online or just clear out anything that you haven't done, up to you. When you get past one of the later G Rank monsters, you'll also unlock the limit on your Hunter Rank, so it can shoot up into the 50s, 90s, 100s, etc.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
God drat, I just got to the Mark of a Hero quest and failed the quest for the first time since I got my Dios Axe. I got overconfident against the Ivory Lagiacrus while wearing the Nargacuga set (-25 lightning res), and he took my first life with his aoe from around 70% (with +50 hp) I lost my second life shortly after realizing he was doing around 95% of my base hp with any of his lightning attacks (took a blast face first when I didn't expect him to backstep and do it) and was really careful my third life, got him down, but eventually died to a roar combo from the Azure Rathalos+Brachydios. I'm pretty confident I can make it next time, but that fight was fun as hell, I can't wait to have another chance to go at it.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Mark of a hero is bullshit, come back with G rank equipment and you will have a much better experience.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

FrickenMoron posted:

Mark of a hero is bullshit, come back with G rank equipment and you will have a much better experience.

It wasn't that bad, really, I just got a tad overconfident a few times, but I was still only 25-30 minutes in when I died, and the Brachydios was doing most of the work on the A.Rath for me, I just need to bring some Ancient Potions and maybe a couple of traps and I should get it next time.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I'm still pretty early on and I've been running around with a totally mismatched set of armor, sort of a random selection of hunter, alloy, and one random piece of jaggi. I noticed that I have a few sets opening up that have different stats but cost the same, i.e. qurupeco armor seems to favor the horn. Should I even be worrying about the particulars right now? Is there anything I should absolutely seek out or avoid, or should I just build the most hilarious clown suit I can?

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Meldonox posted:

I'm still pretty early on and I've been running around with a totally mismatched set of armor, sort of a random selection of hunter, alloy, and one random piece of jaggi. I noticed that I have a few sets opening up that have different stats but cost the same, i.e. qurupeco armor seems to favor the horn. Should I even be worrying about the particulars right now? Is there anything I should absolutely seek out or avoid, or should I just build the most hilarious clown suit I can?

As long as you understand that armor gives ever-important skills, which are only activated at certain tiers (generally at +10, some at +15 and others at +20) wear whatever you want that grants the skills you're looking for. Jaggi is a pretty solid set that can last you a while, as is Wroggi. Volvidon also seems to be a great early game set, and I used it for a long time. These are assuming that you're a Blademaster, or that you use melee weapons.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Meldonox posted:

Before G-rank you should focus on making complete sets of armor, as you tend to get the most out of skills that way. For Low Rank, you could go for Wroggi, and later Rathalos armor. In High-Rank you should go for Wroggi S or Volvidon S, then upgrade to Rath Soul*.

*This is all assuming you're a Blademaster.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
The answer, at any rank, is basically to download some rear end. There is almost always a way to either crank your skills higher, get more slots so you can gem in a skill or at least swap one part to get rid of a negative. As a bonus, you'll often make clownsuits.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
How far do I have to go into the game before I can have the fish lady verify my table?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Not very far, pretty much just clear the tutorial and a few quests.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Tommorow I fight off 'Ol Leggy, then I guess the Gigginox and Rathian. I am quite happy to be able to diversify my Dual Blade collection finally, since it seems I'll soon be getting Dragon, poison, lightning and fire ones to go with my water and ice ones. About time to go :black101: on everything. I can't wait.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I made a beeline for the gobul duals and they do not disappoint. I just need to do my urgent so I can make every single G rank armor :swoon:

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

I got a room up in 01 Free A, Lobby 10 if anyone wants to join. Roomname is HRMarathon and the password is goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Can anyone tell me how status effects work against enemies in 3U? Because from how I understand the numbers I am reading Gobul Stunprogs (the first Par DBs) should stunlock basucally everything ever with Paralysis.

Also, just about to move onto 5* Village missions, and wondering if there's any armours in particular in the 4-5* range I should get. Currently rocking Wroggi melee and Barroth ranged sets, since they seem pretty good. Nothing else has really popped out at me though.

• Locked thread